Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2015 7:36:43 PM EDT
I bought a set of the $40 Howard Leight's for the wife and kid and they suck.  My Sordin's are outstanding but $200+.  What would you consider the cheapest decent pair of electronic ears?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The only electronics I have had are MSA/Sordins and Pro Ears Gold. Overall, I prefer the Sordins, but the Pro Ears are good and have a higher NRR. The problem you're going to have with cheap electronic ear pro is clipping of the sound and potential issues with moisture.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm getting buzzing and other assorted noises with the Leight's.  No clipping, yet.  They're destined for the trash, just need to get em replaced with something reasonable.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I got a sort of generic set with a Remington lable. They were about $50, six years ago. They work fine!

I got them in time for a training session at Front Sight, and could have sold four pairs there!
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm getting buzzing and other assorted noises with the Leight's.  No clipping, yet.  They're destined for the trash, just need to get em replaced with something reasonable.
View Quote

Why don't you contact the manufacturer with your concern and see what they will do?  It sounds like you have a bad set.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why don't you contact the manufacturer with your concern and see what they will do?  It sounds like you have a bad set.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No such problems with mine.  Use them all the time and still on the original set of batteries 2 years later.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#6]
My Howard Leight Impact Sports just recently died and they were only a year old, never had any sound quality issues but they never seemed to keep a good seal around my ears. Even my el cheapo $25 Caldwells lasted longer and sealed better. What I really did like about the Leights were the low profile, but now they're just plain ol muffs.
Just recently picked up some Peltor 6S Slims ($85), too early to tell how they'll hold up but better sound quality than anything I've had previously and a good fit.

For occasional or guest use the Caldwells aren't bad and are cheap when ordered online.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a set of the Peltor 6S electronic muffs for the wife. I think I gave around $60 or so for them. I've replaced the hygiene kit a time or 2. Have replaced the foamies over the mics 2 or 3 times.

The electronics have never failed in the 10 years or so I've had them.
I have a set of Peltor ComTacs that are fantastic. They are pricey, but worth it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I was looking at the 6s but didn't want to spend the coin, might have to.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#9]
My MSA Sordins are the only muffs I will ever own.

My hearing is worth every penny when it comes to being able to hear the world around me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I've had my pair for two years and I've had zero problems.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#11]
You do really get what you pay for.. My Sordins are still going strong after about 9 years of use...
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You do really get what you pay for.. My Sordins are still going strong after about 9 years of use...
View Quote

There comes a point where more money brings diminished returns.  The reason I asked if he had contacted the manufacturer is because Amazon shows nearly 5,900 reviews on the $40 Howard Leights.  69% of those are 5 stars.  Granted, they may not be the same model he bought, but they are still a $40 set.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There comes a point where more money brings diminished returns.  The reason I asked if he had contacted the manufacturer is because Amazon shows nearly 5,900 reviews on the $40 Howard Leights.  69% of those are 5 stars.  Granted, they may not be the same model he bought, but they are still a $40 set.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And do you know just how many people give something 5 stars after owning it for a week??? With little more then a " I really like it.." for there response..

Read some of those reviews ... Lots of folks who are clueless as to why something is good because they have no clue what they don't know,,, and no clue that they don't know it.

And that $40  would have been a good start to getting something quality.. Americans have become use to cheap disposable crap with the Mantra,"Its good enough for what I need" as there justification.

Just how much design and engineering and manufacturing do you think went into a $40 pair of electronic ear pro?
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:57:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And do you know just how many people give something 5 stars after owning it for a week??? With little more then a " I really like it.." for there response..

Read some of those reviews ... Lots of folks who are clueless as to why something is good because they have no clue what they don't know,,, and no clue that they don't know it.

And that $40  would have been a good start to getting something quality.. Americans have become use to cheap disposable crap with the Mantra,"Its good enough for what I need" as there justification.

Just how much design and engineering and manufacturing do you think went into a $40 pair of electronic ear pro?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of previous design and engineering filters down into cheaper products, so many manufacturers do offer better products at cheaper price points these days.  In either case, how many of those complaints involved buzzing and assorted noises?  That is an extreme problem on what appear to be a new set, and they will probably replaced or repaired under warranty.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:18:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A lot of previous design and engineering filters down into cheaper products, so many manufacturers do offer better products at cheaper price points these days.  In either case, how many of those complaints involved buzzing and assorted noises?  That is an extreme problem on what appear to be a new set, and they will probably replaced or repaired under warranty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you mean is, a lot of tech is copied and slapped together very poorly and with sub standard components to allow a much lower price point to appeal to the crap loving masses....
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:32:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What you mean is, a lot of tech is copied and slapped together very poorly and with sub standard components to allow a much lower price point to appeal to the crap loving masses....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't "mean" anything.  I am stating a fact.  Most technology filters down and becomes more inexpensive as time goes by.  Yesterday's electronics, those that were really expensive and state of the art just a few years ago are obsolete and more easily reproduced.  The same holds true of just about any product line you can think of.  Disk breaks and smaller more powerful engines that are mass produced these days?  Originally race technology.  Building materials, manufacturing facilities and methods, the list goes on and on of the same type of examples.  You should get up to speed on life.  Read some books.  Hell, watch some YouTube.  There is a lot of stuff on there the simple minded can learn.

