Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 4/6/2016 7:18:58 PM EDT
From "overloaded" guns with all manner of gadgets, to the C-clamp grip and everything in between, which AR fad has annoyed you guys the most? I know many fads arise from new training techniques and what works from shooter to shooter, but we've all got a few in mind that have us scratching our heads. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with any rifle setup or shooting style, but which aspects of the AR world do you all dislike, and why? Not meant to be a flame thread, just a place to post some annoyances or impressions all in fun. For me it's the mag flip, and looking at the chamber after firing the last round. Maybe it's my training style or the fact that I'm a lefty, but I haven't really gotten into those. Since I shoot a lot in the dark, I rely on tactile feedback from the rifle instead of looking at the chamber.  What rifle mods or styles have had y'all saying "nah I'll pass"?  
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#2]
For me it's the magpul bolt release lever gizmo or any variation from company to company. I just personally don't like them at all....
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#3]
muzzle brakes or comps

they belong on competition rifles or very large calibers

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't pay too much attention to things that others use or what could be considered a fad. Each of these rifles is specific to what individual owns it, if it may work for them and what role they want. More power to them if some little item or combination of items satisfies them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Only the feud between keymod and Mlok.  Dear goodness they are the same thing.  Sure they attach a little differently, but 90% of the argument is on esthetics.  Honestly, it's the dumbest thing ever to listen to and shows that times must be good when you are arguing which style looks better because they both function about the same, yes I own both.  You know the best one, the one that's selling the cheapest.  The only benefit of either one is that they are lighter and more comfortable than quad rails.  There! That rant has been building for days, next up how all your brands are basically of equal quality.  Thanks for the therapy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#6]
It seems the chicken wing has been reversed with the thumb over bore "reverse chicken wing."

But whatever, I don't care. Most of my guns and gear are tacticool circa 1990 something.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#7]
The Costa grip is the worst, anything else I can tolerate.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
None, I use what I use, and teach what I teach, and don't care what others do.

If they aren't on my shift and squad, close friends, or part of my family, they will never have an impact.  Therefore, no care what the youtube goofs are doing for views.
View Quote

Very well stated!!  I concur..................I judge not thee, tho I do giggle at thee sometimes
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#9]
anti roll pins.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Those lowers that are in the shape of a skull.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I will say this, in the past twelve years of building and owning ARs, I have seen a lot of fads come and go. I have seen many a guy buy the newest gadgets that come out. A lot of this stuff being junk. For many, it is a matter of being "tacticool" to the point of absurdity. I have tried new things like the MAGPUL B.A.D. lever shortly after it came out. I use one of three of my ARs. I like using tried and true products. I do not like to have a bunch of crap hanging all over any of my ARs. It has to be there for a totally useful and valid purpose. One thing I refuse to hang off any AR I own is a laser. A weaponlight is worthy, but not a laser. These days, we have a lot of newcomers to the AR platform and they think they have to have the latest gizmos on their ARs and they never think about how useful it will actually be. Fads will be fads, but any useful item will go the distance.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 11:08:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I bit on the keymod thing.    I not sure i could ever go back to a cheese grater rail.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 11:24:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Rattlecaned ARs.  Every time I see one, I almost sneeze.  The smell and feel of that paint.. Looking at it is like a chalk board screech.
Good coatings like dura-cera-aluma- whatevera.. Are fine.
But that cheap obnoxious smelling crap on a nice gun.. It's like ketchup on filet mignom.  Don't get me started on trying to make it look like it's been to war after all the work of getting it on there in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 11:33:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I will say this, in the past twelve years of building and owning ARs, I have seen a lot of fads come and go. I have seen many a guy buy the newest gadgets that come out. A lot of this stuff being junk. For many, it is a matter of being "tacticool" to the point of absurdity. I have tried new things like the MAGPUL B.A.D. lever shortly after it came out. I use one of three of my ARs. I like using tried and true products. I do not like to have a bunch of crap hanging all over any of my ARs. It has to be there for a totally useful and valid purpose. One thing I refuse to hang off any AR I own is a laser. A weaponlight is worthy, but not a laser. These days, we have a lot of newcomers to the AR platform and they think they have to have the latest gizmos on their ARs and they never think about how useful it will actually be. Fads will be fads, but any useful item will go the distance.
View Quote

I agree.  I bought a BAD and liked it okay, but didn't fall in love with it.  Then I put one on one of my scoped ARs and it work really well when shooting prone if I wanted to drop the mag and hold the bolt back to swap loads.  It worked well enough I put another one on another scoped rifle I had.

