Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:31:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In 5.56? CZ Bren 805. No, seriously, it's the best option for a non-AR 5.56 military rifle design. $1400 to $1600, braced pistol or a rifle.

Of the three listed, ACR. Get a used Enhanced version for $1400, just make sure it's an up to date version.

Scar 16 is overpriced for what it is. The Scar 17 is the Scar to get.

XCR... Eugh. Could have been great, but a certain dumbass fucked it up.

Skeli X11 is going to be released fairly soon, looks to be halfway decent, MSRP is lower than any of the other rifles listed.
View Quote

How is the xcr a fucked up rifle?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#2]
He's probably referring to Alex robinsons rant a number of years ago.  The guys probably never owned an xcr or held one...
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#3]
XCR arrived and is put together.  I just took a Vortex Venom I had that I wasn't using, found a riser for it, and slapped it on.  Picked up some DD 32 round mags as well, which worked awesome.  No problem inserting them into a closed bolt with all 32 rounds in.  Fired 50 rounds of Hornady steel match and 50 rounds of PPU 75 grain match.  All functioned fine with very similar points of impact.  Only zeroed at 25 yards since at 50 yards, with no magnification even a 2 MOA dot takes up the entire bullseye of the target.  Shot 250 steel from prone.  Held about 8-12" under the target.  No problem hitting them.  Fairly soft shooting gun.  Still has the factory flash hider on it, but I may replace with something else later.  Here's the promised pics:

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#4]
SCAR over ACR and BREN 805.  Have all three, but prefer the SCAR, even though its pricey.  The ACR isn't bad, and I think the ACR stock is much better than FN's stock, but the ACR is pretty heavy, especially front heavy.  The Bren is OK, but don't like the lack of a bolt release, and its heavy too.  Now if the Bren 806 was available to civilians, that would be different, because the 806 fixed most of the complaints about the 805.

My bias against Robarms goes from when I had an M96.  Rifle was OK, but customer service was horribly bad.  Maybe they are better now, but after my previous experience, they are off my radar for anything.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
XCR arrived and is put together.  I just took a Vortex Venom I had that I wasn't using, found a riser for it, and slapped it on.  Picked up some DD 32 round mags as well, which worked awesome.  No problem inserting them into a closed bolt with all 32 rounds in.  Fired 50 rounds of Hornady steel match and 50 rounds of PPU 75 grain match.  All functioned fine with very similar points of impact.  Only zeroed at 25 yards since at 50 yards, with no magnification even a 2 MOA dot takes up the entire bullseye of the target.  Shot 250 steel from prone.  Held about 8-12" under the target.  No problem hitting them.  Fairly soft shooting gun.  Still has the factory flash hider on it, but I may replace with something else later.  Here's the promised pics:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll138/Maniac742/XCR_3.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll138/Maniac742/XCR_2.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll138/Maniac742/XCR_1.jpg
View Quote
Very nice!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:52:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I have this same question as the OP

Shot the CZ bren with Czech soldiers in FA 2RB and SA. Didn't like the way it felt. And no bolt release

Was thinking about the SigMCX but saw the video of it jamming (I think it was the military arms channel) because the smaller springs. And It's new. So, I'll wait for more reviews of it.

Was thinking about picking up a SCAR 16 and 17 at some point but not until prices come down to where they were prior to the Hillary scare. And if they don't I wont get one. I could buy both cash now but I wont at the current price.

Don't know much about the ACR...seems like the SCAR CZ and

Robinson XCR seems to be the weapon I'm going to go with. Never heard bad things about them except about the owner in the past.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:05:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Tavor X95?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Wait.

So of the three the ACR is the way to go in 5.56?

One in Grendel would be even better.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Before you buy...remind yourself...that you'll always want the SCAR.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Before you buy...remind yourself...that you'll always want the SCAR.
View Quote
Just sold my 17s to a fellow arfcommer.

Mostly due to the fact I don't need yet another caliber (.308) when I'm chock full of 6.5CM & 6.5G.

So sticking with 6.5's and 5.56 for MSR's.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Mostly due to the fact I don't need yet another caliber (.308) when I'm chock full of 6.5CM & 6.5G.

View Quote
You'll miss it...give it time
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I won't deny the 17 is an awesome rifle but I sold mine 2 years ago and don't miss it...at all. I'd rather have $2500 of other firearms stuff.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd love a 16s in 6.5G
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Robinson XCR seems to be the weapon I'm going to go with. Never heard bad things about them except about the owner in the past.
View Quote
I'm picking mine up tonight. The firing pin on my brother's Gen. 1 broke and RobArms replaced the whole bolt gratis. Their customer service is tops.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#15]
ETA2: Damnit, hate this phone.

