Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2016 8:37:39 AM EDT
Right, wrong or indifferent, I am of the belief I better get anything I want gun related purchased before the election. That said, I'm not sure what if anything else I need or should seriously consider getting?

I'm specifically thinking about magazine feed semi-auto's rifles that I may one day regret not having? Currently all I have rifle wise are AR's (4 total including 2 SBR's, one being a PCC) along with plenty of mags, spare lowers, parts and ammo to keep them going for many years. I also have a few .22LR rifles (10/22 and CZ 452). I also have 3 suppressors coming once I get the stamps back (.22, 9mm, .30). The .30 cal can (SiCo Omega) will be used on my 5.56mm SBR and eventually a .300BLK SBR.

So what other magazine fed, semi-auto rifles should I seriously consider getting before its too late?

I thought about an AK? I use to have a pretty good one but I just never cared for that platform so I hardly ever shot it, hence why I sold it.

I thought about some type of .30 cal semi-auto (AR-10 type, M-14, SCAR-H) but I don't hunt and don't have any place to shoot long range so I don't know what the point would be?

I thought about some of the newer 5.56 designs like the SCAR or ACR and while they are kind of cool, they don't really do anything my AR's don't already do?

Then there are the bullpups? Honestly, they never really interested me but maybe I should reconsider for some reason?

So what say the hive?
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:07:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Might want to consider a Garand from CMP.

Not something one might shoot every day but as a answer to your question it fits in a couple ways .

There are only so many of them around , price is likely to keep going up .

I can see them being cut off by politics as they are semi , military and scary .

Not the perfect solution but it does sort of fit for 30 cal long range .

History and just good fun to shoot
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That is definitely on the list. I know prices have already gone up a lot over the years and the selection has gone down so I should have bought one years ago. It's not technically magazine fed and only has a 8rd capacity so I don't know if it would be affected by any new ban but either way, I'd like to get one sooner rather then later. They aren't making any more of them.

Quoted:
Do you have a precision rifle ?  Sooner or later the accuracy bug can hit hard !

No, not yet. If I did, I would think a bolt action would suffice(?) but in semi-auto form, an AR-10 setup somewhat like the M110 Semi Automatic Sniper System is very tempting?

I've seriously considered picking up a Mega Arms MATEN MML setup to build a m110'ish style SASS?

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I have bought and sold Sig556, MSAR, Scar 16 and 17, SLR104FR, Norinco Mak90, and Sig MCX. My Beretta ARX will probably stay along with the Keltec RDB but my purpose build rifles are all ARs.

ARs are where its at IMO. Maybe its because I grew up with them and have owned at least 1 since I turned 18. I believe the 5.56 AR is the best option from 0-500m.

If you are into collecting then you have many many you might regret not getting
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whenever they go back up for sale, unless you want a Winchester Special.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]
FAL
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#7]
M-1 Carbine.  M-14.  Garand.  

There's no guaranty a Garand WON'T be on a banned list.  If in fact there is a ban.  My guess are the ones safest are non semi autos.  But who knows.  The fact is they've been trying to ban and talk about banning semi autos.  Along with all guns.  So...... they're ALL  under scrutiny at some point or another.  

M-1 Carbines might be the way to go since you say you don't shoot overly far.  

I've always wanted a Mini 14.  Just to see what it REALLY is like.  But I also thought maybe a Mini 30 would be a good choice.  I've heard good things.  I'd probably like it better than an AK also.  

I've always wanted a bolt gun of a more intermediate caliber.  Not one that will beat you up too badly when shooting.  Or even one in .223.  I just like bolt guns.  So I'm thinking they'll be safe for a while.  But you never know.........
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#8]
As many $500 AR's you can afford.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Honestly I think if she wins Obama will executive order gun control the next day so it gets done but she dosenf take the heat affecting a reelection 4yrs later.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Garand was not even banned the last what a worthless recommendation.
Precision rifle LOL.

She can executive order ban on firearms and parts from over seas. So
Get any foreign made semiautos and mags first including semi auto handguns

Mags and us made guns are farther out and we will get notice. It has to pass bith houses first.

