Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2016 1:30:14 AM EDT
Just curious about how many of you whose go-to rifle for home defense, ranch defense, shtf tactical, duty or otherwise rifles are not 5.56/.223 caliber?
Obviously 5.56/.223 is king and is immensely popular for most of the aforementioned  purposes but just wanted to see how many alternative calibers are out there as people's primary. My primaries are in 7.62x39 and 6.8spc, I have no 5.56 rifles.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Before I came into possession of my ARs, my go to was a Bulgarian AK in 5.45x39mm backed up by about 2k rounds of surplus ammo and a few hundred Hornady V-Max. However I sold it in favor of more common platforms and ammo.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#2]
.308...or 5.56 or X39
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine's an M1 Garand or SKS. So 30-06 or 7.62x39. Because CA.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#4]
5.56 is my go-to, but it could just as easily be .308 or 7.62x39 since I am well equipped/stocked for those as well.  I would be fine with any of the 3.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine's an M1 Garand or SKS. So 30-06 or 7.62x39. Because CA.
View Quote

How are you liking the SKS?  How much does yours weigh?  My eternal question.  LOL.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#6]
The rifle next to my bed is 300 blackout. Only because it wears a can and I like my hearing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I love my SKSs. But I'm not tacticool by nature, so they work well for me.  Especially at $350.

IDK how much they weigh, but the weight has never bothered me. Definitely more than a basic AR, but it makes for a soft shooting gun.

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#8]
7.5x55
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#9]
5.56 is always on-hand, but I might have a .308 rifle out of the safe and leaning in the corner of the bedroom.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#10]
No 556 rifles at all seems almost irresponsible based on it's immense popularity. I can absolutely understand it not being your go-to

My go to is 556 but I'll transition to 300blk when my Sandman-S is approved
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#11]
No 556 rifles at all seems almost irresponsible based on it's immense popularity. I can absolutely understand it not being your go-to
View Quote

Not quite sure how to take this........
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'll break it down for you

Quoted:
No 556 rifles at all seems almost irresponsible based on it's immense popularity.

It's not 5.56's popularity you should be concerned with, but its ubiquity: 5.56 is everywhere, has dozens and dozens of different loadings for any conceivable use, and you're likely to find it, a gun that uses it, and/or a gun that shares its (STANAG) magazines no matter where you go.

Quoted:
I can absolutely understand it not being your go-to

There are still .30 caliber obsessives who pooh pooh the wounding potential of 5.56. Those people are what we call idiots.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#13]
OP's question is carefully worded. It is limited to "rifle."  For rifle, my answer is 5.56 carbine.

But that is NOT my primary go-to for home defense.  That is a Remington 1100 tactical 12 gauge shotgun with iron sights, extended magazine stuffed full of FliteControl 00B, and with a mounted weapon light.

Not trying to start that debate, merely pointing out that the question is limited and that it would exclude the primary in-home defense weapon for many of us.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View Quote

There are still .30 caliber obsessives who pooh pooh the wounding potential of 5.56. Those people are what we call idiots.
View Quote

Oh, so people who disagree with 5.56 as their primary are idiots.......

is that the same as a neck-beard?
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#15]
My goto is a 12ga.

Fits a variety of uses for me.   7 1/2 for yard vermin to OO and slugs for larger yard vermin.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not what he's saying.

He's saying those who crap on 5.56 because they think it's ballistics/wounding potential suck, are idiots...and he is correct.

Nowhere did he say "anyone who didn't choose a 5.56 rifle is an idiot."
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#17]
...pooh pooh the wounding potential of 5.56. Those people are what we call idiots.
View Quote

It is implied
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#18]
The rifle next to my bed is a SIG 556R.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It is implied
View All Quotes
Quoted:
...pooh pooh the wounding potential of 5.56. Those people are what we call idiots.

It is implied

It's not implied at all. You can choose an AK in 7.62 for your primary rifle if you want, despite the fact that 5.56 loadings are far more diverse and have superior external and terminal ballistics. You can do that if you want. That's fine.

Bigger bullet != better  

The .30 caliber camp (much like the .45ACP vs 9mm camp) is vehemently on the side of bigger bullet = better, which is patently untrue.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#20]
5.56 for travel duties and 9mm subgun for HD.  

