Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#1]
It used to be 5.56 until a SCAR 17 fell out of the sky and into my lap.  Go to is now .30hate.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to for what? If I am bugging out and taking to the WV hills I am taking a .22lr.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Still don't see how a. SA sg with 10 rd is better than a krink 762 with 75 rd drum filled with AP ammo or standard ammo. Or DSA OSW in 308 with 30 or 50 rd drum.  Both  rifles are shorter and will give u more penetration. Also more ammo and easier to reload.  Maybe a saiga 12 ga would be better but still less rounds and 12 ga won't have as much penetration.  Plus if the SHTF the sg is limited in range
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't have it, your not going to is how I see the question.

5.45x39 for rifles and carbines.

9x19 for handguns and pistol caliber carbines.

I'm really low on 9mm though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still don't see how a. SA sg with 10 rd is better than a krink 762 with 75 rd drum filled with AP ammo or standard ammo. Or DSA OSW in 308 with 30 or 50 rd drum.  Both  rifles are shorter and will give u more penetration. Also more ammo and easier to reload.  Maybe a saiga 12 ga would be better but still less rounds and 12 ga won't have as much penetration.  Plus if the SHTF the sg is limited in range
View Quote

It would be lighter.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It would be lighter.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be lighter.  

You're in a house. It's not like I have to carry it around for miles.  Weight here isn't much of an issue.  A krink isn't that heavy.   So a sg can do the job but you're at a disadvantage compared to rifle
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You're in a house. It's not like I have to carry it around for miles.  Weight here isn't much of an issue.  A krink isn't that heavy.   So a sg can do the job but you're at a disadvantage compared to rifle
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be lighter.  

No offense, but have you actually handled all these guns? He's probably commenting on the fact that even a fully-loaded 12-gauge is going to be light as a feather and maneuverable in comparison to the handling of a FAL clone with a 50-round 7.62 NATO drum or a Krinkov with a 75-round 7.62 commie drum. That .308 you're theorizing about is going to be a 15-pound brick. The Krinkov is going to be north of 10-pounds as well with almost half the weight fighting you from the magwell. If I was going to pick an ideal long arm to clear a home with, both of those in those configurations would be close to dead last for what I'd reach for.

A fully loaded, say, M4 Super90 or M590a1 are not lightweights but they will handle indoors with complete ease in comparison to those weapons. If I'm going to use .308, give me something maneuverable with good balance that keeps it under 10 pounds with a 20-round PMAG like an SR-25 carbine, or for a more realistic budget, an LE901. Those I'd reach for no problem as they're lightweight and handle like a dream.

Also, why are you worried about penetration? 000 buck, 00 buck, and even #1 buck have no problems whatsoever hitting the FBI-recommended 12+ inches at normal engagement ranges. There's been plenty of testing of that including by our own Old_Painless. Slugs will even do it at long (for a shotgun) range.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 1:28:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a SCAR-17 leaning against my nightstand because I hate my neighbors and love tinnitus. EEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Just kidding...Benelli M4 and G17 FTW....
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 1:59:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a SCAR-17 leaning against my nightstand because I hate my neighbors and love tinnitus. EEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Just kidding...Benelli M4 and G17 FTW....
View Quote

Yeah... I've got very mild tinnitus from ear infections when I was really young. I don't need any more, thanks. I also fired a .243 Win unprotected under a low aluminum roof when I was a kid at my grandparents' farm trying to get a coyote to stay away from the chickens. I flashbanged myself without the flash; holy frigging hell. I got real friendly with ear pro after that and always have been since. Rifle rounds indoors with no ear pro are no joke, especially from a short barrel.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No offense, but have you actually handled all these guns? He's probably commenting on the fact that even a fully-loaded 12-gauge is going to be light as a feather and maneuverable in comparison to the handling of a FAL clone with a 50-round 7.62 NATO drum or a Krinkov with a 75-round 7.62 commie drum. That .308 you're theorizing about is going to be a 15-pound brick. The Krinkov is going to be north of 10-pounds as well with almost half the weight fighting you from the magwell. If I was going to pick an ideal long arm to clear a home with, both of those in those configurations would be close to dead last for what I'd reach for.

