Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is probably older than they make it out to be, the DMRs were withdrawn from service like 8 years ago and when there was shortage of Mk12s they were put back into service as M39 EBRs for non-infantry units usage doing security duty in AFG to allow the infantry units to use Mk12s

The last of the Marines left AFG about a year ago, now we only have a few Marines in Kabul and some ANGLICO Marines supporting an allied nation.
View Quote

The Marine M39 EMRs were never as successful, or as supported as the Army M14EBR-RIs are.
And the total number of Enhanced Marksman Rifles never came close to the number RI built for the Army.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

lol @ the random pile of corn in the background of the middle picture
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/zDI3WTZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PjO2Tf9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lY8lN2a.jpg

Taken from the precision rifle forum.  Somebody posted and said it is a post from a Marine.  I don't know how old they are but they're obviously not OVERLY old.

lol @ the random pile of corn in the background of the middle picture

Dinner!!!!!!!!!  Looks like feed corn though for animals....  I've never tried to eat that.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The military doesn't use the M1A.

M4tth3w didn't ask a question about any military rifle.

Now try again.
View Quote

For all practical purposes, they are the same

The military is phasing out the m14 for rifles you can get as a civilian

You can get a fal, or a g3 style rifle or an ar10, all are far superior to the m14/m1a

So, answer my question, unless you are just going to keep deflecting.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You can get a fal, or a g3 style rifle or an ar10, all are far superior to the m14/m1a

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now try again.

Your comments make no sense, especially the middle one, but you're entitled to your opinion.

And, you can continue asking your questions if you like, but it's clear that the SAI M1A is not obsolete.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A 60's-70's chevelle door would probably slow down a bullet a bit more than a civic.  

I understand your point and it is valid.  Not sure that mine isn't though.  There's no denying that there are a lot of really good guns out there that do a lot of things better than the M14/M1A.  I could care less if the general consensus is that it is "obsolete".  I don't really choose it for my go to gun either.  But that doesn't mean it wouldn't work if a guy worked it.  

These threads pop up regularly about what guns suck and what guns are the best and to me it just gets so.....  well, people get all rabid about the fact that you should have the BEST rifle in their eyes or you're gonna die and get SARS and if you ever shoot the gun that is outdated it's going to explode in your hands and it will rust just faster sitting in your closet because it might be older than the latest gear that just came out.  It just gets kind of dumb.  I always use the MP5 as an example.  A lot of people act like it's a big POS and of course if you had one and used it for home defense you'd kill everyone in your neighborhood because of over penetration and everyone knows that 5.56 is so much better.  But for crying out loud.  You put the thing to your shoulder and you fire it and it goes bang and something on the other end is probably not going to have a good day.   Are there better tools now?  For sure.  But I sure as heck wouldn't scoff at on an MP5.  And I sure as heck don't have a problem if someone thinks an M1A/M14 is a dangerous weapon that could work to put the hurt on something.

Eh?  

View Quote

Clearly a MP5, Garand, M14, a shotgun or even a black powder six gun can be used to kill someone. Or a spear, or a stick, or a..... Nobody ever says in these threads "a (insert firearm here) won't kill somebody," unless they're joking.
Whether the question is "is this rifle obsolete?" or "Is xyz better than zyx?" answering the question doesn't imply that the other option can't be used, or won't hurt somebody, or even there is absolutely nothing a zyx rifles does better than xyz rifle.

This is another aspect of these discussions that I find inexplicable, though it shows up more in shotgun threads, usually. "You said my 870 loaded with birdshot isn't as good a defensive weapon as your AR15, do you want me to shoot you with it? HUH?! You think a 12 gauge won't hurt?"  (I'm sure you've seen that, JJ, you've been around long enough to have seen some of those threads.)
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 12:58:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I hear ya.  Like I said originally, I'm not really qualified to say if it is or isn't obsolete.  And being deadly isn't the only requirement in determining that.  I think there are probably varying levels of what obsolete is.  Like my MP5 example.  It's going be a whole lot more effective then a spear, but maybe not as super top hot shit as the latest MK18 CQB gun.   Where it is that each gun falls is kind of a scale I think.  I have no clue how far down the scale the M1A / M14 should be put.  But I think some people put it down that scale further than maybe it should be.  And then the same could be said in the converse.   That's how I see it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 1:19:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Your comments make no sense, especially the middle one, but you're entitled to your opinion.

And, you can continue asking your questions if you like, but it's clear that the SAI M1A is not obsolete.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now try again.

Makes perfect sense, you can get an m14/m1a, and you can get the rifle that is currently replacing it, due to it being better in every way.

So why pick the m14/m1a?

