BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like fads. Wasn't long ago ARs were hard to come by, expensive, not all that reliable. Now they are everywhere, reliable with cool stuff to accessorize with.

My next AR will be one of those badass skull lowers with anti walk pins,MBT and the BAD lever.
I'm going to find the longest quad rail, fancy coated BCG and a Zombie Killer dust cover.
Laser/light combo and a nice $300 variable scope.

It's truly a great time to have BRD. Take advantage of it.
View Quote

When was that? 1970?
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

When was that? 1970?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like fads. Wasn't long ago ARs were hard to come by, expensive, not all that reliable. Now they are everywhere, reliable with cool stuff to accessorize with.

My next AR will be one of those badass skull lowers with anti walk pins,MBT and the BAD lever.
I'm going to find the longest quad rail, fancy coated BCG and a Zombie Killer dust cover.

When was that? 1970?

Any time before the great war on terror began if people are honest about it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Fads I hate:  The term "Modern Sporting Rifle" or "MSR."  It irritates me as much as any PC speak out there.   The whole losing strategy of trying to make gun ownership palatable to antis, or tacitly accepting their criteria that a legitimate sporting use is a criterion for ownership.  

People who say that a civilian doesn't need to be able to engage threats at distances farther than inside his home, and any other attitude that shows a fundamental misunderstanding or disagreement with the purpose behind the 2A.  Anybody who says you don't need X, Y, and Z, or such-and-such type of training because you're a civilian.  

People who are horrified at a civilian calling his rifle a "sniper rifle" instead of a "long range precision rifle," or really any PC bullshit that denies the role of the 2A.  

The popularity of the ridiculous gov't profile and M4 profile barrels on the civilian market.  Slavish imitation of military/gov't setups in general.

Heavy/bull barrels for no reason.  

Billet everything, and choosing parts purely for looks.

Guys who build a rifle that looks like it could have been pulled straight out of Afghanistan, and then do nothing but shoot it off the fucking bench at 100 yards.  People who agonize endlessly over fractions of MOA differences in group sizes with fighting rifles.  

People who insist that their shooting technique is the one and only right way for all situations, just because it works well for them in one particular situation that they train for.

People who don't ever take any training and don't understand certain techniques, but who will still freely share their opinions of them or criticism of them.

Whatever that camo is that looks like butterfly/dragonfly wings and is faggoty as hell.  

Referring to handguards as "rails."

Guys who own a badassed mil spec or better fighting rifle all outfitted with high end optics and parts, suppressors, tactical gear, plates, night vision, etc. and talk big about preparedness and the 2A, but who have BMIs north of 30 and can't get off the couch and walk to the mailbox without having to catch their breath.  Incidentally that is why I started this: www.okrunngun.com

Fads I like:  Modular handguards, free float handguards, the comeback of lightweight barrels, nitriding everything, insisting on mil spec or better materials and testing, suppressors, SBRs, night vision, plates, tactical gear, widespread tactical training among the civilian population, the popularity of PRS/sniper matches, Appleseed, Run 'n Gun (see link above).  

Good thread -- it felt good to get that off my chest!  lol.
View Quote

Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning Hench?......You forgot to add companies that won't sell you a new barrel for their products...
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Could be said to support almost every fad listed this far on here. What seems ridiculous to some might seem like the cats meow to others. And this this thread was born.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why do you guys not like the bad lever type devices? I only have it on one rifle but I have never had a problem with it, and it really does simplify things. Are they known for inducing problems?

I had one on a rifle and it started not locking the bolt back after last round. Took it off and never looked back. I've never had a problem since on that rifle.

Because I'd rather have a lower receiver that has the ambi bolt lock built into it like the Mega GTR-3H. It's also not dependent on a set screw working it's way loose off of the OEM bolt catch. To each his own though. If it works then keep it.

Could be said to support almost every fad listed this far on here. What seems ridiculous to some might seem like the cats meow to others. And this this thread was born.