And provided they take care of their stuff and purchase items for the proper application.  Most people are satisfied with the products they buy and use.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:59:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I love my MSA sordins with Gel cups. Cheapest decent set - MSA Sordins. I used Howard Leighs first and they were ok till they were about 3 years old, then he clipping became extensive and overly long still had excellent reaction time though just lasted a full second or longer.

that said, my old Howard Leighs are my go to choice when I double with earplugs at indoor ranges.  The Sordins do not get loud enough to use with plugs.  Muffs alone in that environment leave me with a headache regardless of the type.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bought a set of the $40 Howard Leight's for the wife and kid and they suck.  My Sordin's are outstanding but $200+.  What would you consider the cheapest decent pair of electronic ears?
View Quote

Peltor Range Guard's get my vote, for $44 shipped they're tough to beat

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Home Depot occasionally has the Peltor Tac 100s for $50.  I really like mine, they seal great.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#20]
the peltor 7 tactical are great. they are padded well and seal well.  way better the HL sports that i have. they are a little big and they use  9 volt battery which is a pain and expensive.   i don't  they they are made anymore but if you can find a set cheap grab em

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Peltor Range Guard's get my vote, for $44 shipped they're tough to beat
View Quote

$44 bucks, not a bad deal, with shipping my Peltor 6S set were $85 from Amazon, wish I'd seen these first. One thing I definitely like about the Range Guards is how the bottom tapers, mine actually flare out on the bottom where the mics are located, which may not play well with getting a good cheek weld for rifles. Will keep these in mind if so. And that's the same price I paid for my Howard Leigh Sport Impacts from Amazon. I did a search for 'Peltor' on Amazon before buying mine and don't remember seeing these at all...
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I purchased a set of Peltor electronic "ears" ~10 years ago for $110 from Midway. They have been fantastic with pretty much weekly use. I don't know what model or what they go for today. I ponied-up for the better ones after reading the generally bad reports of the $20 units.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My hearing is worth every penny when it comes to being able to hear the world around me.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:00:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Especially when new shooters are involved buy the best eye and ear pro. Prevent hearing loss down the road. Easier to train new shooters when they are not reacting adversely to gun blast. I suggest plugs plus muffs all the time. I myself would get ear pro better than what I use myself for my loved ones
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#26]
I use the Peltor Tactical Sport and haven't had any problems with them since I bought the around 6 or 7 years ago. The digital technology makes them directional and the sound amplification is amazing. And instead of just cutting out completely like the cheaper muffs do they cut the noise level down just to a safe level. After trying mine I've had a few friends and my father buy a set for themselves, too. After testing several different makes and models of electronic muffs my employer purchased 20 sets of them for range use to be shared by over 100 people. After 5+ years of owning them they are still happy with them and there hasn't been any failures. If you look around you should be able to find them under $100.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 12:35:53 AM EDT
[#27]
I've got two pair of the Leights...They've been awesome for me, had them about 2 years or so.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 12:54:14 AM EDT
[#28]
hey OP, are your muffs the Howard Leights Impact Sport?  if so, wanna sell them?
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a set of Caldwell eMax low profile.  I think they work good for the price, I think I paid $25 at MidwayUSA a few years back.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The ones I bought at Harbor Freight for $20 worked fine until they crapped out.
View Quote

I laughed when I read that...

That is the battle cry for buying anything cheap ... It worked great... right up until it did not....
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 1:55:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Honestly, I've been rocking a pair of COMTAC II's for about 10 years now.  Getting ready to splurge on a set of COMTAC III's with the gel cups.  You really can't go wrong with the COMTACS or SORDIN EXTREME but I believe there is another company that is hardening the Sordin's but for the life of me I can't recall what the name of them are.

When it comes to earpro, I look at it the same as your brain bucket when riding motorcycles.  Put a price on your hearing or head and make your own call.  Me, I'll pay whatever I have to.  We drop thousands each year on guns, accessories, and ammo, but then everyone wants to cheap out on earpro.  Plus IMHO you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I havent found a set of decent cheap muffs so I just went back to regular.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 6:36:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The NRR is pretty low on them, what makes them so much better than everything else?
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 6:53:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Peltor 6s at home depot for $54-but not in store so you have to order them (free shipping to store)
Not perfect but way better than the Howard leights

Last year at black Friday (now more or less) they had a cardboard bin of them on special buy sitting with the other christmass specials . I believe they were $69 and didn't sell well . After christmass they dropped to $49 and were gone in a couple of days.