A fully loaded, say, M4 Super90 or M590a1 are not lightweights but they will handle indoors with complete ease in comparison to those weapons. If I'm going to use .308, give me something maneuverable with good balance that keeps it under 10 pounds with a 20-round PMAG like an SR-25 carbine, or for a more realistic budget, an LE901. Those I'd reach for no problem as they're lightweight and handle like a dream.

Also, why are you worried about penetration? 000 buck, 00 buck, and even #1 buck have no problems whatsoever hitting the FBI-recommended 12+ inches at normal engagement ranges. There's been plenty of testing of that including by our own Old_Painless. Slugs will even do it at long (for a shotgun) range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be lighter.  

None taken. And I own a DSA OSW as well a AKs and 75 rd drums. Including German AP 762x39 ammo as well as 308 AP ammo. I would take my 2 foot long 308 cal OSW w 30 rd mag in CQB any day over a sg. Or my ak w 30 40 rd mag or 75 rd drum. If I were in a vehicle doing psd or clearing a home I would not go w a sg as my primary weapon when I have the option of a shorter weapon that is easier to load and has more rounds. Again I have never seen a swat team in the US use the sg as a primary weapon other than to breach the door. And I have never seen SOF in the US use them as their primary weapon either when clearing a home. .  Maybe they are doing something wrong
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

None taken. And I own a DSA OSW as well a AKs and 75 rd drums. Including German AP 762x39 ammo as well as 308 AP ammo. I would take my 2 foot long 308 cal OSW w 30 rd mag in CQB any day over a sg. Or my ak w 30 40 rd mag or 75 rd drum. If I were in a vehicle doing psd or clearing a home I would not go w a sg as my primary weapon when I have the option of a shorter weapon that is easier to load and has more rounds. Again I have never seen a swat team in the US use the sg as a primary weapon other than to breach the door. And I have never seen SOF in the US use them as their primary weapon either when clearing a home. .  Maybe they are doing something wrong
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be lighter.  

So what you are saying is we should all do what you do and what you say the rest of the professionals are doing.   Do I have that right?  Somehow a shotgun sucks at killing people cuz you say so and nobody in SWAT or the Military is doing that.  Ever.  Never.  

Got it.  I'll just leave this pic with you.  I'm not saying it proves anything.  But I'm pretty sure I've read enough accounts of combat to know that some dudes used a shotgun in a deadly force scenario.  And lived to tell about it.  I never get this whole, (because this is the BEST, the rest is crap, thinking)  Plus what you say the best is just that (I personally would not choose any of the ones you just mentioned).   Obviously you make pertinent points and there are reasons that shotguns aren't necessarily the first thing to grab for a lot of people.  But c'mon, a dude that knows what he's doing and trains with it, is going to be deadly with it (like any gun that is capable of killing someone).  It has it's upsides.  And yes, being on the lighter side of things has it's advantages.  IMHO.  Of course it makes recoil a bit more of a challenge which also can be tamed with managed recoil rounds.  But I think Frost has made plenty of good points too, which seem to just go right over your head like it's completely invalid.  So, whatever, that's your prerogative.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 3:07:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I have seen mossberg 5901 sg in Afghanistan but that still doesn't mean it's a better weapon for clearing or CQB. Will it work yes is it the best option no. That's what I'm saying. And a rifle like scar or krink or other rifle is better imo based on the professionals I have seen.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#13]
You're probably right.  I personally think calling it foolish was a bit, maybe over the top.  But I've already made that clear and the fact is all I've ever killed are stuff that wasn't shooting back at me.  So...  I have no first hand experience.   I would feel good with one as a HD gun though.   Even if it's not the BEST option out there.  I don't think the ones you listed are necessarily the BEST either. But to each his own.

ETA:  My brother in law is from Mobile and he had said he had a buddy that got caught in all the flooding recently in Louisiana.  He claims he was sort of stranded on the rooftop and there were water moccasin's all over the place and trying to come up on the rooftop with him.  But he had his shotgun and apparently kept them at bay.  I realize that is a very specific situation.  

But I could see where a dude might find himself in a situation that he might go, dang I wish I had a shotgun.  Like if he needed to shoot some birds for food or something like that.  With this flooding scenario, I would think it was a good idea over a carbine or something.  If the very least you'd want a gun where the sights aren't so far offset, shooting at small targets like that.  

