Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2015 11:18:01 PM EDT
I have a M&P 15 sport and I love the darn thing. I have 730 rounds through it and no hiccups at all. It is very accurate and simple to use, but would it be a good SHTF rifle? I know it lacks a dust cover and a forward assist, but I live in a suburban area with no dust. So would it be a good rifle to use if/when SHTF?

Sorry for the long winded post.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:29:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes........better than a rock
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have one the early ones with the 1 in 8 twist barrel then you win the lottery.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:36:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I got a S&W Sport in the safe. Only got it BC it was a great deal. Told myself "truck gun". I have been nothing but impressed with it. Runs like a top, eats everything and I never clean it. Just keep it wet. It's prob got 1200 rounds on it.

So "yes" it's a good SHTF stick
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have one the early ones with the 1 in 8 twist barrel then you win the lottery.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

No 1/9 twist I wish, but the barrel is still nitrided so not a total loss.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:09:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one and yeah, it's reliable for when SHTF.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 4:56:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't. The sport is the way it is because it's meant for ideal conditions, like at the range. Clean.

I wouldn't feel super shorted for no forward assist, but that and the missing dust cover is just asking for problems. Not meant for field use, though it's likely we'd all see a lot of things not being used as intended in SHTF type situation.

I like some forward control over the bolt with firearms, though some say 'you'll blow yourself up' by using them. Haven't looked, but can't remember ever seeing a quality gun with quality ammo blow up. Never seen it from using the FA. However, I have seen many guns with quality ammo get dry and dirty and have trouble going into battery. The FA kept them 'in the fight' though. And somehow they didn't blow up....
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 6:51:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I suspect the dust cover is merely a remnant of the M16 originally having a nice, shiny, industrial chrome bolt carrier.  Bright, shiny things tending to attract the eye (and incoming fire in a combat environment.)
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 8:41:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed.

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Agreed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

This

The dust cover really isn't. It's a mud door.  A little bit of dust isn't going to cause stoppages.  Large volumes of dirt and crap will.  A little extra caution or a lot of extra lube can overcome that.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Absolutely.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Sure.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Keep the bolt wet and you're ok.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Keep the bolt wet and you're ok.
View Quote

I already do that to begin with
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#15]
You have more then a SHTF rifle.
You have a civilian Battle Rifle.
You can easily put 1650 grains of lead down range ACCURATELY  in about 15 seconds..
55 grains x 30 = 1650
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Dust cover is important.

If I'm spending time, possibly in dirty conditions, I'm gonna want a dust cover.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 10:24:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Dust cover is important.

If I'm spending time, possibly in dirty conditions, I'm gonna want a dust cover.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Dust cover is important.

View Quote

Only time I could see using my dust cover would be if I was shooting in a sandy dusty desert like area.
Never seen the need for one on the east coast. I never use mine.
But you never know. A zombie apocalypse might bring me to a west coast desert.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Only time I could see using my dust cover would be if I was shooting in a sandy dusty desert like area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dust cover is important.

I was taught by one of the best instructors in the biz to end each shooting string with "safety-dust cover."

Now it's second nature.

Before his admonitions to do so I would have agreed with you...
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 12:22:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You can easily put 1650 grains of lead down range ACCURATELY  in about 15 seconds..
55 grains x 30 = 1650
View Quote

Very good point
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 12:24:32 AM EDT
[#21]
I think people read too much sometimes. All my AR15's have dustcovers and forward assists...but oddly, none of the other 20 guns I own have these two "critical" features. I would grab any rifle in my safe for a SHTF scenario and not think twice about it. Do you close the dust cover after every pull of the trigger or push the FA button after every chambering? If not, you're just rolling the dice with your life, right?

roy d...seriously, nothing wrong with an M&P for the EOTWAWKI
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#22]
No chrome lining. In your masturbatory end of the world as we know it fantasy scenario, you're gonna want the durability and bore protection that chrome lining gives.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No chrome lining. In your masturbatory end of the world as we know it fantasy scenario, you're gonna want the durability and bore protection that chrome lining gives.
View Quote

The barrel on the sport is nitrided.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think people read too much sometimes. All my AR15's have dustcovers and forward assists...but oddly, none of the other 20 guns I own have these two "critical" features. I would grab any rifle in my safe for a SHTF scenario and not think twice about it. Do you close the dust cover after every pull of the trigger or push the FA button after every chambering? If not, you're just rolling the dice with your life, right?

View Quote

You don't close the dust cover and apply the safety after every trigger press, but once you charge the rifle, you close the cover to keep stuff from getting into it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This^

And the lack of dust cover and FA are my preference, I never ever use either of them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You don't close the dust cover and apply the safety after every trigger press, but once you charge the rifle, you close the cover to keep stuff from getting into it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And then when you pull the trigger and it goes "bang", that pesky dust cover is open again and the inside of your chamber is susceptible to contamination again! Oh Lord, what's the OCD rifleman to do? Oh, I know! A fully encapsulating boy-in-the-bubble outfit! But dang, If I pull the trigger I blow a hole in my bubble and more susceptibility.

