Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2017 1:05:27 AM EDT
In my opinion my collection is practical, common calibers mostly, rifles, carbines etc, bolt guns for range and a couple for a volume approach.  I got a Calico M900 that I thought would help the itch but it isn't doing it for me.

I want something out of wack to add but not a super odd caliber.  I was thinking a ridiculous 12g like a Spas 12 or something like a gwinn to convert calibers on.

Ideas in the 8-1200 dollar range?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:32:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Vepr 12
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:02:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In my opinion my collection is practical, common calibers mostly, rifles, carbines etc, bolt guns for range and a couple for a volume approach.  I got a Calico M900 that I thought would help the itch but it isn't doing it for me.

I want something out of wack to add but not a super odd caliber.  I was thinking a ridiculous 12g like a Spas 12 or something like a gwinn to convert calibers on.

View Quote

You will stay away from the SPAS if you're smart, no parts, high cost low function, make it more of a collectors piece.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:49:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you want an expensive autoloading shotgun as a collector's piece that will wow people but will be a pain in the butt to maintain if you shoot it a lot, get a SPAS-12.

If you want an expensive autoloading shotgun as an unkillable and unfailingly reliable fighting shotgun that you can shoot the hell out of and it won't care for the same price as a SPAS-12, get an M4 Super90.

I've owned and been using mine since 2009. It has had all of three malfunctions in its lifetime; all on the last range trip last month, and all failures to feed the seventh round from the tube, which was cleared with a quick tap on the cartridge elevator. The magazine tube spring finally got worn out. Replaced it with $12 and 2 minutes, it's good to go again.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow, no love for the Spas.

What about a B&T TP9? Any love for those?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a SPAS-12. They're right. It's a collector gun that isn't practical as a combat shotgun. If you just want one as a toy/collectible, then sure. It's fun and and always attracts attention. They also feature one of the most comfortable folding shotgun stocks. The only time mine malfunctions is when the shells are too weak to cycle it. As noted in the manual, it needs hot loads to function in semi-auto. If you really desire a pump/semi convertible, then the Benelli M3 is the way to go. There's really no point to one though. Benelli M1's are cheap, cycle much more reliably (with lighter loads), and it's easy to reach the op handle and cycle it manually. Also easy to find Surefire fore ends for it. There are none available for the M3.

The M4 is nice, but a used M1 is a way better deal. The only advantage with the M4 is the ability to attach heavy accessories to it without affecting reliability. Most people don't need that ability, and you pay dearly for it in both weight and money. That said, the M4 Entry 14" with c-stock is badass as hell. 

Also consider the VEPR-12 while browsing badass shotguns. Sometimes the QC is spotty, but any problems with them can be remedied, and they come with a warranty. They make an awesome SBS.

I played with a TP9 briefly. They have a long spongy trigger. I thought about trying one as a PDW, but now that the USW is out, I'm more interested in that. The trigger will be like a CZ75 trigger.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Beretta ARX100

It looks out of whack.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I love the SPAS and I'd like to own one, but just make sure you go into owning one with both eyes open and knowing what you're getting into. It's an older design, it's heavy, it's nowhere near as reliable as a modern Benelli autoloader, and it's been out of production for so long that its parts supply is practically non-existent. That doesn't mean it isn't cool and it isn't a lot of fun to shoot and own. If you fully know what you're getting into, you won't buy it and be disappointed afterwards.

Quoted:
The M4 is nice, but a used M1 is a way better deal. The only advantage with the M4 is the ability to attach heavy accessories to it without affecting reliability. Most people don't need that ability, and you pay dearly for it in both weight and money. That said, the M4 Entry 14" with c-stock is badass as hell.

M1 is also good, but remember that's an inertia gun versus the M4's ARGO gas system. The M4 is MUCH softer shooting as well as more controllable under rapid fire (if that's the sort of thing you're into).

M4 Entry is awesome but sadly is as rare as hen's teeth.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Obviously a Winchester SX2 PRACTICAL is your answer.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#9]
It doesn't have to be a shotgun.  Just looking for something a million people don't have.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#10]
All B&T guns are uncommon.

Steyr AUG
Zenith MKE HK clones
Daewoo guns (K2 is nice, chopped K2 carbine even nicer, expensive)
Galil ACE
CZ Bren
FS2000
Norinco/Polytech M14S
Chinese Broomhandle 9mm with detachable 10/20 round mags and shoulder stock (not imported since the late 80's. Most are actually converted Schnellfeuers.)

It's never bothered me to have what's popular. I figure there's generally a reason. 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#11]
How about a PS90? Extremely different, unique design. Interesting caliber, and not too expensive to shoot. Compact, 50 round mags. You gotta sbr it though. I want one eventually.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It doesn't have to be a shotgun.  Just looking for something a million people don't have.
View Quote

VZ61 Skorpian SBR
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe an FS2000? That's something I see at the range only once in a VERY blue moon.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

VZ61 Skorpian SBR
View Quote
My issue with that is they are only available in .32, .380 and 9x18.  I kinda hate all of those calibers.  I really want one, buy can't decide what bad caliber I'd like.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Maybe an FS2000? That's something I see at the range only once in a VERY blue moon.
View Quote
I used to have 2 of those, never should have sold them.  Now I can't find one under 2k.  Crazy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:49:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Garand in .308 or M14 clone?

How about one of those Shuffs mini g's in .308??
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Of note, SPAS-12 parts can be had through numrich and SPAS-12.com

I have a stepped barrel model that cycles everything. Gas system is a little different due to originally being built as a much shorter gun. But as stated they are clumsy and difficult to operate. If you can get one for $700-$1000 do it and don't regret it.

I love my TP-9 but I wouldn't buy one for what they're selling for now. I paid $750 for mine + 200 for the stamp.

If I were you I'd look for a Special Weapons 76 or a SITES Spectre that doesn't go for a fortune.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I got lame and bought a PSL kit...  I'm going to build an 18" barreled 54r.

I really wanted a TP9, but good hell, $1800 AND $64 for a mag?  That's robbery.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:21:18 AM EDT
[#19]
A PSL can be a fun project.  They are cool to play around with.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A PSL can be a fun project.  They are cool to play around with.y
View Quote
Off to the build section for ideas?  I don't want a vanilla PSL.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:51:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Off to the build section for ideas?  I don't want a vanilla PSL.
View Quote
AKfiles is the best place for PSL info:  http://www.akfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=94dc298e0f7f99b866554c669c62c117&f=19
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:15:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Vepr 12
View Quote

This. I'm not a shotgun kind of guy but the fit,finish and reliability are most impressive. If I have to have a shotgun then without question it will be the Vepr 12.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top