Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2015 3:39:44 PM EDT
I am trying a 6.8 out now, but have yet to contact lead with fur.  However, I realize 6.8 has serious range limits over the 270.  I may get a 270 next year and am looking for options.

I want cheap and accurate with Hornandy Superformance type ammo.  I don't mind other ammo as long as it approached 3200fps.  At least a 22" barrel.  I don't need a benchrest gun, but a good power line gun capable of MOA.

I have family that loves the pump action Remingtons for dual purpose dog/still hunting.  I see nothing wrong with them other than they are not bipod friendly for shooting houses.  They don't like the Remington autos, but say the BAR is a good auto.  The BAR is more than I want to spend.

I have heard Marlin (EDIT Mossberg Patriot) and Savage have good economy bolt actions.  Sounds interesting and would be half the Remington pumps cost.  I had debated AR10, but it just does not shoot much flatter than 6.8 and costs more money (I could just buy a BAR).  I do have a 30 cal silencer though.  It would be neat if I had a gun I could put that on, but I bet skinny barreled 24" bolt guns would not react well to a 20 oz can on the end.

Whats a good, cheap tack driver for 400-600 yard deer hunting?  Under $500 if possible.  I don't mind playing with factory ammo to find MOA accuracy among Hornady, Doubletap, Nosler, and other premier lines.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#1]
My .270 needs are handled by a Rem 700 or a Win M70. I'm 100% positive that both Savage and Ruger also make a fine bolt action rifle, but i f I was going to buy one today, it would still be the 700 or M70. With money being a factor, I would lean toward the Remington. There are a multitude of models at all price ranges.

Either one would also make a fine base for a custom project in the future.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Rem. 300, Win. 70, or Ruger
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm very happy with this one here, Mossberg Patriot, Walnut Stock, Vortex Scope  and I got it for less than $550.00. I bought it a couple of months ago and took three deer with it this season. Considering the price, I think it's a pretty good looking rifle. I have a little concern over the durability of the finish on the barrel, but only time will tell on that.

I did replace the recoil pad with a grind to fit Kickeeze. After going through about 30 rounds at the range, I was starting to feel it.

Using Ted Nugent 130gr, I easily and consistently grouped sub MOA with it when I zeroed it. I wish I had access to more than a 100 yd range so I could stretch it's legs a bit more.

If you get the plastic stocked non scoped versions, the price is much lower. Well under your stated budget.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Get an older Rem700 or Win70!  Don't get new off brand crap like Savage, Ruger, etc...  An old wood stock/blued 700 in 270win NEVER let me down!
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:12:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Tikka or Howa.  Very good quality at a very good price.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:34:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Used Remington 700 ADL in .270, or used Winchester Model 70 in .270.  Widely available and reasonably priced.  You might need a 24" or longer barrel to see the advertised velocity of the Superformance ammo, and most rifles will be 22".  Good 130 grain handloads at max pressures are usually 3100-3150 from a 22" barrel.  Don't put too much value in advertised ballistics. They are usually from long test barrels.

600 yard deer hunting is exceeding the retained energy requirements for big game with a .270, not to mention the skill of most hunters and their equipment.  It is marginal for whitetail deer at 600, subeffective on mule deer and inadequate for elk at those ranges.

A true one MOA rifle would be needed at 600 yards with perfect wind doping, no elevation error and perfect aim to make an ethical shot.  I hunt quite a bit with the .280 Remington, which uses the same '06 based case as the .270, with a .284" bullet versus .277".  The case shoulder is moved forward .050" to prevent accidental loading of the larger bullet in a .270 chamber.  Thus, the case has a few grains more powder capacity, and can get up to 100 fps more velocity, especially with heavier bullets.  Even so, in a 24" barrel, I still limit shots to 400 yards, alhough it is a custom blueprinted and trued Remington 700 barreled action in a McMillan stock and shoots 3/4 MOA with Barnes 140 grain TSX bullets. These are not magnum rifles and don't have the downrange retained energy of a 7mm mag or .300 mag.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 1:00:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Tikka t3 lite if you don't mind detachable box mags in a hunting rifle
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 1:59:32 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want a decent new gun for cheeeeeeap:http://www.slickguns.com/product/mossberg-100-atr-bolt-action-270-winchester-centerfire-23749-499-sh