That's why I said: "If it works then keep it." You get it! And I actually like this thread and am glad it was born. Everyone needs to simply relax a bit; sit back; and think about things a bit differently. If someone hates something your rifle has on it, then no problem. Some stuff I have on my go to carbine; has been mentioned as being hated over 10 times on this thread. It just made me think why it works for me and solidifies why I use it, no worries. Some stuff I've never tried but thought about gets mentioned and it makes me think about that particular product more. It's been a helpful thread...
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fads I hate:  The term "Modern Sporting Rifle" or "MSR."  It irritates me as much as any PC speak out there.   The whole losing strategy of trying to make gun ownership palatable to antis, or tacitly accepting their criteria that a legitimate sporting use is a criterion for ownership.
View Quote

Agreed!

Link Posted: 3/29/2016 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When was that? 1970?

Maybe in carbine flavors: I get what you are saying... However, my old all original Colt A2 made in 88' was as reliable as Seattle rain!
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When was that? 1970?

Hardly. Colt and Bushmaster were good to go, had been for some time. If you bought an Eagle Arms or Olympic for whatever, you gambled.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Hardly. Colt and Bushmaster were good to go, had been for some time. If you bought an Eagle Arms or Olympic for whatever, you gambled.
View Quote

This was back in the days when commercial builders had no access to the Technical Design Package, and produced many of their components through reverse engineering.  The only mil spec parts were from companies with goverment contracts.  Even then, Colt was messing around with oddball pin sizes.  During this period of time DPMS and Olympic were producing AL380 cast lowers, and all that mattered was that their parts fit their guns.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

sounds like you want one but can't bring yersef to do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rattlecaned ARs.  Every time I see one, I almost sneeze.  The smell and feel of that paint.. Looking at it is like a chalk board screech.
Good coatings like dura-cera-aluma- whatevera.. Are fine.
But that cheap obnoxious smelling crap on a nice gun.. It's like ketchup on filet mignom.  Don't get me started on trying to make it look like it's been to war after all the work of getting it on there in the first place.

sounds like you want one but can't bring yersef to do it.

Na, Ive done it, and posted photos and evryone says "Awesome, what steps did you take?"  I hate it.  If you do it, and like it, cool.  It's me, not you... Except the "worn" look.  Its like buying jeans with holes in them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#10]
1. Anyone agree with billet receivers? It's like a billet 1911, ya just don't fuck with that design.

2. Costa grip lol.

3. Stickers on lower receivers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

People who say that a civilian doesn't need to be able to engage threats at distances farther than inside his home, and any other attitude that shows a fundamental misunderstanding or disagreement with the purpose behind the 2A.  Anybody who says you don't need X, Y, and Z, or such-and-such type of training because you're a civilian.  

People who are horrified at a civilian calling his rifle a "sniper rifle" instead of a "long range precision rifle," or really any PC bullshit that denies the role of the 2A.  

The popularity of the ridiculous gov't profile and M4 profile barrels on the civilian market.  Slavish imitation of military/gov't setups in general.

Guys who build a rifle that looks like it could have been pulled straight out of Afghanistan, and then do nothing but shoot it off the fucking bench at 100 yards.  People who agonize endlessly over fractions of MOA differences in group sizes with fighting rifles.  

People who insist that their shooting technique is the one and only right way for all situations, just because it works well for them in one particular situation that they train for.

People who don't ever take any training and don't understand certain techniques, but who will still freely share their opinions of them or criticism of them.

Whatever that camo is that looks like butterfly/dragonfly wings and is faggoty as hell.  

Guys who own a badassed mil spec or better fighting rifle all outfitted with high end optics and parts, suppressors, tactical gear, plates, night vision, etc. and talk big about preparedness and the 2A, but who have BMIs north of 30 and can't get off the couch and walk to the mailbox without having to catch their breath.  Incidentally that is why I started this: www.okrunngun.com

Fads I like:  Modular handguards, free float handguards, the comeback of lightweight barrels, nitriding everything, insisting on mil spec or better materials and testing, suppressors, SBRs, night vision, plates, tactical gear, widespread tactical training among the civilian population, the popularity of PRS/sniper matches, Appleseed, Run 'n Gun (see link above).  

