Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2016 5:51:04 PM EDT
so I managed to pick this up.  Turns out I'm only the second owner (third if you count the .gov)

A women sold off some of her late husbands collection. This M1, a couple 1903 Springfield's and a 1907 Winchester.

Came into my buddies shop, he knew that I had been looking for an all original M1 Carbine forever and Saved it for me.

All original Inland marked parts, with flip sight and what has to be the cleanest bore I have ever seen. Just missing the sling and oiler

Shoots awesome -- put about 30 rounds thru it.

Any tips or tricks to keeping it up? Grease, oil, etc?

Or things I should check out on it?

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to the Relics

Cheers

George

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Gorgeous!

I had a blue sky Inland back in the 80s,
I was an idiot to sell it, and my Rock-Ola.

As to lubing:

If it slides, grease it.

If it rotates, oil it.

Enjoy that fabulous rifle!

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not an expert on spotting fakes, but that cartouche looks very suspect, although I can't really say why. Also since it's all Inland parts also tends to point to a messed with rifle (not a guarantee, though). Hopefully someone else will come along with more info. If it is all legit that's a great score with that type 1 barrel band and the original flip rear sight.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#3]
nice carbine.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Beautiful carbine
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm not an expert on spotting fakes, but that cartouche looks very suspect, although I can't really say why. Also since it's all Inland parts also tends to point to a messed with rifle (not a guarantee, though). Hopefully someone else will come along with more info. If it is all legit that's a great score with that type 1 barrel band and the original flip rear sight.
View Quote
From what the women had told my buddy (the owner of the shop) he got it in the late 60's and there it sat. I guess he was an avid collector of militaria

The thing was fuzzy when it came in -- about and 1/4"  of dust and grease was removed.

He said the only thing that was quite right was it had a type two sear -- and something to do with the front sight. I wanna said he said it was chipped but I don't think that is quite right....

I just sent him a message. I'll let you know what he says exactly -- stand by

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
From what the women had told my buddy (the owner of the shop) he got it in the late 60's and there it sat. I guess he was an avid collector of militaria

The thing was fuzzy when it came in -- about and 1/4"  of dust and grease was removed.

He said the only thing that was quite right was it had a type two sear -- and something to do with the front sight. I wanna said he said it was chipped but I don't think that is quite right....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, I could be completely wrong. But the cartouche on my Winchester has some differences. But I'm not completely sure if each factory had their own version of the crossed cannon stamp.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Again, I could be completely wrong. But the cartouche on my Winchester has some differences. But I'm not completely sure if each factory had their own version of the crossed cannon stamp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the crossed cannons was the same but rotation as well as makers initials were unique to each maker . My stock is well worn, and that area is no different.

Still waiting for a replay as to the rifle

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Holy crap.  If it's unmessed with, it's WWII Era and worth more than a rebuild.  

It has all the classic early equipment.  A high wood stock, no bayo lug, flip site, push button safety and flat bolt.  I think you got really lucky there.  The cartouche isn't the one that looks weird to me.  It's the proof mark on the bottom of the pistol grip.  I've never seen the circle around it, that I recall.  Or quite so deep, or something.....  But it is very likely that's just how that wood stock maker did it.   And I'm no expert.  

If it truly sat like that since the 60's it's probably an original USGI and a very desirable one.  

You should check the op slide spring's length.  Should be 10-1/4" or close to it.  Underneath 10" and it's too short.  I think that's what it is.  What kind of mags do you have for it?  And how many.

I think you scored.  Either that or someone pulled one over on you with a bunch of early type repro parts.  I can't really tell from the picture, but usually a dead giveaway is wear on the barrel right in front of the wood from where a bayo lug would have been if converted from arsenal rebuild.  If my eyes are correct, it doesn't seem like there is any wear there.  Although it's kind of hard to tell.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It has all the classic early equipment.  A high wood stock, no bayo lug, flip site, push button safety and flat bolt.  I think you got really lucky there.  The cartouche isn't the one that looks weird to me.  It's the proof mark on the bottom of the pistol grip.  I've never seen the circle around it, that I recall.  Or quite so deep, or something.....  But it is very likely that's just how that wood stock maker did it.   And I'm no expert.  

If it truly sat like that since the 60's it's probably an original USGI and a very desirable one.  

You should check the op slide spring's length.  Should be 10-1/4" or close to it.  Underneath 10" and it's too short.  I think that's what it is.  What kind of mags do you have for it?  And how many.

I think you scored.  Either that or someone pulled one over on you with a bunch of early type repro parts.  I can't really tell from the picture, but usually a dead giveaway is wear on the barrel right in front of the wood from where a bayo lug would have been if converted from arsenal rebuild.  If my eyes are correct, it doesn't seem like there is any wear there.  Although it's kind of hard to tell.
View Quote

I'll definitely check that spring length out. I just talked to my buddy, the owner of the shop and according to him it's 100% original. The only thing it's missing is the sling swivel -- which he's trying to find me.

I'll take a few shots of the barrel for you tonight

Hopefully I did make a good score!!

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The cartouche isn't the one that looks weird to me.  It's the proof mark on the bottom of the pistol grip.  I've never seen the circle around it, that I recall.  Or quite so deep, or something.....  But it is very likely that's just how that wood stock maker did it.   And I'm no expert.
View Quote

That also seemed odd to me. OP, I would post your pics over at the CMP forum and let those guys have a look. They can typically spot an original in an instant.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That also seemed odd to me. OP, I would post your pics over at the CMP forum and let those guys have a look. They can typically spot an original in an instant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The cartouche isn't the one that looks weird to me.  It's the proof mark on the bottom of the pistol grip.  I've never seen the circle around it, that I recall.  Or quite so deep, or something.....  But it is very likely that's just how that wood stock maker did it.   And I'm no expert.

