Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2016 11:19:02 AM EDT
Here lately I've been thinking of thinning the herd a bit. I have too many builds going at once and am getting tired of not having any complete rifles. After owning many different configurations and brands I'm thinking of selling stuff to get a few top of the line rifles. I'd keep my lowers and build those up later if I decided to. I currently have a Knights sr15 carbine that needs a few parts so I'd finish it and get a couple of other rifles. I've also been thinking of how much easier it would be to go to the range or "bug out" if need be with a few rifles and the associated equipment versus 10 rifles.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#1]
"Damn, I wish I'd sold that rifle!" said nobody ever.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Now is not a good time.. market is still soft.

Wait until December.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I have no problems selling firearms.  If I don't use them and they have no sentimental value, they are gone.

I move firearms to free up space and capital for new ones.  Simple.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#4]
To further clarify, I would be selling a bunch of parts like receivers, barrels, and rails. No actual rifles would be sold.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have no problems selling firearms.  If I don't use them and they have no sentimental value, they are gone.

View Quote
+1.  

Although I have one or two regrets the majority has helped me make my collection more enjoyable
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a couple of lowers I want to get rid of but obviously now is not the time.  Consolidation and improvement has been my focus the past couple years.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in the same boat.  My problem is the stuff I rarely use and would sell are the same firearms that you can no longer buy new.  Being much more expensive and difficult to replace makes them much harder to sell...even at a 300% profit...
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
To further clarify, I would be selling a bunch of parts like receivers, barrels, and rails. No actual rifles would be sold.
View Quote

Keep the receivers and sell the barrels, rails, and other accessories.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
+1.    

Although I have one or two regrets the majority has helped me make my collection more enjoyable
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.    

This is how I view it as well.  Outside of the sentimental stuff like my late father's Mini-14, it's just a pile of tools.  If I can get a more betterer tool by selling one I don't use, that's a win.

Unfortunately, the market is extremely soft right now, so anything I want to get rid of would have to be at ~50% of value, which isn't worth it to me.  Taking a break from selling my leftovers and spare parts in the EE because it's so brutal between the low-ballers, shipping costs, and competing with the PSAs of the world.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be keeping all the lower receivers and some upper receivers that are harder to come by. Some I won't be needing and if I do they're pretty easy to find.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same. I'm down to a single SBR'd lower, and 2 uppers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got through having a auction house help me thin the herd. I took pretty much all of my extras and got rid of them after cherry picking the best to keep. Also got rid of the ones that no longer appealed as much. I have been concentrating on older S&W revolvers lately, especially Model 19's. Like one of the guys said above, kept the sentimental pieces and built up the slush fund selling those I did not shoot.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is phenomenal advice.  The receivers are inexpensive enough and the only serialized part.  

I'm constantly worried about selling and not having an FFL, and this is a great way to get around this.  

Lowers will be hard to get (believe it or not) leading up to and after the election for at least months.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:20:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agree with this. I don't have tons on money so the only way I can truly find what I want is to flip and buy new and repeat until I land on something I like. has also helped keep the ammo issue in check as well. I had way to diverse of a fleet to kept fed. now I'm down to the basics 22lr, 9mm, .223, .308, 12g.

Finish your sr15, keep your lower and upper recievers (there harder to find these days) then flip everything else. outfit your go to rifle with a quality optic, sling and light then if your mag and ammo situation isn't sound I'd dump the money into that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top