And why won't you answer my question?
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 1:23:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Those who say that the m14 is not obsolete, do you feel the same about the musket? Or the trapdoor springfield?

They are still capable of taking a life, so that means that they aren't obsolete.

Right?
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 6:02:40 AM EDT
[#9]
My own opinion is an AR style 7.62 / scar is top teir .  I would not feel under gunned with a M14 . I think the m14 is a better rifle than a FAL or a G3 .. Personal prefferance.  WarDawg
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't know where the info on ditching the SCARs is coming from; SCAR H is loved in the US Navy and Marine MEU. The MK14 is soldier on for years in the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines. The M110 and its shorter version will also soldier on for years but I di believe and have heard in many circles the SCAR DMR model will most likely pause out the M110 and MK14 types. The M39 will be around for years till each weapon is worn out or broken beyond reasonable repair, same with Army M21 types.
View Quote

Which of the 7 MEUs love them?

Link Posted: 9/29/2015 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Those who say that the m14 is not obsolete, do you feel the same about the musket? Or the trapdoor springfield?

They are still capable of taking a life, so that means that they aren't obsolete.

Right?
View Quote

So now the M14 is on the same level as a musket or trapdoor.  Yeah, OK.  Makes sense.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So now the M14 is on the same level as a musket or trapdoor.  Yeah, OK.  Makes sense.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right?

That was pretty funny, but was the comment meant to be funny
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I hear ya.  Like I said originally, I'm not really qualified to say if it is or isn't obsolete.  And being deadly isn't the only requirement in determining that.  I think there are probably varying levels of what obsolete is.  Like my MP5 example.  It's going be a whole lot more effective then a spear, but maybe not as super top hot shit as the latest MK18 CQB gun.   Where it is that each gun falls is kind of a scale I think.  I have no clue how far down the scale the M1A / M14 should be put.  But I think some people put it down that scale further than maybe it should be.  And then the same could be said in the converse.   That's how I see it.
View Quote

Very true. A lot of people on here think that intentionally misinterpreting the extremity of a statement lends credence to their argument, for some reason. i.e. "You said xyz firearm isn't as (whatever) as an AR15, therefore, you're saying a xyz is utterly useless and can't kill someone or be used successfully for self defense." Which is asinine, and only serves to make the person using that argument look illiterate and illogical. Of course, it goes both ways. "Xyz isn't an AR15, so it's utterly useless" is about as common as the reverse.

I've noticed this sort of binary thinking in a lot of different topics on this forum. Many gun people seem to prefer narrow, unrealistic considerations of things; "my favorite gun is either the best, or it's useless," "birdshot is either deadly, or it can't harm a fly," or "ft-lbs of energy/caliber/gel tests are the only thing I look at when I choose a gun for self defense, and no other factor."
I suppose it's too tempting to take a difficult, but ultimately more factual grey view of things, versus a black and white outlook.

As far as the M14 goes? It's an extremely cool gun, the last remnant of a concept of warfare that was dead before it was conceived of. It's definitely not as far down the "obsolete ladder" as a musket or manually operated firearm.
However, the STG-44, AK, and AR15, along with less successful designs like the British .280, rendered every mid-century battle rifle, at best, a niche weapon, be it the FAL, G3, M14 or even the AR10. They're definitely obsolete as a standard issue, military weapon, for a number of reasons that we all already can list from memory.
But, you and I aren't outfitting an army, we can afford to have guns just for the sake of having them. I own FALs and Lee Enfields that I wouldn't use in any serious role, and will admit any time someone asks that they're inferior almost in every way to my AR15s. Hell, for a while, the only semi rifle I had was the L1A1, but I could admit that a 45" long, 10lb, .308 was surpassed decades ago, and therefore, is obsolete. Again, obsolete doesn't mean can't or won't work. I can make a phone call on an iphone, a rotary phone, or a handcrank phone on a party line. The rotary phone might give me the best clarity, but nobody will argue that it's not obsolete compared to an iphone, not even people who collect rotary phones. Regardless, the fact that you own a rifle and spend time shooting it puts you significantly ahead of the vast majority of the populace in skill level and survivability.
I just don't see the need to be intellectually dishonest about a certain gun to justify why you own/like/use them for whatever purpose you use a rifle for. Just like I wouldn't see the need to justify why I might want to call over a land line with a nostalgic phone instead of an iphone.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I like them better than the FAL and G3

in the standard USGI configuration, I love the ergonomics, the rifle just feels perfect coming into the shoulder.

It's a really fun rifle to shoot.

I've owned two and both 100% reliable.

