Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2016 9:43:02 PM EDT
Leaving for a hunting trip this Friday on American Airlines and noticed that AA specifically says that checked firearms dimensions Length + width + height must be less than 62".  I called AA and confirmed that this is the policy.  

I messed up on the dimensions and was planning to use a Plano 42" all weather tactical case, but just realized that exceeds the 62" limit but a 36" case would work.  Unfortunately there's no way my 1903A3 will fit in a 36" case.    

I'm wondering what your all's experience has been with AA and checking rifle cases?  Do they just chuck stuff on the belt or are they particular about oversized items?  It's an expensive gamble because the oversize fee is $200 each way.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:25:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Just went to your link...I believe their policy is that it can't be over 62" long. Your 42" case should be fine.

I just traveled Spirit with a 48" case a couple weeks ago. No issues except they did not hand me the case face to face after the flight. It went on the luggage carousel with the rest of the bags and apparently that is normal. It was my first time flying with a gun.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#2]
if you need to consider separating stock from action and then case it. if possible.

Bruce
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It went on the luggage carousel with the rest of the bags and apparently that is normal. It was my first time flying with a gun.
View Quote

I have found this can vary from airport to airport.  Most I have been to just drop it on the normal carousel with everything else, while some will hold the item at the baggage office where you'll have to go claim it.  If you're not sure, there should be an attendant nearby the baggage claim that you can ask when you arrive.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just went to your link...I believe their policy is that it can't be over 62" long. Your 42" case should be fine.

I just traveled Spirit with a 48" case a couple weeks ago. No issues except they did not hand me the case face to face after the flight. It went on the luggage carousel with the rest of the bags and apparently that is normal. It was my first time flying with a gun.
View Quote

The flunky on the phone said the 62" was L+W+H. I think I'll drop by the airport and ask the desk people just to be sure.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
if you need to consider separating stock from action and then case it. if possible.

Bruce
View Quote

Unfortunately the stock for the 03A3 is too long. I can't believe I'm in a situation where I don't own a gun suitable for my needs.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Unfortunately the stock for the 03A3 is too long. I can't believe I'm in a situation where I don't own a gun suitable for my needs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bruce

You picked an airline not suitable for your needs. But if you find the right case it will still work. You only need it to be about 4 inches deep, 44-46 inches long, and then about 6-8 inches high.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:00:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The flunky on the phone said the 62" was L+W+H. I think I'll drop by the airport and ask the desk people just to be sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go to their website. if it does not give specific dimensions, you're GTG. I check in long guns all the time. Never been a problem even after 9/11 TSA fuktardiness
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:36:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Not exactly my experience however for the most part as long as you follow the instructions to the letter you should be fine. I flew to South America with 2 shotguns and it was a damn 3 ring circus once we landed. I would go to the airport 1 hr earlier than you normally would.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:43:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rule #one do not ask the flunky at the airport.  Go to the airlines website and print that shit out.

Said flunky may try to screw with you but stick to your guns and get a supervisor involved and have them look it up.

As some one else said it is more airport dependent than airline dependent.  I have flown four times roundtrip CO to CT.  The first two times I had issues coming back.  

Time one, I had too much ammo.  The idiot in charge behind the counter claimed one 50 round box each of 9mm and 38 was over the limit.  I pulled out a copy that said I could carry up to eleven pounds.  She hemmed and hawed and dicked me around for over an hour but finally after multiple checks of Uniteds computer admitted I could have up to 11 pounds.  She then claimed that my ammo weighed over the limit.  I threw a hundred on the counter and said let's bet.  IF that weighs more than half you can keep the hundred.  If it weighs less than half you apologize and buy me lunch.  She shut up and had her trainee weigh it and left.

Time two, different lady, threw a hissy fit because I had two handguns.  I again pulled out my copy of uniteds flying with firearms policy and it only took 45 minutes to straighten out the problem.  Both times I raised hell with United Corporate.  Evidently a lot of people must have complained because the last two trips have been similar to flying with guns out of Denver.  Is it loaded?  Fill this out put it in the locked case have a nice day off to TSA.

Flying out of DIA having a gun helps speed up the process.  the airlines I have flown out of Denver run you through the ski/odd sized baggage line.  SInce I do not fly during skiing season I think the most I have had in front of me is two people.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:09:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Rule #one do not ask the flunky at the airport.  Go to the airlines website and print that shit out.

Said flunky may try to screw with you but stick to your guns and get a supervisor involved and have them look it up.

As some one else said it is more airport dependent than airline dependent.  I have flown four times roundtrip CO to CT.  The first two times I had issues coming back.  

Time one, I had too much ammo.  The idiot in charge behind the counter claimed one 50 round box each of 9mm and 38 was over the limit.  I pulled out a copy that said I could carry up to eleven pounds.  She hemmed and hawed and dicked me around for over an hour but finally after multiple checks of Uniteds computer admitted I could have up to 11 pounds.  She then claimed that my ammo weighed over the limit.  I threw a hundred on the counter and said let's bet.  IF that weighs more than half you can keep the hundred.  If it weighs less than half you apologize and buy me lunch.  She shut up and had her trainee weigh it and left.

Time two, different lady, threw a hissy fit because I had two handguns.  I again pulled out my copy of uniteds flying with firearms policy and it only took 45 minutes to straighten out the problem.  Both times I raised hell with United Corporate.  Evidently a lot of people must have complained because the last two trips have been similar to flying with guns out of Denver.  Is it loaded?  Fill this out put it in the locked case have a nice day off to TSA.

Flying out of DIA having a gun helps speed up the process.  the airlines I have flown out of Denver run you through the ski/odd sized baggage line.  SInce I do not fly during skiing season I think the most I have had in front of me is two people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never really had the process go the same way twice, even at the same airport, and I fly with long guns several times a year and handguns almost every time I fly.

This last time I brought a full case of .410 shotshells and they didn't even blink.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#11]
**UPDATE**

I took my 42" case to the AA desk at the airport and asked them to take a look at it. They said it would be fine and no extra fees. Hooray!
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I flew on AA a week ago. They are as painless as any other airline. My case never went on the baggage carrosel at my destination. It was tagged with a red lable for "special handling" and was taken directly to a baggage office for the airline. Had to show my ID and baggage tag sticker to get it back...so don't lose those.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See bolded sentence.  Print out not only the TSA regs, but also whatever airline you're flying on regs. Did that after the second time I ended up at an airline check-in and the idiot behind the counter was trying to tell me something other than what their company website states.  After some calm rebuttal from me, she said ok take your chances with TSA. I said I was fine with that. Reason being, my luggage is the lockable hard sided case that the TSA requires.  Sometimes it blows the ticket agent's mind. The one I referenced told me that the lockable hard case had to be inside of a lockable hard case. That was when I realized I was dealing with an idiot and had to take an extra calm approach and make sure I give myself extra time in the future, along with bringing the regs.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:18:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Both flights went great. Checking the rifle in Manchester was completely painless. It got dumped on the belt in DFW for me to claim. . Flying out of DFW went OK but I had to go over to the wheezing TSA goon and wait for him to check out my stuff, but after that it was fine. They actually held the rifle in the baggage office in Manchester but didn't check my ID when I claimed it, just took my word for it. . I feel better now and would have no problem flying with a firearm again. No one gave my case a second look or mentioned the 62" rule.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top