Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2016 7:00:34 PM EDT
Went to an event sponsored by a local range (Top Gun, they are outstanding people:  I highly recommend them), won a Stoeger "The Grand".  Me not being a trap shooter, and not a fan of Stoeger, they were willing to trade for whatever, and I got a Browning A-Bolt III in .243.  Warne bases and low rings are here, now it is time for scope.  I'm an AR guy; bolt gun will be for son.

I did not put this in Precision Rifles because I don't think this fits that category, but I'm looking for some advice on scope clearance.  I like the 60 degree bolt throw on Brownings, and it approaches Tikka in smoothness.  I am looking for a smaller ocular lens housing to avoid interference with the bolt, spending $300-$400.  Pictures of Zeiss and Vortex make me think there might not be much clearance, but I welcome input from Browning owners.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Leupold VX-2 2-7x33.  Slim, light, bright, proven.  Several reticle choices and a CDS elevation turret option, too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#3]
there's no reason why a normal 40mm scope shouldn't work perfectly

I would get a leupold vx2 or vx3 in 3-9x 40mm with leupold QD rings
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#4]
243 can reach out, a leupold vx2 or vx3 in 3-9 or 4-12 would be the ticket imo.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Leupold VX-2 2-7x33.  Slim, light, bright, proven.  Several reticle choices and a CDS elevation turret option, too.
View Quote

I agree with a 2-7 scope. Most of my scopes are usually left in a lower power setting. Even budget priced scopes available today gather enough light that a big objective bell isn't really necessary. That .243 with a good quality trim scope would be a pleasure to carry and shoot in the field.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Leopold Varixll 4X12 and they are really nice scopes, mine is sitting on a 222 and I haven't had a issue, I also have other Varixll scopes and they are all GTG.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Zeiss Terra 2 x 7.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#8]
PICS!!!  A .243 bolt gun is a thing of beauty.  Up here a 1-4  or 2-7 is just about perfect for deer hunting.  The lower end when you're walking around in the thick stuff and dial in more magnification for sitting over fields and such.    Just depends on what you want to do with it.  Bench shooting a 3x9 or 4x14.  Or more open land hunting.

I've never owned an A bolt.  Or even shot one for that matter.  But wouldn't the 60 degree throw help it stay away from a scope?  Even a larger one?
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#9]
To OP:  A 60 degree bolt (I have one on a Mark V Weatherby) is to improve the ability to get off a second shot faster.  Shorter bolt lift equals less time to cycle the action.

I have quite a few bolt guns, most of which have more traditional two locking lug full 90 degree bolt lift (Rem 700s and Win 70s and Sakos).  The design of the bolt handle allows cycling of those bolts with any and all scopes I own.  Everything from Kahles, Zeiss and such to Leupold, Burris,  Weaver, Nikon, Redfield, and others.  None of them has an occular that interferes with bolt cycling of these even longer lift bolts.  A 60 dergee bolt lift will be a piece of cake.

Select your scope without fear of bolt handle interference.  Make your pick based on intended field use and price range.

This is a very large occular on a Leupold LPS (Schott glass) 2.5-10x45mm scope made back in the '90s.  The rifle is a long action Remington 700 with a two lug 90 degree lift.  The bolt handle clears even that huge occular, much larger than any other I have.

By comparison the Leupold VX-1 2-7x I suggested, is much more slim.  When combined with a 60 degree lift, you could almost operate it with boxing gloves (slight exaggeration, but you get my point).

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I use Leupold VX-II 3-9 on most of my hunting rifles.  40 mm Ocular.  Reasonably tough, reasonably clear optics.  Leupold are awfully hard to beat.  The VX-III scopes are nicer, a little more range in magnification, but more expensive.

I have a couple Burris 3-9 fullfield 2 scopes as well.  I prefer the Leupolds, but not much difference in reality.

The only scope I ever broke was a Burris.  Slipped and fell on the ice and landed on the scope.  Bent the eyepiece something awful.   Sent it in to Burris, they fixed it and sent it back.  Scope was probably 10 years old at the time.  I don't recall if I paid a minimum repair fee or if they just fixed it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use Leupold VX-II 3-9 on most of my hunting rifles.  40 mm Ocular.  Reasonably tough, reasonably clear optics.  Leupold are awfully hard to beat.  The VX-III scopes are nicer, a little more range in magnification, but more expensive.

I have a couple Burris 3-9 fullfield 2 scopes as well.  I prefer the Leupolds, but not much difference in reality.

The only scope I ever broke was a Burris.  Slipped and fell on the ice and landed on the scope.  Bent the eyepiece something awful.   Sent it in to Burris, they fixed it and sent it back.  Scope was probably 10 years old at the time.  I don't recall if I paid a minimum repair fee or if they just fixed it.
View Quote

VX-II and VX-III were excellent scopes.  They have been superceded by even better VX-2 and VX-3 scopes (current models) with improved glass and more precise tracking.  Have examples of both.  The older ones are still good enough not to replace.  Newer ones are on more recent rifles.  Leupold is not the best, but its models may be the best hunting scope in its comparable price range, and almost always the lightest, an important consideration for a carry around rifle.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I think the older versions were the Vari X-II and Vari X-III.   The new VX series are better, the new VX-2 is roughly equivalent to the older Vari X-III.  I think I have one of the older Vari X-II scopes and a newer VX-2 scope.

In any case, for a decent dependable scope with good warranty, look at the Leupold's.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#13]
A good quality 3X9 will cover 90% of all scope needs...............
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think the older versions were the Vari X-II and Vari X-III.   The new VX series are better, the new VX-2 is roughly equivalent to the older Vari X-III.  I think I have one of the older Vari X-II scopes and a newer VX-2 scope.

In any case, for a decent dependable scope with good warranty, look at the Leupold's.
View Quote

Yes.  There have been three iterations of Leupold's variable 1" main tube hunting scopes.  First came the various Vari-X scopes, like the Vari-X and Vari-X-II.  Then a new series called VX, but with Roman numerals, as in VX-I, VX-II, VX-III, and now the current VX with Arabic numbers, like VX-1, VX-2 and VX-3.  Each iteration added features and within each, glass quality, lens coatings and turret tracking improved as the number within the series gets higher.

Today's VX-1 is on par with yesterday's VX-II.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A good quality 3X9 will cover 90% of all scope needs...............
View Quote

Yes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top