Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2016 4:53:16 PM EDT
Whats the best (safest) way to remove a painted finish from a rifle, including polymer stock (AICS) and metal parts (barrel, scope, mags) ? I basically want to return it to the factory black so I can have it redone a more geographic appropriate color scheme. Idont have access to any sort of media blaster. I was thinking a chemical stripper but I dont know what it would do the stock.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#1]
If its non-hardener type paint I would start with Mineral Sprits first. That should be able to remove stuff like Krylon and  others and pretty safe in general to use. Just soak it and use a brush and have at it. If its Dura coated or paint that has a hardener in it your pretty much left to blasting it off for the metal parts.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#2]
You could use a methylene chloride-based (MC) stripper on the metal parts and some of the plastics (read the can).

MC strippers will remove any kind of paint and will soften some dura-coat finishes that can then be scraped off. You can find it at Home Depot in the paint aisles under the 'Kleen Strip' brand name.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Is mineral spirits safe for use on plastics? I'm in the same boat as the OP: rifle needs a new paint job.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is mineral spirits safe for use on plastics? I'm in the same boat as the OP: rifle needs a new paint job.
View Quote

Yes it is for the most part, but I would do a test to be sure on your stuff. Worked on my poly stocks and a few glock frames that were rattle can painted.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Wonderful. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I would paint over the top.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wonderful. Thanks!
View Quote

Happy Scrubbing!
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Happy Scrubbing!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wonderful. Thanks!

Happy Scrubbing!

I'll have to get out in the garage early in the morning if I want to beat the heat.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes it is for the most part, but I would do a test to be sure on your stuff. Worked on my poly stocks and a few glock frames that were rattle can painted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mineral spirits probably will not touch basic spray paint.  Denatured alcohol will remove it and should be safe for your rifle.  I remove a lot of graffiti  with it. If that won't do it, I use Goof Off, which is probably not plastic safe if you are using the water based version.  I don't know if the water based version actually works.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Citristrip. I've used it on many firearms with wood and plastic furniture.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

+1 on "Citristrip"

Many years ago I used MEK, Methyl Chloride and other nasty, toxic stuff Citirstrip is easy to use and MUCH safer than a lot of the nasty stuff still out there.

It works very well but is gentle on wood (does not destroy fibre) and blued or parked metal. Plastics can be a little iffy because of the different compositions so try a test spot first before you commit yourself to the whole piece. With all plastics, I wouldn't leave it on for more than 30 minutes at a time.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 3:25:16 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Will this stiff work to remove that "Muddy Girl" finish that Colt added to some of their ARs/M4s?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Will this stiff work to remove that "Muddy Girl" finish that Colt added to some of their ARs/M4s?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have no idea. You might try a small hidden spot first to make sure you like the results. Otherwise, go with a refinish like Duracoat if you want to DIY and keep it reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#15]

^^^^this! it will not harm your synthetic stock and strips paint easily.

Bruce

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top