Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2017 12:00:24 PM EDT
Don't see a lot of chatter about the Robinson Armament guns and want to know if anyone has one of these and can tell me how good they are?  Looking for a compact 300blk pistol to register as an SBR so I can use a collapsing stock on it.  Just wanting to know how durable and reliable they are.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 2 XCR-L rifles (same receiver as pistol, just a longer bbl and stock attached).  3,267 rounds through one and 2,746 rounds through the other total (have conversion kits in 300BLK, 5.56, and 7.62x39).  No broken or worn out parts to date.  I like them.  Very reliable once you have the gas properly adjusted for the caliber and loads your are using.  For example, if using factory steel case 5.56, I have to click the gas open one more setting than when using brass case 5.56...no big deal.  

In 300 BLK, with accuracy going from 1 to 10, with 1 the worst and 10 being super accurate, I'd rate it about a 5.  All bbls are 4140 steel and chrome lined per my conversations with the company owner.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had my XCR-L for over ten years now, it's a mid-600's SN and it has been flawless aside from a trigger problem that I made arrangements to get fixed with Robinson and never bothered. They upgraded the trigger after I bought mine and I figured I'd rather have that than to get the old one fixed.

The first 1400 rounds I put thru it were without lube, mostly Wolf and Guatemalan. At 1400 rounds I started to see steel shavings in the reciever and broke down and cleaned it. Turned out the shavings were from the wold cases. The only "failures" I have ever had is that with the gas set to the lowest position, it will sometimes not lock back on an empty mag with Wolf ammo. I leave it there because it shoots so soft at this setting.

It is without a doubt the toughest rifle I own. Not a lightweight by today's standards, but to be fair, the versions Robinson offers today are lighter than what they originally released. Mine feels as close to being a .223 battle rifle as any .223 rifle ever has-it makes an AR feel like a toy even though they weigh the same when you hang the same shit on the AR.

I'd buy an SBR Mini right now if I could afford it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:33:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Are they a good suppressor host?

CSF
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are they a good suppressor host?

CSF
View Quote

The best host available for the 300blk
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 3 XCRs (XCR-M railed, XCR-M keymod, XCR-L (sn in low 700s). My XCR-l (SBR) has in excess of 19k rounds through it of 5.56 and close to 8k of 300blk. I saw the huge potential in this platform and put a bug in Alex's ear. How was I a regular joe able to do that? I was able to do that because of the CS, crazy when the owner picks up the phone and takes a minute to listen to ideas and suggestions. Customer service has been great for me from the beginning with ordering barrels for my SBR, getting the older trigger swapped out and getting the work done on the upper. This conversion has 8 gas settings and can cycle 147gr sub sonic loads with bolt hold open on the last shot, I actually did a video on this. As an avid reloader I put this conversion through its paces. This conversion is a top performer. To the gent with the rifle with the SN in the 600s call RA and explain what's going, there is a updated bolt and carrier group. My older upper had to have a small piece milled to accept the conversion due (performed at RA) to the super short gas system, later models don't require fitting. Performance wise it's boringly reliable and super accurate. I have two other 300blk outs a REM 700 and a 8 inch AAC upper on a POF lower which no longer sees the light of day because of XCR-L usage. I did a couple of YOUTUBE vids on my XCR M/L rifles including the 147gr sub cycling. Don't wonder and have regrets while holding just another run of the mil AR-15s in your hand when you can have something newer, better and different.

147gr 300 BLK Subsonics In XCR-L
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I too have one that is about 11 years old.

Phenomenal gun, sold by a half-assed company run by a complete nitwit.   The biggest problem with the XCR is Alex Robinson.    The XCR had a lot going for it, and could have done a lot better, had Alex made good on half of his promises, or not been a douchebag.

In spite of Alex, it still surprised me that you don't hear more about the guns.  He does need to get with the times and offer a version with an MLOK forend from the factory instead of the rails.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#7]
For some reason I want one of these in 6.5 Grendel but I don't think they make it in that caliber.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I too have one that is about 11 years old.

Phenomenal gun, sold by a half-assed company run by a complete nitwit.   The biggest problem with the XCR is Alex Robinson.    The XCR had a lot going for it, and could have done a lot better, had Alex made good on half of his promises, or not been a douchebag.

