Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2016 9:37:58 PM EDT
My beloved AAC is having misfires. Seems to have happened since I installed the H&R Hammer extension. I am not sure if it is slowing the hammer down just enough or what's happening.

About 1 out of 5 rounds will fail to fire. Usually if you flip the cartridge 180 degrees and hit it again so the firing pin hits in another location it will then fire. I gave only had problems with Remington ammo, but I haven't tried anything else since I noticed the problem a few weeks ago. I shoot Remington Hog Hammer 130s and Remington 120 OTB UMC ammo. The gun is super handy with the compact 2-7x28 Burris, but I need it to go off, other wise I may as well have my Knight .50

I like the single shot for its simplicity and compactness, I just wish they build these with ejectors instead of extractors.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#2]
No contact with the scope. I got a part number for one that weighs about half as much.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Let us know if the lighter one helps.

Interestingly ... you are not alone.

https://www.google.com/search?q=H%26R+Hammer+extension+misfires
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No contact with the scope. I got a part number for one that weighs about half as much.

I loathe hammer extensions, unfortunately I can't get away from one with a magnified optic on this rifle. Have two different buddies with the same gun and they run red dots on them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:39:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Old HR extension weighed 9 grams. New aluminum one I found on e gun parts weighs 3. Does not have quite as good of fit, but it looks like it will do the job.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#6]
My H and R 45/70 also did this.  Apparently its a known issue with these rifles with no certain fix.  Mine has been to three gunsmiths to play with and see if they can fix it.  It has something to do with the firing pin block not dropping completely.  Its very frustrating that a simple firearm cant be fixed
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Haven't been out to test it since I got the new extension on. I will report back. They are great little guns, but quality control must have got pretty sloppy in the last 10 years or so.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#8]
My .357 Mag Handi Rifle runs fine with the hammer extension.   No problems with factory or handloaded 38 specials or .357 mags.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I loathe hammer extensions, unfortunately I can't get away from one with a magnified optic on this rifle. Have two different buddies with the same gun and they run red dots on them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I put a SWFA 1-6x on mine and it has plenty of room for the hammer
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:00:31 AM EDT
[#10]
these guns are also known for not liking military or other hard primers
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

can you post a pic of your setup?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Octane 9 on the end with a SWFA SS 1-6x with quick detach alamo four start mount.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top