Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2016 3:02:00 PM EDT
I was never remotely interested in the AR-15 when I bought my AK, I had no interest in the 5.56/.223 caliber. Then the AR-15 became available in 6.8spc and my interest was piqued. Were the AR-15 available in 6.8spc when I went to buy the AK I would have probably skipped buying an AK altogether.

The AR is heads and shoulders above the AK in ergonomics, sights, ease of mounting a scope and other accessories and accuracy.

The 6.8spc is a much better performer than 7.62x39, better accuracy, better trajectory, more energy and much better selection of hunting bullets.

The only thing I see that the AK has going for it is the availability of cheap ammo.

I have two AR's, both 16" bbl in 6.8 spcII.

I have two SLR-95's, converted with the proper amount of U.S. made parts to remove the thumbhole stocks and I removed the muzzle brakes. All my magazines are the 20-round Hungarian and I have plenty of ammo for them, fmj and hollow-point.

With money always being a consideration, I have been wanting to get a traditional hunting rifle and the new Glock 40 in 10mm for my woods uses. You can see where this is going, sell the AK's to fund the new guns? Or just keep the AK's and find another way to get the new guns?

I know many say to never sell any firearms, but as the AK's are basically in the same category as the AR's but of a much lesser quality and ability, I can't see having them around to fill a niche the 6.8 AR's already fill.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#2]
God only knows what the Liberals will do if they win.... and you could wish you had bought those firearms when you could have.

I have lived through a few bans.... and when all of a sudden you can't go readily buy something you could last month....it can be miserable.
View Quote

So very true, that has crossed my mind as well. Especially if it comes down to defending a community, I'd rather have the two AK's than a hunting rifle and a 10mm Glock.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:26:26 AM EDT
[#3]
AK ammo prices arent as cheap as they used to be.
I just finished a 6.8 build, I love it! Don't love 6.8 ammo prices though!
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's my take.  I'm not real big into AK's.  I think their ergos suck and I like AR's better.  And furthermore, I think it's overhyped how indestructible and reliable they are.  I've personally seen a few jam, for no apparent reason.   And even worse I have not seen a lot of cheap 7.62 ammo over the last several years.   It seems like it used to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more prevalent.  

However, I also think they have upsides.  I just started to see some cheap ammo on a few websites recently.  And the steel cased ammo is typically as cheap or cheaper than most plnking 5.56 ammo.  And it's got to be a lot cheaper than 6.8 ammo.  And I've also shot my friends AK and thought, dang, I'm hitting where I'm aiming at 100 yards.  Clays on the berm type shooting.  I never benched one but that one didn't strike me as horribly inaccurate as some of have claimed.  It would be interesting to see what a decent one could actually do with decent ammo.  

Then there is the fact if it comes to scrounging ammo, you're probably going to be more likely to find 7.62 than 6.8.  I'd at least keep one.  And personally, I'd get a 5.56 upper for one of your AR's.  Just in case.  

So.....  you're one of the few people I've seen talk about owning a 6.8, especially exclusively over 5.56.  I have always liked the round in theory.  And I would love to have one.  But what's funny is I really wanted to have a bolt gun in 6.8.  Probably wouldn't beat you up like a .308 but would offer maybe some more performance than 5.56.  Terminal performance I guess.  I don't know if it shoots better longer range than a 5.56.  There doesn't seem to be as many choices in ammo.  Do you really like your 6.8's?  Do you reload?  Are you able to find ammo regularly?  I just saw quite a bit of it in American Eagle at Gander mountain and I don't know if I typically see that.  It definitely is not as prevalent as other rounds.   Have you shot it at any longer distances?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I would not even own an AR until they became available in 6.8. I do not reload, I do have a friend in WA that does, so when I get enough empties saved up I ship them out to him.

I have purchased all of my 6.8 ammo online exclusively and have bought enough to last for some time. But I do search online every once in awhile and am still able to find it without too much difficulty and the S&B 110gr. fmj was as a pretty reasonable price not too long ago. Cheaper than dirt has some Federal Eagle 115gr. for $.68 a round right now.

I have only shot at 100 yard ranges, I have not found a range that lets me shoot any further, but it's trajectory place it right in between the 5.56 and .308 rounds, but with 300ft lbs. more energy than 5.56 77gr. otm at 300yds using the 115gr. otm Sierra's.

