Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2016 7:37:12 PM EDT
I recently purchased a new production M1 carbine from one of the better known shops. This rifle has a new receiver and barrel combined with USGI parts, and is advertised as being mil-spec.

I won't name the manufacturer, as I have contacted them and am in the process of seeking resolution.

The rifle, overall appears to be very well made, but when I field stripped it for cleaning prior to firing it, I noticed that the action/barrel did not seem to fit the stock well, With the barrel band and hand guard removed, the barrel was noticeably offset to on side. Also, the gap around the magazine well/trigger housing on the stock was uneven, again suggesting that the action was not fitting into the stock very well. It actually takes a fair amount of force to line things up and install the handguard/barrel band.

Now, I realize this isn't a precision rifle, but it was quite expensive, and for what I paid, I would expect something without what, to me, appear to be fitment issues.

If you wouldn't mind, take a look at the pictures and give me your opinion as to whether this would be acceptable to you, or if I am making a mountain out of a mole-hill.  Thanks,

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#1]
For what you probably paid, I'd also not be happy with that fit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I have GI carbines that look like that. If it really bothers you, try playing with the retaining plate/screw and seeing if loosening it slips it into a better position.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#3]
The receiver to stock fit on real USGI carbines is no better, often worse.  This is a short range weapon so better stock inletting or bedding has little practical benefit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#4]
When the hand guard and barrel band are installed, does it pull the stock closer to straight?

I am by no means a M1 Carbine expert (FAR from it) but I have owned two USGI examples over the years. I would say that on both, the wood to metal / action to stock fit was less than appealing but they both shot fine. I had always assumed is was because the guns had been overhauled at least a couple times as well as age, exposure to harsh conditions, etc.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The receiver to stock fit on real USGI carbines is no better, often worse.  This is a short range weapon so better stock inletting or bedding has little practical benefit.
View Quote

This.  The fit on the one you have is pretty much normal.  Some are better, others are worse.  There is a lot of variation in carbine parts.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for everyone's input. This is my first carbine, so I don't have anything to compare to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top