@ZedsDeadBaby

XCR has a number of little issues, but the main complaint I've heard and seen has been about the barrel lockup. Seen those come loose on several older rifles, and once saw a barrel launched downrange. SOP for the arms room I worked in that had a handful of them has been to check the barrel nut whenever the weapons are returned to the armory from the range.

Secondly, Robinson CS sucks. I hope this has changed, but I wouldn't take the chance.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you disqualified the Bren 805 because the handguard heated up to quick than the SCAR is not for you.

Beretta ARX-100 all day every day... Best of the Gen 3s but still no caliber conversions.
View Quote
If you get a scar you have to get a $300 handgun.  Then a $300 trigger.  Then a $300 stock.  Then a $300 lower.

Just kidding! Sorta! Well, not really kidding.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
ETA2: Damnit, hate this phone.

@ZedsDeadBaby

XCR has a number of little issues, but the main complaint I've heard and seen has been about the barrel lockup. Seen those come loose on several older rifles, and once saw a barrel launched downrange. SOP for the arms room I worked in that had a handful of them has been to check the barrel nut whenever the weapons are returned to the armory from the range.

Secondly, Robinson CS sucks. I hope this has changed, but I wouldn't take the chance.
View Quote
Their customer service is top notch. As others here will attest.  Barrel retention issue is really a non issue nowadays
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 12:08:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you get a scar you have to get a $300 handgun.  Then a $300 trigger.  Then a $300 stock.  Then a $300 lower.

Just kidding! Sorta! Well, not really kidding.  
View Quote
Funny,  I have a Scar, and have found no need to get a handgun, stock, or lower, so I don't know what that's all about.  I did get a new trigger for it, but then I had to get a new trigger for my ARX-100 and ACR too.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:58:22 PM EDT
[#19]
SCAR 16 is a great weapon. Stop being cheap and buy yourself a SCAR. The urge will still be there so just bite the bullet and get the one you really want. Buy once cry once and all that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:31:32 AM EDT
[#20]
XCR.
Pick your caliber 5.45, 5.56, 6.5, 6.8, 7.62x39 or.300 Blk then pick your barrel length then pick your receiver length and call it a day.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 3:12:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I prefer the ACR of those three. My XCR is a gen 1 though so I might be missing out.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#22]
The Scar 16 is an outstanding rifle and is my go to SBR. It is smooth shooting with very little recoil and runs extremely clean.  I'll even go out and sound crazy here but I prefer my 16s to my 17s....  

I always equate these things to cars.  Some people just want something to get from point A to B and don't care what it is, some want something a little nicer to do the same but can't justify or afford to go all out, and then there are a few who want the experience, exclusivity, and perceived quality of getting the "best" there is.  It is hard to get people that fall in different categories to see from each others point of view. One thing will always be true... You have to pay to play.

Bow to the one true King, the rest are imitators.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Scar is Mehhh. I've never liked he polymers fun uses.  Even their handguns feel weird.  It probably works good I've only shot one a few times..  I think the XCR is a better gun overall.  More complete package.  And replacement parts aren't astronomically expensive.  Fn's barrel kits are like almost a grand.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think the XCR is a better gun overall.  More complete package.  And replacement parts aren't astronomically expensive.  Fn's barrel kits are like almost a grand.
View Quote
There's a lot of good sense here^.

SCARs feel cheap. The XCR is as robust as a semi-auto can get.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The Scar 16 is an outstanding rifle and is my go to SBR. It is smooth shooting with very little recoil and runs extremely clean.  I'll even go out and sound crazy here but I prefer my 16s to my 17s....  

I always equate these things to cars.  Some people just want something to get from point A to B and don't care what it is, some want something a little nicer to do the same but can't justify or afford to go all out, and then there are a few who want the experience, exclusivity, and perceived quality of getting the "best" there is.  It is hard to get people that fall in different categories to see from each others point of view. One thing will always be true... You have to pay to play.

Bow to the one true King, the rest are imitators.  
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa327/drewdasponge/4CCECD48-3BA7-409F-93AB-0F8EA50DAC52_zpsvc60qstx.jpg
View Quote
I have to politely disagree with a few things.

There are too many ways to define king in this context so the question of king may never be answered or at best only subjectively for some people.