ONce I can afford a 300 BO upper and a can it will become a go to.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#21]
You can choose an AK in 7.62 for your primary rifle if you want, despite the fact that 5.56 loadings are far more diverse and have superior external and terminal ballistics. You can do that if you want. That's fine.
View Quote

Compared to current 7.62x39 options in certain situations, sure. Compared to alternative caliber options, not so much, 5.56 is easily outclassed, especially when barrel lengths start being reduced. IMO the only thing it has going for it is it's availability, which counts for alot, but doesn't make it the more terminally effective choice.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 1:00:00 AM EDT
[#22]
My primary go to is a 12.5 in barreled 308 "pistol". Picked up the complete upper from KAK Industries called a McClane. That upper comes in a 10.5 inch barrel. When KAK had a sale on 12.5 inch barrels, had them swap out the barrels. Awesome setup, good in close quarters, and can reach out and touch someone with the 168 A-max rounds I reload for it. Yeah, a 5.56 is lighter but like the firepower this setup produces. Get whatever you comfortable with to protect yourself and family when needed. Just be accurate with it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Take it as he doesn't like people who are different.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Bedside is 12 gauge '00' buck, since I don't have any cans and I've experienced enough indoor rifle fire to know I don't like it.

Anything and everything outdoors is 7.62 NATO.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I have several options to choose from but my travel gun is a 5.56 Tavor but I have three more 5.56 AR's close at hand.  My 16" 1:9 twist has an E O Tech, my 16" 1:7 has a Stike Eagle 1-6 and my Colt H-Bar has a 2.5-10 scope.  I also have a couple of 6.5 Grendel AR-15's, a 16" and a 20" plus a Remington Sportsman 12 modified by Sage Int.  All but the 20" 6.5 Grendel are equipped with illuminated optics or tritium sights and a Tactical Light.   I grab which ever seems moat appropriate for the task at hand.    
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#27]
No rifle, only my shotgun for ammo choice and my Dirty Harry .357 for backup. Makes the enemy more dead.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 11:09:53 PM EDT
[#28]
My primary rifles are in 556 and 308 or 762x39 depending on the environment.
Piston AR if I can only take one
If I have a choice I'd take my AR in the warm months and my paraFAL or maybe my AK in cold months.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's not implied at all. You can choose an AK in 7.62 for your primary rifle if you want, despite the fact that 5.56 loadings are far more diverse and have superior external and terminal ballistics. You can do that if you want. That's fine.

Bigger bullet != better  

The .30 caliber camp (much like the .45ACP vs 9mm camp) is vehemently on the side of bigger bullet = better, which is patently untrue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is implied

Bigger bullet != better  

This is news to me.  I guess I'm not up on the latest terminal ballistics.  But that seems like a stretch.  Are you taking like the best performing bullets from either caliber?  I mean, sure, a TSX probably does better than an FMJ 7.62x39 but aren't there some good choices in the caliber?  Plus isn't 7.62 x 39 better through barriers?  

I'm not really arguing for it, just wanting to understand the truth of it.  I guess I gotta do some brushing up.    And I'll just say this, as far as the bigger is better, I'm not really a guy that's super into that.  I like soft recoiling guns best, but I'm pretty sure a 155 grain Vmax from a .308 pretty much smokes anything in 5.56.  But maybe that's outdated too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 11:29:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just curious about how many of you whose go-to rifle for home defense, ranch defense, shtf tactical, duty or otherwise rifles are not 5.56/.223 caliber?
Obviously 5.56/.223 is king and is immensely popular for most of the aforementioned  purposes but just wanted to see how many alternative calibers are out there as people's primary. My primaries are in 7.62x39 and 6.8spc, I have no 5.56 rifles.
View Quote

Using a 12ga as a primary weapon for this question is foolish.  It's very limiting. For home defense I use my pistol since it's easier to maneuver in the tight spaces of a home. Even in my 4100 SF home (not including the garage and loft above it)there are too many tight spaces for a long gun.  However I'd take my SBR AR if the threat was more significant..  Even the swat teams I have worked w don't use sg for much other than breaching the door hinge.
Then there is the limited range of a sg and limited use of a sg    Most people in a SHTF or tactical or ranch scenario will be using a AR AK other semi/fa rifle. A sg will put u at a huge disadvantage if faced with a person or group w rifles.