I accept the limitations of the 6.8 and I don't compare it to more powerful calibers, wouldn't make sense anyway. I do, however, compare it to the 5.56 and in this regard, it blows it out of the water in performance. So, I deducted that if I were to own an AR, why would I choose 5.56 over the much better 6.8spcII?

I would not choose a 5.56 for deer, black bear or other medium to large game animals, not that I'm a bad shot I just understand physics and know what works more consistently on game animals. Consider the 5.56 is a .22 caliber and 6.8 is a .27 caliber, which would you feel more comfortable with when shooting deer or other similar sized animal?

https://www.shootersforum.com/attachments/rifles-rifle-cartridges/446d1076081272-6-5-grendel-vs-6-8-spc-7-62-nato-5-56-nato-g1ballistics.pdf

Browning does make a bolt action in 6.8:
Browning A-Bolt 6.8spc
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#6]
For a little while, Ruger was making the Mini in it too.  I don't think they still do though.  Yeah, I would prefer it over 5.56 for deer.  But the downside is most plinking 5.56 ammo is quite a bit cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd hold off on selling anything until after the election.  Your AK's might become much more desirable.

Regarding conventional hunting rifles, check out the TC Compass.  It's Thompson Center's competition for the Ruger American Rifle, however they are boasting MOA accuracy at a decent price.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#8]
About a year ago, you could shoot 6.8 basically for free.

S&B had good ammo for $5.99/20. It was accurate, brass cased, boxer primed, with really good brass.

At the time, SSA once fired was .35¢ , and everything else was .30¢. So, 20 x .30 = $6.00

So you could shoot it, sell the brass and have really nothing invested in it.

There is still ammo out there, good ammo, for $7.99 a box, and so you're only paying $2.00 for 20 rounds. that's cheaper than XM855 or Wolf, or even steel cased .223 or 7.62x39.

Of course if you reload, that works to cut costs as well.

Now I will admit, I was forced to sell all my guns at tax time due to major mistake in my property taxes, overcharged by over $2000. When they fixed the error, I bought a Tavor for me, and a AK47 for my son. My ARP 6.8 is still at the dealer for sale, because I haven't been back to pick up the AK, and I have mags, hand loads, components, factory ammo, dies ,etc, to take to him. Actually hoping I'm healthy enough to go tomorrow.

Anyway, what I was getting at is that I've been out of the 6.8 game now for a little while.

OP, I wouldn't sell anything right now, wait and see what's going on with the election. I don't think I'd sell the Arsenal anyway ( sold my SLR101s many years ago and have always regretted it ), or the 6.8s. I'd just save up for the other rifle. If you're looking for a hunting gun, the prices will likely stay flat or drop if the military type rifles go up, because they won't be able to move them near as fast, plus, deer season and most other big and medium hunting seasons have started, and people have bought for this year. They'll naturally drop a bit anyway and go up before next season.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Good points. I think I have decided to keep the AK's regardless of the upcoming election. I did vote early yesterday btw and it felt good.
I may be able to get away with not "needing" a hunting rifle as we're moving back to TN and the 6.8 would do fine on deer there within 300 yards.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I have both so here is my experiences and opinion.

My 6.8 is considerably more powerful and a TON more accurate.  It's probably my favorite gun I own to shoot.  It has the great ergonomics of the AR with that extra bit of oomph that makes you go "YEAH" when you shoot it.  Did I mention it was really accurate?

My Vector AKM is a very well made AK and I've added a Zhukov stock, MOE handguard and a scope rail with red dot to greatly improve it's ergos and shootability.  The stock irons are junk.  It's plenty fun to shoot but is still a 2+" gun at 50 yards with steel case ammo so it's not in the same league accuracy wise as my 6.8.

When I hunt I usually use my 6.8 in a blind and my AK when walking around pig hunting.  Why?  Because I don't care about picking up brass for my AK but I reload for 6.8.

That has changed a bit lately since I got several hundred rounds of 6.8 90gr Gold Dot when PSA had it cheap.  So I don't feel so bad losing a few cases.  And I got a suppressor now but only a mount for the 6.8.

Either way the AK would go long before the 6.8 no matter the ammo cost difference.  But I have no intention of selling either.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top