Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2015 4:20:02 PM EDT
I'm having a conundrum, I recently sold my Rem 700 SPS Tactical because I don't like bolt-actions. I had planned to buy a Remington 7600 to replace it because I've done most of the hunting in my life with an 870 and it's just what I'm used to. But the more I think about it I'm considering getting rid of .308 caliber altogether from my inventory.

Here's the deal, I have two 6.8spc II AR-15's, for any kind of hunting I'd ever do in TX, the 6.8 would work as long as I kept the shots within 300yds.

I have Aimpoints on both AR's, so the thought was to sell the .308 ammo, sell one of the Aimpoints and put the scope on one of the AR's.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Your plan would work. But 308 is easier to find in a pinch..
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I would use the $ to buy another 1K rounds of 6.8 hunting ammo, I'd be good for awhile.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:38:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I personally shudder at the idea of not having 308, but I love 308 and I'm a big fan of stocking common calibers. If thats not important to you and you get the job done with 6.8 then cool. It sounds like you are pretty much decided already.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I dumped my 6.8 stuff completely and settled on .223 and .308 for 90% of my centerfire rifle needs.
With that said, I hunt large mule deer and elk every year, so it makes more sense than in your situation.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would use the $ to buy another 1K rounds of 6.8 hunting ammo, I'd be good for awhile.
View Quote

Is this thread a question or a statement of already determined intent?  Sounds like you have already decided and are seeking validation.

Just do what you think is best for you according to your own experience.

FWIW, while the 6.8 is good within its limits, there is real value in having something, at least one rifle of some sort,  that hits a lot harder and carries that energy better not only for greater distance, but through tougher barriers and heavy brush and has a wider choice of bullet construction and weight.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I have pretty much made up my mind, I've put all my .308 ammo up for sale.

I'll probably pick up that 7600 one day, but in .30-06.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I can see your reasoning.  But I too would feel wonky without either a .30-06 or a .308 in the stable.   But I do like 6.8 in theory.  I barely ever see it on the shelves though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:19:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I would NEVER be without a good .308 bolt gun if I could help it.

.308s have been putting deer and elk on my table, and filling my freezer for a long time now. I see no reason to mess with success.

Good luck with your choices.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would NEVER be without a good .308 bolt gun if I could help it.

.308s have been putting deer and elk on my table, and filling my freezer for a long time now. I see no reason to mess with success.

Good luck with your choices.
View Quote

Me either or at least a 06 or 270.  To me everyone needs a good 308,270 or 06.  All are easy to find ammo for, ammo is cheap and if ammo ever gets really hard to find they are likely to still be the cheapest easiest to find.  Also because of their popularity brass can be easy to find and easy to find other cartridges that are based off of them.  with the 308 you can use 243,7mm08,338 federal and 358 winchester, if you reload you will never have to worry about getting brass for those 3.  If something were to happen and AR's where banned the 6.8 is going to die a quick death.  Its not likely but I think one rifle in the above calibers is a smart investment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top