Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2016 2:57:05 AM EDT
Anyone else excited about this?
Maybe I'm just a total nerd, but I'm seriously considering one of these at the $1800 they're supposed to come out for, and I'm a machinist, so that's serious money for me.
Probably in 7.62x39 or .223 to start with.

Good three part overview:
[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SSz6dl94t1I[/youtube]

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0e26eeLHwo0[/youtube]

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oR3Jz_bcai8[/youtube]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:51:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Think everyone is excited. There was a thread on them a little while back. I'm holding out until I see the first lot come out though. It's not that I don't like the guys at HMG but they are an unproven entity in terms of firearms, other than the Cetme L. So i'll wait, wish them the best and hope to pick up a second run one.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm eagerly awaiting one as well but will wait for a bit to make sure all the bugs are worked out prior to dropping that much cash on a firearm.  In 7.62x39 obviously.

It'll look great thrown in the back of the jeep!
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I can wait until my other gun needs are taken care of, but, if I can get one for a good price in the original caliber and a crap ton of mags, I'd jump on it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:46:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd consider getting one.  However, I'm not gambling $1800 as a pre order on a shop that's new without much history.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#5]
The one thing that gives me pause is the mag release being on the wrong side compared to the original.

Original:

HMG version:

I like that it's chambered in 5.56mm, and I think they did a great job with the mags, I just wish they had a left side mag release so it had the same controls as the original.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks great, but also not willing to gamble 1800.00 on it at this point.  I'll want to see some in the wild and know they are without issues.  

I was waiting for that fucking MDR but that ship sailed too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I generally never buy anything where the photos on the product page are CAD images.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I generally never buy anything where the photos on the product page are CAD images.
View Quote

They have actual pics of the pre-production model up now.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:15:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I like everything about  it except  for  the  plastic  magazines.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 2:55:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 2:58:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Same here.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

go on their facebook page and tell them. I've already pleaded my case.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 3:12:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

I griped already, after it was announced.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

To give them some credit they address why this was in a couple of vids. Primarily to keep the cost down and make sure they could get the product out and in some volumes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't like the bulge where the barrel nut is or the way the receiver looks, it'll pass the 10 yard test but it isn't close enough for me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't like the bulge where the barrel nut is or the way the receiver looks, it'll pass the 10 yard test but it isn't close enough for me.
View Quote

Agreed. Upon further ogling, I would never be satisfied that a lot of the details were altered. No-can-do for me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Agreed. Upon further ogling, I would never be satisfied that a lot of the details were altered. No-can-do for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was my concern. I like it, I kind of want one but along with the unproven heritage they have changed just enough to put me off a little too. I can understand why they made the changes, the ability to use HK trigger packs is both cool and cost effective for them from a manufacturing stand point (eliminates the need to manufacture small parts etc) but it does make the receiver look funky. Some of the internal changes i'm sure were also done for good reasons i'm sure but it won't please the pureists and the casual guys will be sticking to their AR's and AK's which is a shame because this project deserves to be commercially successful, for varieties sake if nothing else.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:05:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm excited to see the reviews. We'll see if the quality is good or it'll hold up when the reviews come in. I personally don't see an issue with the "updates" or changes in the design. To copy the original exactly would have made it a 5k gun at least just like the ptr44, and you saw how the first batches of those turned out. They had plenty of issues. The gun is meant to be a shooter, and making those changes gives us a gun that the working man can afford.  If the purists want to be mad let them be mad. I personally know a guy that brags about his ptr44 that he dropped 8k on all the time, and how it's "original" and a real stg44. Lol, no it's not.  It's an gun that resembles the original, has no history behind it as its a new manufactured gun, and has no fun switch.  In the end, they are all copies or "wanna-bes" lol.

If it gets good reviews, I may pick one up when the prices come down a little.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:12:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This was my concern. I like it, I kind of want one but along with the unproven heritage they have changed just enough to put me off a little too. I can understand why they made the changes, the ability to use HK trigger packs is both cool and cost effective for them from a manufacturing stand point (eliminates the need to manufacture small parts etc) but it does make the receiver look funky. Some of the internal changes i'm sure were also done for good reasons i'm sure but it won't please the pureists and the casual guys will be sticking to their AR's and AK's which is a shame because this project deserves to be commercially successful, for varieties sake if nothing else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the casual guys will be the type of people who buy this IMO.  The guys who own a variety of rifles, who have no problem buying another AR, tavor, ak, aug or whichever rifle. The younger shooters will see this as a gun they've seen through various pop culture from movies to video games and for that it will have a pseudo-novelty. The older shooter/collector/purist will be the ones who want the ptr44 and have no issues dropping the coin on it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The one thing that gives me pause is the mag release being on the wrong side compared to the original.

