Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2015 6:52:33 PM EDT
I'm already aware many folks are going to tell me not to sell my guns, but let's pretend I'm going to anyway.  I no longer enjoy many of the guns I own. Some are new, some are old. It's not about needing money, it's about simplifying what I have, and removing redundancy.

I just don't know how to go about selling so many. I don't want to list ten firearms online. That would be a headache with all of the shipping and payments, plus I don't have much of a presence online so it may be tough getting anyone to buy in the first place. I've already dealt with idiots on Armslist. One guy kept changing the terms of the purchase, had me drive 45 minutes to meet him and then called at the meeting time and said "Sorry, boss man came in and I can't make it." I did some recon with an LEO friend of mine and found out he has a conviction for DV.

I frequent my gun shops in the area, and while I have brought this up to them they are interested in what I have but I won't get a good price. ($300 for a mint Gen4 G19 w/ Night Sights and 3 mags) Additionally, I don't even think they would want to buy multiple firearms given that the market is dead right now.

What would you do (keeping them isn't an option, for sake of the thread)? While I am totally reasonable in my expectations for what I want, staying with the G19 example, $300 isn't it. $400-450 would be.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#1]
If you don't need the money, but you don't want the guns and want them gone, just take the $300 being offered and don't deal with the headache of selling them online.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you don't need the money, but you don't want the guns and want them gone, just take the $300 being offered and don't deal with the headache of selling them online.
View Quote

As I was writing out my post, I somewhat answered my own question and this was the answer.

I just didn't want to write all that out and not post it.

Sucks, but I think you're right.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#3]
You could always put them on consignment at a gun store, they charge a %, but you don't have to deal with buyers at all. The only problem I ever had was getting updates from them. I'd have to call once a month only to find out the item sold like two weeks earlier and they "hadn't got around" to calling me yet.
Another way I sell them is to post them on a local gun forum and meet them face-to-face in a large busy parking lot.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#4]
For me, shipping guns is more than I care to deal with.  I usually put them up on Armslist (FTF transactions) or sell to friends/co-workers.  I have given them to family members as well if I don't want/need money for them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#6]
My local dealer charges 14% of sale to list guns on gunbroker. They handle everything and write me a check for the balance.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#7]
You could try finding a local gun and/or outdoors oriented forum and try selling them there. As mentioned, you're probably not going to be able to sell the whole lot all at once, but doing one or two at a time would probably be better.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I sold a bunch through a local shop on consignment.  Probably a little less money, but much less hassle.

Sold some long guns I didn't shoot, and sold most all of my pistols that weren't 9mm M&P's.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#9]
If you don't need the money, why not hang on until the next craze.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If you don't need the money, why not hang on until the next craze.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm already aware many folks are going to tell me not to sell my guns, but let's pretend I'm going to anyway.  I no longer enjoy many of the guns I own. Some are new, some are old. It's not about needing money, it's about simplifying what I have, and removing redundancy.

I just don't know how to go about selling so many. I don't want to list ten firearms online. That would be a headache with all of the shipping and payments, plus I don't have much of a presence online so it may be tough getting anyone to buy in the first place. I've already dealt with idiots on Armslist. One guy kept changing the terms of the purchase, had me drive 45 minutes to meet him and then called at the meeting time and said "Sorry, boss man came in and I can't make it." I did some recon with an LEO friend of mine and found out he has a conviction for DV.

I frequent my gun shops in the area, and while I have brought this up to them they are interested in what I have but I won't get a good price. ($300 for a mint Gen4 G19 w/ Night Sights and 3 mags) Additionally, I don't even think they would want to buy multiple firearms given that the market is dead right now.

What would you do (keeping them isn't an option, for sake of the thread)? While I am totally reasonable in my expectations for what I want, staying with the G19 example, $300 isn't it. $400-450 would be.
View Quote

Dealers don't pay resale value.

A dealer's offer for second hand firearms will about 50% of resale value.

Sometimes more when it is a desirable gun and sometimes less when it is not.

Getting maximum value out of your guns will take effort on your part.

What is most important to you: have the guns sold quickly and some money in hand -or- to have the maximum possible amount for each gun?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#12]
If you can afford to wait until the next gun show I agree with a previous poster.  You can set your price between what the shop would give you, and retail.  Then you get more money, and you made some persons ARFCOM post about a kickass deal he scored!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:00:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Wait for the next gun panic and then...

