Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2016 8:53:13 PM EDT
I have a fixed  uzi stock  . If I get an Vector uzi   whats involved in installing this .  Thanks Wardawg
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:40:43 AM EDT
[#1]
pretty much remove one screw, and install the fixed stock - not a big deal.

ETA or vice versa.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#2]
True but that "one screw" can be a bear to remove. It may be staked. It may have RED Loctite. It may have BLUE Loctite. It may be buggered. It may be torqued down uber tight.

Proceed methodically and if it doesn't come out easily, be prepared to use a padded vise, long-handled too for leverage, possibly a little heat from a torch and maybe start with an overnight application of Kroil.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Guys be careful doing this. The stock cannot be quick detach - the overall length becomes too short according to the ATF. You can attach a stock but it takes some doing. You have to make it non-quick detach by making/buying a bushing that replaces the folding stock bushing and then inletting the stock. Basically you have to make it so the metal hardware for the fixed stock bolts to the receiver and then screw the stock to the mounting hardware after it is attached. I have done it on mine but it has been a few years.

Here is a thread on Uzitalk about it: http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?57243-School-me-on-QD-wood-stock-legality

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is a walkthrough on what to do:
http://www.uzitalk.com/reference/pages/review-fixedstock.htm

The work is really fairly easy to do if you have some mechanical ability.

Ive intentionally left the links cold. I can't ever remember what the policy is here on linking to other forums.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:32:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guys be careful doing this. The stock cannot be quick detach - the overall length becomes too short according to the ATF. You can attach a stock but it takes some doing. You have to make it non-quick detach by making/buying a bushing that replaces the folding stock bushing and then inletting the stock. Basically you have to make it so the metal hardware for the fixed stock bolts to the receiver and then screw the stock to the mounting hardware after it is attached. I have done it on mine but it has been a few years.  

Here is a thread on Uzitalk about it: http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?57243-School-me-on-QD-wood-stock-legality

View Quote

It can if you have a registered MG or SBR
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I kind of figured that went without saying.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
True but that "one screw" can be a bear to remove. It may be staked. It may have RED Loctite. It may have BLUE Loctite. It may be buggered. It may be torqued down uber tight.

Proceed methodically and if it doesn't come out easily, be prepared to use a padded vise, long-handled too for leverage, possibly a little heat from a torch and maybe start with an overnight application of Kroil.
View Quote

Hand impact driver, $8.99 at Harbor Freight.  http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-37530.html
Have the right tools for the job.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:03:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Well that sucks... I have a izzy woodstock and 12 uzi mags I found in my boxes of junk. I sold an Vector uzi 6 years ago and the guy asked if I wanted it back .He said to make an offer. I figured what I sold it to him for. I think I sold it at $600 or $800 . This was a divorce  sale. But I honestly don't remember . Whats a fair price for this Vector Rifle Uzi . It has the fold out stock . I remember it shot well and the 100 or so rounds I put through it was 100% reliable .   I don't need this rifle or 100% want it . But if he sold it to me for what I sold it to him I would take it back .... I didn't know you couldn't have a quick detach stock on an uzi if it was already deemed an rifle from the factory ... Thanks Wardawg
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:26:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hand impact driver, $8.99 at Harbor Freight.  http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-37530.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you actually used this to remove an UZI folding stock?

Serious question, not a flame.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Well that sucks... I have a izzy woodstock and 12 uzi mags I found in my boxes of junk. I sold an Vector uzi 6 years ago and the guy asked if I wanted it back .He said to make an offer. I figured what I sold it to him for. I think I sold it at $600 or $800 . This was a divorce  sale. But I honestly don't remember . Whats a fair price for this Vector Rifle Uzi . It has the fold out stock . I remember it shot well and the 100 or so rounds I put through it was 100% reliable .   I don't need this rifle or 100% want it . But if he sold it to me for what I sold it to him I would take it back .... I didn't know you couldn't have a quick detach stock on an uzi if it was already deemed an rifle from the factory ... Thanks Wardawg
View Quote
It is really not too hard of a job to convert it to non-quick-detach. The poster below you linked to the site with the pre-made bushing. I think it took me about two hours start to finish, but I made my own bushing (using a regular uzi folder bushing) and used a dremel for the machine work and inletting.