At the same time you might find yourself in a scenario where you'd want to shoot a deer 500 yards away and only have a shotgun.  What I find least likely is a scenario where you are pumping hordes of people full of lead.  Like a walking dead episode.  But it seems like that's what people most like to be prepared for.  Which is what you kind of alluded to.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You're probably right.  I personally think calling it foolish was a bit, maybe over the top.  But I've already made that clear and the fact is all I've ever killed are stuff that wasn't shooting back at me.  So...  I have no first hand experience.   I would feel good with one as a HD gun though.   Even if it's not the BEST option out there.  I don't think the ones you listed are necessarily the BEST either. But to each his own.
View Quote

I'm not saying the rifles I picked are the best ones. I'm saying a sa rifle is better than a sg based on what most experts use and my knowledge.  And isn't it foolish to protect your home and family with a weapon less effective if you could have a better one?  If I were to pick a sg it would be a reliable compact sg with 20 rd mag. And even then I'd still take a rifle
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

ETA:  My brother in law is from Mobile and he had said he had a buddy that got caught in all the flooding recently in Louisiana.  He claims he was sort of stranded on the rooftop and there were water moccasin's all over the place and trying to come up on the rooftop with him.  But he had his shotgun and apparently kept them at bay.  I realize that is a very specific situation.  

But I could see where a dude might find himself in a situation that he might go, dang I wish I had a shotgun.  Like if he needed to shoot some birds for food or something like that.  With this flooding scenario, I would think it was a good idea over a carbine or something.  If the very least you'd want a gun where the sights aren't so far offset, shooting at small targets like that.  

At the same time you might find yourself in a scenario where you'd want to shoot a deer 500 yards away and only have a shotgun.  What I find least likely is a scenario where you are pumping hordes of people full of lead.  Like a walking dead episode.  But it seems like that's what people most like to be prepared for.  Which is what you kind of alluded to.
View Quote

In a SHTF scenario it's still better to have an AR in 223 with 22 conversion. U can take small and larger game. CQB and longer range. And much better for combat.  The sg would only be better for birds and very large animals. There is a place for sg. But it isn't as effective or versatile. There will be fewer time u will say I wish I had a sg than u would say I wish I had an AR. Especially when u have a bunch of thugs w guns trying to loot your store or take your food.  I think it would be prudent to have at least a rifle sg and 22 for any SHTF scenario. But if I had to chose one    I'd take the ar w 22 conversion
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I see you arguing repeatedly against people using their shotgun as their primary weapon in a SHTF scenario.

The thing is I can't find anyone in the thread saying they'd do that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I see you arguing repeatedly against people using their shotgun as their primary weapon in a SHTF scenario.

The thing is I can't find anyone in the thread saying they'd do that.
View Quote

ETA: My brother in law is from Mobile and he had said he had a buddy that got caught in all the flooding recently in Louisiana. He claims he was sort of stranded on the rooftop and there were water moccasin's all over the place and trying to come up on the rooftop with him. But he had his shotgun and apparently kept them at bay. I realize that is a very specific situation.

But I could see where a dude might find himself in a situation that he might go, dang I wish I had a shotgun. Like if he needed to shoot some birds for food or something like that. With this flooding scenario, I would think it was a good idea over a carbine or something. If the very least you'd want a gun where the sights aren't so far offset, shooting at small targets like that.

That's from the post above.  I guess u don't think that's a survival SHTF scenario but I do
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#18]
A single shot 12 ga with GaugeMate adapters would be interesting.  They're chamber inserts that allow you to chamber other calibers.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:39:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You're assuming things are predictable. You may know your home but you won't know the situation...the number of bad guys and what weapons they have.  A Bad guy w ak in a home will be more effective then any good guy defending his home alone w a sg. U have the advantage of knowing the area but don't have the weapon advantage. It's better to have both. If I were the bad guy determined to kill u or your family I'd use a krink w 75 round drum filled with 762x39 German AP ammo. Sg versus sa or fa rifle is no match. Or take my OSW w 30 or 50 rds of 308. Walls won't be much of an issue.  a sg harder to reload and has less rounds. So even if a sg is effective it's still not as effective as a sa rifle.