Quoted:
Get a table at the next gunshow.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the replies. They are all pretty good.

Here's a new question:

For you guys who do FTF sales on Armslist and such - how do you weed out the scumbags? I don't wanna give half of these guys my phone number let alone meet them in person.

I've got a pistol listed on there right now and in the ad I state that the buyer must provide DL and sign a bill of sale attesting they are legally allowed to own a firearm with a strong preference toward CCW license holders, and that the meeting must be conducted near a police station which is mutually agreeable.

I am willing to drop the police station bit if the person seems reasonable, but put it in there to weed out any crazies.

This is a reply I woke up to today:

"Yo I want that (editted as to not appear selling outside the EE) lets meet at my boys crib cuz he owes me some money anyway gimme your number so we can setup a time"
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#15]
needed the money recently, sold off two Wartime and post war  Mausers for more than double what I paid for them, and two Lee Enfields made a tidy profit on them too. Couple months later things had eased up and I was able to buy a Winchester Md 101 I'd been looking at. While generally I don't sell anything it did free up some space in the locker, and I had a little left over for a new lower. Straight sales to a local gun shop, even after they took their's I was able to make a profit.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:50:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a nice rifle that I am not using and want to sell but keep putting it off because of the hassle so I know how you feel.

If you don't want to ship or to meet people face to face then consignment might be a good option for you.

You might have to do some looking to find a good shop that will do it.

I have sold a few guns that way in the past and it worked pretty good.

The main problem was that it took a while and I had to keep checking in with the shop to see how it was going.

I have done face to face and shipped without too much issue but both can be a pain and there is the potential for problems.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm doing exactly this right now. Listed bunch of stuff on EE local sales only and gave a dealer buddy first crack at it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Either spend the time selling them or get screwed over and take nothing from a dealer......

Do what the law requires nothing more.........  sometimes i think people are trying to get a junior gman badge.

This thread reminds me of the guy who walked in the door with a nickle s&w mdl 19 snubby a few years ago.

I asked him "what he wanted for his pistol"..... i would have paid 300 easily.

replied " i want to trade with a dealer"

i replied " they take ben franklins in trade too"

him " i don't want to sell it"

walks to first table takes $200 cash from a dealer

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. They are all pretty good.

Here's a new question:

For you guys who do FTF sales on Armslist and such - how do you weed out the scumbags? I don't wanna give half of these guys my phone number let alone meet them in person.

I've got a pistol listed on there right now and in the ad I state that the buyer must provide DL and sign a bill of sale attesting they are legally allowed to own a firearm with a strong preference toward CCW license holders, and that the meeting must be conducted near a police station which is mutually agreeable.

I am willing to drop the police station bit if the person seems reasonable, but put it in there to weed out any crazies.

This is a reply I woke up to today:

"Yo I want that (editted as to not appear selling outside the EE) lets meet at my boys crib cuz he owes me some money anyway gimme your number so we can setup a time"
View Quote

I always ask for either a CCW, military ID, or first responder credentials for a face to face. Always in a public place (preferably somewhere with cameras) and buy a burner cell for the month, worth the $20 not to give out my main cell #.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I usually don't sell my firearms. At one time I had a large amount of firearms and was unable to keep up with monthly maintenance and parts and accessories.  Me and my boys sat down and kept what we actually used and my ffl sold the rest in his shop. I always thought you couldn't have enough but over the years it had became to much. Took the money and bought new 4 wheelers for the boys and threw the rest in savings.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I've used the Facebook groups for about 5 years now with fine results. The bill of sale, ccw, drivers license..... Just use your instincts man. I always insist on a phone conversation and only sell to adults. Haven't encountered anyone fishy or ghetto. I usually check their fb page first. If you see a grown man with pictures of his pregnant wife and 3 kids all over his front page chances are he's not going to try and rob you. Many of the folks on my local groups are cops or firefighters , ex military ect. Carry a pistol to the meeting and make your sale.

If any of your senses ping when corresponding with them, don't go.

