Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2016 7:03:28 PM EDT
Hey guys so I finally upgraded my safe to a "40" gun safe from Liberty. It has the door storage system as well with room for 10 handguns. That space is all occupied and I have a few of the rubber coated metal handgun hangers.

I do have a few safe queens that are still in their boxes. Is this a poor choice for humidity? I have a dehumidifier in the safe with the guns, and the boxes are in the safe with it. One is in it's cardboard box inside wax paper (colt), one is in a felt lined presentation case (smith), and one is in a foam lined plastic case (HK). Would I just be better off setting them on the shelf or are they alright in these boxes?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The original boxes should be fine, but be careful with the foam case. Of course, with a dehumidifier running and regular inspection, you'd probably be fine.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Put them in racks after applying proper lube/preservative. Why have them if you can't at least open your safe and stare at them.

The only ones I have in bags normally go in a glass display case.  That case needs to be cleaned by my maid before they go back in.

She didn't see me type that..........
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:37:21 AM EDT
[#3]
crown royal bags are the thinnest safest way to store pistols, maybe spray the bags down with silicon or other lube for extra margin of safety.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:57:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't use the original case. Toobulky and can cause rust depending on foam. Use gun socks that are silicone treated, or just buy some more wire racks and make em pretty.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I use these racks in my safe, they doubled the amount of handguns I could fit on the shelf: http://amzn.com/B005A32HYE
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I "oil down" my blue guns with Birchwood Casey Barricade (formerly called Sheath).... don't use a plastic gun case or gun rug that cannot "breathe", and as others have commented, loose is probably better, especially in the high humidity
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Those guns sit in those original cases sometimes for years before they're sold. Why are you worried about it?

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:25:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Depends on the gun and climate. When living in coastal SC, I once had an early gen 4 glock 34 rust from the open-cell foam (though I suspect that the finish was faulty, I think this was shortly after they went to a gas nitrocarburizing process).
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I store them in pistol rugs.  The air in my house is as dry as popcorn flatulence.

MHO, YMMV, et cetera.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Bottom line:  as long as the case can breathe, you are good to go inside your gunsafe.  If it cannot breathe, no amount of dehumidifier of the air out in the safe is likely to protect it from rust just from whatever moisture remains inside the sealed case it is in.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#11]
No, get this:

and store them between the sticks.  Cases have no place in a safe.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:17:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I have used the Bore Stores products for a long time, with great results.
They Velcro close, but let air in, and are a thick enough material, that you can just stack handguns on top of one another, if you are short of space in the safe, without
worrying about scratching.

http://borestores.com
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 3:50:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I store boxes elsewhere to save space.  Getting ready to upgrade to a bigger safe and am going to order custom pistol racks from this guy:
Manaboutracks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top