In spite of Alex, it still surprised me that you don't hear more about the guns.  He does need to get with the times and offer a version with an MLOK forend from the factory instead of the rails.
View Quote

How is Alex a nitwit or a douchebag? In my worldly travels I find him to be neither, I have talked to the man more then once and found him to be enthusiastic, knowledgeable and receptive. Truthfully I can't imagine anything else. What promises? He didn't promise to make caliber conversions for the SCAR or ACR. Has he personally insulted you?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For some reason I want one of these in 6.5 Grendel but I don't think they make it in that caliber.
View Quote

I do too with a competition length keymod upper, it's the only platform that I believe has a bolt stout enough to handle it. I know they are close, early issues where chamber reamers that didn't match factory ammo. That's not RAs fault nor the tooling company that provided the reamers. In my opinion it was the ammo companies using different iterations of the SAAMI specifications. It's tough to get a rifle let alone a semi automatic rifle to shoot sub moa with a wide offering of ammo. To my knowledge the 6.5 Grendel isn't widely handloaded but if you handloaded it spec'd to your rifle I'm certain you'd see some amazing results. Here see my review of the .243. I'm going to be doing a 6.5 creedmoor in a competition upper here soon. I'm impressed with the performance here.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#10]
My XCR is 5.56 and 7.62x39.  Don't do 300 BLK or suppressors, but I can only assume it'd work great with both.  After a couple thousand rounds of steel cased ammo, you gotta scrub the chamber of fouling to keep cases from sticking, but that's the price you pay to save money shooting steel.  I use my XCR for 3-gun, so it gets wet, dirty and knocked around a bit.  Wouldn't compare it to battle or anything, but it's certainly durable.  I did have a pin on the charging handle walk out during a 3 gun stage, but it's an aftermarket folding charging handle.  Actually, looking at the pic below, it looks like you can see the pin sticking out.  Anyway, again, it's a one off, so don't put that on RA.

Trigger is nice.  Sure aftermarket AR trigger options are better, but the XCR's is better than most.  Gas system is easily adjusted and makes for a soft shooter.  I've give a new shooter an AK and they hate it.  Hand them the XCR with the 7.62x39 kit in and they have no problems.  Yeah, most AKs are overgassed, but that's what's nice about the XCR-you can adjust it.  Controls make sense.  Mag release and safety/selector same as AR.  Bolt catch/release much improved over the AR, as is the non-reciprocating left side charging handle.  I do have to say I wan't too impressed with RA stock options, though I haven't tried the FAST.  Another one off addition is the ACR stock adapter to get the ACR enhanced you see below.

Anyway, I like mine.  If you buy one, just know you're buying from a small shop and all that comes with.

Well I can't get the damned pic to show. Stupid google ruined picasa. Sorry.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Well I'm going to give one a  try and see what it is all about.  Any extra parts I should get just in case?  Also how many parts on it are interchangeable with AR's?

Thanks for all the replies!!

CSF
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Also how many parts on it are interchangeable with AR's?
View Quote

Pistol grips and stocks (if you get the right adapter). That's pretty much it as far as I know.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well I'm going to give one a  try and see what it is all about.  Any extra parts I should get just in case?  Also how many parts on it are interchangeable with AR's?

Thanks for all the replies!!

CSF
View Quote

Get a Mini (if it's available in 300BLK), lighter.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I own 8 of them in total. Absolutely love them. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them.  I know about all there is to know about the platform.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:40:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Here are just three of many examples of the impressive engineering in the XCR.

(1) The cam slot in the carrier has a long-ish straight section at the front of it. This gives the carrier time to build inertia before unlocking the bolt and more time for residual chamber pressure to drop to zero or near zero.

(2) There is a triangular cut in the left side of the barrel extension. It is a caming ramp for the bolt. It gives a 23:1 mechanical advantage in slow powerful initial extraction. This concept was first used in the Mauser model 1898.

(3) The magazine sits high up in the receiver with the feed lips passing through deep cuts in the BCG, putting the rounds close to the bore center line for nearly straight line feeding.

Some of the nice touches to the design are; the few threaded fasteners it uses are common standard fine thread readily available in the hardware isle at Lowes and Home Depot.  Every maintenance and repair task is D.I.Y. The armorers tool kit consists of a folding hex key set, a crescent wrench and one punch.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Is there any extra parts I should keep on hand?