About the only tacticool item I use A LOT is hand stops.  Some folks don't need them, but I like mine and use them

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 11:56:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Grip-Pods
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 12:05:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Very well stated!!  I concur..................I judge not thee, tho I do giggle at thee sometimes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they aren't on my shift and squad, close friends, or part of my family, they will never have an impact.  Therefore, no care what the youtube goofs are doing for views.

me too
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 12:21:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 12:25:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Costa grip is the worst.
View Quote

+1
I am a simple casual shooter.  I don't have any illusions of being an uber-ninja.  Don't have a clue if there is, or is not any advantage to this grip style, but as a personal pet peeve from tacticool youtube videos it ranks at the top of my list...next to operator impersonators...and "scanning for hostiles".  

As far as doodads and what-nots, meh.  I like functionally simple.  Some people like their guns to look like an erector set.  I just proves money doesn't always equal taste.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 12:41:32 AM EDT
[#20]
If some spent as much time on training and ammo with the rifle, instead of worrying about dressing them up as prom queens that they take out once a year...........Ahhh  never mind.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 12:58:01 AM EDT
[#21]
For me it's the tactical head whip. You know, shoot a target to bolt lock, whip head side to side.
I saw a force-on-force exercise where a guy shot one bad guy, did the tactical head whip, and missed the second guy standing in front of him, pointing a gun at his head. It's not the head movement that's important, you have to actually look around. I've never seen anyone look around by whipping their head back and forth.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:04:38 AM EDT
[#22]
There's a few things I like such as the lightweight stuff or anything that increases the reliability or function of the weapon. Little things like forward grips are useless (it's like adding a tactical steering wheel cover that's comfy). Never used one once in the Army. People wearing tacti-cool gear for no reason at the range is also stupid.

I don't think I really need to say why. It's pretty self explanatory.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:14:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:19:55 AM EDT
[#24]
The whole flat top thing. I cant wait for everyone to get over it and start making A1 and A2 uppers again.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:26:28 AM EDT
[#25]
mag-flips.

dumb.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:57:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Pig tail gas tubes
Magwell grips
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:31:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Stop watching me shoot off the bench.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's a few things I like such as the lightweight stuff or anything that increases the reliability or function of the weapon. Little things like forward grips are useless (it's like adding a tactical steering wheel cover that's comfy). Never used one once in the Army. People wearing tacti-cool gear for no reason at the range is also stupid.

I don't think I really need to say why. It's pretty self explanatory.

Stop watching me shoot off the bench.

Lol. I just don't feel like wearing surplus ACU/multicam is even necessary unless you hunt animals....or humans.

Just saying.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 7:02:16 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't care much for "fad bits and pieces". YouTube and the like have little to no effect on what I use or try.
What does piss me off is the junk parts and optics that have flooded the market, A newbie buys a $79 optic then complains about it for weeks.
I have little to no use for the ultra lightweight fad either, I see little to no use for a 4.5 pound shipped and milled out carbine.

Do what you do, use what you use.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Brand-snobbery.
Thumb over bore grip.
Anything totally "3-gun" on a rifle not used for 3-gun.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 7:23:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Anything zombie.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#31]
I can't wait for quad rail to come back into fashion. I've got 14" DD hand guard that has rail for days!

56 liner inches of rail! Plus rail on the upper! Whooooooo!
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Windowed Magazines!!!, more specifically the magazines that enable guys to fire a few rounds then rotate rifle look down and check the window to see how many more rounds to go before they must do a "tactical reload drill" or transition to sidearm. They then have to (as mentioned above) whip head back and forth simulating scanning over each shoulder. Next they must of course go home and upload pics to their favorite shooting forum to gather opinions on weather or not their Charging Handle may be prematurely wearing because after the 250 rounds total that they've fired you can see about a millimeter's worth of aluminum showing through near the latch. While people are weighing in on the CH wear issue they are obligated to go over to Facebook and upload pics of their range trip #YOLO. Then back to the shooting forum to start a second thread on the concern that after the 250 rounds they are worried that their tier 1 rifle with NIB BCG, BSA red dot, and a bi pod may be over gassed.

