Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2017 12:53:53 PM EDT
I have really been struggling to figure out my next rifle purchase for a few months now. I really want a 300blk rifle that is not a DI, sick of the mess and constant cleaning needed with suppressor use. In fact I don't want another AR, even if it was a reliable piston AR in 300blk. I want something different.

I have narrowed it down to two rifle in 300blk and one in 7.62x39. A CZ Bren 805 11" Pistol in 300blk (I will SBR or brace it), A Tavor in 300BLK (IWI is shipping this month), or a Custom AK (see pic below).

Bren 805 300blk 11" Pistol (SBR or Brace):
I love CZ as a company and I love their firearms. Quality is top notch, and you get a great value for your money. From what I have read, I think the Bren is probably as good as the SCAR, and I personally think it is much better looking. The 805 in 300blk is in their catalog for 2017 and will ship in a couple of months. This is the direction I am leaning. My only concern is the weight and reciprocating charging handle. Not thrilled with either of those aspects. But this is the gun I am leaning towards. I have a feeling these will go very quickly and above MSRP.

Tavor X95 300blk:
I got an email a couple of days ago from IWI announcing that the X95 in 300blk will be shipping this month. I do have a PS90 SBR, but other than that I have zero affinity for bullpups. I have never been a fan of having the action directly under my eye and cheek. God forbid you have a KB...not pretty. That said a bullpup offers the advantage of a very compact package and no need for a tax stamp. You get a 16" barreled rifle in a package the length of an AR SBR. I think that is pretty cool. I think the Tavor is kind of ugly, the x95 is even uglier than the SAR model. Not loving this, but I am considering it.

Custom AK47:
This gun was on display in my booth at SHOT. As soon as I saw it, I fell in love with it. It is an Arsenal slr-95 that has been customized by LRK Mechanical. I would simply by a decent base AK and send it off and have them make it just like this one. I currently own zero AKs. I have owned a couple before. It was a long time ago. I have never been an AK fan, though I have nothing against them. But this one just blows me away. I am very seriously considering doing this one and skipping the 300blk. But I love 300blk and I want a non-AR. Decisions, decisions...

Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Wait on Bren 806.

Linkypoo

It's probably my first "next gen" rifle.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:21:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wait on Bren 806.

Linkypoo

View Quote

I would love the 806. The guys at CZ laugh at me when I ask them when its coming. They say years, as in 3 or 4, if even that. I will be buying a rifle in the next few months. I figure in 3 or 4 years I will be able to buy another rifle. If I buy the 805 in 300blk, it will see thousands of rounds before the 806 gets here.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:04:41 AM EDT
[#3]
The Bren 805 weighs a ton for no good reason. The Czech mil made them lighten it up, which was easy because of a poor first release.

The IWI X95... you'll have a long barrel in a caliber that was supposed to be used like a submachinegun. A niche that the caliber failed at achieving in the mil as they could just change to using 77gr 5.56. As for the gun itself... would be fun, not sure how practical. At least you probably won't have to replace the trigger with a $300 one I guess.

The 'custom AK' is still an AK, and it takes a bit of money to bring them up to the basics that an AR has.

I know this is the 'anything but an AR' section... but just not digging those options too much.

Personally, I'm waiting for the Bren 806, an ACR revamp, or maybe the MSBS if it ever achieves any mil use and goes beyond just a first gen release. Already seen how the Tavor and Bren 805 were followed up by significantly better second generations.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Bren 805 weighs a ton for no good reason. The Czech mil made them lighten it up, which was easy because of a poor first release.

The IWI X95... you'll have a long barrel in a caliber that was supposed to be used like a submachinegun. A niche that the caliber failed at achieving in the mil as they could just change to using 77gr 5.56. As for the gun itself... would be fun, not sure how practical. At least you probably won't have to replace the trigger with a $300 one I guess.

The 'custom AK' is still an AK, and it takes a bit of money to bring them up to the basics that an AR has.

I know this is the 'anything but an AR' section... but just not digging those options too much.

Personally, I'm waiting for the Bren 806, an ACR revamp, or maybe the MSBS if it ever achieves any mil use and goes beyond just a first gen release. Already seen how the Tavor and Bren 805 were followed up by significantly better second generations.
View Quote

Just to throw this out there... I'm now considering a XCR Mini. 6.35 lb empty. Caliber change kits that are available RFN. NOT AN AR.

Only killer for me is that current models are more expensive than an SR15.

ETA: Owner is known to act like a jerk.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I would love the 806. The guys at CZ laugh at me when I ask them when its coming. They say years, as in 3 or 4, if even that. I will be buying a rifle in the next few months. I figure in 3 or 4 years I will be able to buy another rifle. If I buy the 805 in 300blk, it will see thousands of rounds before the 806 gets here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait on Bren 806.

Linkypoo

Good point. I'm expecting 2 years or so, just a WAG.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in the same boat, well minus the trash can gun.  The x95 looks like a lot of fun, but I really want an 806.  Will prob grab an x95 rather than wait for the bren.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

OP HERE. I agree with every single thing you said (except your analysis of 300blk). You will notice I have a post in this section of the forum about the MSBS as well. As you can see I spoke to them at SHOT and they had no good news for me.
Polish Radom MSBS - When???

I guess that's the problem. I have been struggling for months to decide what rifle I really want, my collection is very AR based, and nothing is really jumping out at me. I'm really digging here to come up with a rifle I really want. I know I want something in 300blk that is not an AR. There are just NOT a ton of choices. Looks like Tavor, Robinson, CZ Bren 805, or a Ruger Mini 14. I am also okay with the idea of 7.62x39, hence the custom AK concept. I do NOT need/want the size of a 308. An Intermediary 30 cal is perfect.

Maybe I should wait until something comes along that i really want. I certainly do NEED another rifle right now/ever, LOL.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm in the same boat, well minus the trash can gun.  The x95 looks like a lot of fun, but I really want an 806.  Will prob grab an x95 rather than wait for the bren.
View Quote

I'm guessing the AK is the "trash can" gun? I have never heard that reference before. I get it, kind of funny.

The thing that annoys me about the 300blk Tavor x95, 300blk is the only caliber where the MAJOR benefit of the bullpup design (stuffing a longer barrel in a smaller package), does you absolutely no justice! Maybe even a disservice. You do NOT need a 16" barrel for 300blk. In fact, the long barrel might even do your subs a disservice in the fps department. All you need, and maybe all you even want, is a 9" barrel for 300blk. So you have to suffer with the shortcomings and quirks of the bullpup design (mediocre trigger, places the explosion right under your cheek/face, odd ergonomics), and you don't get to take advantage of the only benefit the design offers.

I think I just talked myself out of the Tavor! I really just don't want or need a 300blk with a 16" barrel. I also have little interest in dropping $2K on an AK. The Bren might be the only option. The 11" pistol only weighs 6.5 lbs., it is the 16" rifle that is heavy at over 8 lbs. The reciprocating charging handle is not a deal breaker for me. I think I am leaning in that direction. The little extra weight will make follow up shots all the easier.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#9]
B&T APC300
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
B&T APC300
View Quote

Do those actually exist? I've only seen a couple people post their 223s.

Speaking of does it really exist; you could also get a 300 BLK kit for an ACR from one of the people on this forum.
No personal experience other than owning an ACR and thinking very highly of it. I would do that or get the 805. I like them too.

A big no on Robinson Arms.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
B&T APC300
View Quote

I would imagine if one was to be found, it would be over $3K! I would love to own a B&T APC 9mm, 223, and 300, I just don't see being to afford those any time soon. $8K for 3 guns!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top