Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2016 9:27:31 AM EDT
Got a new 10/22 in stainless. Seeing how a gun oil is not really needed to stave off rust on the exterior and oils inside the internal workings can act like fly paper to carbon from shooting I wonder if graphite would actually be a better long term lubricant.

I recall when I first got a Glock pistol my mindset in gun care came from a life of blued carbon steel. Oiled the crap out of it until I learned  they require very little lubrication.  Oil in a Glock strike channel is probably a real no no.

Anyone every graphite their SS guns?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Got a new 10/22 in stainless. Seeing how a gun oil is not really needed to stave off rust on the exterior and oils inside the internal workings can act like fly paper to carbon from shooting I wonder if graphite would actually be a better long term lubricant.

I recall when I first got a Glock pistol my mindset in gun care came from a life of blued carbon steel. Oiled the crap out of it until I learned  they require very little lubrication.  Oil in a Glock strike channel is probably a real no no.

Anyone every graphite their SS guns?
View Quote

Stainless tends to like to stick to itself ( this is a generalization, there is more to it than this but in the interests of brevity....) so it is actually MORE important to lube a stainless gun.  Too, not all stainless steels are created equal.  Stainless is neither rust free NOR stainless....it is just just less likely to rust or stain than carbon steel.  Also, the receiver of your 10/22 is aluminum so you WANT a lubrication barrier between the steel and aluminum parts.

A good PTFE containing lube like Break Free or Tetra is ideal for stainless guns.  Either PTFE containing grease or white lithium grease is good for areas that need grease.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Who said stainless steel guns don't rust ? Maybe not as easily but they do rust for sure.

Stainless has a tendency to gall and years ago it was a huge problem, and while we are past that I would use conventional lube over Graphite. Not a big money gun so you can give it a try and see where it leads.My stainless guns get lubed with gun oil.

As the saying goes"A little dab will do you" no need to drown the gun with lube, so carbon should not be a problem if you preform preventive maintenance on you rifle.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Graphite is known to cause damage to aluminum, at least when used to grease barrel nuts on AR rifles.
Whether it will damage a Ruger 10/22 receiver I don't know but why risk it.

Gun shops are full of great gun lubes that won't harm a gun.
Common CLP Breakfree or a good grease will work very well.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#4]
It is pretty popular to use `dry lube' on a cleaned and degreased 10-22 such as liquid wrench spray.

I have tried it and while it did work I just went back to using oil  with a very lite coating.

I have had a stainless 10-22 barrel rust so be sure to wipe it down from time to time.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:16:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys for the replies.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:11:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Graphite will cake up and gum up actions.

Put a little in a lock key way and it will help pins move easier. Put a bunch of graphite in and you might not be able to get the key all the way in after a bit.

Not to mention the mess. Definitely don't want to carry anything with graphite on it.

Stick to oil and grease. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I use 30w Mobil 1 synthetic oil for all my firearms, the carbon cutting detergents make cleanup easy, and its cheaper than "special" firearms lubricants

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Graphite will cake up and gum up actions.

Put a little in a lock key way and it will help pins move easier. Put a bunch of graphite in and you might not be able to get the key all the way in after a bit.

Not to mention the mess. Definitely don't want to carry anything with graphite on it.

Stick to oil and grease. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.
View Quote

Sage advice. No need for graphite when regular oil or grease will do the job.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Graphite is reactive with aluminum. It will cause corrosion.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#10]
On my second 10/22 i used Gunk brand lube with teflon, and over time it let a nice film over the bolt and inside the receiver.  Made it easier to clean for sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top