I you want a decent, nay, extremely well made but used gun that costs pennies on the dollars spent sporterizing it : http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=528181651
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=527661748
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I will recommend the Savage 116 Weather Warrior.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I know a couple guys who have bought Savage Axis rifles and said they are GTG.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:21:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
this

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Get an older Rem700 or Win70!  Don't get new off brand crap like Savage, Ruger, etc...  An old wood stock/blued 700 in 270win NEVER let me down!
View Quote

I wouldn't state it as strongly as this, but don't be afraid of a used rifle.  Look it over good and hard; check the bore (have them run a patch if it doesn't look almost new).  It's not hard.  Look at it with the "there's something wrong with it; I just need to look hard enough" attitude.  If what you find is small potatoes, then have at it.

OP:  Hate to be an ass, but the fact that you're asking this question tells me you have no business shooting at live game past 300yds.

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have to be shitting me.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Savage makes a great rifle for the money.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

these two and the Weatherby Vanguard, which is a Howa 1500 action with a slightly longer barrel and a better stock
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 6:37:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Tikka t3
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 12:04:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I've been using a Savage 111 in .270 since I was 16y/o and it's never failed me. 130gr Federal Power-Shok groups with 3 shots touching at 100m with shots 4 and 5 about a half inch out. Everything I've shot with it has died pretty damn fast (except one buffalo;  should've stepped up to 150gr). Mine is a pre Accutrigger type but the standard trigger is pretty decent.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 2:54:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Savage makes a good budget rifle. It may "feel" cheap but they shoot well.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:06:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Around here you can pick up cheap used .270's all over the place.  For whatever reason people buy one and then either move up to the 30-06 (elk) or down to something flatter shooting (antelope).  Thus a nice Rem 700 or Win 70 can be had very reasonably.

For new, you can pick up a Savage Axis II or Ruger American for right around $300.    For a bit less you can pick up the original Savage Axis.  (all of these have a 22 inch barrel)

Axis II has the accutrigger, original Axis does not.   Trigger upgrade is worth it IMHO.  Some folks don't like the inset blade type triggers, but they feel like a 2-stage trigger in use, which I greatly prefer.   The Ruger American has a bit stiffer stock, and it's a bit more refined feeling.  I have a Ruger American Predator in .243 as a dedicated coyote rifle.  Accuracy is better than me...

The Mossberg is getting good reviews, but I haven't handled any.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 2:43:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OP:  Hate to be an ass, but the fact that you're asking this question tells me you have no business shooting at live game past 300yds.

View Quote

When I say  400-600 yards, I'm not saying a minimum of 400 yards.  I am saying my MAX range would be 400 - 600 and I don't know where in this range I would draw the line until I have a rifle in hand and practice on the hunting property. This is for shoot houses on power lines, massive fields, and shooting lanes.  If I was just propping up on a tree and guessing hold over, then no I should not be shooting beyond 250 yards.  I have shot NRA high power at 200 open sights and I can attest that the standing string kicked my butt.  My only standing X ever was....on the wrong target, but I did always keep everything in the rings.  

Distances would be ranged and known, rifle would be bagged at both ends or at least bipod front, bag rear (yes I am lazy and like props).  I would be able to practice during the summer.  I have shot 4 continuous groups under 0.87 moa before from bipod only.  If you think 270 cant get me to 400 yards, then I don't know as much about terminal ballistics as I thought.  270 at 400 should be terminally superior to my 6.8spc at 100-200 yards. If you say 270 is not good to 600 yards, then I bet you are right and therefore I agree...no argument.  I have only studied the 6.8 forums and shot .223 and 6.8 with factory ammo, so 270win ballistics are foreign to me, but light years ahead of my lil 6.8.  

I consider my 6.8 limited to 300 yards with 95gr TTSX or 120SST's and that requires a prop and hold over through a BDC scope.  250 is a realistic field range for the 6.8 with 2800fps 95gr TTSX's, but I consider it a dog hunting gun anyway so 50-100 yards is more common.  I just figured getting my own 270 and getting familiar with it would be better than borrowing my relatives and just going by their "zeroed 2" high at 100 yards" claim.

