BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A 10 second delay when needing access to your gun seems like a very long time. I can access my handgun from my quick access safe attached to my be in about 3 seconds in complete darkness.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These can easily cost between $500 and $1000. The boss is not allowing me to drop that kind of cheese, nor is she letting me modify the existing wall. I have thought of building my own with a large mirror, but i'm better with metal and I like the idea of a key pad lock. No practical reason. I like to play with things.

Speaking of, it would be real easy to mount these old locks on a bed frame. A shotgun under the bed with a momentary switch on a 10 second delay would be easy if you are electrically proficient. Again, more fun man project stuff than practical.

A 10 second delay when needing access to your gun seems like a very long time. I can access my handgun from my quick access safe attached to my be in about 3 seconds in complete darkness.

It made sense at the time. it is keeping the lock open for 10 seconds. It is made to work on a momentary switch, so it delays the engagement of the lock. Not the opening of the lock. Otherwise, on the momentary switch, it would only be unlocked when the switch was pushed. II you took your finger off the switch it would lock.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yep.  Frangible ammo is meant for shoot-house use against steel targets.  It performs poorly against fleshy targets and goes through drywall easily.

What you want is ammo that will fragment in fleshy targets, those kind of rounds generally have their performance reduced after hitting a dry wall or two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
... I could probably make a 25 automatic look like an awesome penetrator next to an AR round if I use frangible ammo in the AR...

You might be surprised at how much drywall frangible 5.56 will penetrate.  I was.

Yep.  Frangible ammo is meant for shoot-house use against steel targets.  It performs poorly against fleshy targets and goes through drywall easily.

What you want is ammo that will fragment in fleshy targets, those kind of rounds generally have their performance reduced after hitting a dry wall or two.

Since this is the more popular subject, I will tell you that I use a 55gr VMAX in the AR for home stuff. A LE friend and coworker suggested it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a pistol in a handgun safe under the bed.  I live in a neighborhood and using an ar for home defense is idiotic.
View Quote

What if I told you that 223 penetrates fewer walls than 9mm/45?
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a pistol in a handgun safe under the bed.  I live in a neighborhood and using an ar for home defense is idiotic.

I'd tell you to read the thread.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes, of course.  Most folks would never chose a FMJ or AP round for home defense, so when these types of studies are done, they mainly stick with rounds that are used for defense and not warfare.

I could probably make a 25 automatic look like an awesome penetrator next to an AR round if I use frangible ammo in the AR.  I have done the tests myself by building drywall, insulation and siding squares.  i did this to disprove someone who told me that an AR self defense round would not be that much worse than a 9mm.  The argument that he was making against me was that an AR would have substantial advantages (capacity, accuracy and ballistics) while still being very similar in penetration characteristics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should look at the penetration characteristics between a 9mm handgun round and an AR15 rifle round.

Report back what you find.

This generalization totally falls apart when you consider the variation in bullet design available for each option.  Bullet penetration and terminal performance based on construction trumps the differences in 9mm and 5.56  at close range.  I can make an argument in favor of either if you select the conditions and let me choose the bullet.

Yes, of course.  Most folks would never chose a FMJ or AP round for home defense, so when these types of studies are done, they mainly stick with rounds that are used for defense and not warfare.

I could probably make a 25 automatic look like an awesome penetrator next to an AR round if I use frangible ammo in the AR.  I have done the tests myself by building drywall, insulation and siding squares.  i did this to disprove someone who told me that an AR self defense round would not be that much worse than a 9mm.  The argument that he was making against me was that an AR would have substantial advantages (capacity, accuracy and ballistics) while still being very similar in penetration characteristics.

I've also seen both sides of this be true and not sure what to believe.  I don't think it's just the FMJ or AP rounds that might penetrate well.  A lot of the newer SD rounds are bonded to hold together better when going through barriers.   Or I don't think I've ever seen any Drywall tests done with the TSX bullet.  Which is supposedly very very good for performance.  

I personally wouldn't necessarily pick a 55 grain vmax as my first choice.  They are known to violently expand and penetrate not very deep.  I would pick it over some other rounds though.  I typically use my handgun as my HD, despite the fact that they might penetrate more.  There is no perfect answer.  If you shoot a gun in your house, rounds will go through walls.  It's a great idea to minimize collateral damage, but there's no such thing as a perfect bullet that is ALWAYS going to penetrate a bad guy deep enough to hit something important, and maybe do it while going through barriers, and still not go through some walls.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol touche
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry if this was posted above, I went kinda quick when I was skimming.

Anyway, these people make what's called the Gun Bed. One version has a headboard with a trap door for a long gun. They ain't cheap, but one is probably want you're looking for.

http://www.gunbed.net/
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I never leave a loaded weapon unattended.  Usually locked up. Always concealed.  Always under my control.

I don't have kids.  Many state's have a legal requirement that kids not be able to access unlocked weapons.  We shouldn't need such a law but if anything goes wrong they will nail you with it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I have some parts on the way. I'll update with a final product for anyone who is interested.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have some parts on the way. I'll update with a final product for anyone who is interested.
View Quote

Definitely interested to see what you decided on.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#12]
My oldest cannot rack an AR yet, so they sit on amber in the bedroom.

In a few years, I may invest in a cheapo skinny safe or locker in the bedroom to shuck them into.