Also, I'm only active on 2 fb groups these days , the mods there are Leo and do a good job of keeping the undesirable types off the board.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Personally I would ask friends and family first before anything. Its not that you are trying to sell to them directly but they can add a huge filter if they have a friend or a family member.

If that doesn't work I have sold one gun through my facebook gun swap. I had to sort through a bunch of tools but sold it what I was asking for. This way you are able to vent them out. I use to sell firearms so I do ask questions mainly why are you looking to buy this etc. The ones that don't give you a hard time are typically gtg. If they give you a super hard time you can block them
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I keep close records on my guns. Every year on August 17th I pull out every gun that hadn't been fired in the last year. If it isn't one of my valuable collectibles it gets sold. I usually use Facebook groups and armslist.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Sell what you don't use or have no need for
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd use the EE. It isn't hard.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Do you have a range membership? I always see shit for sale on the bulletin board at my club.
Burner phone if you have that much stuff you want to move.
You could also consider getting a table at a gunshow.

After buying another shotgun I don't need today I am thinking of heading the other direction again. About 5 years ago I cleared out about 10 cheaper guns and replaced them with 2 nice guns.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Invite us to your house and we'll take care of it for you.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQgdZTgpczM[/youtube]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#28]
When I did this I got a booth at a local gun show and got rid of most of them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:24:47 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm in the same boat as well since I'm wanting to really thin out my collection in a big way.

I don't see a gun ban or a gun "craz" coming until AFTER the next national elections and depending on who wins in November 2016...  The President can talk all he wants about gun control, but his fellow Dems are not going to follow or support him AND fall on the "sword" for him since he is basically out of office anyway.  

The only good thing about a politician is that they're very predictable since self preservation is their number one priority!!

I don't care doing face to face sales anymore since there are too many odd balls floating around.  "I" would feel bad if one of "my" guns were to be involved in a mass criminal shooting.  I've been selling my excess guns through my local gun dealers on consignment, which I loose 10% to 20% of the asking price after the sale...  I feel better going this route since the buyer has to submit to checks prior to taking ownership, which afterwards, I feel completely cleared... Both morally and legally of any actions involving that firearm.

I did 4/5 face to face guns sells back in the 90s by putting ads in the local newspaper's guns for sale section... One guy I agreed to meet looked  pretty much like a gangster... Drove by him and his "crew" at the local McDonalds parking lot and didn't stop... He called again and offered to pay more than my asking price and asked if I had other guns for sell too... A big "No Go" in my books!!   A year or so later, another guy appeared to drunk or high... Again, another "No Go."

good luck in whatever you do.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:16:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

List it on here. Say "FTF Only" Florida is full of gun lovers.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#31]
You can also use FloridaGuntrader website.  When I lived in FL that was what I used to buy/sell.  Of course, I insisted on FL ID and CCW, along with bill of sale and only meet in public/ gun range parking lot.  After the first few times, everything was easy.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:40:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Don't thin out any firearm that would likely be the target of proposed legislative/executive action. You'll double your money easily if you wait to sell those. Starting the summer of 2016 I think as the election nears, we'll see the usual freak out and prices will skyrocket.

Consolidate calibers, dump exotic calibers.

Example: Dump .40, keep .45/9mm.

Example: Dump all rifle calibers except 5.56/7.62/.22
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#33]
I generally will trade guns I dont want, need or like toward a gun I do. I have an 1894 marlin in .44mag, I have no use for this gun, I traded it last wed toward a new ruger AR556. I will owe a little cash when it comes in, but the ruger is a gun I have wanted, in a caliber I am well stocked on, that I will shoot the hell out of.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You can also use FloridaGuntrader website.  When I lived in FL that was what I used to buy/sell.  Of course, I insisted on FL ID and CCW, along with bill of sale and only meet in public/ gun range parking lot.  After the first few times, everything was easy.
View Quote

This worked well for me in the past.  I have considered renting a table at the gun show as well but never got around to it.  I have sold a few on gunbroker as well.  Shipping is a hassle but i have done really well on a few items. If it doesnt sell for what you want just put it back in the safe and wait 12 months to relist.  Buyers tastes change.  Msg me if your in the West Palm Beach area and maybe I can help.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#35]
man lots of people want bill of sales.  I wont sign them, its not required and why help out the gun grabbers with their lists?  I don't get it.  I will show you my ID or CCW but I wont sign anything.