View Quote

Just consider this your "safe space."

But you might want to throttle back the caffeine.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't like being an AK guy that's accustomed to poking fun at AR guys for thier silly Barbie dolls and then being tricked by a crafty friend into building my own AR, and now owning 3 AR'S and in the process of building a new one.  BRD is a mutha...

On the flip side I do like run on sentences apparently.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#13]
The only thing I personally don't care for is the Magpul B.A.D. Lever. I wouldn't say I hate it, I just don't want one on my rifle.

I don't really give a shit what anybody else does.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
300 blackout
View Quote

Yeah, that'll never catch on.

Actually, getting a Tavor in 5.56 really soon, and the .300BLK kit at some point this year I hope, and it'll be suppressed.

I'm going to build another 6.8 witth ARP stuff as well. Had to sell it all, but my senator / friend ( cruised town / hung out together in the late 80s ) got me reimbursed and the county had to pay back the over tax to me. Hoping to get the losses and damages started soon. Starting all over.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Fricking Keymod Hanguards and BAD Levers
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Agreed!!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looking through the archive picture threads is a good way to see the trends come and go. Especially the pistol thread. Bare buffer tubes to dedicated pistol tubes to sig brace, back to tubes with cheek rest and stabilizers. Really funny.

Head scratchers:
Spikes on muzzle devices
Magwell Grips
BAD Levers
Distressed finishes

What won't die:
M4 barrel cuts
Forward assists

What interest me:
MLOK

Agreed!!  

While I don't "hate" M4 barrel cuts they serve no visible purpose on any of my builds.  I don't mind them, and the barrels I have bought are otherwise good, I just put up with the M4 cuts because they are ubiquitous.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn. I thought I was cool with my dickmod handguard and phase5 ebr. Oh well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm surprised by all the hate for brakes.  What's not to like about faster follow up shots?  Don't get me wrong, I love flash hiders as well but can see the advantages each provide and calling one or another a fad is a bit far out there.

I'm beginning to realize simple rifles are the way I like them.  Coming from AKs I built my dad a simple dissipator with carry handle sight and A2 stock and I think I enjoyed shooting it just as much or more than a buid I'm working on that will be quit a bit more spendy.  That and the simplicity just screams grab me first in a true SHTF situation and leave that fancy keymod, lightweight bcg, adjustable gas block, billet shit here.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#19]
The word "enhanced" being attached to every new part or accessory that comes out
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 10:29:23 PM EDT
[#20]
All the zombie bullshit is stupid.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I didn't intend this thread to be a bash session or "mine is better because...", just a place to have a little fun and jive each other a bit. As I stated in my first post, I don't think one method or setup is better than any other if it works for the shooter. Just trying to have a little fun with the hobby and see what opinions are out there. This forum would be pretty boring if everyone was into all the same setups and methods. We've all had those eye roll moments which are of course opinions, but they can also be a fun read. I've actually learned from some of the posts in which shooters have explained why they don't like a piece of kit, or why it doesn't work for them. Hope you're not taking the thread the wrong way, because it wasn't my intent and from most of what I've read everyone's been cool with just sharing opinions with the understanding that that is exactly what they are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate threads like this where I say I hate $400 barrels cause my $99 Mossberg shoots sub moa if I do my part, then I tell you about how I spent $2k on a tactical illuminator because I need to make threat assessments at night.  And how I hate a certain gas system because I can correct an issue with a $300 BCG   This whole trucking thread is an oxymoron......

