Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2017 11:24:52 PM EDT
I have all the AR's I will ever need and I'm ready to move onto a new project. I've been reading on the practical rifle concept and I'm considering setting up a general purpose bolt action rifle.

It seems that the CZ 527 carbine is everything I'm looking for. Short, iron sights, light, detachable mag, but was looking for 308. 

I know they make it in 7.62x39 but I'm set with 223 ammo. Would it make more sense to get the 7.62 to have a .30 cal rifle or the .223 where I have an abundance of ammo?

Any other suggestions? I've considered the Ruger Scout but any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:54:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I went with a Mossberg MVP Patrol .308. It is short, has iron sights, detachable mags (P-mags and M1A mags) and it's quite accurate so far but I admit I do reload my own ammo. I am very happy with it although others may disagree. I did have to come up with a riser for the optic because of the rear sight but it wasn't really a big deal. I know they make other models but this suited me just fine and I just don't see a reason to get a bolt gun in .223, I have AR's for that caliber.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:03:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Other than the ammo I also have a Leopold Mark AR Mod 1 1.5x4 scope that I wasn't satisfied with on an AR that I'm probably going to mount on what ever rifle I get. I'm hoping that the ballistics of a 16 to 18 inch barreled .223 in a bolt gun should work close enough to allow me to use the marked turrets on the scope. I know I can use the scope on whatever caliber but I would loose the ability to use the turrets.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:21:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quick question:  what practicality do you gain in this concept over a lightweight build or SBR AR-15?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quick question:  what practicality do you gain in this concept over a lightweight build or SBR AR-15?
View Quote
Absolutely nothing, just another gun to carry, shoot and enjoy. 

I just like the idea of a short light bolt gun to throw in the truck or beat around the woods with. I have plenty of AR's and I enjoy them and understand that they can fill any practical role I would ever need. I'm just a little bored with the platform and I'm looking for something different. I'm not looking to replace my AR's just an alternative. 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm doing that very thing.  Remington 788 carbine (18.5" barrel), detachable magazine (but only 3-round capacity), in 7mm08.  In the process of lightening the stock and bedding.  They also come in 222 rem. 223?, 243 and 308.  The ones in 30-30 and 44 magnum are pretty rare and a bit spendy.  They will often shoot sub-MOA.  Timney makes a replacement trigger (that's what I have).
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Of the recent gen of affordable bolt guns the tikka t3 and ruger american ranch are top contenders but the lack of irons is holding me back.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I just like the idea of a short light bolt gun to throw in the truck or beat around the woods with. I have plenty of AR's and I enjoy them and understand that they can fill any practical role I would ever need. I'm just a little bored with the platform and I'm looking for something different. I'm not looking to replace my AR's just an alternative. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

based on your reply id say 308
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:54:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Savage Hog Hunter in 308 that's almost perfect for me.  

Fitted it with a Williams peep sight at the rear scope mount holes, removed the factory rear sight. Added a weaver scope base at the front of the receiver and put a rds sight.   Also put a A2 flash hider and some Grove Tech QD sling cups.  

One thing I don't love is the Savage inline Mag.  Most likely it's my fingers not working so well  but I have issues loading the Mag.  But I live with it.  

It's short,   accurate, quick to the shoulder and the FH makes it easy to shoot.  Slings well and it's not too heavy.   It's a rifle I'd take anywhere in North America.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does anyone have any experience with the current generation of Remington model seven? That would fit my list of wants pretty close
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#10]
how about a howa 1500 in 6.5 grendel? the 20" lightweight barrel would make for a handy rifle.having it cut down to 16.5" and threaded would be even better.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I found a used 527 in 223 today in good shape for $550, I might try and pick it up this weekend. I've almost talked myself into a Ruger American Ranch, it fits my needs except for the iron sights.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:20:01 PM EDT
[#12]
OP - go with the CZ.  The trigger that comes in CZ's rifles puts it ahead of most other offerings.  77gr TMK's or SMK's are still hard hitters.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:09:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have all the AR's I will ever need and I'm ready to move onto a new project. I've been reading on the practical rifle concept and I'm considering setting up a general purpose bolt action rifle.

It seems that the CZ 527 carbine is everything I'm looking for. Short, iron sights, light, detachable mag, but was looking for 308. 

I know they make it in 7.62x39 but I'm set with 223 ammo. Would it make more sense to get the 7.62 to have a .30 cal rifle or the .223 where I have an abundance of ammo?

Any other suggestions? I've considered the Ruger Scout but any other suggestions?
View Quote

Howa scout .308

Mossberg Thunder Ranch .308/ 7.62 NATO

Howa Mini action .223

Mossberg Thunder Ranch .223 / 5.56 NATO

Iron sights can be added to the Howa Mini action. Howa Mini and Mossberg 5.56 are both  small actions scaled proportionately to match the 5.56 round.