What do I do with all my other guns that don't have dust covers? Maybe I'll duct tape over the ejection port to keep the dirt out?

roy d....like I said, some people read too much
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Very good point
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
55 grains x 30 = 1650

Very good point

Some serious firepower when you stop and actually think about it.

That's without a few mag dumps
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:44:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Have heard nothing but good things about them so I would say yes.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And then when you pull the trigger and it goes "bang", that pesky dust cover is open again and the inside of your chamber is susceptible to contamination again! Oh Lord, what's the OCD rifleman to do? Oh, I know! A fully encapsulating boy-in-the-bubble outfit! But dang, If I pull the trigger I blow a hole in my bubble and more susceptibility.

What do I do with all my other guns that don't have dust covers? Maybe I'll duct tape over the ejection port to keep the dirt out?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

After a string of fire, when it's time to apply the safety, you close the dust cover.

I'm not sure WTF you are going on about, but I learned that at a SOCOM-approved training academy.

Maybe couch commandos do it differently, but I wouldn't know.

Best of luck with your duct tape.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 11:55:56 PM EDT
[#30]
If I was starting from scratch it wouldn't be my choice, but the best "SHTF rifle" is the one you have.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 12:02:34 AM EDT
[#31]
I dont see how the dust cover makes or breaks a shtf rifle.  There are plenty of rifles that don't have them.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 12:24:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I dont see how the dust cover makes or breaks a shtf rifle.  There are plenty of rifles that don't have them.
View Quote

The cool ones do.

Link Posted: 11/13/2015 1:03:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Edit to avoid a derail.

OP...there's nothing wrong with an M&P Sport for SHTF. Would it be the "dream" rifle? No, but it'll get the job done.

roy d...so practice, prepare and pray you won't need it for more than paper

Link Posted: 11/13/2015 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Edit to avoid a derail.

OP...there's nothing wrong with an M&P Sport for SHTF. Would it be the "dream" rifle? No, but it'll get the job done.

roy d...so practice, prepare and pray you won't need it for more than paper

View Quote

Couldn't agree more!
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#35]
I think too many people ignore the value of the dust cover in more normal situations, such as in a trunk full of junk, under a truck seat, in a full-of-dirty-tools truck or ranger bed.  All places that it is useful besides the usual sandstorm people tend to picture.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 2:31:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Fucius Say:
When you have a dust cover you never use it &
when you don't have a dust cover you want one.

John say:
Don't sweat it either way.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I bought the M&P 15 Sport when they had the 1-8 5R barrels. It's very accurate and I have no use for the dust cover or FA. If a bullet won't chamber then eject it there's something wrong with it. Shoving it into the chamber with the FA is a great way to jam it good!!  Check the reviews on the net about them, guys have poured sand on the bolts and couldn't get them to fail.  YouTube also has some great reviews on the Sport. I just bought a AR-15 magazine put out by Guns&Ammo and they have an excellent review on the Sport with the 1-8 twist 5R barrel. They shot it for a 3 day course at Gunsite in Arizona. (Very fine sand and dirt!) They didn't clean it for all three days and they couldn't get it to fail. I love mine and would have no trouble grabbing it in a SHTF situation.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#38]
While the Sport isn't something I'd prefer, it would be fine. Given the choice, like having the features they delete on that rifle though.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#39]
It's fine.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:30:01 AM EDT
[#40]
I have a co-worker who spent time "in the sandbox" and he just told me the dust cover was useless at keeping out dust, sand and everything else that filled up his rife.

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have a co-worker who spent time "in the sandbox" and he just told me the dust cover was useless at keeping out dust, sand and everything else that filled up his rife.
View Quote

That's more than likely the 'road untravelled' to him. I knew too many people who didn't keep their weapons clean, though mostly pogs, but ya. It's a lot more for keep enough dust and dirt out until you can get somewhere to clean it (if conditions are truly that bad (unlikely unless at the tail of a convoy on a dirt road)).
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#42]
I’ve fired M16s and M4s under conditions where I thought they would fail (extreme heat, extreme cold, filthy from carbon, coated with sand, covered in dust, covered in snow) and have usually been pleasantly surprised…

I always kept the weapons lubed up and the ammo and mags clean…

The only way to know if your rifle is reliable is to shoot it…

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Get out and shoot it, then you'll know its reliable. I wouldn't worry about not having a dustcover.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:01:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Mine is an early version with the 1/8" twist barrel. It's been a fantastic rifle - never an issue and very accurate. I go up into BLM in the Rocky Mountains for weekends at a time and shoot it out in the elements. I trust mine completely.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top