Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/17/2017 5:56:04 PM EDT
So before anyone says, "ZOMG CZ BREN DUH!", I had a chance to the shoot the pistola version.  Everything was great until I shot more than 5 rounds every 60 seconds.  I discovered that the handguard was now trying to burn my hand clean off.  Without gloves, any period of sustained fire is just unbearable.  It has been dropped squarely off my list.

I used to be very interested in the ACR, but after seeing that barrel swap kits are nowhere to be found, aftermarket support is just as abundant as OEM support, and that the Bushmaster website is permanently under construction, I have reconsidered.  Willing to hear arguments otherwise, but not hopeful.

SCAR, everything you want at the price you really, really, really don't want.  That's the one and only barrier between me and a 16S, but it's a big one.  The trigger doesn't help on that front either.

XCR.  Cheaper than the SCAR, although not by a ton.  Reliable. gun  Customer service is legendary, and I mean legendarily bad.  It has, however, been more than 3 years since the rant of he who should not be in charge, and I have contacted RobArms myself and gotten prompt responses.  I'm willing to let the past be the past and give them a go.  They're my current front runner.

Commence counter arguments.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Scar cause scar
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
The Sig MCX best them all IMO.

I know Sig just had a recall but I did not and don't plan to send mine in to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

The Scar 16 should be $1000 less than it is but people buy them at that price so FN is smart to keep it that way.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#3]
SCAR.  You get what you pay for with FN.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]
If you disqualified the Bren 805 because the handguard heated up to quick than the SCAR is not for you.

Beretta ARX-100 all day every day... Best of the Gen 3s but still no caliber conversions.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#5]
My Scar 16S has been flawless. I did put in the geiselle trigger..that is a must
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#6]
My xcr is my favorite rifle.  I sbr's it.  The manual of arms is second to none really.  It's not super heavy.  The stock is solid as hell.  Very soft shooting.  Adjustable gas system.  I've had mine for 3 years and customer service has been fantastic buying spare parts and I misplaced a part and had a replacement in the mail the next day.  I wouldn't hesitate to get another xcr.  IMHO one of the most underrated rifles out there.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my XCR.

I had an ACR for a little while, I like the XCR better.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you disqualified the Bren 805 because the handguard heated up to quick than the SCAR is not for you.

Beretta ARX-100 all day every day... Best of the Gen 3s but still no caliber conversions.
View Quote

Similar handguard issues with the SCAR?  Why has no one ever mentioned this?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#10]
5.56: XCR
.308: SCAR
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I now own 8 XCR rifles.  L and M.  Ask me anything
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Of those options, the SCAR. It's a great rifle. Multiple aftermarket accessories, though not as prolific as AR accessories. Made by FN, so you know design, manufacturing and QC/QA are done properly. And then there is the Battlefield Vegas reports re: SCAR durability.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:37:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Similar handguard issues with the SCAR?  Why has no one ever mentioned this?
View Quote

They have, I've seen it mentioned quite a few times over the years.

The Bren 805 and SCAR are pretty similar, so it makes sense that they would have the same issues with heat build up.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:53:46 AM EDT
[#14]
OP they are all excellent rifles but I have to say XCR.

(a) There are more options available for it than all the others....combined.
(b) The XCR charging handle is in a lower, more natural and better position.
(c) The XCR has the best trigger of the bunch bar none. Geisselles are the only thing equal to it IMHO/E

Some examples of the engineering in the XCR.

(1) The cam slot in the carrier has a long-ish straight section at the front of it. This gives the carrier time to build inertia before beginning to un lock the bolt. It also gives extra time for residual chamber pressure to drop to zero or near zero.

(2) There is a caming ramp in the barrel extension for the bolt. It gives a 23:1 mechanical advantage in slow powerful initial extraction. This concept was first used in the Mauser model 1898.

(3) It has a sliding T-slot extractor. It is not dependent on spring pressure to grip the case  and can not slip off the rim like a pivoting extractor can.

(4) The magazine sits very high up in the receiver with the feed lips passing through deep cuts in the BCG, putting the rounds close to the center line of the bore for nearly straight line feeding.