You spend your money how you want and shoot how you want    This place has gone to chit lately

I didn't intend this thread to be a bash session or "mine is better because...", just a place to have a little fun and jive each other a bit. As I stated in my first post, I don't think one method or setup is better than any other if it works for the shooter. Just trying to have a little fun with the hobby and see what opinions are out there. This forum would be pretty boring if everyone was into all the same setups and methods. We've all had those eye roll moments which are of course opinions, but they can also be a fun read. I've actually learned from some of the posts in which shooters have explained why they don't like a piece of kit, or why it doesn't work for them. Hope you're not taking the thread the wrong way, because it wasn't my intent and from most of what I've read everyone's been cool with just sharing opinions with the understanding that that is exactly what they are.

I do apologize I may or may not have had some wild turkey Rare Breed before coming to arfcom last nite.  Do carry on............
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Keymod. Just no.

The infatuation with getting your rifle to weigh one pound it seems.

There is nothing wrong with quad rails.

The race to get the latest and greatest gucci name part on your rifles.

Costa grip. Hell no.

Putting on charging handles that can also qualify for bike handles

Doing everything possible to put parts on your AR to make it not look like an AR at all. Gross.

Link Posted: 3/29/2016 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

Ugh... that's one fad I tried not to hate, but still hate a bit.

I've been into zombie stuff ever since I was younger when I was exposed to Resident Evil and House of the Dead.  So I do have a special place in my heart for the zombie stuff, but I never would go over the top like some people did.  I hate The Walking Dead and blame that show for a big spike in "OMG I LOVE ZOMBIE STUFF" stuff.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 11:58:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've been into zombie stuff ever since I was younger when I was exposed to Resident Evil and House of the Dead.  So I do have a special place in my heart for the zombie stuff, but I never would go over the top like some people did.  I hate The Walking Dead and blame that show for a big spike in "OMG I LOVE ZOMBIE STUFF" stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it's the whole SHTF fad in general.  If SHTF you're going to need water and food more than guns and bullets.  Not that you wont want guns and bullets, but since they are cooler people put more preference on stocking up on them than focusing on other basic fundamentals if they really are worried about a SHTF scenario..
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:36:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

This x100000
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're crazy. That was gold. As far as caffeine... seemed totally calm and on the level to me...
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 1:07:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Keymod/MLOK... An the whole Costa grab the muzzle device to shoot BS.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 1:35:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Costa grip what people should hate

"Costa grip" what people should do

I hate:
Magwell grips
45 offset sights in conjunction with non-magnified optics
Bi-pods with forward grips on non SPR or Recce rifles
Black Rain Ordnance
Red X Arms
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 4:38:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 5:54:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The whole flat top thing. I cant wait for everyone to get over it and start making A1 and A2 uppers again.
View Quote

Yep. Me to.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 6:29:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
You're crazy. That was gold. As far as caffeine... seemed totally calm and on the level to me...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.

It read like a super long haiku.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Laser engraving, for the look at me crowd.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#33]
tactical Livestrong bracelets on stocks

lul

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:58:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Anyone that just can't accept someone might like something different with their AR.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Oh, and the costa grip.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Costa grip what people should hate
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee413/infidel4life11/costa.jpg

"Costa grip" what people should do
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee413/infidel4life11/jerry2.jpg
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee413/infidel4life11/jerry3.jpg
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee413/infidel4life11/jerry4.jpg

I hate:
Magwell grips
45 offset sights in conjunction with non-magnified optics
Bi-pods with forward grips on non SPR or Recce rifles
Black Rain Ordnance
Red X Arms
View Quote

You expect me to believe that some old codger knows how to shoot better than the beard??

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

People who see dicks on everything.

Dickmod handguard, two dicks touching on the Spikes lower, dick stamped uppers I've heard a couple of times.  Maybe it's just a Freudian slip, but I still fail to see dicks on any of these things

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a word for that...gosh darn what was it now...