Your best option is to go to hit the fun shops and gun shows to see what you like best.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:01:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm not sold on the mossbergs they just don't feel right to me, the Howa scout is a little heavy but I've not seen or handled the Howa mini yet, off to the interwebs to track one down locally. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I found a used 527 in 223 today in good shape for $550, I might try and pick it up this weekend. I've almost talked myself into a Ruger American Ranch, it fits my needs except for the iron sights.
View Quote
What kind of twist rate on the barrel?  It might matter depending on what bullets you like.

*Edit*  looks like 1:9
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What kind of twist rate on the barrel?  It might matter depending on what bullets you like.
View Quote

that's the biggest thing with .223. it can be a decent option if it has a 1:8 or faster barrel. any less and it's rendered to varmint duty. (I'm not a big fan of the sub 70 class bullets aside from the tbbc and 62 bonded but those still are sub 300yd use in my opinion)
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Here is my practical bolt gun.  It weighs 11lbs 4oz as pictured with an empty mag.

Tikka T3 CTR w/ a T3x stock in 308Win
Bushnell LRTSi 3-12x44mm scope in a Nightforce 1.125" Unimount
Harris 6-9" SBRM Bipod
TIS Slip Cuff sling
10rd CTR/TRG22 magazines
Triad Tactical stock pad

It is hard to say no to the CTR when you can find the T3 for $767 and the T3x for $885.

Here is my less practical 17lb 2oz AI AT.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Howa miniaction in 6.5 Grendel or x39

Sweeeeet shooting gun
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#19]
While I didn't have the funds in me to bring it home, I did put a nice deposit down on the CZ 527 . Now to find a nice set of 1 inch qd rings.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice.  What caliber?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#21]
It's the .223, but I'm already on the hunt for an older Remington. 308 for a similar project maybe even a scout type rifle. I've reached out to Dove Custom Guns about cutting a barrel and adding sights so we will see.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I also ended up with a Ruger gunsite scout lightweight in .308 so I now have me 2 new projects. I've still not figured out which is my favorite.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Does your GP rifle have to be a bolt-action? Just asking ...

Reason is, I'd thought about defaulting to the bolt set-up before re-thinking it.

A handy carbine/short rifle that was a non-AR semi-auto with a military origin seemed to make more sense for what I'd likely use it for. A brush gun for hunting, which could double as a truck gun.

If you omit the T-37 flash hider, the 7.62/.308 Mini-G below sports a 16.1" barrel. The forwarded-mounted Scout scope doesn't obstruct use of 8- or 5-rd (hunting) clips.

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#24]
No, it didn't have to be bolt action. I know that there are plenty of auto loading rifles on the market that work fine. I just wanted something different. 
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 12:38:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I guess I forgot to add pics

Attachment Attached File

I had a chance to sight it in last weekend, easily shot 1 inch groups at 100 yards with american eagle 55 grain. The set trigger makes a huge difference. Now to get some QD rings.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:38:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Reason is, I'd thought about defaulting to the bolt set-up before re-thinking it.

A handy carbine/short rifle that was a non-AR semi-auto with a military origin seemed to make more sense for what I'd likely use it for. A brush gun for hunting, which could double as a truck gun.

If you omit the T-37 flash hider, the 7.62/.308 Mini-G below sports a 16.1" barrel. The forwarded-mounted Scout scope doesn't obstruct use of 8- or 5-rd (hunting) clips.
View Quote

That is a handy looking carbine! What does something like that run without the optic?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That is a handy looking carbine! What does something like that run without the optic?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Schuff's Mini-G ...

If you've got a "donor" M1 and you stick with the original '06 barrel, the base conversion from a full-size Garand to a 16.1" Mini-G costs about $750.

The one above, however, was re-barreled with a Criterion 7.62/.308 barrel, which is very accurate, so add another $200. Then add whatever for the Ultimak forward Scout Rail. I got the Ultimak unit when Brownells was running a sale, and Schuff mounted it when he did the conversion.

About 8-months later, I took it to a rifle class where, among other drills, we shot on 10" steel poppers at 300yds. I had no problem dinging those all afternoon long. You just have to get use to how the scope is set-up, and break out of your natural familiarity with a receiver-mounted optic.

I have another Mini-G that I kept in '06 with no forward rail mount  -  iron sights only. Light(er) and handy, but the 7.62 Mini-G above with the Burris 2.75x Scout scope gives you more precision at distance.

This irons-only '06 isn't not mine, but mine looks similar, ... just FYI:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top