Only loaded guns are the two in holsters.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am glad my children are grown and don't live in the home anylonger, it is always gut wrenching to figure out the best path when talking about home defense with children in the home.

I keep a pistol by my side of the bed as does my wife.

Good luck in finding a solution that works for your situation.
View Quote

Why not condition one if you have no kids? Honest question.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:18:00 AM EDT
[#14]
This is all very good, but here's a test you should try.  Have someone take a home smoke detector near the entry point you would expect a breakin to occur and set it off.  Do this about 4 AM on a week night and have the person setting the alarm off time your response time.  Unless you live in a free-fire zone, I think you'll be surprised at the result, I was.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is all very good, but here's a test you should try.  Have someone take a home smoke detector near the entry point you would expect a breakin to occur and set it off.  Do this about 4 AM on a week night and have the person setting the alarm off time your response time.  Unless you live in a free-fire zone, I think you'll be surprised at the result, I was.
View Quote

On a similar note, having a sibling or friend who hasnt been through your house run through it from an entry point until he can find the bedroom. Like two seconds at my single story ranch.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#16]

All rifles in the safe.

Home defense is condition 1 G22 in quick access safe.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Man I'm all about the learning, if I have to take an ego shot to gain some knowledge I'm game.  Thanks for the direction.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should look at the penetration characteristics between a 9mm handgun round and an AR15 rifle round.

Report back what you find.

Well after a fair amount of reading I'm man enough to say that in general I'm incorrect.  With that said the pistol under my bed uses hollow points and my ar primarily uses fmj, but this was more about the point of the issue so I'll talk less and sit back and read more.  Thank you

Wow!  I am not sure that belong on arfcom because you are way to polite and circumspect!  

I had this big paragraph typed out, but then deleted it and figured that it would be better for a person to research for themselves than to take a whole diatribe from some random person on the internet about all the research that I had done.

I also learned this because I just "knew" that a pistol would never penetrate anywhere nearly as much as a rifle round.  Learned that lesson from a wise instructor.  Thankfully he was kind about it.

Man I'm all about the learning, if I have to take an ego shot to gain some knowledge I'm game.  Thanks for the direction.  

Not hall monitoring, but I wish we had more of this.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Bama has one of the old police electric locks for an AR in his trunk.  

Wall mount that in a closet would be tits. I think he bought it used on eBay.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#19]
All of my guns are locked up. Most are in the primary safe and a pistol bedside in a gunvault.

Yes you can say teach your kids (and I have) but your kids bring friends over. So IMO I don't trust anyone unless they are locked up. To many nosey kids and adults so they stay locked up.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#20]
The lock came I  the mail today. I can't imagine a hand guard that wouldn't fit. It's too big for my ALG tube, but I think I can make it work. One more package of parts and I'm ready to put it together.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#21]
As a father of a 4 year old i just can't leave the guns out. I secure mine in the safe every morning before work and take it out when I get home. It's a pain in the ass but I could never live with myself if she got ahold of it and had a nd.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I would never leave an unsecured gun around a child.

Kids get into stuff.

When I was a kid, everyone's parents would beat the living shit out us and we still did all kinds of crazy stuff.

I used to get my dad's propane torch out and have 8 inches of fire shooting out of it and burn stuff with it.

If you think your kids don't do stuff like that, you're a fool.

I grew up around guns and saw the "my kids won't touch the guns" philosophy fail on multiple occasions.

I went to school with a guy who shot his brother through the chest in their garage and killed him.

One time when I was about 8 years old a kid fetched a 22 rifle from a hall closet and dry fired it in my face.

His parent literally beat the living fuck out of the kid for that but they still committed a serious fuckup by leaving the gun where the kid could get it.

Everyone thinks their kids are different, they're special, but they're not.  They're kids and they need a chance to grow up before they're treated like grown ups.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
With my first wife, we had one simple rule.  Children were never allowed to enter our bedroon without first asking permission.  That rule worked out well for us.  How old is your daughter?
View Quote

"don't touch this" is generally considered the worst method for controlling kids and guns...

Kids have UNLIMITED time to find keys and ways around cases and locks. Better to teach them to use them responsibly as young as practical. Then at least WHEN they get into them, at least they'll most likely be safe.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:33:49 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?
Indeed - why? (someone needs to do a little ballistic self education I think!)

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:40:00 AM EDT
[#27]
http://www.covered6.com/apps/webstore/products/show/5731757

I have bought two of these for work, they are installed in offices, and they work great.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Yee have much to learn...

If you're under the assumption that a long gun is unsafe and your pistol or shotgun is somehow exempt from the laws of physics you are wrong.

If it's an effective round, they all go through stuff.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#30]
My inclination is to get a minimum size gun safe that you keep in your bedroom with your (and your spouse's) HD long arm of choice. When you get up in the morning, you grab your CCW out of the safe and lock it. When you go to bed, you put your CCW back in the safe but DO NOT lock it.

This way your firearms are secure whenever your not in the room, but are readily accessible should there be a bump in the night.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I keep my Glock locked up in my bedside table. Easy access but secure.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No matter how well disciplined your six or eight year old is as soon as they bring in the neighbor's kids there's trouble.
View Quote

This. Mrs and I plan on picking up one of those lightweight skinny safes to tuck Ito a corner of the bedroom for the HD rifles, carry handguns, and the kids 22
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Any update OP?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top