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Dickmod handguard, two dicks touching on the Spikes lower, dick stamped uppers I've heard a couple of times.  Maybe it's just a Freudian slip, but I still fail to see dicks on any of these things

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would warehouse shelving apply better then as opposed to the edgy termed dickmod? Either way, it looks gross on a rifle.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that shit gets old fast. I had keymod but ended up not liking it for a few reasons, none of which had to do with seeing dicks .
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Would warehouse shelving apply better then as opposed to the edgy termed dickmod? Either way, it looks gross on a rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe saying I don't like the keymod because it looks bad would suffice.  I'm a little concerned with how invested some of you are in your hate for keymod.  It's really not that big of a deal, other people using things that you don't personally like the looks of shouldn't offend you as much as it does.  Choose your battles.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't hate any of the fads. However, I may shake my head and think it pointless. But for anyone who owned these things during the dark ages, this time of ownership is pretty bad ass.

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm the one that didn't post a lengthy diatribe about why I hate what people choose to do/how they spend their money, and I'm crazy? OK.
I will admit that there were some kernels of truth there, but then again even a broken clock......
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I believe saying I don't like the keymod because it looks bad would suffice.  I'm a little concerned with how invested some of you are in your hate for keymod.  It's really not that big of a deal, other people using things that you don't personally like the looks of shouldn't offend you as much as it does.  Choose your battles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps this site isn't for you then. I've gotten into several arguments with people here observing that seeing the keymod is a deal breaker fr me and they still got upset.  Either calling it what it looks like or even saying it's proper name yet giving any negatives will still invoke fantard retaliations.

I'm not going to argue with control freaks. Keymod will never be for me and it does look gross.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#45]
I have settled on the below for my ARs.
I do have ACOGs on a couple but the below works for me.

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
tactical Livestrong bracelets on stocks

lul

http://www.breachbangclear.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/refactorband4.jpg
View Quote

Side folding stocks on ARs that require buffers/tubes/springs to function
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#47]

I guess I never see fads in real life.

I have a 20" A2 from Stag Arms......I put a sling on it.

I have M&P 15T...I put an Aimpoint M3 on it.

Two weeks ago I was shooting with some buddies in my backyard and it went something like this:

"You can shoot first"
"I think you're hitting a little high"
"Oh, thanks, I haven't finished sighting this in"
"Did one of you fart?"
"How do you like "XYZ" sight"
"What time are we planning to grill"
"Damn it, so and so is here, you know he's going to tell us about Nam."
"Dude, now you're hitting high and to the right, look at the fucking holes in the earth."

Normal, insightful, constructive conversation while standing in one area and shooting some targets. No looking for threats or tactical rolling around in the grass. No reverse holding the grip or any do dads hanging about. One guy did have some perhaps unnecessary add ons, but it is his gun and he likes it so, I don't care.

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Fad devices? Don't care...buy whatever you can afford.

I guess my only "beef" is with the shooters themselves.

-"Tacticool Joe" shows up to the range head to toe in tac gear...weighs 300+ lbs, can't jog 10' without collapsing.

-"Newb top end gear-guy" that pulls out some $3500 custom rifle, can't figure out how to cycle a round into the thing.

-"Amateur range cop" guy that annoys the shit out of everyone yelling useless range commands like he owns the joint.

-"The perfectionist", the guy who props his turn-bolt rifle into a lead sled, cleans his barrel between every shot and calls a damn ceasefire every 5 min so he can walk 100 yds to see exactly how his group is coming along.

-"always in training" guy who does his draw/fire/tuck-pistol/look around routine with every shot.

-"Chatty-Cathy" that would rather BS with you the entire time rather than shoot.

-"Gangsta guy" that shoots every round out of a pistol held sideways or a rifle shot from the hip.

-"Dirty Harry", the guy who brings a monster loud handgun to a short distance pistol range and blasts the shit out of everyone's eardrums. Shooting something like a S&W 460XVR under a metal awning and at 10yds.

These people annoy me more than any item ever would...
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

"You can shoot first"
"Did one of you fart?"
"Dude, now you're hitting high and to the right, look at the fucking holes in the earth."

View Quote
Sounds like some of the hometown shoots I have been to
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"You can shoot first"

"Did one of you fart?"

Ha!

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top