I guess, I sell most of my guns on here, or other firearm sights or walk around a gun show and the people seem pretty decent.  I always check to make sure they are over 21 and Ohio citizen (all that is required in Ohio)
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for all the PMs and replies everyone.

I'm slowly making progress. Found an LE buddy of mine who wants to buy a G26, sold a 19 to a friend of a friend who wants to protect his family and sold a few more guns through Armslist. There are just some really sketchy people out there!

Thanks for the idea about the burn phone. EXCELLENT idea! "Tryvone" wanted to buy a Glock "downtown", swore he had a CCW but "lost the ID card and can't get it back".

A thanks to Florida gun trader as well. That seems to have more "legit" buyers than any other source. It's amazing how inflated prices are on Armslist. Throw a Glock up there for less than $450 and people start hounding you. I had a few people from Pensacola, Jax, etc (I'm in the Ft Lauderdale area) ask me if I'd drive the gun to them?

Quoted:
man lots of people want bill of sales.  I wont sign them, its not required and why help out the gun grabbers with their lists?  I don't get it.  I will show you my ID or CCW but I wont sign anything.
View Quote

That makes it really convenient. The annoying thing is when someone wants to buy something but won't sign a bill of sale. My rules are my rules. Find the gun someplace else.

Oh, and I love this talk: So I'm selling my G26. Gen 3, about 3 years old. Brand new Triji HDs from June or so. 4 mags, one with a Pierce extension. Box, papers, etc. I figured $400 was a fair asking price.

Old hillbilly calls me up and tells me he can get Glocks all day long at $300. I said that's fantastic, he must be reselling them. He said nope, he knows a guy and gets 'em new. I said I'd give him $350 to buy me a new G26 with 4 mags and night sights and he could keep whatever is left over. He hung up on me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Don't thin out any firearm that would likely be the target of proposed legislative/executive action. You'll double your money easily if you wait to sell those. Starting the summer of 2016 I think as the election nears, we'll see the usual freak out and prices will skyrocket.

Consolidate calibers, dump exotic calibers.
View Quote

Good advice. I'd add that selling stuff you can easily buy again (for example, some off-the-shelf Rem 870) is also a good move.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Find a local shop that will sell on consignment, several of mine do this but usually it's multiple rifles from estates which shouldn't be a problem if we're talking 10 firearms.

We also have some local 'barn' auctions that regularly sell pistols, rifles & shotguns.

Try a local gun show, there's always someone with a sign on their back advertising something for sale, I've seen deals done both within the show and in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I sold most of my collection & all my reloading equipment in march I made $47,000 to put tor-wards my new house

I kept all my stainless S&W, & favorite walther pistols,& most of my 22lr target pistols

I now only really have 5 calibers 12ga, 223, 9mm, 22lr, 357/38, & 5.7 that I stack deep

7mm mauser 8mm mause 30-06r 30-40 krag, & 10 ga I still have but only shoot very little.  so one or 2 boxes of it on the shelf.  

that is how I did it.  I kept stuff I knew I was going to shoot if it was a maybe it went  to auction,
I am pretty happy I went from a whole room including closets as a wal - k in gun safe down to 1 spin gun rack & a small safe. that are noteven full.    

I am surprised so far I am missing my 375 H&H more than my 308s I thought I liked 308 but it turns out I didn't

I am surprised how much I can do with 3 well set up ars all in 5.56
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'd use the EE. It isn't hard.
View Quote

the EE kinda sucks its easy to put stuff for sale on but all you get is offers for 50% of what you asked for.  forr lights it works but not for much else but it is better than gunbroker.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#42]
The few I've sold were online at auction. One was sold to a relative.

It's all about good pictures and a solid description. Doing them all at once is a pain. A couple at a time makes it easy and less stressful.

I've been buying, selling, and owning them long enough to have all keepers. I couldn't sell any at this point.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:05:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unless you have something that is in high demand now, I'd honestly wait until either another surge in demand comes around.

Last like-new G19 I saw sold as a private sale went for $300.   Your price would be more normal, but you're not going to get it from a dealer.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:03:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Get a table at the next gunshow.
View Quote

This
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top