Common rifle ammo and parts are very important.  Reliability versatility and the ease of fixing a weapon will also be important. With this in mind, I would stick w an ar in 556. Ak in 762 andor FAL ar10 m14 in 308

For me it's either one of my piston ARs 556 or my DSA OSW 308
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 12:25:32 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm ok with whatever people choose, it's their prerogative and everyone has their opinions that's cool.
I was curious to see how many don't consider the 5.56/.223 as their primary.
It's easy to jump on the latest bandwagons and just go with it, less time and energy spent on figuring things out for yourself.
As the more I grew and learned in firearms and calibers it helped me choose 6.8 over 5.56/.223.
If I didn't already have 7.62x39 when 6.8 came out I probably wouldn't have 7.62x39.
I personally never liked 5.56 I don't have a use for it. I can do everything and much more with 6.8 including hunting larger game animals and shooting through barriers the 5.56 cannot penetrate with the same consistency and do it using a shorter barrel. I've stockpiled ammo for it when I could so that isn't a concern for me.
To each their own, if s ever htf, I will feel alot more confident in the 6.8's superior effectiveness.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Now a shotgun is foolish?  Wow.  Well, I guess I wouldn't necessarily like it for anything past 25 yards.  OR maybe 35.  But I think it depends on the person and set up.  Slugs in the right gun can go pretty far.  And I would think it makes a great HD gun.  

I think people have a tenancy to take a sort of narrow view on what firearm they should use in situations.  Sort of.  It's gotta be an AR carbine and a G19 or your dumb and hate your family and are going to die, you idiot.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#33]
6.8 is a good round but over time ammo will be used up.  And what if u lost your 6.8 ammo in an accident? It would be harder to find replacement ammo.  So in any SHTF scenario it's better to have a common weapon and caliber.  And a durable weapon that is easy to work on. Also if u were with others and needed a more ammo you would be able to use their mags n ammo.  223 is good enough for hunting and defense. Shoot a deer or larger animal in the right place and it will go down.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 11:24:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Now a shotgun is foolish?  Wow.  Well, I guess I wouldn't necessarily like it for anything past 25 yards.  OR maybe 35.  But I think it depends on the person and set up.  Slugs in the right gun can go pretty far.  And I would think it makes a great HD gun.  

I think people have a tenancy to take a sort of narrow view on what firearm they should use in situations.  Sort of.  It's gotta be an AR carbine and a G19 or your dumb and hate your family and are going to die, you idiot.  
View Quote

If u only had one weapon to go to and u picked a sg over an AR or AK or other sa rifle u would be limited. It's that simple.  Limited in range. Limited in defense.  
In a SHTF scenario u don't know what will happen    So it is important to pick a weapon that has more versatility. And that definitely is not a Sg. The only advantage I see to a sg is that u can hunt smaller game or birds better.  Maybe I'm wrong but until I hear a sound reason to have a sg over quality common and reliable sa rifle I will still believe it's foolish to take a sg as a primary weapon in a SHTF weapon or go to weapon. I don't know of anyone I have met with real world experience that would consider sg as primary
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 2:35:45 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a 5.56 rifle and I love it. The highest rifle on my wishlist is also a 5.56.

That being said, if it's my life on the line, I'm grabbing the M4 Super90 (12-gauge) if someone's in my home, or the LE901 (.308) for all other scenarios or if I can't grab the shotgun for close range. If SHTF, well, that's the beauty of the 901. If I'm running out of .308, I shoot someone with a 5.56 mil-spec AR, take his upper and ammo, and now I can shoot 5.56 out of it too.

Being serious, though, I don't see the advantage of 5.56 over .308 except for weight and price, and as long as I'm defending my position and not humping it cross country, then weight isn't an issue.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 9:57:23 AM EDT
[#36]
I live in a very open area out in the sticks. My "back door" gun was a 308 G3 for many years. I use an AR now but didn't change for any reason other than convenience. I think your ability to hit the target is a more important than what happens once it's hit. I think most anything that gets hit with a high velocity rifle round is going to die or make a new plan. Why these thread always devolve into caliber bickering is beyond me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Agree caliber is just one part of it but u do want one that's common and effective
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#38]
I change it up from time to time but AK's x39 work well for HD use, good at always going bang and I shoot AK's a lot as well so i'm comfortable with them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

