Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone here mentioned the myth that suppressors were throw away items and that itnis false.

That statement is incorrect. There are disposable suppressors and in the past they weren't like what you see today.

For example

Glock Disposable Suppressor
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:51:19 AM EDT
[#2]
"Officer, my/ my friend's gun is legally registered"
"No it's not. Know how I know? There is no gun registration in this state"

Shotguns are the best HD gun because you only have to point them in the general direction of the bad guy.

If you throw a round in a fire, the bullet will shoot out and hit something as if it were fired from a gun.

AR15s are bad for HD because if you miss, the bullet will go through all the walls and through your neighbors house.

A shotgun filled with rock salt is a good HD option if you don't want to kill anybody.

During quals on the pop up range in the Army: if you aim at the berm, the bullet will throw up dirt and knock the target down.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would agree with all of this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rifled slugs spin in the air.

Cutting the tang off an AK ruins it.

Glocks don't have mach grade barrels.

Glocks are cheap and made to be thrown away.

Rifled slugs don't spin?  I thought the rifling on the slug imparted a little bit of spin when fired, aiding in a more accurate round then if it was a smooth slug out of a smooth bore.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Rifled slugs don't spin?  I thought the rifling on the slug imparted a little bit of spin when fired, aiding in a more accurate round then if it was a smooth slug out of a smooth bore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

https://youtu.be/uNIL0bChyPk

Slugs with a rifled profile won't spin. Any slug shot from a rifled barrel will. I think people buy slugs with the grooves or rifling cut into them and think they'll spin when fired from a smooth bore. They won't and the embedded video shows that.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Well that video makes it look like it's not spinning at all.  And maybe they don't.  But if it doesn't spin a lot, I'm not sure you'd see it in that short of a distance.  It did appear like it wasn't spinning at all.   But that doesn't look definitive to me.  What's the point of the rifling in the slug then?   Obviously if you shoot a smooth slug in a rifle barrel, it's going to spin just like a rifle.  But I thought the whole point of a "rifled" slug was to impart a bit of spin to aid in accuracy when fired from a smooth bore.  Furthermore, it doesn't make sense to fire a rifles slug from a rifled bore, it seems like the two things might not play well together if they are opposite direction or whatever.  

This whole thing has me scratching my head.    Wouldn't the fins on a projectile shaped like that, impart some spin from the air?  Maybe similar, but to a smaller degree when you see fans that rotate freely when wind is pushed through them?  

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:49:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well that video makes it look like it's not spinning at all.  And maybe they don't.  But if it doesn't spin a lot, I'm not sure you'd see it in that short of a distance.  It did appear like it wasn't spinning at all.   But that doesn't look definitive to me.  What's the point of the rifling in the slug then?   Obviously if you shoot a smooth slug in a rifle barrel, it's going to spin just like a rifle.  But I thought the whole point of a "rifled" slug was to impart a bit of spin to aid in accuracy when fired from a smooth bore.  Furthermore, it doesn't make sense to fire a rifles slug from a rifled bore, it seems like the two things might not play well together if they are opposite direction or whatever.  

This whole thing has me scratching my head.    Wouldn't the fins on a projectile shaped like that, impart some spin from the air?  Maybe similar, but to a smaller degree when you see fans that rotate freely when wind is pushed through them?  

View Quote

The truth about shotgun slugs:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My XXX will hold XXX MOA all day long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
My XXX will hold XXX MOA all day long.

"If eye do muh part..."

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:45:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can buy guns on the Internet and have them shipped to your house.
View Quote

But you can!  CMP M-1s.

That's the only place I'm aware of though.

ETA - Beaten, and handily.  And then corrected.    But I don't play C&Rs, so...
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 2:17:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Dry firing is bad
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 4:52:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dry firing is bad
View Quote

People have been reporting broken firing pins after Glock switched to MIM, and even Glock says not to dry fire their guns any more.

But yeah, in almost every other case it's perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 7:42:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a few, but my favorite wives tale is the one about Damascus barrels being unsafe.  The funniest part is the fact that this wives tale only exists in America.  

So what's yours?
View Quote

Really? You think not shooting modern smokeless powder loads out of a 125 year old gun with twisted/laminated steel barrels of unknown proof is a wive's tale? Well, they're your eyes and hands so be my guest. . . .

Damascus barrels have hundreds of internal surfaces where the steels were forged together. Who knows what kind of corrosion has crept in there over the years and begun to do damage. You can try some homemade proof loads if you want but you never know when a barrel is going to fail. It happens once, without warning. Again, be my guest.