On second thought maybe it's not the windowed mags. Maybe it's the d-bag that bought them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Ive been ARing since the 80's  I bought a Colt Hbar  first in 86 . I now currently have still the Hbar A2 , Colt A1 , Colt 6920 , Colt 901 , and a CMMG 18" Middie light weight for my wife and daughter. Nothing has been changed on any of these rifles from the factory. I like them as is.  I shot my first AR with the help of my dad  about 1974 .  I was born in 1967 .  Im a fucken FUD  
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#34]
I like fads. Wasn't long ago ARs were hard to come by, expensive, not all that reliable. Now they are everywhere, reliable with cool stuff to accessorize with.

My next AR will be one of those badass skull lowers with anti walk pins,MBT and the BAD lever.
I'm going to find the longest quad rail, fancy coated BCG and a Zombie Killer dust cover.
Laser/light combo and a nice $300 variable scope.

It's truly a great time to have BRD. Take advantage of it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#35]
I am hoping the whole AR fad goes away and a good solid gun becomes the new fad.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Those "shrouded" muzzle break things... The fuck? I mean really... lol

Reminds me of that meme... "Yo dawg we heard you like muzzle breaks. So we put a muzzle break on yo muzzle break"
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I am hoping the whole AR fad goes away and a good solid gun becomes the new fad.
View Quote

haha...  yeah, and I keep hoping people will get over this football fad soon...
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 9:23:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Over the top, engraved port doors.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very true. To each his own.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Costa grip
Bad lever and some other magpul crap
Grip pod
Mag grips
Lasers
Cheap plastic sights
Nc star anything
Tapco
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#42]
One of you has this.  Show us a pic.

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't give a shit what someone else does to their rifle. With that said; I don't give a shit about someone elses opinion when it comes to my rifles. What works for me, works for me. But may not work for someone else.

I don't care if anyone likes Keymod, or Mlok.
I don't care if anyone likes that my suppressed rifles have anti-rotating pins in them.
I don't care if anyone likes the stock I'm using, or the grip.
I don't care if anyone likes, or doesn't like that I use barrels that don't say Noveske on them.

I just don't care. My rifle is my rifle, and your rifle is your rifle. And we all know about opinions.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#44]
What xtreme said
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

For me it's the magpul bolt release lever gizmo or any variation from company to company. I just personally don't like them at all....
View Quote

This.  BAD lever is well named.

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I don't give a shit what someone else does to their rifle. With that said; I don't give a shit about someone elses opinion when it comes to my rifles. What works for me, works for me. But may not work for someone else.

I don't care if anyone likes Keymod, or Mlok.
I don't care if anyone likes that my suppressed rifles have anti-rotating pins in them.
I don't care if anyone likes the stock I'm using, or the grip.
I don't care if anyone likes, or doesn't like that I use barrels that don't say Noveske on them.

I just don't care. My rifle is my rifle, and your rifle is your rifle. And we all know about opinions.
View Quote

Well stated sir.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Windowed Magazines!!!, more specifically the magazines that enable guys to fire a few rounds then rotate rifle look down and check the window to see how many more rounds to go before they must do a "tactical reload drill" or transition to sidearm. They then have to (as mentioned above) whip head back and forth simulating scanning over each shoulder. Next they must of course go home and upload pics to their favorite shooting forum to gather opinions on weather or not their Charging Handle may be prematurely wearing because after the 250 rounds total that they've fired you can see about a millimeter's worth of aluminum showing through near the latch. While people are weighing in on the CH wear issue they are obligated to go over to Facebook and upload pics of their range trip #YOLO. Then back to the shooting forum to start a second thread on the concern that after the 250 rounds they are worried that their tier 1 rifle with NIB BCG, BSA red dot, and a bi pod may be over gassed.

On second thought maybe it's not the windowed mags. Maybe it's the d-bag that bought them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#48]

I go for minimalist.

Top two are my class rifles.

Bottom is a build for my gf so she can come with.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

We have different versions of minimal.

Not on your builds but in general Kryptech is a fad that I think is stupid as hell.  

Basically anything that makes an AR look like a trendy toy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Not on your builds but in general Kryptech is a fad that I think is stupid as hell.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Kryptek was BOGO and I like the Vickers slings

I got 4 for 110 bucks, I'll take cheap over tacky.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top