Original:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/84/MP44_-_Tyskland_-_8x33mm_Kurz_-_Arm%C3%A9museum.jpg/1024px-MP44_-_Tyskland_-_8x33mm_Kurz_-_Arm%C3%A9museum.jpg

HMG version:
<a href="http://s53.photobucket.com/user/c4h10fo2p_/media/STGN1web1_zpswfeqwmvv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g51/c4h10fo2p_/STGN1web1_zpswfeqwmvv.jpg</a>

I like that it's chambered in 5.56mm, and I think they did a great job with the mags, I just wish they had a left side mag release so it had the same controls as the original.
View Quote

Of all the modifications they made from the original, strangely the mag release is the only thing I'm really hung up on.  I really, REALLY want it on the left side like the original.  I actually asked them about this at SHOT, and they told me they are working on moving it to the left side, but it doesn't look like they were able to make it happen, sadly.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Of all the modifications they made from the original, strangely the mag release is the only thing I'm really hung up on.  I really, REALLY want it on the left side like the original.  I actually asked them about this at SHOT, and they told me they are working on moving it to the left side, but it doesn't look like they were able to make it happen, sadly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Original:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/84/MP44_-_Tyskland_-_8x33mm_Kurz_-_Arm%C3%A9museum.jpg/1024px-MP44_-_Tyskland_-_8x33mm_Kurz_-_Arm%C3%A9museum.jpg

HMG version:
<a href="http://s53.photobucket.com/user/c4h10fo2p_/media/STGN1web1_zpswfeqwmvv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g51/c4h10fo2p_/STGN1web1_zpswfeqwmvv.jpg</a>

Bummer, though at least they're aware that it's a desired feature.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you want an authentic one, best to just pay for a real full auto.
View Quote

No disrespect intended, but congratulations on being successful.

Unfortunately, I don't have $30,000 just laying around.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think they did a great job of catching the "essence" of the STG-44 and that is what most people are going to want.

These are a nice "affordable"  copy for the layman shooter or re-enactor who want something close to get the general feel and not totally break the bank.   I have held the STG and talked to the company at SHOT and generally agree with what their line of thinking was- they will sell A LOT more as a close copy at $1800 than they would as an exact copy at $4500+.  

Makes business sense to me, and if it is successful, then they could always look at making a "collectors edition"  that is really dialed in to the last nut and bolt.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 4:07:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I dont have $30,000 just lying around either, which is if I wanted a pretty decent copy of the STG 44 I would go for a HMG STG for less than 10% of the price and not worry about it not being a 100% exact replica.

Kind of the exact point I was trying to make. ;)

Sven
Manticore Arms

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No disrespect intended, but congratulations on being successful.

Unfortunately, I don't have $30,000 just laying around.

I dont have $30,000 just lying around either, which is if I wanted a pretty decent copy of the STG 44 I would go for a HMG STG for less than 10% of the price and not worry about it not being a 100% exact replica.

Kind of the exact point I was trying to make. ;)

Sven
Manticore Arms

I guess I misunderstood the intent of your post.  My apologies.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Roy Batty has been on them about test fire videos for awhile now

I am seriously considering getting one................for me, the changes aren't that bad, and it's a lot cheaper than the real thing............I just need to decide between this and the Colt XM177 rifle they are coming out with

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a real one soo these fail to intrest me

If Wolf would step to plate and make me 7.92 Kurtz for .22-.23 cents per round like 7.62 that would excite me
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:15:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Isnt Prvi Partizan the only company that makes Kurz ammo at present?

Quoted:

If Wolf would step to plate and make me 7.92 Kurtz for .22-.23 cents per round like 7.62 that would excite me
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, but at .75-.85 cents per round on average ??
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#31]
I considered getting one of these till i looked into it further the builders could have made this exactly as the original and done us all a favor.   as a MP-44/STG-44 owner I would welcome a semi-auto copy at a fair price. but i would be embarrassed by this abomination
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#32]
The STG is a relic for collectors. It has some historical value and is a cool gun, but as a shooter there's so many other things I'd prefer, even at only $1800.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I spent some time talking with their lead engineer at NRA 2016, and we are going to see about having them bring one out to Bullpup Shoot in september for the public to try out.

View Quote

September, you say?  I just checked their website, looks like shipping has been pushed back once again to "late summer/early fall."  This is back from, "beginning of July," back from "end of May/beginning of June," back from "April."

I've been squirreling money away for this since December, but this vaporware path and the f-ed up mag release have got me to the point were I'm about to blow the lot on something else.

Glad I didn't pre-order.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Why would making an exact copy cost 3x as much as what they're currently trying to produce?
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I dont like them.
I'm biased as I purchased my second C&R Stg44 about two months ago. The new one is a 1945 Haenel manufactured.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Why would making an exact copy cost 3x as much as what they're currently trying to produce?
View Quote

Primarily because of the trigger group.   It's way over engineered and therefore EXTREMELY complicated.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Any update?
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#38]
A previous employer had an STG44.  It was a blast to fire. I will most likely get one in 5.56.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top