The few fasteners it does use are common standard grade 8 fine thread hardware readily available at Lowes, Home Depot,True Value and NAPA.

The armorers tool kit consists of a folding hex key set, a small crescent wrench and one punch. Every maintenance and repair task is D.I.Y. at the user level in the field.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:23:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Personally, I went with the ARX.  It really does not get hot.  It also swaps barrels in, literally, seconds, & the price is right (both for the gun & the SBR bbls).

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:40:40 AM EDT
[#16]
CZ Bren looks like a good option besides the expensive SCAR. But yeah SCAR's are nice. 
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

(c) The XCR has the best trigger of the bunch bar none. Geisselles are the only thing equal to it IMHO/E

(1) The cam slot in the carrier has a long-ish straight section at the front of it. This gives the carrier time to build inertia before beginning to un lock the bolt. It also gives extra time for residual chamber pressure to drop to zero or near zero.

(2) There is a caming ramp in the barrel extension for the bolt. It gives a 23:1 mechanical advantage in slow powerful initial extraction. This concept was first used in the Mauser model 1898.

(3) It has a sliding T-slot extractor. It is not dependent on spring pressure to grip the case  and can not slip off the rim like a pivoting extractor can.

(4) The magazine sits very high up in the receiver with the feed lips passing through deep cuts in the BCG, putting the rounds close to the center line of the bore for nearly straight line feeding.

The few fasteners it does use are common standard grade 8 fine thread hardware readily available at Lowes, Home Depot,True Value and NAPA.

The armorers tool kit consists of a folding hex key set, a small crescent wrench and one punch. Every maintenance and repair task is D.I.Y. at the user level in the field.
View Quote

fixed ejector, as well.   do you work for rob arms?  either way its the best rifle of the bunch imho
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

fixed ejector, as well.   do you work for rob arms?  either way its the best rifle of the bunch imho
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the info is on the XCR forums.
I would have posted the same, but I am lazy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
5.56: XCR
.308: SCAR
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

No I do not. Not affiliated with them in any way either.  

Fixed ejectors are one way to get the job done. Plunger ejectors have been working since the M1 rifle made it's debut in 1936.  By itself the whole fixed VS plunger thing is kind of a wash in my mind.

The advantage the fixed ejector does give over a plunger ejector in this case is that it allows the bolt body to be a smaller diameter than if it had a plunger ejector. This pays off in allowing the magazine feed lips to be placed closer to the bore center axis line as mentioned previously.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#21]
A while ago I was in the same boat, and eventually settled on the SCAR. However, one of my biggest reasons was I had a 17 and a 16 made sense for familiarity. I also happened across one for a decent price. I don't regret it one bit. In fact, I ended up liking my 16 more than the 17. The trigger that came in the 17 was notoriously bad, but the stock one in my 16 was actually pretty doable. I did eventually change it for a Geissele, but really only because I happened to pick one up on sale for a pretty good price. In regards to the stock handguards, I don't ever recall them getting hot enough to burn my hands after I've put a bunch of mags through it. Alot of my shooting has been out in the desert during summer too, and I have grazed a knuckle or two on a hot barrel.

Before I bought the 16, I did check out an ACR in a gunshop. I like the looks of the ACR, but the balance felt really shitty to me, really front heavy. I read around about guys putting new barrels in to help that out, but at the time I didn't want to dick with it.

Can't really comment on the XCR other than it got dropped from my list due to Robinson's bad CS rep, and availability seemed spotty when I was looking.

In the end though, I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the choices.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#22]
If the price of the SCAR is too eye watering, the ARX 100 is a pretty good choice. You'll be out way less cash up front and the design and execution is very good.