Ammo ban is tricky and unlikely. But consider buying bullets not ammo. Could see
A lead ban.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Garands aren't going to be banned. But CMP is going to run out, within the next year.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No, not yet. If I did, I would think a bolt action would suffice(?) but in semi-auto form, an AR-10 setup somewhat like the M110 Semi Automatic Sniper System is very tempting?

I've seriously considered picking up a Mega Arms MATEN MML setup to build a m110'ish style SASS?

View Quote

I'm one step ahead of you. Do it, I love this thing. This ones a 6.5CM

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm not really. I probably would be if I was rich but I'm not so I have a hard time spending a lot of money on something I don't have a legitimate purpose for but then again, this may be a now or never moment?

Quoted:
Quoted:

Whenever they go back up for sale, unless you want a Winchester Special.

My ideal would be a WWII era Springfield Armory with a decent stock and barrel and be mostly correct. Probably not going to find that at the CMP anymore? If I get an M1 Carbine, I'd like that to be a Winchester

Quoted:
M-1 Carbine.  M-14.  Garand.  

There's no guaranty a Garand WON'T be on a banned list.  If in fact there is a ban.  My guess are the ones safest are non semi autos.  But who knows.  The fact is they've been trying to ban and talk about banning semi autos.  Along with all guns.  So...... they're ALL  under scrutiny at some point or another.  

That is true. You can't look at the last federal AWB because they know that one was useless. YOu have to look at places like CA and NY for an idea of what to expect but there is no saying that won't try something completely off the wall?

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm one step ahead of you. Do it, I love this thing. This ones a 6.5CM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/soclose4/Mobile%20Uploads/P1000082_zpskm6ko2ce.jpg
View Quote

Sweet!
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:56:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm in the same place airgunner, been trying to decide if I should do something.  Looked at some nice Arsenal AK's, but can't justify the cost for an AK.  Have been thinking pretty seriously about a Tavor, or maybe a SCAR-H--but price on the SCAR is rough.  I've always wanted a PCC--mostly a SBR MP5 clone, but the MPX looks really interesting for its AR-like handling and MP5 form factor.

But, then maybe just finish a box of AR spare parts and call it a day, or just buy a bunch of ammo and mags.  I too want something before I maybe can't, and we just sold our house so we have a little money, but I also have a project truck and a million other things I could do with the cash (like leave it in the bank).

ETA: Something to consider maybe is something more rare--like the FN49, or other more obscure but interesting semi-auto stuff.  An M1 Carbine has my attention, as I already have a Garand.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#16]
SCAR 17 would be one to get. Also send out a form 1 on it just incase you ever wanted to get a short barrel for it down the road. Prices are through the roof on these right now because of the potential ban. I am taking a chance and will wait for it to cool off from the panic buying.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#17]
MP5 clone is my most fun gun.  If you don've have one you're missing out.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
But, then maybe just finish a box of AR spare parts and call it a day, or just buy a bunch of ammo and mags.  I too want something before I maybe can't, and we just sold our house so we have a little money, but I also have a project truck and a million other things I could do with the cash (like leave it in the bank).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, it does sound like we are in the same boat. I don't want to buy something (especially something really expensive) "just because" if its something that I won't end up using much? My guess is, if there is another AWB, there will be registration this time and you won't be able to sell anything after it takes effect?. That and I also have a number of non-gun related stuff that could use the money just as much. Decisions, decisions

Quoted:
SCAR 17 would be one to get. Also send out a form 1 on it just incase you ever wanted to get a short barrel for it down the road. Prices are through the roof on these right now because of the potential ban. I am taking a chance and will wait for it to cool off from the panic buying.

I could be wrong (and hope that I am) but if the prices are already rising, I don't see them cooling off any time soon? As we get closer to the election (assuming it looks more and more like Hilderbeast is going to win), I expect the panic buying to just get worse? If god forbid she does win, I think shit will hit the fan worse then it did when FBHO got elected. That's just my guess?

As for the form 1, I tried to get all of my class 3 stuff done before 41F. I don't know how keen I am on doing any more under the new rules and especially with the current backlogs? That's also why I'm on the fence with some other platforms? There are a number of guns I would be more interested in if I could SBR them under the old rules (SCAR, ACR, MPX, etc.) then I am now or in non-SBR form.

Quoted:
MP5 clone is my most fun gun.  If you don've have one you're missing out.