The XCR design phase began in 2002 with the prototypes up and running in 2004, the same year the SCAR design was first put to paper. The XCR became available to the public in 2006. These answer the question of which came first.

When considering the concept and modularity of the Stoner 63 we can say the ACR, SCAR, XCR, etc. are all imitators.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I really like my XCR.

Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:31:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I have to politely disagree with a few things.

When considering the concept and modularity of the Stoner 63 we can say the ACR, SCAR, XCR, etc. are all imitators.
View Quote
I will agree that you have valid points.

I also believe that its hard to play the "this came first" game because when you look at the history of autoloding firearms the basics of function have changed very little in a hundred years.

I'm a big fan of the YouTube channel "Forgotten Weapons" and was blown away to see that short stroke piston, long stroke piston, and rotating bolt Direct Impingment guns were invented in the WW1 timeframe.

Every gun that came after was just one in a long line of evolutionary steps to get to where we are today.

That's a very long winded way of saying that I believe the Scar 16 and although it hasn't been mentioned, the HK 416 are the pinnacles of the current stage of small arms evolution. (In it's designed role as a Carbine)
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks great.

6.5 Grendel kits for xcr will be out soon.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#29]
All three guns you mentioned are great! I haven't had a chance to shoot a XCR but I have been eyeing one up in 300 BLK on Gunbroker. While you have eliminated the 805 but its one of my most highly anticipated form 1s. I have it all decked out and ready for a ACR stock. I was surprised to see a couple guns not mentioned in the mix. The Sig 556 Classic or Swat? I saw the Tavor come up, how about the Aug or a FN FS2000 no? How about a Daewoo? There are a lot of awesome rifles in this genre!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I went Scar and added the Geisselli trigger... great gun

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#31]
6.5 Grendel conversions  are out now for the XCR-L
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I went Scar and added the Geisselli trigger... great gun

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86935/IMG-4092-225253.JPG
View Quote
Pick mine up Sunday morning and head straight to the range. How do you like the lt-150 there ?
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:58:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
6.5 Grendel conversions  are out now for the XCR-L
View Quote
Awesome.  Holly said mine would be ready to ship soon. 18" heavy barrel.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:33:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I was thinking of picking up an XCR in 6.5 Grendel and was wondering how robust these rifles are?

Was looking at using the cheap wolf stuff mainly and I hear that this rifle is picky on ammo, not what I wanted to hear.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I was thinking of picking up an XCR in 6.5 Grendel and was wondering how robust these rifles are?

Was looking at using the cheap wolf stuff mainly and I hear that this rifle is picky on ammo, not what I wanted to hear.
View Quote
Robust? As in durable? I can't think of any modern semi- auto rifle out there that is more overbuilt than the XCR.

As to being finicky with 6.5 Grendel ammo, I can't attest to that, but my 5.56 eats anything I put through it. The rifle does have an adjustable gas valve.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Robust? As in durable? I can't think of any modern semi- auto rifle out there that is more overbuilt than the XCR.

As to being finicky with 6.5 Grendel ammo, I can't attest to that, but my 5.56 eats anything I put through it. The rifle does have an adjustable gas valve.
View Quote
Yes, durable. I have heard people saying they had their hammer shatter, but I have not been hearing as much about the newer generations having any issues.

What kind of accuracy can one expect out of these rifles without match grade ammo?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
They were designed to run on anything they are chambered for including steel case.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yes, durable. I have heard people saying they had their hammer shatter, but I have not been hearing as much about the newer generations having any issues.

What kind of accuracy can one expect out of these rifles without match grade ammo?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There have been no shattered XCR hammers reported to date that I am aware of.

Somebody is confused.

Perhaps they were referring to the M96 hammer that was broken by an owner under dubious circumstances.

Accuracy is in general on par with the AR.  Like the AR it takes a good shooter with good ammo and good optics to shoot up to the rifles capabilities.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:13:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Seems like there is a lot of bad and or outdated info out there, thanks for clearing it up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:15:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I have heard people saying they had their hammer shatter
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have heard people saying they had their hammer shatter
Source,link?
Edit:
Quoted:

Where are you hearing this?
RA hasn't released 6.5 Grendel Rifles or conversion kits yet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 6:48:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Seems like there is a lot of bad and or outdated info out there, thanks for clearing it up.
View Quote
On one of my XCR's, the guy had a problem with handholds, sent it back to the factory, and by then (when he got it back), grew disenchanted with the platform and wanted to get rid of it.  He gave me the weekend to run it and if I wanted it, I could buy it.  Put at least 500 rounds (probably more like 800 I'm guessing) of the cheapest russian ammo I had over the weekend out back.  Never a hiccup. I bought it (one of the better bargains I've ever gotten on a gun).   I thougt to myself why not just keep running her without cleaning.  I made it to over 2,000 round with nothing but cheap russian ammo, never a hiccup and then I broke down and finally cleaned her up because it was driving me nuts LOL  

That said, I have shot the SCAR and the ACR, and I'm still sticking with my XCR's.