As far as legal issues go aiding think shooting a thug in your home is going to win a legal battle no matter what weapon u use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now a shotgun is foolish?  Wow.  Well, I guess I wouldn't necessarily like it for anything past 25 yards.  OR maybe 35.  But I think it depends on the person and set up.  Slugs in the right gun can go pretty far.  And I would think it makes a great HD gun.  

I think people have a tenancy to take a sort of narrow view on what firearm they should use in situations.  Sort of.  It's gotta be an AR carbine and a G19 or your dumb and hate your family and are going to die, you idiot.  

A shotgun is not foolish. Buckshot and slugs rip people up pretty badly unless you miss and shoot a wall. But 20mm Vulcan has that same problem, TBH. You can hit targets with rifled slugs reliably at extended range. Would I take one as a SHTF weapon? No. Would I use one as a home defense weapon? Absolutely.

its amazing that SWAT/SRT teams haven't figured this out. Because in the vast majority of swat teams the sg is not their first choice or go to weapon when clearing a house. It's main purpose is to breach the door. Or for less lethal rounds. I could be wrong but from the teams I have seen or worked with the sg was not their go to weapon.

I'm not clearing some strange house where I've never been, in the dark not knowing the room layout, furniture location, bedrooms and occupants.  I am defending my home where I know every square inch and who or what is where.  My objective is purely defensive.  I have huge advantages.  A semi auto shotgun with weapon light and 10 rounds of 9 pellet 00 buck grouping in a fist size pattern at home defense distances makes a lot of sense to me.  And it would to the DA and jury (and black gun averse media) after the fact when I had to explain how I responded with lethal force to a home invasion at 3 a.m.

You're assuming things are predictable. You may know your home but you won't know the situation...the number of bad guys and what weapons they have.  A Bad guy w ak in a home will be more effective then any good guy defending his home alone w a sg. U have the advantage of knowing the area but don't have the weapon advantage. It's better to have both. If I were the bad guy determined to kill u or your family I'd use a krink w 75 round drum filled with 762x39 German AP ammo. Sg versus sa or fa rifle is no match. Or take my OSW w 30 or 50 rds of 308. Walls won't be much of an issue.  a sg harder to reload and has less rounds. So even if a sg is effective it's still not as effective as a sa rifle.

As far as legal issues go aiding think shooting a thug in your home is going to win a legal battle no matter what weapon u use.

I'll take the odds that a home invasion will not have bad guys toting the armament you describe.  Bad guys want your stuff and want to be able to carry it out.  There is a 99% statistical certainty they will have only handguns and not wearing body armor. The others will have a stolen AR or AK they have little familiarity with.  My superior knowledge of terrain and location of friendlies and limited defensive objectives make the sa tactical shotgun with extended mag and momentary on weapon light a reasonable choice in that environment.

Yes, weapon choice has often made a difference in the eyes of some prosecutors and juries as to whether your action was justified.  It should not, but does.

I do want my ARs for other scenarios, but the shotgun in this limited HD instance.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes, weapon choice has often made a difference in the eyes of some prosecutors and juries as to whether your action was justified. It should not, but does.
View Quote

I wonder if that only applies in civil cases?  I'd imagine of you could prove it was self defense, the state would care little about weapon and ammo type used.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Suppressed SBR 300 blackout
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
But it isn't as effective....
View Quote

I have seen firsthand, IRL, the results of humans being shot by 12 ga slugs and '00' buckshot.  I have seen plenty of humans shot by .223 as well.

The gauge is more effective.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have seen firsthand, IRL, the results of humans being shot by 12 ga slugs and '00' buckshot.  I have seen plenty of humans shot by .223 as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I thought it was common knowledge that wounds from a 12 gauge of proper ammunition (slug, 00, 0, or even 1 and possibly 4 buck) are going to be more devastating than a 5.56 wound.  I will say the TSX's are looking pretty promising, but still.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I started out with an sks because it was all I could afford at the time. Then I got a $300 AK and that was my go to for a long time.

