Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2015 4:21:09 PM EDT
I'm looking at one of these locally in .308, it is a great looking rifle but I know nothing about them. Thinking it would make a great hog and deer brush gun. Are they reliable? Accurate? Better or worse than the later models?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The four should be a decent rifle, as long as you are not putting thousands upon thousands of rounds through it.
If I recall, they were a sort of updated 742. 742s were not bad rifles themselves.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Should be the same as a 7400. I wouldn't buy one. It's one of those Fudd rifles that's "OK as long as you almost never use it." When you use it, disappointment may occur... not one of Remington's better products. (This is true of the entire line, all the way to the current 750).
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:31:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Should be the same as a 7400. I wouldn't buy one. It's one of those Fudd rifles that's "OK as long as you almost never use it." When you use it, disappointment may occur... not one of Remington's better products. (This is true of the entire line, all the way to the current 750).
View Quote

Well I actually owned a Remington Model Four in 30-06 caliber when I lived in S.E. Alaska.. I killed quite a few Sitka black tails with it on Prince of Wales Island and it saw some pretty rainy, dreary weather on those November hunts but never let me down. Actually worked every time I pulled the trigger in that God forsaken rain and cold and was pretty accurate to boot.I traded it off on a Model 700 in .338 Win mag when I moved into interior Alaska. I always regretted that trade as the rifle took a bunch of deer and always worked for that quick follow up shot in the heavy timbered areas I hunted. Keep it lubed with Mobile 1 for trouble free service.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the reply's.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 12:17:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Can't speak specially about the Model Four from personal experience.  I have three 742's bought originally new in the early '70s and inherited by me in the late 70s.  .30-'06, .308 and .280, along with an even older 740 in '06.  All have been hunted regularly over the years, none have ever missfired or jammed and all have had acceptable hunting accuracy of under 2 MOA.  The .308 close to 1 MOA with match ammo.

Only the early 740 is "finicky."  Sometimes the bolt does not completely rotate into battery when charging the first round.  A slight push on the bolt handle finishes it.  But, that rifle was hunted with very extensively for decades, has a little wear, and is now about 60 years old. They have a rotary bolt and there is some wear on the lugs.

The Model Four was a higher grade 7400 with a nicer stock, but otherwise mechanically identical, as far as I can tell.  The 7400 was an attempt to produce the 742 at a lower production cost, with a supposedly smoother bolt lockup, larger bolt body and a different extractor.

These are hunting rifles and not sustained high rate of fire tactical weapons.  They were designed to provide a rapid follow up shot or two in brush or at running big game at moderate distances.  For that purpose they perform well.  The trick is to keep the chamber clean.  Remington provided an offset handle chamber brush with each.  Keep the chamber walls and the rotary bolt lugs clean and these rifles run very well.  My only quibble is the shotgun type non-adjustable "fire control group."  While not as heavy as a tactical milspec trigger, it does not enable the rifle to achieve optimal bench accuracy except with great attention to technique.  Ok in the field, but could have been better done.  Timmney makes a nice upgrade kit for about $90 that will greatly improve the stock trigger pull weight and feel.

This is one of them.  My .308 742.  It is topped with its original Redfield 3-9x40 scope in Redfield rings and one piece base, with Lawrence #4 sling in Whelen configuration.The scope is a little dim by today's standards, but the combo is still effective.  I think I will shoot some 100 yard groups with it this weekend and see how it does.

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice looking rifle. The one I was looking at has sold but I'm gonna keep my eye out for another one, may wind up with a 742 as I see more of those.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#7]
If you can find a 742 BDL it has a higher Monte Carlo cheekpiece stock, a little better wood, and a better design for a scope.  I have one of those in '06.  But that standard stock version still fits well.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Make sure it functions correctly when you buy it. If they have been abused or have a high round count they can jam and it is terminal. If it ok keep it clean and lubed, do not use hot hand loads. And mostly, do not do ammo dumps or ectensive rapid fire. It is a great hunting rifle. Not a tactical weapon or a gun you cam neglect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top