To each their own. If it works for you and your happy with it, that's all that matters.

That said, ANYTHING with moving parts and constructed by humans does run a chance for failure, and I don't believe any rifle platform is perfect.

My only complaint (and it's a small one) with the XCR is it's heavier than a AR, but my understanding is the newer versions (XCR) are somewhat lighter.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:08:13 AM EDT
[#42]
I went SCAR 16 which I had purchased at a great deal, however I do want a XCR. A good friend has one and it is a nice rifle. ACR was on my want list after shooting it but not any longer. I do want an ACR stock for my SCAR. SCAR was pricy yes but I do not refresh buying it. So much so that I want a SCAR 17 next. That will be a long term goal.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
On one of my XCR's, the guy had a problem with handholds, sent it back to the factory, and by then (when he got it back), grew disenchanted with the platform and wanted to get rid of it.  He gave me the weekend to run it and if I wanted it, I could buy it.  Put at least 500 rounds (probably more like 800 I'm guessing) of the cheapest russian ammo I had over the weekend out back.  Never a hiccup. I bought it (one of the better bargains I've ever gotten on a gun).   I thougt to myself why not just keep running her without cleaning.  I made it to over 2,000 round with nothing but cheap russian ammo, never a hiccup and then I broke down and finally cleaned her up because it was driving me nuts LOL  

That said, I have shot the SCAR and the ACR, and I'm still sticking with my XCR's.

To each their own. If it works for you and your happy with it, that's all that matters.

That said, ANYTHING with moving parts and constructed by humans does run a chance for failure, and I don't believe any rifle platform is perfect.

My only complaint (and it's a small one) with the XCR is it's heavier than a AR, but my understanding is the newer versions (XCR) are somewhat lighter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Standard XCR to base model AR yes. Other comparable AR's I.E. piston, monolithic railed upper etc. etc. I find the XCR to weigh the same or less.

Correct. Current production keymod XCR's weigh somewhat less than previously integral railed XCR's
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Source,link?
Edit:
View Quote
I didn't save any of the links to the articles or comments. I think a couple were from The Truth About Guns reviews or maybe from a video on YouTube.

Regarding the 6.5 Grendel, I saw it as an option with the custom build options, I didn't know they were not out yet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#45]
I went through the same thing....bought a Daewoo K2 instead. 
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:30:27 PM EDT
[#46]
The ARX is available for $880 at Academy.

It has as many or more features than the rest of the rifles noted, and it's a standard issue arm for Italy as well as units in multiple other countries.

It has shitty backup sights, but those can be easily changed out. In every other way it's as good or better than the other rifles mentioned.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:27:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I didn't save any of the links to the articles or comments. I think a couple were from The Truth About Guns reviews or maybe from a video on YouTube.

Regarding the 6.5 Grendel, I saw it as an option with the custom build options, I didn't know they were not out yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Source,link?
Edit:

That wouldn't surprise me, they don't seem to know much about truth or guns.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:Standard XCR to base model AR yes. Other comparable AR's I.E. piston, monolithic railed upper etc. etc. I find the XCR to weigh the same or less
View Quote
Agreed.

Just wish you could use a SD-3G trigger in a XCR.  

Broke down and bought a couple of AR's on sale (couldn't pass them up due to the price) and installed a couple of new triggers.  World of difference for the AR IMO with those triggers.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:44:49 AM EDT
[#49]
RA is making small numbers of 6.5 Grendel.  I have one.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:10:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Agreed.

Broke down and bought a couple of AR's on sale (couldn't pass them up due to the price) and installed a couple of new triggers.  World of difference for the AR IMO with those triggers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Standard XCR to base model AR yes. Other comparable AR's I.E. piston, monolithic railed upper etc. etc. I find the XCR to weigh the same or less
Agreed.

No need to since the enhanced trigger became standard in the XCR a few years ago.
RA enhanced trigger and Geissele SSA are on par with each other IMHO.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top