Now it's a suppressed SBR ar15 556. I still like having the AK with a 75 round drum but generally if I have time to get a rifle the suppressed SBR is coming out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#25]
My current home defense rifle is a Krebs Custom AK103K with ACOG and surefire x300u loaded with Federal Fusion. I picked up a SCAR 17 over the summer that may take the place of the Krebs as my home defense rifle. I currently don't own any rifles in 5.56 and haven't had any in that caliber in about five years.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:02:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah, I thought it was common knowledge that wounds from a 12 gauge of proper ammunition (slug, 00, 0, or even 1 and possibly 4 buck) are going to be more devastating than a 5.56 wound.  I will say the TSX's are looking pretty promising, but still.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I have seen a lot more wounds myself. But it's not just about the wound it makes. It's also about being able to send more rounds down range effectively. Being able to move in tight places etc.  with a rifle I could send many more rounds down range and in general it's shorter and easier to move with. And I wasn't just talking about 556. For the home I think a Krink with folding stock in 762x39 and a 75 rd drum would be shorter, more mobile and more effective than a Sg. And there are many more rifles that would also be better than a sg for a home.

As far as SHTF scenario you can't beat a good common reliable rifle
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:16:43 AM EDT
[#27]
But it's not just about the wound it makes. It's also about being able to send more rounds down range effectively.
View Quote

Rounds downrange that don't connect are wasted rounds. The wounds that rounds make do make the difference, CNS wounds are the most effective.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#28]
CNS hits are the best!
My 24/7 go-to is my 9mm P226 (which I also carry on duty every day). It's just to fight my way to a long gun if the shooting continues, or I'll deploy the long gun first, if time permits. Usually that's a MK18, but I also have a SG 551 available. Of course both are 5.56. We're about to have a few M14 rifles to setup, and I'm planning to shorten the barrel on mine to 18" but it'll still be a somewhat specialty weapon, as the 5.56 carbines are much handier, especially indoors.

At home I've got all sorts of long guns to defend my family with, so I might grab a 7.62x39 or .308 or whatever, just depending on what I hear. I do have more 5.56 long guns than other calibers.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:16:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Here you go, this can be you....  

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

And I have seen a lot more wounds myself. But it's not just about the wound it makes. It's also about being able to send more rounds down range effectively. Being able to move in tight places etc.  with a rifle I could send many more rounds down range and in general it's shorter and easier to move with. And I wasn't just talking about 556. For the home I think a Krink with folding stock in 762x39 and a 75 rd drum would be shorter, more mobile and more effective than a Sg. And there are many more rifles that would also be better than a sg for a home.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you are arguing is efficiency.  I agree that when you list the attributes of the shotty and the rifle, and stack them up, the rifle comes out more efficient.  When you look at the purpose of a firearm, that is, to cause damage or injury via a ballistic projectile, the shotty is more effective.  The rifle has an effectiveness that is well within acceptable parameters for the intended use, and its additional attributes make it a more efficient means of achieving the user's objectives.

By contrast, an M82 would be more effective than a 12 gauge (for personal defense), but far less efficient.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#31]

lol

I loved that photo in a book about SEALs I had as a kid. I've always been somewhat enamored with the M14. It's a true "rifleman's rifle".

I'm thinking more like this one though:

It's heavier, of course, but I don't really have to lug it around much, which is good because I'm lazy.

The shotgun is more effective at close range per unarmored guy. Its transition speed from target-to-target is usually a little slower. When you throw armor onto the targets, the rifle becomes more effective. No matter how effective it is, when the mag's empty and there are more bad guys around, you've got problems only reloading can solve. Rifles can be reloaded quicker, and usually less frequently. That's why they're overall more efficient than everything else. Actually short carbines are, because they can fulfill the CQB role adequately while still remaining effective at long range.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 2:48:43 AM EDT
[#32]
7.62x39 for me
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Showing a bunch of pics of guys using Shotguns, does not make them great..GI's can do stupid shit and make poor choices, and live to tell the tale, as they have lots of back up.

Personally, I have little use for them, They are great for bird hunting, the occasional need to breech a door and the occasional round of sporting clay's, that's about it...
I find them heavy on recoil, The ammo is heavy and bulky and takes up a lot of space, the capacity is low and difficult to reload under any little bit of stress. They are not the room clearing sweeper Hollywood would have you believe and the rate of fire is slow.

My opinion. I will most likely never need to defend me and my family from a home invasion/break in.. but if I do,I'll get one chance at it to get it right... I want the best tool for that job... a Shot gun is not it for me.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top