Good write up of the design here: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?167538-Beretta-ARX-design-details-and-wear-at-500-rounds

AJ
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I've owned a few xcr's and had no issues with any of them. I currently own an sbr xcr & acr, I don't think I would be able to decide which to get rid of if I had to. Although I guess the edge would go to xcr because of caliber changes that are readily available, bushmaster has finally started selling barrel assemblies and there are a few small aftermarket companies making parts and hg options but they're pricey.
I also owned a beretta arx and was impressed with it, but it was expendable to me.
In my opinion, the scar 16 is probably an excellent rifle, but the other options are just as good for far cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:13:23 AM EDT
[#24]
I guess I'll be the first to recommend the ACR, it's a great rifle. Their website is back up and running, barrel kits are actually shipping, Nexus has an excellent carbon fiber hand guard, and it takes AR triggers.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:19:31 AM EDT
[#25]
ACR for price, and they shoot better than SCAR's. 
SCAR's have funky recoil due to their poor copy of the G-36 BCG. 

XCR is probably a better gun than both, but are getting pricey and hard to find at times. ACR's can be had cheap now. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a Scar 17 13" and an ACR with the barrel at adco getting pinned to 14"". I only shot the ACR once before sending it in but it shot very well. I like the controls better than the scar, that bolt release is in the perfect location, kinda like a BAD lever. The stock is the best stock on any gun ever. It is a little front heavy but it can be cut and reprofiled easily. Both have adjustable gas for suppression which is huge for me. The trigger is quite good for a stock trigger. Once I have it back I'll be putting a Micro on it and calling it a day.

The Scar is easily the best combat rifle platform on the market IMO. With that, you are gonna pay a premium. To me it was worth it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd get an MCX or ACR. Then get the XCR.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:41:57 PM EDT
[#28]
One of the best features of the ACR is the stock.

As for barrels and caliber conversions, SCAR barrel assemblies cost a lot, and the ACR has only had barrel options as of this year.

The only one of the three that has has barrel and caliber options from the start is the XCR. They alreadt have a 300 blk barrels for it, as well as several other options.

As for the ACR stock both the XCR and SCAR have adapters to put the ACR on them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Going to go with the XCR L.  Why both CZ and FN decided to mount the handguard on the barrel is beyond me.  I was extremely disappointed in how hot the BREN got, especially given CZ's reputation.  Sounds like the SCAR will only replicate that problem.  The ACR is heavy and very poorly marketed.  Bushmaster broke every promise Magpul made on the rifle.  Quick change barrel means nothing if you don't have another barrel to change it to.  The ARX 100 suffers from fugly duckling syndrome, although I am a Beretta fan.  Thanks everyone for your input.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#30]
You'll be happy with your choice.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Your gonna love it man.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:35:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Your gonna love it man.
View Quote

I'm confident you are correct.  I've always had a boner for the SCAR, but the $2.5k+ dollar tag is huge hurdle, and the XCR is only $1700 shipped.  I'm an FN fanboi too, but I've already bought the bullet and bought a Five SeveN, but at least that wasn't the only $1100 gun around.  PS90s also dropped below the $1200 mark, but SCARs are only going up.  Guess that's one FN gun I won't be adding to my collection.  I'll take pics of my XCR when it gets here.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:53:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Congrats!  
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:18:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm confident you are correct.  I've always had a boner for the SCAR, but the $2.5k+ dollar tag is huge hurdle, and the XCR is only $1700 shipped.  I'm an FN fanboi too, but I've already bought the bullet and bought a Five SeveN, but at least that wasn't the only $1100 gun around.  PS90s also dropped below the $1200 mark, but SCARs are only going up.  Guess that's one FN gun I won't be adding to my collection.  I'll take pics of my XCR when it gets here.
View Quote

Where did you buy the XCR from? The ones on gunbroker are around $2k last I checked for a new one. I haven't tried contacting that Kermit guy I've read about.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:34:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Kiran04,
here's the contact information for the two best go to sources for XCR's, kits, parts and supplies.

Kermit Zahn of Wild Thang Farms (Not Wild Thangs Firearms…common error ! )
3150 Fuller Road
Emmett, Idaho 83617
208-869-1616 (cell)
email: [email protected]

Nate Horner a.k.a.  Naval Beaver, Little Jacks Guns
6254 Dixie Rd
Milton FL 32570
(503) 708-4740
(503) 708-4740

Runner-Six-Mike,
Contact the stocking dealer/distributors above or the RA factory to ask about their policy on  LE and Military.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:55:15 AM EDT
[#36]
I bought mine from Kermit.  Shipped right to my FFL.  He's super awesome to deal with.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:55:39 AM EDT
[#37]
ACR or put a grip or covers on the 805 if it bothers you that much.