I did shoot an MP5 once but wasn't all that thrilled with it. One of my SBR's is a 4.5" Colt pattern 9mm build that I have an SiCo Octane9HD coming for. Its already pretty fun without the can but I can't wait to get the can for it! I've also started considering a Franklin Armory BFS trigger for it which could really bump up the fun factor?!

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#19]
AR10 variant.

For range and especially down range energy.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Sounds to me like you have a handle on things OP.

You have AR's and an AR PCC. mags and ammo. . . . after that it's all a matter of preference IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sounds to me like you have a handle on things OP.

You have AR's and an AR PCC. mags and ammo. . . . after that it's all a matter of preference IMHO.
View Quote

I have to say, the more I think about it, the more I think you are right. I will probably just buy more ammo and maybe some more mags?

The only semi-auto rifle that is even tempting is either SCAR-17 or AR-10 but I don't really have any need or use for something like that? If I did develop a big bore itch, I think a Ruger Gunsite Scout could probably take care of that itch for less then 1/3 of the price.

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:23:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Right, wrong or indifferent, I am of the belief I better get anything I want gun related purchased before the election. That said, I'm not sure what if anything else I need or should seriously consider getting?

I'm specifically thinking about magazine feed semi-auto's rifles that I may one day regret not having? Currently all I have rifle wise are AR's (4 total including 2 SBR's, one being a PCC) along with plenty of mags, spare lowers, parts and ammo to keep them going for many years. I also have a few .22LR rifles (10/22 and CZ 452). I also have 3 suppressors coming once I get the stamps back (.22, 9mm, .30). The .30 cal can (SiCo Omega) will be used on my 5.56mm SBR and eventually a .300BLK SBR.

So what other magazine fed, semi-auto rifles should I seriously consider getting before its too late?

I thought about an AK? I use to have a pretty good one but I just never cared for that platform so I hardly ever shot it, hence why I sold it.

I thought about some type of .30 cal semi-auto (AR-10 type, M-14, SCAR-H) but I don't hunt and don't have any place to shoot long range so I don't know what the point would be?

I thought about some of the newer 5.56 designs like the SCAR or ACR and while they are kind of cool, they don't really do anything my AR's don't already do?

Then there are the bullpups? Honestly, they never really interested me but maybe I should reconsider for some reason?

So what say the hive?
View Quote

IMHO. Ammo, lots and lots of ammo.  There are a shit ton of AR's out there.  Without ammo they are worthless.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Garand was not even banned the last what a worthless recommendation.
Precision rifle LOL.

She can executive order ban on firearms and parts from over seas. So
Get any foreign made semiautos and mags first including semi auto handguns

Mags and us made guns are farther out and we will get notice. It has to pass bith houses first.

Ammo ban is tricky and unlikely. But consider buying bullets not ammo. Could see
A lead ban.
View Quote

If you really want to prepare for hillary get a reloading setup or if you have one go out and spend 1500 you were going to on a gun on bullets,brass and powder.
The goal for the dems isn't likely to be a all out ban, first goal will be to repeal the protection act for gun/ ammo makers on being sued if there ammo/ gun was used in crime.  If the DEM'S can pull that off they won't need any gun control because it will make getting a gun or ammo harder and eventually maybe even impossible.  Agree that a ban on imported guns is likely to come soon after she is elected.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I could be wrong (and hope that I am) but if the prices are already rising, I don't see them cooling off any time soon? As we get closer to the election (assuming it looks more and more like Hilderbeast is going to win), I expect the panic buying to just get worse? If god forbid she does win, I think shit will hit the fan worse then it did when FBHO got elected. That's just my guess?

As for the form 1, I tried to get all of my class 3 stuff done before 41F. I don't know how keen I am on doing any more under the new rules and especially with the current backlogs? That's also why I'm on the fence with some other platforms? There are a number of guns I would be more interested in if I could SBR them under the old rules (SCAR, ACR, MPX, etc.) then I am now or in non-SBR form.
View Quote

It's purely a guess for me but I think there will be a huge surge and then it will die out again like Obama panic. There will be a few years before she has any steam on passing stuff. I could be completely wrong.

As for form 1 stuff I am just sending everything out. Get it in the queue so if anything is changed you might have shot. Worse case you apply for a refund and get your stamp back if you never assemble it into a SBR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top