FWIW I paid about $650 for my Vector w/folder that I bought maybe 8-9 years ago. They are selling for a little more now I think. Maybe about $800.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I posted this here and on Uzi Talk, and Uzi talk holds onto stuff much better than this site.

Legally, you have to modify the fixed stock's adapter to eliminate the Quick Detach feature.  In essence you have to use tools to disassemble it, in order for it to not be quick detachable.

The approach I describe in the link uses your original wood stock adapter and, if you desire, your original stock bushing.

It's not all that hard to do.  
1) You shorten your stock bushing (or you can order another one and shorten it so that you can go back to the folding stock if you wish),
2) the adapter has the lug ground off and is then tapped for a pair of new purchased allen screws that are then shortened to the required length,
3) the two stock screw holes in the stock under the receiver are very slightly modified with washers inserted to support the screws, and
4) the stock itself is slightly relieved under the tang to clear the stock to stock bushing screw.  

I've never encountered a stock screw and bushing that would not come apart, but with enough rust, or with a needless application of lock tight anything is possible.  If that was the case and it would not come off, I'd just drill or grind the head of the screw off and order a new one along with a new stock bushing.  The buffer has to be removed as well to remove/replace the bushing and they are a pretty snug press fit.

The method described in the link avoids any drilling, tapping, or modification of your receiver and avoids anything intruding inside the receiver.   Once the adapter is modified, you'll have to remove a wood screw and 2 allen head screws to remove the stock, making it ATF legal, but without altering the appearance of the stock.   It's also more secure than a QD stock with no rattle or play.

Adpating a military issue fixed stock for use with a non-SBR carbine.

Another option I have toyed with is using a piece of wood or wood filler to fill the recess for the stock release lever in the stock, sand it flush with the stock and then drill a small hole through the filler material to allow a tool like a small allen wrench to be inserted to depress the stock's release lever.   It's more or less the CA legal "bullet button" magazine release approach applied to make an Uzi wood stock "fixed".  The downsides are the work involved in making and installing the wood insert, refinishing the stock, and losing the look of the original stock release lever.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Snip
View Quote
Great post. I got a feeling it was your post I saw years years back when I was doing mine.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks guys
WD
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:41:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I have an Uzi a UC-9 and the idiots installed the folding stock off center from the receiver. They staked the bolt and I cant loosen it to try and line it up. This thread is interesting.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I've seen a number of semi Uziz with the steel folder stock discretely welded into a permanently unfolded condition.  Were I to get a semi Uzi , I would probably have this configuration as I find the wood stock too short.

MHO, YMMV, et cetera.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've seen a number of semi Uziz with the steel folder stock discretely welded into a permanently unfolded condition.  Were I to get a semi Uzi , I would probably have this configuration as I find the wood stock too short.

MHO, YMMV, et cetera.
View Quote

Why "weld" the folding stock into the open position? Do you live in a locale where it would be required?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why "weld" the folding stock into the open position? Do you live in a locale where it would be required?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MHO, YMMV, et cetera.

Michigan used to have (and I think they still do) an overall length minimum law for rifles that was measured with the stock folded not open like most states.  A fixed wood stock or welded open folder stock was required to meet their law.   I could now be wrong, and I'm open to updated information.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I have an Uzi a UC-9 and the idiots installed the folding stock off center from the receiver. They staked the bolt and I cant loosen it to try and line it up. This thread is interesting.
View Quote
I actually had a similar problem with the folder on my vector. Something with the receiver was out of spec and the stock wouldn't lock shut. I never could figure out what exactly was off so I installed the fixed stock and stopped caring. The fixed stock makes the gun much more enjoyable IMO.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:32:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I have thought about that but I like how compact it is with the stock folded. I might take it to my Smith and see what he can do with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top