Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2016 6:32:20 PM EDT
really interested in getting one of these.

what with the steyr scope rings and leupold scout scope, I'm looking at a little north of 2K.

anybody had experience with one?

what are your impressions?

worth it or did michael douglas in "beyond the reach" lead me astray?

eta: .308 caliber.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one of the first production models, the jeff cooper edition.
It was pretty slick and really light. The bold indexed really fast if you did it correctly.

Loved that rifle, just couldnt justify keeping it for the cost.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#2]
i've had a steyr scout in .308 since '04 i think.

i swapped out the black stock with a factory hd cammo, the gun was about $1500, the stock about $100.

i don't run a 'scout' scope on it, i've a primary arms 1x4 illuminated..  the idea being when i'm out in the woods i can leave it at 1x for snap-shots, get a blind or setup and zoom in if i need.

i've hunted with it once, but that's because i have no real time available during hunting season to go,  it does, however, punch paper really really well.

it's light, maneuverable and having the extra mag stored in the stock is pretty handy, the action on mine is smooth and i really like the trigger.

the only real thing i wish it had was enough meat on the end of the barrel for threads

i don't think i'd get the 223 model, at least for hunting in michigan

almost forgot, i ended up with mid height QD scope rings to accommodate the scope on mine being further back due to the standard eye relief, so the bolt handle would clear..

this site has a ton of useful info:
http://www.steyrscout.org/project.htm

when i got my replacement stock, i couldn't figure out how to get the last part free, i emailed the guy at like 10pm on a friday and he got back to me within about 10 minutes with the answer.. pretty awesome
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I always liked the Steyr Scout Jeff Cooper rifle.  I'm a big fan of Steyr firearms.  I just don't think I would justify buying one for the cost when you can get a newer scout rifle for much less.

Ruger GSR is a great option and Grabagun had them for well under $700 for the synthetic versions.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always liked the Steyr Scout Jeff Cooper rifle.  I'm a big fan of Steyr firearms.  I just don't think I would justify buying one for the cost when you can get a newer scout rifle for much less.

Ruger GSR is a great option and Grabagun had them for well under $700 for the synthetic versions.
View Quote

the concept is good, but I could also take a old mauser and do the same for 5x as less. the only advantage of the steyr imho cutouts in the bolt to keep it running in sub-freezing temps.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I had one of the first production models, the jeff cooper edition.
It was pretty slick and really light. The bold indexed really fast if you did it correctly.

Loved that rifle, just couldnt justify keeping it for the cost.
View Quote

Same here.  Swapped to thin reticle and 10rnd conv.

FWIW, mine would lock up with surplus ammo.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I would rather have the Ruger myself.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:07:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Would love to try one someday... wonder how well they shoot.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I have always liked them.  I have wanted one in .308 for years now, but haven't pulled the trigger.  If I was to get one, I probably wouldn't use it in the scout configuration.

I already have a Yugo Mauser in the scout configuration, and I am lukewarm about scout scopes in general.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#9]
the concept is good, but I could also take a old mauser and do the same for 5x as less
View Quote

A couple of years ago I was thinking of modifying a Mauser, however when I put pen to paper to figure out what needed to be done, that major "savings" began to dwindle.  It wasn't as much the cost of parts as it was the gunsmithing fees.

My design called for:

Replacing the 8mm barrel with a light profile .308 barrel.  A new front sight would also be required and mounted.

A nice aftermarket stock.

A low profile XS style scout mount - the models I've seen that sat on the old rear sight mounts sat way too high.  It should allow for use of open sights when the scope is removed, or co-witness with an RDS.

A rear peep sight similar to that on an AR.  Either a large /small aperture combination or two apertures calibrated to shorter/ longer distances.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I have owned one for a dozen years or more. It is despite its weight a very accurate rifle running one moa consistent with good ammo. And talking about consistent I zeroed it once and with my preferred load it shoots to my point of aim no matter the conditions hot cold wet dry etc. a very impressive rifle
Are there a fe lighter rifles out there yes some more accurate of course but it would be hard to beat its combination of light and accurate
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:16:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had a Cooper edition since they came out. It's been very accurate for the scope and how light it is. Good walking around rig. It's also pretty loud and kicks hard for a 308. Not sure it's worth the price, but I like it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I will be the fly in the punch bowl.

The whole "scout" concept is well past the age of useful.

Without question, a compact, lightweight carbine in a cartridge like a .308 is a great general  purpose piece, but the requirements to be able to use stripper clips, BUIS's, and such are more theory than realy, from my experience. I have yet to see a guy have a scope fail, then take the scope off and continue to hunt or whatever, with just irons.

I had to qual on the M24 sniper system, to include irons. After that though, I never, ever saw a person use irons on a bolt gun.

In today's world, a lightweight AR in .308 makes much more sense. a Larue PredatAR in 7.62 will do what the concept of the scout was envisioned to do by Cooper (except make weight).

Personally, my favorite hunting rifle is a 20" Tikka T3, .308 with a compact Nightforce 2.5-10, mounted in the traditional spot. Great rifle and has accounted for a good number of elk and deer in the last 7-8 years I have had it. It is the very last hunting rifle I would let go.

If I wanted to go "all in" on the scout concept, I would get a Larue 7.62 PredatAR, mount a compact scope on it and be done.

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think I would rather have the Ruger myself.
View Quote

I've had both the Steyr and the Ruger. The Steyr has a super-smooth action and is extremely well made, and easy to carry around. It's light weight and (IMO) poor buttpad design makes it more uncomfortable to shoot than a lightweight .45-70 (had a couple of those, too). The Ruger is much more comfortable to shoot if like me, you like to put ~100rds through the gun when you go blasting with it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is another scout option.

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/blr/blr-black-label-takedown-16-inch-barrel.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top