Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2016 3:23:39 PM EDT
I've got what I would consider a pencil barreled A17, the original offering.

Once the barrel heats up, groups go to hell and starts stringing.

Anyone with the new heavy barrel experience the same issues?

I'm considering trading mine for the heavy, I really do like the rifle but its accuracy leaves a lot to be desired.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Very interested myself as I am looking at picking up an A17.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one of the first A17s to hit down. It definitely heats up quickly. I have been contemplating chopping the barre to 16!inches for greater rigidity.... And handiness
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I bit the bullet and traded my pencil for the heavy this morning, going to be a good while before I get to try it out, like next spring but here's to hoping for the best.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  I have one of the first A17s to hit down. It definitely heats up quickly. I have been contemplating chopping the barre to 16!inches for greater rigidity.... And handiness
View Quote

Think about how that will affect the lever-delayed blowback action you have.  Lever delay blowback is reliable, but pretty sensitive.  Think the FAMAS had to be retuned to run SS109 in the G2.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:55:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Think about how that will affect the lever-delayed blowback action you have.  Lever delay blowback is reliable, but pretty sensitive.  Think the FAMAS had to be retuned to run SS109 in the G2.
View Quote

Didn't realize it would be sensitive. May be worth trying out still. I was thinking I would wait to do this till after market bull barrels came out
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Got some shooting in today.

Very happy to report it does NOT string once the barrel heats up, really glad Savage made this change.

Ran 300rds thru without a hiccup, gun grouped consistently at 50yds. Next trip I'll stretch it to 100 and 200yds.

I did use the A17 branded ammo and it does seem to help with cycling.

My first A17 was a huge disappointment, the heavy barreled option performs as I originally hoped for.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#7]
50 yds ,75-100rds

I'm more than happy with this rifle, still have to get it on the 100 and 200 yd range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top