So now the question.  What is the range limit for a 1 - 1.25 moa 270 with factory ammo and a stable shooting position on whitetail?  My relatives claim sub moa groups with their Remington pump 270's, but they never measure..... They have, however, been known to pull a head shot at 200- 225 and a neck spine shot at 175 - 200 though cause in each case that was all they could see under antlers and over cover.  I call those hard shots in the field.

Should I be thinking 7 mag or 300 mag?  I REALLY don't like pain and punishment though.  Reloading a .280 is not in my stars either.  30-06 to me is more energy, but at the expense of more bullet drop.

and also, if a yote or hog wanders out, I honestly don't mind lobbing at 1000 yards with a sheeps chance in Iran of hitting anything. Yotes kill our pets, turkeys, and deer.  Hogs... well...farmers here would get mad if we did NOT try to kill every one we see even if not humanely.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 2:52:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Reloading a .280 is not in my stars either.  
View Quote

I assumed (wrongly) that the only reason you were interested in the 270 was because you already loaded for the 6.8 and therefore wanted to keep to one bullet diameter.

For distance I'd rather have a 25-05 than a 270.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 3:01:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I assumed (wrongly) that the only reason you were interested in the 270 was because you already loaded for the 6.8 and therefore wanted to keep to one bullet diameter.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reloading a .280 is not in my stars either.  

I never see 280 ammo on a shelf locally.  Not that I don't mind ordering online as that is how I buy ALL my hunting ammo.  However, I have not seen factory 280 ammo that outruns hot 270 win.  I believe 140gr .284 bullets to be equal or superior to 130gr .277's though. Both have BC's well over 0.400 with "enough" sectional density for deer.

I know gas stations in Chickasaw county that keep 270, 30-06,and 308 on the shelves next to motor oil.

Question...why 25-06 over a 270? Sure it kicks less, but by the time you get to the heavier 25-06 bullets, the velocity has dropped to slower than a 270 with similar BC.  UNLESS you reloaders can get more out of it than us cheaperthandirt.com guys.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 5:02:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Just about everyone has the bolt action figured out and most of the lower end guns are surprisingly good.  I run a Ruger American in 308 and am perfectly happy with it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a Marlin XL7 that was cheap as hell and I can hit steel targets at 200 yards with. Tack driver? No but its a good tool for deer.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 12:30:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Question...why 25-06 over a 270? Sure it kicks less, but by the time you get to the heavier 25-06 bullets, the velocity has dropped to slower than a 270 with similar BC.  UNLESS you reloaders can get more out of it than us cheaperthandirt.com guys.
View Quote

The BCs are higher across the board, along with sectional density.  You should see a 3-4" difference in bullet drop at 400 yards.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Just keep in mind that you're not on a fixed distance range anymore, and you'll be shooting from positions that are seldom better than mediocre.  I do pretty well at NRA highpower, but can't see myself taking a shot much past 300--about half the distance I'm confident at when I'm on the range.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Opening Poster here

Quoted:
Just keep in mind that you're not on a fixed distance range anymore, and you'll be shooting from positions that are seldom better than mediocre.  I do pretty well at NRA highpower, but can't see myself taking a shot much past 300--about half the distance I'm confident at when I'm on the range.
View Quote

Actually planned this gun for a shooting house on a power line with known ranges + range finder and heated, comfy, supported shooting position.  Now the massive fields...not so much.  The shooting house is walking distance from my parents house though and the area is full of more deer than Geico would like to know about.

Anyway...I am giving up on the concept now.  I was trying to get into HEAVY METAL for 3 gun and after lots of time researching AR10's, I came across a deal on an FNAR and fell in love.  So now I'm only going for 308 range cause I'm not buying another long gun this year.

This thread has had lots of good suggestions for bolt guns for someone who does not know bolts.  Maybe the FNAR will help me practice long range skills at shorter ranges too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm partial to the Ruger American platform but honestly, just about any of them work fine.  Savage, Howa, Tikka, Marlin, you name it.  The bolt action hunting rifle is the one thing just about everybody has figured out.  Determine your price range, find a rifle that fits you and go.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#29]
The Mossberg Patriots are very nice and are getting great reviews.  I have one with a Walnut stock.

For the money they are hard to beat, especially if you like Walnut.  Every one I've seen including mine has good wood.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:00:11 AM EDT
[#30]
I love a remington 700, always swore by it, but my new love is the ruger American. Ruger has great customer service too IMO. What you described, a ruger American will more than do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top