A shotgun is not foolish. Buckshot and slugs rip people up pretty badly unless you miss and shoot a wall. But 20mm Vulcan has that same problem, TBH. You can hit targets with rifled slugs reliably at extended range. Would I take one as a SHTF weapon? No. Would I use one as a home defense weapon? Absolutely.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A shotgun is not foolish. Buckshot and slugs rip people up pretty badly unless you miss and shoot a wall. But 20mm Vulcan has that same problem, TBH. You can hit targets with rifled slugs reliably at extended range. Would I take one as a SHTF weapon? No. Would I use one as a home defense weapon? Absolutely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

its amazing that SWAT/SRT teams haven't figured this out. Because in the vast majority of swat teams the sg is not their first choice or go to weapon when clearing a house. It's main purpose is to breach the door. Or for less lethal rounds. I could be wrong but from the teams I have seen or worked with the sg was not their go to weapon.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

its amazing that SWAT/SRT teams haven't figured this out. Because in the vast majority of swat teams the sg is not their first choice or go to weapon when clearing a house. It's main purpose is to breach the door. Or for less lethal rounds. I could be wrong but from the teams I have seen or worked with the sg was not their go to weapon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know, maybe it doesn't quite fit what they want to do with the weapon? I can understand it. Without a lot of practice a shotgun doesn't quite have the same follow-up shot ability, nor does it have the capacity of a rifle. I can see how if you're pushing on a position held by potentially multiple armed assailants with multiple people backing you up, controllability and capacity would be more valued than sheer per-shot wounding capability. That's a little different a setup than homeowner fighting a home invader.

For my money though, just based on GSWs I've seen and descriptions of ones I haven't seen from the ME where I used to live previously, well I wouldn't volunteer to get shot by anything. But if someone was going to shoot me and I HAD to pick one to get hit by, I'd try my luck with 5.56 and any pistol caliber over buck or a slug all day long. Wounds from those are straight up massive and disgusting. A slug wound COM in the chest looked like some of the deer kill photos guys post on here.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I don't know, maybe it doesn't quite fit what they want to do with the weapon? I can understand it. Without a lot of practice a shotgun doesn't quite have the same follow-up shot ability, nor does it have the capacity of a rifle. I can see how if you're pushing on a position held by potentially multiple armed assailants with multiple people backing you up, controllability and capacity would be more valued than sheer per-shot wounding capability. That's a little different a setup than homeowner fighting a home invader.

For my money though, just based on GSWs I've seen and descriptions of ones I haven't seen from the ME where I used to live previously, well I wouldn't volunteer to get shot by anything. But if someone was going to shoot me and I HAD to pick one to get hit by, I'd try my luck with 5.56 and any pistol caliber over buck or a slug all day long. Wounds from those are straight up massive and disgusting. A slug wound COM in the chest looked like some of the deer kill photos guys post on here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The caliber of a weapon isn't the most important thing. there are many factors when it comes to Home protection and SHTF  And it's silly that people think they know how a scenario is going to go down and prepare for it that way instead of preparing for the worst or an unpredictable scenario. In any situation its offen that u will not know the number of bad guys or what weapons they will have or what they will do or where they will go. So to limit yourself w a sg to me is foolish. Will a sg do the job....yes   Are ther better options .... Yes    

A DSA OSW is 2 ft long and gives me 30 rds of 308  
A krink in 762x39 with 30 40 75 rds is short and good round
An SBR AR15 in 223 or 6.8 is shorter and better than a sg
A sg is longer and has less rounds. It's harder to reload too. Even a semi sg would not be as good
So  an a sg do the job yes. But it's a foolish choice when u can have a better weapon. That all I'm saying.
And if u ask the ones with experience the majority of them will take many other weapons over a sg
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#43]
I have a 6.8 AR.  I really like the round, and plan on using it to hunt during deer season.  

However, the rifle I have chosen for primary defensive purposes is 5.56.  The reason is, as others have stated, ubiquity.  I have been able to stockpile a significant amount of quality 5.56 ammunition far cheaper than I could any other rifle caliber.  I can practice with my 5.56 AR on the cheap.  