ACR barrels are shipping supposedly.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_56/475233_Factory-barrels-have-shipped-.html
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Where did you buy the XCR from? The ones on gunbroker are around $2k last I checked for a new one. I haven't tried contacting that Kermit guy I've read about.
View Quote

There's two famous dealers on the XCR forums.  That Kermit guy you've read about and Navalbeaver.  I bought mine from the latter.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Kiran04,
here's the contact information for the two best go to sources for XCR's, kits, parts and supplies.

3150 Fuller Road
Emmett, Idaho 83617
208-869-1616 (cell)

6254 Dixie Rd
Milton FL 32570
(503) 708-4740
(503) 708-4740

Runner-Six-Mike,
Contact the stocking dealer/distributors above or the RA factory to ask about their policy on  LE and Military.
View Quote

Never dealt with Kermit, but he has an outstanding rep, as does Nate.

Both of these guys are good for spare parts also
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#40]
+1 for Kermit. I'm sure Nate is great too.

I went XCR because I actually did want caliber conversion. It also happens to have the best ergos/controls IMO. The SCAR maintains the M4/AR bolt catch which makes no sense to me.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Let's see if I can post a pic:

XCR-L, 5.56 (SCAR FSC takeoff) with 7.62x39 conversion kit (BABC), aftermarket folding charging handle, aftermarket stock adapter, ACR enhanced stock.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kiran04,

3150 Fuller Road
Emmett, Idaho 83617
208-869-1616 (cell)

6254 Dixie Rd
Milton FL 32570
(503) 708-4740
(503) 708-4740

Runner-Six-Mike,

Kermit screens his phone calls so do leave a message if you call him. He is great to deal with.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
+1 for Kermit. I'm sure Nate is great too.

I went XCR because I actually did want caliber conversion. It also happens to have the best ergos/controls IMO. The SCAR maintains the M4/AR bolt catch which makes no sense to me.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Let's see if I can post a pic:

XCR-L, 5.56 (SCAR FSC takeoff) with 7.62x39 conversion kit (BABC), aftermarket folding charging handle, aftermarket stock adapter, ACR enhanced stock.
View Quote

Where did you get the folding charging handle from?

CSF
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

CSF
View Quote

Mountainman, IIRC

Dont know if he makes them anymore
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Mountainman, IIRC

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CSF

Mountainman, IIRC

He hasn't made any since 2012.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CSF

Mountainman, IIRC

It has been a bit. I had the roll pin holding it together walk out on me in the middle of a 3-gun. Still managed to hold it together by hand to charge it and finish. Got a replacement from my LGS, cut it to size and its back working. You lose the forward assist option, but I'm of the opinion if you have to force a round in, you may not get it back out, so I prefer to just eject the offending cartridge.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#46]
I have them all, I prefer them thusly - ACR, SCAR, XCR.

Taking others into account:  ACR, Bren, SCAR, ARX, XCR.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:08:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have them all, I prefer them thusly - ACR, SCAR, XCR.

Taking others into account:  ACR, Bren, SCAR, ARX, XCR.
View Quote

After this weekend shooting, I agree. Acr is top of my list now.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#48]
In 5.56? CZ Bren 805. No, seriously, it's the best option for a non-AR 5.56 military rifle design. $1400 to $1600, braced pistol or a rifle.

Of the three listed, ACR. Get a used Enhanced version for $1400, just make sure it's an up to date version.

Scar 16 is overpriced for what it is. The Scar 17 is the Scar to get.

XCR... Eugh. Could have been great, but a certain dumbass fucked it up.

Skeli X11 is going to be released fairly soon, looks to be halfway decent, MSRP is lower than any of the other rifles listed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#49]
There are plenty of positive posts about the XCR here. I'm curious to know what the flaws are of the XCR that qualify it as fucked up ?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

XCR... Eugh. Could have been great, but a certain dumbass fucked it up.
View Quote

Kind of a dumbass fucked up statement.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top