Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2015 9:38:25 PM EDT
Recently I have been shooting longer range, 200 and 300 meters, and need to move up to a heavier bullet to improve resistance to wind deflection and therefore have been looking for a barrel with a bit more length to up the velocity. I am shooting a 16" barrel now.

I had been gathering parts to build another upper. A Mega Arms billet upper to match the lower and completion parts, an Adams Arms XLP mid length conversion kit and even a barrel, a Compass Lake Engineering 16" HBAR, 1/12 twist, mid length. I was planning to use a MI Mid length SSM handguard but my new shooting has led me in a different direction.

I found the perfect (or nearly so) barrel. It is 20", Heavy profile, .750 at the gas block, QPQ Melonite treated, 5.56 which is ok, a Wylde might be better. The one thing that is not perfect about it is that it is profiled and drilled for rifle length gas. It is an off the shelf item from Yankee Hill Machine, list price is $238 for the fluted version.

Here are the published specs:

Surface: Diamond Fluted, Would choose fluted but not a deal breaker
Length: 20", Deal breaker
Weight: 2.70 lbs.
Material: 4140 Chrome Moly Steel, 4150 might be better but since it is Melonited I don't think it would make a difference
Chamber: 5.56x45mm NATO, Ok but would prefer a Wylde
Twist Rate: 1 in 9", Don't need a faster twist for the bullets I'm shooting.
Chrome Lined: No Gotta be Melonite
Finish: Melonite QPQ Perfect
M4 Feed Ramps: Yes Perfect!
Muzzle Thread Pattern: No Thread Perfect!
Gas Port Location: Rifle Prefer mid but might have to live with rifle
Exterior Diameter at Gas Port: 0.750" Perfect

Handy link to item on YHM website

Can anyone point me to another supplier for a barrel like this but mid length? I have found only full up custom barrels that would run $500 or more and then need to be Melonited. Not looking to spend a whole lot more than I would for the YHM barrel.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Guy i shoot with runs a 16" sig , has no issue hitting 3 & 400 steel running 55gr Hornady BTFMJ's.  A few other shooters run 55 & 62's out of 16" with no issue out to 400.

You want a good bbl that a few name companies have their name stamped on. Buy a Green Mountain.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:31:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Please be reminded that this is a technical forum and to take your off topic comments somewhere else.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:31:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Please be reminded that this is a technical forum and to take your off topic comments somewhere else.
View Quote

wow

Are you saying in your OP that you don't want the 1:9"?

What bullet are you shooting?

I'll echo Jim, you're overthinking this. A quality barrel can add velocity while maintaining length
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Twist Rate: 1 in 9", Don't need a faster twist for the bullets I'm shooting.

If you would like to contribute to the discussion at hand, finding another source for a barrel with the desired specs, please do so.

If you are intent on having a discussion on the technical aspects of barrels, please find another thread or start you own. There are hundreds of such threads on this site alone. This is not one.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:26:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I know you're not addressing me. However you don't want ADVICE  fine. Don't ask for help / suggestions .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top