IF you're going to try it, make sure you use the kinds of loads the gun was designed for. Old Damascus barrels were not intended for modern ammunition. If you insist on shooting Damascus guns, shoot black powder only. Also, pay attention to chamber length. Most of these old guns have short chambers.

As for Europeans still using Damascus, that may be true in some cases but they're not stupid about it. They have proof houses in Europe and they have their guns proofed. They also tend to shoot light loads -- really light loads -- compared to Americans. They would never stuff a 3-inch shell in a 100-year-old gun and say, "Here, hold my beer." That's likely the first thing an American is going to do.

Yes, there are some truly fine guns out there with Damascus barrels that would be perfectly safe to shoot with light-pressure smokeless powder -- but most of us mere mortals can't afford those guns and we lack the expertise to know which guns are GTO. Most Damascus barrels the average ARFcom reader will encounter are best reserved as wall hangers. The SAFEST advice is DON'T DO IT! You can't take back the fuck-up once it happens. Don't risk it.

SOME Damascus barrels are safe . . . with the right loads . . . until they're not. If you know for sure your gun is one of the safe ones and can anticipate that moment when it's not and make sure you don't fire THAT round, have at it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 7:45:47 AM EDT
[#13]
My favorite is that you can tell if a gun is going to fit you by laying the stock along your forearm. Unless you're going to shoot the gun with the stock tucked into your elbow, the length of your forearm has almost no correlation to how a gun is going to fit.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But you can!  CMP M-1s.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But you can!  CMP M-1s.

If both buyer and seller are residents of the same state, an unlicensed person can also buy a gun from another unlicensed person and have it shipped directly without going through an FFL (same as a face-to-face).
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.  That was a good explanation.  I like a lot of his stuff, but I don't necessarily know how accurate he is on everything.  He pretty much talks about all aspects of Gun stuff and it all sounds proper.  But he also pushed Marshall and Sanow heavy for ballistics.  So........
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine is longer shotgun barrels shoot further out. Had some real arguments with people convinced it was true.

Similar had a argument of longer rifle barrels are more accurate with a couple people.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mine is longer shotgun barrels shoot further out. Had some real arguments with people convinced it was true.

Similar had a argument of longer rifle barrels are more accurate with a couple people.
View Quote

There is an element of truth in both of these . . .

In the case of shotguns, in the fixed choke days longer barrels typically had tighter chokes. A 26 barrel was IC, a 28 inch was modified and a 30 inch was full choke. So, yeah, the longer barrels performed better on distant targets but that was because of the choke, not the barrel length.

Longer barrel rifles can give better accuracy IF you're shooting open sights because of longer sight radius provides better aiming precision. The better results are due to more accurate sights, though, not a more accurate barrel.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Laughter is a security device.

Had an older gent tell me his M16 was made by mattel. Had another who was issued a m1 tanker.
I doubt this. Hearing such makes me think they are making up there "service" if there was. No need to brag with tall tales..

One guy claims to own an original M1 tanker (its original because its stamped on the side). I think this guy is just a local stupid redneck and a real cheapskate. Hes never bought a single thing from me but has handled everything on my gunshow table like 5 dozen times..  He wont show me the tanker but mentions it EVERY time I see him.

I have heard you can make a M16 single shot by chopping it behind the delta ring with a machete.. (cut the ga tube in half).
This was told to us at church in boys youth group when the teachers were bashing the M16 and teaching us why it sucked.
only in MS will you get this kind of info at church. Of course they told us bullets tumble also........

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
5.56 tumbles end-over-end in flight. (on purpose)

I had a friend tell me that once.  "at a certain distance, the 556 starts spinning like a buzzsaw and that's why it's so good."  I tried to tell him, no... if your bullet is tumbling through the air, your gun is seriously messed up.  He wouldn't have it.  Just laughed it off as if I was making a silly joke.  Blew my mind.  Scary part... he's an Army officer; MI so I guess it's better than if he were infantry or something, but damn son.  Why you like that?

Laughter is a security device.

Had an older gent tell me his M16 was made by mattel. Had another who was issued a m1 tanker.
I doubt this. Hearing such makes me think they are making up there "service" if there was. No need to brag with tall tales..

One guy claims to own an original M1 tanker (its original because its stamped on the side). I think this guy is just a local stupid redneck and a real cheapskate. Hes never bought a single thing from me but has handled everything on my gunshow table like 5 dozen times..  He wont show me the tanker but mentions it EVERY time I see him.

