Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2016 6:18:53 PM EDT
I sold a .22 rifle over the winter and used FedEx.  And when looking into it, I thought I remembered that you could use them to ship pistols, as long as it goes to an FFL.  Anybody know if we can still do this?  I'm assuming we still don't need to go FFL to FFL.  Eh?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#2]
yes
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Good.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#4]
yes, handguns go overnite.

Bruce
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#5]
If you send them in the handgun case, do you guys put them in a box too?  OR wrap a bunch of tape around it?  I'm curious if they get secured somehow.  Obviously you can pay for insurance but it seems like it would be so easy to do the 5 finger discount in transit and not sure if gun boxes are typically just sent the way they are or with extra security......
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you send them in the handgun case, do you guys put them in a box too?  OR wrap a bunch of tape around it?  I'm curious if they get secured somehow.  Obviously you can pay for insurance but it seems like it would be so easy to do the 5 finger discount in transit and not sure if gun boxes are typically just sent the way they are or with extra security......
View Quote

Get a box from FedEx that will accept the handgun in it's case. Pack securely and insure for full value.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, that sounds like the best idea.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Get a box from FedEx that will accept the handgun in it's case. Pack securely and insure for full value.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My local FEDEX location will only insure for more than $300 if they pack it themselves.  Based on that change, I've switched to using a local FFL to ship stuff as trying to explain to the average FEDEX employee what I'm doing is legal was more effort than it was worth...

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My local FEDEX location will only insure for more than $300 if they pack it themselves.  Based on that change, I've switched to using a local FFL to ship stuff as trying to explain to the average FEDEX employee what I'm doing is legal was more effort than it was worth...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never had that happen. Wonder if it's policy or an issue with your local office?  I have a FedEx account so I enter all the shipping info myself. I'm an FFL too and for us it's easy and generally cheaper to use USPS.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#10]
My USPS was full retard when I tried to ship a .22 rifle.  The local FedEx was almost as bad, but it worked out.   They wanted to charge me handgun prices for it, but the dude eventually saw the light and I shipped it normal.  I figured there would be less hassle with a handgun, because it will be the bigger charge.  We'll see how it goes if I sell this one.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#11]
You should be shipping rifles via USPS.  Much cheaper.  I do.

I ship pistols via FedEx express.  F overnight.  No one I buy from ever ships overnight to me.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#12]
My USPS claimed they couldn't.  Even though I showed them from their own website that they could.  They still gave me the run around.  

Fedex express.  OK, I'm glad I got the right class of shipment.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Rifles can be shipped at the post office unless things have changed in the last year.  I have shipped ARs and AKs with no problem.  Pistols are aggravating and expensive to ship unless your an FFL.  If you have a pistol your thinking about selling/shipping, try a local pawn shop.  Before I completely decided on what I wanted, I went through several makes and models.  I sold the ones I didn't want locally and was only charged 10% of the sell price. 2 pistols sold in a month and the third took 6 months. That wasn't bad for no stress.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 5:15:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not sure what the deal is.  But it seems like everyone else in the world has smart gun shippers but I don't.  My Fedex required me to ship a handgun overnight.  So it basically doubled my cost of shipping and I ate the 60 bucks.  They said if the FFL I'm shipping to had given me a label, then it could go standard.  I'm like WTF????  I tried to argue with them about it but I just paid the extra money.  I probably should've done the smart thing and waited, but I was impatient and just paid the extra money.  

I'm not sure how to get the people in my neck of the woods to be smart about this stuff.  My post office wouldn't ship a stupid .22 rifle, and my FedEx seems to not be up on what it takes to ship a handgun.  Unless they are correct and I SHOULD have had a pre made label.  Anybody know?
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Nevermind deleted post
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'm not sure what the deal is.  But it seems like everyone else in the world has smart gun shippers but I don't.  My Fedex required me to ship a handgun overnight.  So it basically doubled my cost of shipping and I ate the 60 bucks.  They said if the FFL I'm shipping to had given me a label, then it could go standard.  I'm like WTF????  I tried to argue with them about it but I just paid the extra money.  I probably should've done the smart thing and waited, but I was impatient and just paid the extra money.  

I'm not sure how to get the people in my neck of the woods to be smart about this stuff.  My post office wouldn't ship a stupid .22 rifle, and my FedEx seems to not be up on what it takes to ship a handgun.  Unless they are correct and I SHOULD have had a pre made label.  Anybody know?
View Quote

They were correct.  FedEx and UPS policy for accepting handguns from non-FFL holders is that they must be shipped next-day air.  Several posters pointed this out earlier in the thread.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#17]
How did I miss that?  Ugh.  Is it always 120 bucks or does it depend on where it's going?  So the manufactures must have a better deal with the shippers.  They made it sound like if I had a pre made label, it didn't have to go overnight.   Hmmmmmm.....  

It almost doesn't pay to ship a handgun.  Crazy expensive.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Find a friendly FFL with low transfer fees who will ship handguns for you. FFL's can ship handguns USPS and it is MUCH cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Find a friendly FFL with low transfer fees who will ship handguns for you. FFL's can ship handguns USPS and it is MUCH cheaper.
View Quote

Thank you.  I think a buddy might know a guy.  I'll call my LGS and see how much they charge too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top