It does almost look too pristine for a WWII gun, but if it really went untouched for a long time and somehow not used much during the war.  Or was still in crates after the war.....  We know there were some guns like that.  Not sure how many.  But you hear stories of Police Agencies getting Thompsons and such from the .gov still in the wrapper.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It does almost look too pristine for a WWII gun, but if it really went untouched for a long time and somehow not used much during the war.  Or was still in crates after the war.....  We know there were some guns like that.  Not sure how many.  But you hear stories of Police Agencies getting Thompsons and such from the .gov still in the wrapper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like I'll be making a acct over at the CMP forum.

We've got to get to the bottom of this though or I'll go crazy  

Any other ways or photos I can take for consideration????? Or help?

I know that there is a "10" stamped into the angled cut were the sling goes on the stick

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know that there is a "10" stamped into the angled cut were the sling goes on the stick

View Quote

That should be an "IO", which stands for Inland.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
Okay.

I took some more shots of the barrel and stock. Much better quality this time

Any other thoughts?

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks to be all original to me. Congrats !!! You have a great piece of history there.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
I only have three mags. My buddy tossed in a couple new Korean mags. Here is a photo of the one that came w/ the carbine

It's a bit rusty in spots -- other than that I know nothing about it

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#17]
To me, there looks like there is discoloring where a bayo lug would be.  That is a red flag to me.  I don't know if it's the lighting or what, but it sure looks like it to me.  I'm no expert.  And I don't even know if anybody makes a repro high wood stock.  But that thing is pristine.  

If the barrel didn't look like that, I would have jumped into the camp of original.  Again, I'm no expert.  But skeptical meter is pegged.

Korean mags have a good reputation for working.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

To me, there looks like there is discoloring where a bayo lug would be.  That is a red flag to me.  I don't know if it's the lighting or what, but it sure looks like it to me.  I'm no expert.  And I don't even know if anybody makes a repro high wood stock.  But that thing is pristine.  

If the barrel didn't look like that, I would have jumped into the camp of original.  Again, I'm no expert.  But skeptical meter is pegged.

View Quote
I'll try and take a better photo tomorrow in the natural light. I don't see a mark or discoloroing in person -- could just me wanting it to be the real deal  hahaa
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:53:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Gorgeous!

I had a blue sky Inland back in the 80s,
I was an idiot to sell it, and my Rock-Ola.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1DTwB2CwVg

As to lubing:

If it slides, grease it.

If it rotates, oil it.

Enjoy that fabulous rifle!

View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
Okay. Here are some natural light barrel photos - starting to think I got lucky. Doesn't seem to be any discoloring to me -- but I'm no expert

Thoughts? Did I get a rare one?

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#21]
$1500 Carbine......... Nice!
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay. Here are some natural light barrel photos - starting to think I got lucky. Doesn't seem to be any discoloring to me -- but I'm no expert

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa391/catchgeo/IMG_5668_zpspxw6j02h.jpg

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa391/catchgeo/IMG_5661_zpshqwmpfp0.jpg

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa391/catchgeo/IMG_5665_zpskcn9ulea.jpg

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa391/catchgeo/IMG_5663_zpsvruh6zei.jpg

Yeah that didn't help at all.  You see in the other pic you posted, about midway between the front of the stock and the front sight, there is clearly a line, and it's lighter towards the stock, and darker towards the front sight.  That's what a barrel looks like when it has had a bayo lug on it.  I'm just sayin......

It's possible that there is another explanation, but that's like the first obvious thing to look for when trying to spot a carbine that was converted from an arsenal rebuild back to an original configuration.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:54:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah that didn't help at all.  You see in the other pic you posted, about midway between the front of the stock and the front sight, there is clearly a line, and it's lighter towards the stock, and darker towards the front sight.  That's what a barrel looks like when it has had a bayo lug on it.  I'm just sayin......

It's possible that there is another explanation, but that's like the first obvious thing to look for when trying to spot a carbine that was converted from an arsenal rebuild back to an original configuration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well crap. It's bizarre the light must just have been perfect because I can't really recreate that.

I wonder if I can find a smith or avid M1 Carbine guy around southern Vermont, NH, or Mass (I'm in the southeast corner of Vermont)  that could give me a definite answer, taking an actual physical look at the gun.

Anyone know of anyone?

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Nice carbine. All of mine have type III bands. I did get an inland with a type I with a flip up sight, but the owner had filed a V in one of the apertures and it looked like they had taken a dremel to the band and cut off the sling swivel and marked it all up. I'd like an early one as nice as yours someday.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Well crap. It's bizarre the light must just have been perfect because I can't really recreate that.

I wonder if I can find a smith or avid M1 Carbine guy around southern Vermont, NH, or Mass (I'm in the southeast corner of Vermont)  that could give me a definite answer, taking an actual physical look at the gun.

Anyone know of anyone?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone know of anyone?

I don't know if Pack and Postal in MA is still running but he is a big milsurp dealer.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Beautiful specimen OP!

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Figured I'd just throw a pic in here.  For giggles.  Obviously mine is an arsenal rebuild.    It would be really saweeeeet if yours is all original.  Either way it's a freaking nice gun.  If you go to milsurps.com or the cmp boards, there are far more guys that can tell you more for sure.  I only know enough to be dangerous.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top