I have heard you can make a M16 single shot by chopping it behind the delta ring with a machete.. (cut the ga tube in half).
This was told to us at church in boys youth group when the teachers were bashing the M16 and teaching us why it sucked.
only in MS will you get this kind of info at church. Of course they told us bullets tumble also........

False.  You will get all kinds of info like that in any Mormon church.  John Moses Browning was one of us...
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
-using your mag as a monopod will cause a jam
-Shooting steel will richochet
-556 was designed to wound  (eta someone beat me to it!)
-Any "ALWAYS / NEVER" argument with regards to shooting technique
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 3:48:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Umm...well...I have sutured at least one laceration from a slide bite, so...
Yes Virginia, slide bite is real.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Slide Bite!  Have been shooting almost 40yrs, I don't even KNOW anybody that encountered this fictitious problem!
Carry a revolver, with hammer on empty chamber!  Who's the Fuck'n IDIOT who thought this was a good idea?  Does any MORON really carry like this!
Except that is not a myth: Google Image search

Yeah, I've had slide bite with a Glock 19 once. Granted it's not a common occurrence. Also, the carrying with the hammer on an empty chamber was pretty much standard fare in the single action days. So it's not too crazy to believe that it has carried over today.

Umm...well...I have sutured at least one laceration from a slide bite, so...
Yes Virginia, slide bite is real.

Yes it is! It's not as common or as prevalent as people say, but it does happen under
the right circumstances. For example, I have very large hands, as in picking up a
basketball with one hand. I shot a friends' Beretta 950 a few years ago, and got
a nice little gash across the bottom knuckle of my thumb, as well as a good-sized
blood blister from that fabled hammer bite.
A actually got hurt worse from a .25 than the .454 I owned at the time!
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like someone's never been popped in the lip by a jacket that detached from the core on impact, or seen a flyer off of an overused steel target.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 5:08:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Looks like someone's never been popped in the lip by a jacket that detached from the core on impact, or seen a flyer off of an overused steel target.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's spalling, not actually richochet.

You get in close and I'll get hit with bits just about every shot. Pretty hard sometimes too. But people act like the round is going to bounce straight back at you.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

You get in close and I'll get hit with bits just about every shot. Pretty hard sometimes too. But people act like the round is going to bounce straight back at you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got popped in the face by a .380 richochet. Was shooting a homemade steel plate target out in the boonies. Guy didn't angle it downwards, I took a shot with a Walther PP, got kissed in my face. I thought I was screwed. Like missing teeth or lower jaw screwed due to the pain.

Luckily nothing major happened other than my pride and bruising. Found the deformed but intact FMJ projectile near where I was standing when it happened.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still got the scar on my arm from just that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Ouch!
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullets can definitely richochet off of steel. When we built our new cas couse, we had all of the targets straight up and down and had to tilt them. The first day we had one hit a car in the parking lot. Not hard, barely barely embedded in the small dent it formed but it was definitely a ricochet.

There is youtube video of a guy shooting a 50, you hear the metal clink, then a whistle sound, if i recall right a bounce then it hits his ear pro and knocks if off.

Edit - google .50 richochet. It pops right up.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put a shot up old steel target out there and you'll end up seeing the difference between spalling and ricochets.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 1:10:18 AM EDT
[#29]
"A .50 BMG doesn't even have to hit someone to kill them. The round can [insert retardation involving tearing skin off or dismemberment] simply by passing close to the target."
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:20:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
If both buyer and seller are residents of the same state, an unlicensed person can also buy a gun from another unlicensed person and have it shipped directly without going through an FFL (same as a face-to-face).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But you can!  CMP M-1s.

Yep. I have technically bought a gun off the internet (EE) and had it shipped to my house.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got thumped pretty good in the chest by a 9mm round at about 10 yds from an old steel silhouette target. The jacket had been shed and it was malformed but I would guess the weight to have been about 100gr still. It was easy to find as it embedded and melted into the rather heavy thermal I was wearing. I don't know that a full 180 degree ricochet can really be all that dangerous, but I could see a rifle round at an angle ruining someones day.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:44:20 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

The "fins" are there to enable the slug to pass through a tight choke without blowing up the barrel.  They swage down as they exit.  No spin whatsoever they only fly nose-first because of the shuttlecock effect.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#33]
That's what the chuck hawks page said.  Well, I learned something new.  
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top