When I an doing a pistol class and get some one who is real sensitive to noise I will set them up with foam ear plugs with the 6s over them . the plugs and muffs give great sound coverage but the muffs turned up allow them to hear range commands and my directions
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 6:55:59 AM EDT
[#35]
I typically use Howard Leights and surefire plugs. I don't find that the Leights are all that great but I need the 3x amplification they offer so I can hear range commands while wearing plugs. I also have two sets of Peltor Tac 100's and I feel they are much nicer but don't amplify enough. I got one set of those on amazon for $75 and caught a deal on the second pair for $38 on amazon.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That is the battle cry for buying anything cheap ... It worked great... right up until it did not....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cardboard's Maintenance Free, Till it rains Out.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fwiw I have used Howard Leights in the rain multiple times when hunting and they are still alive. My first pair has wires exposed and it still works fine.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#38]
What is the opinion of the Walker models?  Each side is independent which should give you a better idea on where sound comes from in the field.  Good feature or more trouble than it's worth?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#39]
It seems everyone at the range is sporting the Howard Leights. I have a pair on the way. I had an MSA Supreme Pro X. It was exceptional, but I didn't like the mic boom being in the way and I sold them for a nice profit. If I had the money, it would be MSA all the way.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What is the opinion of the Walker models?  Each side is independent which should give you a better idea on where sound comes from in the field.  Good feature or more trouble than it's worth?
View Quote

The Walkers I had broke where the yoke that holds the earcup assembly attached to the band over the top of your head.  After I looked at it, I see why--the entire piece is plastic, and is under constant stress when worn, and even more stress when you take them off or put them on.  The electronics were fine, but the mechanics of the design sucked.

On the other hand, my 15 yr old Pelter 6s has never broken anything.  I have put on new microphone wind guards, because the old ones got worn away putting them into my shooting bag.  I have replaced the ear cups several times, and many batteries.  Otherwise, they are rock solid.

After that episode with the Walkers, I made sure all my muffs have metal bands and connections to the band.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:06:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Within my group we have 6 of those, one set has a sporadic buzz type noise.  You got a defective set, send them back.  I have a lot of trouble with muffs and rifle stocks so plugs & muffs is how I go.  The electronic muffs help compensate for the plugs with normal sound levels.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:23:53 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
No such problems with mine.  Use them all the time and still on the original set of batteries 2 years later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ditto.....on the battery life too.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Home Depot occasionally has the Peltor Tac 100s for $50.  I really like mine, they seal great.
View Quote

I like these a whole lot more than my 6S's
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It seems everyone at the range is sporting the Howard Leights. I have a pair on the way. I had an MSA Supreme Pro X. It was exceptional, but I didn't like the mic boom being in the way and I sold them for a nice profit. If I had the money, it would be MSA all the way.
View Quote

I bought a pair of howard leight's after having a set of peltor shotgunners and peltor tac 6's...   i never could get a good seal behind my ear on the leights.  i could stick my pinky finger between the muffs and my neck and touch my ear there was so much of a gap.

i ended up having about 3 friends try them out before i found someone who could get a good seal, so i gave them the set.

I grabbed a couple pairs of the peltor tac 100's last year when home depot had them on sale.  i'm pretty happy with them...i can hear the ping from my .22 hitting a steel plate at 150 yds.   The improved battery placement and auto-shutoff are nice too, i can't count the number of times i got to the range with the tac 6's and found the batteries on one side dead because they got turned on rolling around in my range bag..

check for the fit on the howard leights before you get to the range... i discovered my fit problem the first time the guy in the lane next to me touched off his black powder rifle, that wasn't very fun
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:12:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I bought a pair of howard leight's after having a set of peltor shotgunners and peltor tac 6's...   i never could get a good seal behind my ear on the leights.  i could stick my pinky finger between the muffs and my neck and touch my ear there was so much of a gap.

i ended up having about 3 friends try them out before i found someone who could get a good seal, so i gave them the set.

I grabbed a couple pairs of the peltor tac 100's last year when home depot had them on sale.  i'm pretty happy with them...i can hear the ping from my .22 hitting a steel plate at 150 yds.   The improved battery placement and auto-shutoff are nice too, i can't count the number of times i got to the range with the tac 6's and found the batteries on one side dead because they got turned on rolling around in my range bag..

check for the fit on the howard leights before you get to the range... i discovered my fit problem the first time the guy in the lane next to me touched off his black powder rifle, that wasn't very fun
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both my brother and  checked for fit and din't have an issue. That should be a test for any muffs, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top