CSF
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#17]
They are like an M1 in that you don't need a box of spare parts to keep it running for a life time but you end up getting some anyway because they are cool to have for just in case.

A spare op rod spring and a couple buffers for posterity. If you plan on doing 100% detail strips, having some small easy to loose parts on hand to replace that one piece that inevitably gets sucked into an alternate dimension is a good idea.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:48:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

CSF
View Quote
being proprietary, you will want a buffer or two, and a spring kit. Not much else to go wrong.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:33:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Not a bad idea to have a firing pin and a buffer. Other than that, I see very little that goes wrong. I see a few people lose the furing pin retention pin though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 6:19:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Take an AK, AR and Fal, and the XCR is your byproduct.

Love the couple I have.  

Robinson Arms can be a lot like beer, it's an aquired taste.  They are a small shop and in todays world of instant communication, sometimes it may be longer than you expected for them to get back to you.  

However, there are two dealers in the US (one in Florida and one in Utah) that both have a great knowlege of firearm and support it.  Even if you have to wait, I'd highly suggest you order it through one of those two.  The only thing I hate about RA is that they will sell direct and ship to your FFL, and at times I don't think they have the resources to keep up and it would be easier on them if they just used distribution.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

CSF
View Quote

In my three examples I haven't had any parts give out and I have thousands of rounds through them. This includes the buffers between the L and two Ms. My XCR-L was from way back 0007xx serial number and had 18k plus with the original buffer system before I got the bolt upgrade with integral buffer. Everything after that was a mix of 5.56 and 300 blk. I'd personally get a full size in keymod and SBR it. As said above you could fix it in a jam a lowes. There are a lot of good technical points covered in these posts and listed on my videos. It is common to find XCR owners to have more then one or even an M96 tucked away somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Great information, I'm thinking about one as well.

What are my "brace options" for the pistol

Thanks-
Shea
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Well I ordered one.  We will see how long it takes but it's in the works!!  Thanks for all the info guys.

CSF
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:57:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

CSF
View Quote

Don't know if they still offer it, as I didn't see it today on their website, but RA at least used to sell a small parts kit of parts that could break or get lost for not much $.  I got a kit for my XCR-L and my XCR-M.  I'm also lucky in that one of the XCR dealers happens to be about 7 miles from my house, so when he got in a bunch of spares I also picked up a spare recoil spring, op rod and complete .223 bolt...why not?  Also bought an extra .223 extractor, but the RA extractor is SO ROBUST (think sorta the size of an AK extractor), it would be highly unusual to break or wear out.  If you need the email of the Florida XCR dealer, let me know, but I don't know what parts/rifles he has on hand right now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#25]
One question I have is since the bolt is non-reciprocating is there an option for bolt assist to seat a round just in case the gun is dirty?

CSF
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
One question I have is since the bolt is non-reciprocating is there an option for bolt assist to seat a round just in case the gun is dirty?

CSF
View Quote

Yes. It's built into the charging handle.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:43:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Great information, I'm thinking about one as well.

What are my "brace options" for the pistol

Thanks-
Shea
View Quote

I believe any thing AR-15, they have an adapter.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:14:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Don't know if they still offer it, as I didn't see it today on their website, but RA at least used to sell a small parts kit of parts that could break or get lost for not much $.  I got a kit for my XCR-L and my XCR-M.  I'm also lucky in that one of the XCR dealers happens to be about 7 miles from my house, so when he got in a bunch of spares I also picked up a spare recoil spring, op rod and complete .223 bolt...why not?  Also bought an extra .223 extractor, but the RA extractor is SO ROBUST (think sorta the size of an AK extractor), it would be highly unusual to break or wear out.  If you need the email of the Florida XCR dealer, let me know, but I don't know what parts/rifles he has on hand right now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CSF

Parts page Parts price list

The two most popular stocking distributor/dealers

Kermit Zahn of Wild Thang Farms (Not Wild Thangs Firearms…common error ! )
3150 Fuller Road
Emmett, Idaho 83617
208-869-1616 (cell)
email: [email protected]

Nate Horner a.k.a. Naval Beaver, Little Jacks Guns
6254 Dixie Rd
Milton FL 32570
(503) 708-4740
(503) 708-4740
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:39:31 AM EDT
[#29]
My favorite 5.56 carbine.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:20:51 AM EDT
[#30]
XCRs are pricey, but if you compare what the factory XCR rifle comes with, it is comparable to a tier one AR with some ad ons.

