Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2017 1:29:48 PM EDT
I have enough land to train with real firearms, but I'm behind enemy lines and all of my neighbors are anti-gunners. I also have limited time = even more limited trigger time. I have been thinking about getting a quality precision air rifle and a quality airsoft carbine and pistol for training on my own land. Anyone else do this? Any recommendations for quality/hard use airguns and airsoft?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I once took my RWS 34 .177 air rifle to Haiti with me for recreational shooting.  I would set up a stuff box of magazines up on the balcony and get trigger time while deployed.  On historical note that balcony over looked the Bay of Cristo, where on Christmas Day 1492 the Santa Maria ran aground and sank.  I hunted rats, tarantulas and other creepy crawlers there with it.  Have also used it to take cottontails (25yds) and squirrels with it (20yds).  Air rifles were also used on the FOBs in Iraq to dispatch vermin.

CD
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#2]
A lot cheaper to shoot in volume compared to .223 / 5.56.  

The Crossman my Dad gave me seemed really accurate.  I killed squirrels with and and I kid you not, chipmunks on the run.    Close range, but still moving.  Now that is fun.  

But the thing is as old as the hills and the seal is busted.  Booooooo.....  I wonder if I can get it fixed.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:27:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I carry a p226 at my full time job and have been seriously considering a kwa m226 for ease and convenience of training.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Tip: There's an airgun subforum on ARFcom.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/54_Airguns.html
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have tried something similar to this with a .22 LR upper ( AR ) and .22 LR conversion kit for my Beretta 92.... frankly, the total lack of realistic recoil made me feel like it was a waste of money.

In other words the only training I was getting was manual of arms, not realistic enough for me ..... just food for thought.

I am not trying to change your mind... just telling my experience with something like you describe.
View Quote

Not to be rude, but it is two completely different types of training. For airsoft I want to work on movement, room clearing, low light/flashlight, and some basic force on force. Smaller caliber isn't really viable for that, no matter how much I save, the wife is gonna be unhappy if I'm popping off .22 in the house. It has its place. I like .22 to work on trigger control, for the other things I've listed, airsoft is really the only good option. It's like simunitions, it has its place in a good training regiment.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tip: There's an airgun subforum on ARFcom.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/54_Airguns.html
View Quote

I opted not to as under the Airguns section it says no airsoft.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:59:41 PM EDT
[#8]
While a little different because it's for competition but over in Brian Enos they talk about airsoft for training for 3gun. Some of those guys set up their garage with targets to practice.

They spend a lot of money on guns ~400-600 for a Ar15 style rifle that will give them a more realistic impulse.

Maybe go over and read what they say.

I looked at it to have fun with my kids in the winter when I couldn't get out to the range but to get it set up for it to my satisfaction it would have been 1,000 which would buy a shit ton of ammo. You can do it cheaper but it's up to you
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I opted not to as under the Airguns section it says no airsoft.
View Quote

my mistake . . .
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top