If I had to choose a caliber other than 5.56 I would go with 7.62x39, for the same reason as above.  Cheap and plentiful ammunition.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#44]
I would always grab my 5.56 SBR first but if I ever needed something with better range and power I have a DMR 308 AR setup im working on right now. Its too heavy and cumbersome to carry around like a carbine but setup in a second story window and you could watch over your entire neighborhood.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not clearing some strange house where I've never been, in the dark not knowing the room layout, furniture location, bedrooms and occupants.  I am defending my home where I know every square inch and who or what is where.  My objective is purely defensive.  I have huge advantages.  A semi auto shotgun with weapon light and 10 rounds of 9 pellet 00 buck grouping in a fist size pattern at home defense distances makes a lot of sense to me.  And it would to the DA and jury (and black gun averse media) after the fact when I had to explain how I responded with lethal force to a home invasion at 3 a.m.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 6:25:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

MET-T you get into airizona wyoming o montana I wouldn't laugh at somebody using a 300 win mag or 50 bmg as a go to.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#47]
wouldn't even be in my top five.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm not clearing some strange house where I've never been, in the dark not knowing the room layout, furniture location, bedrooms and occupants.  I am defending my home where I know every square inch and who or what is where.  My objective is purely defensive.  I have huge advantages.  A semi auto shotgun with weapon light and 10 rounds of 9 pellet 00 buck grouping in a fist size pattern at home defense distances makes a lot of sense to me.  And it would to the DA and jury (and black gun averse media) after the fact when I had to explain how I responded with lethal force to a home invasion at 3 a.m.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're assuming things are predictable. You may know your home but you won't know the situation...the number of bad guys and what weapons they have.  A Bad guy w ak in a home will be more effective then any good guy defending his home alone w a sg. U have the advantage of knowing the area but don't have the weapon advantage. It's better to have both. If I were the bad guy determined to kill u or your family I'd use a krink w 75 round drum filled with 762x39 German AP ammo. Sg versus sa or fa rifle is no match. Or take my OSW w 30 or 50 rds of 308. Walls won't be much of an issue.  a sg harder to reload and has less rounds. So even if a sg is effective it's still not as effective as a sa rifle.

As far as legal issues go aiding think shooting a thug in your home is going to win a legal battle no matter what weapon u use.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally it was a 16 gauge gifted to me, then a leveraction 30/30, then a 12 gauage, then 7.62x39 and then I finally saw the light.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You're assuming things are predictable. You may know your home but you won't know the situation...the number of bad guys and what weapons they have.  A Bad guy w ak in a home will be more effective then any good guy defending his home alone w a sg. U have the advantage of knowing the area but don't have the weapon advantage. It's better to have both. If I were the bad guy determined to kill u or your family I'd use a krink w 75 round drum filled with 762x39 German AP ammo. Sg versus sa or fa rifle is no match. Or take my OSW w 30 or 50 rds of 308. Walls won't be much of an issue.  a sg harder to reload and has less rounds. So even if a sg is effective it's still not as effective as a sa rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Don't really agree with this. The whole point is you're not fighting at a distance or with any backup. Every shot in a close range fight is a gamble that you'll hit something vital enough to stop your opponent in his tracks, and not have him wounded and bleeding out two minutes later which might not be a problem downrange but is a problem when he's a few feet away. You don't have a SWAT team to cover your back or deliver follow-up shots or make sure your target goes down and stays down. This is why I like 12-gauge slug/buck or lightweight .308 for home defense. A shotgun, you're causing massive trauma and thus rapid blood loss one spot with a slug, or getting a nice fist-sized or larger chance at hitting vitals with buck. Or in the case of .308, causing massive trauma at the point of impact and again, quick results.

You can see this on animals if you've been hunting. All three of those rounds have an extremely high instance of dropping your target on the spot. I would feel far safer as a lone person fighting unknowns in a known environment with any of those three options than with a pistol or AK. Not that I'd turn one down if that's what was on-hand, but they definitely wouldn't be first preference.

Besides, they may not be popular with SWAT teams, but the Marines seemed to be pretty happy with how well the M1014 performed for building clears, and IMO combat is a closer environment to home defense than a police raid. You're not trying to make arrests of potentially armed suspects. You're trying to kill someone who is trying to kill you where the first shot with the worst wound usually wins. If it works in that environment, I'm pretty sure it's good enough for my home. Especially if I stay practiced with it.

Quoted:
As far as legal issues go aiding think shooting a thug in your home is going to win a legal battle no matter what weapon u use.

Do agree with this though. I have never heard of a jury frowning upon using a rifle instead of a shotgun or pistol for him defense. Use what you've got. Even if they did frown on it, judged by 12 versus carried by 6 and all that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top