-monolithic rail

-keymod 

-5 or 8 position adjustable gas block

-45 degree safety

-ambi safety

-ambi mag release

-ambi bolt release which can be worked by your trigger finger (this is the reason all my ARs have bad levers).

- nice, two stage target trigger

-quick change barrel

-the ability to swap calibers with just a bolt, barrel, and magazine change

-choice of 5 calibers (xcr-l)

-non-reciprocating side charging handle

-folding, collapsing stock w/adjustable cheek height

The owner can be arrogant and ridiculous, he really should stay off of social media. But I have to hand it to him, he built and sells what others talked about but couldn't or wouldn't deliver. He builds them in the USA and he sells them to anyone, not just government contracts or law enforcement. It is an unlikely success story in a business dominated by huge companies, many of whom are foreign. I hope they can continue to have enough sales to stay in business and keep adding employees.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:23:28 AM EDT
[#31]
I like my 7.5" 300 blk sbr
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#32]
How did you like that Nordic Components stock on your gun?  I might put one on after SBRing it.

CSF

Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Edit:Reading comprehension is hard, sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How did you like that Nordic Components stock on your gun?  I might put one on after SBRing it.

CSF
View Quote
I actually like it a lot.  It's really short when fully collapsed, which makes it handy. One cool thing about the XCR is that stock adapters can be swapped out quickly.  I have the fast stock and the Nordic available for mine. If I had to choose one, it'd be the fast.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Edit:Reading comprehension is hard, sometimes.
View Quote
Easy mistake to make.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Well it looks like mine will be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait to try out this platform. Thanks for the advice guys!

CSF
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Congrats! Updates?
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Congrats! Updates?
View Quote
And some pics would be nice.......
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrats! Updates?
Well here it is.  I've been shooting and getting used to the system and I love the very low recoil.  I've sent my Form in to SBR it since I plan on keeping it.  I do want to upgrade the can for it but that can wait.

Spec:

7.5inch barrel
300blk
C-More sight
AAC silencer.

Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Well here it is.  I've been shooting and getting used to the system and I love the very low recoil.  I've sent my Form in to SBR it since I plan on keeping it.  I do want to upgrade the can for it but that can wait.

Spec:

7.5inch barrel
300blk
C-More sight
AAC silencer.

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww181/csfirearms/Mobile%20Uploads/20170412_162315_zpslwov6ay6.jpg
View Quote
Very nice!!
Yeah, I would be busy shooting if I had that also...
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Congrats
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Congrats
View Quote
How hard is it to change the gas setting with the longer rail?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

How hard is it to change the gas setting with the longer rail?
View Quote
Very easy.  I use the tip of a bullet to turn it. Just insert it through one of the holes in the upper and turn the knob.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#45]
That's what I plan on doing!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Gr8Santini...

Did you order that straight from RA or somewhere else?  That thing is sweet.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Gr8Santini...

Did you order that straight from RA or somewhere else?  That thing is sweet.
View Quote
I use Nate.

Nate Horner a.k.a. Naval Beaver, Little Jacks Guns
6254 Dixie Rd
Milton FL 32570
(503) 708-4740
(503) 708-4740
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
They were going to offer 6.5G, which was the whole reason I bought one, but Alex was never able to get it to work. There were some guys on the XCRforum that were selling after market barrels, but I am not sure how that came out. I have been considering selling my XCR, lately so I can finish a pistol and Grendel project that I have been kicking around.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:14:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Hopefully you knowledgeable guys can help me here I am in the process of ordering a XCR mini
SBR in 5.56 and 7.62x39 , I am planning on the 10" barrels for both calibers but have some questions as too which
Gas blocks are better.

On the XCR forums guys are saying get the gen 2 block over the gen 3 (hidden) block
As it is easier to adjust and it is better even though it has less gas settings.

I may or may not run the 5.56 barrel with one of my suppressors havnt decided yet.

Thoughts ?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a quote sitting in my mailbox from RA.
Trying to decide between micro or mini.
I am leaning toward mini, 10" barrel, 5.56.
After seeing the collapsible stock, how loud are the mini's?
Can you go without a suppressor?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top