However......as soon as these weapons below were developed, the M14 was obsolete, which is to say as soon as it was born....

the pentagon forced 762NATO down NATO's throats, when the Brits, Belgians, Germans, already knew the intermediate cartridge was the future.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:46:05 AM EDT
[#16]
The full-size rifle cartridge and all its advantages never went away.  The effective range of the M14 is greater than that of the STG-44 or AK-47.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The full-size rifle cartridge and all its advantages never went away.  The effective range of the M14 is greater than that of the STG-44 or AK-47.  
View Quote

Shhhh
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:48:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's the DoD, nothing happens fast and the budget crunches that have hit only make it worse. The M14 EBR is a stop gap measure for units that don't have the proper equipment, end of story.

If you have run flat tires on your car and you get a hole you can limp to the gas station; the run flat tire in this scenario is the EBR. The M110 is better in every way that is measured for military small arms. Its easier to scope, clean, work on at the armorer level, more accurate, and features the same manual of arms which reduces time spent on re-training soldiers.

The M14 is certainly obsolete and it being held up as a "stop gap" isn't praiseworthy. I'm not saying it's a bad rifle just that small arms technology has far exceeded its area of expertise and its only used because some units cannot get anything to fill the gap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
03RN, I'm pretty sure the M14EBR-RI is still being used by US troops that remain in Afghanistan.

Its getting phased out

The ar10 (m110) is replacing it

Been listening to that story for a decade now... anyway, how does that affect the M1A?

It's the DoD, nothing happens fast and the budget crunches that have hit only make it worse. The M14 EBR is a stop gap measure for units that don't have the proper equipment, end of story.

If you have run flat tires on your car and you get a hole you can limp to the gas station; the run flat tire in this scenario is the EBR. The M110 is better in every way that is measured for military small arms. Its easier to scope, clean, work on at the armorer level, more accurate, and features the same manual of arms which reduces time spent on re-training soldiers.

The M14 is certainly obsolete and it being held up as a "stop gap" isn't praiseworthy. I'm not saying it's a bad rifle just that small arms technology has far exceeded its area of expertise and its only used because some units cannot get anything to fill the gap.

Don't they mainly see use with Guard units?
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I think the m1a is definitely obsolete, but that doesn't mean it isn't cool.  It's definitely on my list of guns to buy someday, but then again so is a 1917 enfield, a 1903 springfield, an m1 garand, an m1 carbine.  Would All of these rifles still do the job, and do it well? Yes.  Are they obsolete? Yes.

Also, I've been wondering: From what I can see, the arm's FN SCAR17 is routinely a sub-1MOA rifle, and the Knights SR-25 isn't really THAT much better.  Taking light weight and increased reliability into account, why doesn't the military use a SCAR17 with a longer barrel and Geiselle trigger and get rid of the unreliable SR25 altogether?
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right?

They can still kill

Since that is obviously the only criteria of a weapon being obsolete or not, i fail to see your problem.

It's literally the only argument you guys have "wull it can still kill, so it ain't obsolete"
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:38:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right?

Still dodging questions i see
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They can still kill

Since that is obviously the only criteria of a weapon being obsolete or not, i fail to see your problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right?

They can still kill

I don't think that's quite what I said.  And I didn't see anybody else saying that exactly.   But whatever.  It's all just talk.  You are totally entitled to your opinion and for all I know you're the smartest guy in this thread.   It just seemed like an oversimplification of the matter.  To the point of being somewhat rude.   Or maybe it's just meant to be hyperbole and I'm probably misinterpreting.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't think that's quite what I said.  And I didn't see anybody else saying that exactly.   But whatever.  It's all just talk.  You are totally entitled to your opinion and for all I know you're the smartest guy in this thread.   It just seemed like an oversimplification of the matter.  To the point of being somewhat rude.   Or maybe it's just meant to be hyperbole and I'm probably misinterpreting.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right?

They can still kill

Am i the smartest guy in this thread? Maybe, maybe not

If you try and read my comment, you will see that they are not directed towards you, nor did i say that you said something you didn't actually say.

Go back and read this string of comments again

I'll wait.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#24]
If the OP hasn't gotten an answer to his question by now - he never will.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If you try and read my comment, you will see that they are not directed towards you, nor did i say that you said something you didn't actually say.

I'll wait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right?

They can still kill

I'll wait.

I probably missed something.  I apologize.  I'm not going to back to read us arguing about the M1A though.  It's all good for me.  I'm sorry if I irritated you.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Still waiting for you to ask a valid question that pertains to the OP's question.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still dodging questions i see

Still waiting for you to ask a valid question that pertains to the OP's question.

Already have.

If the only reason why the m14 is not obsolete is because it is still lethal, then muskets and trapdoor springfields aren't obsolete.

Why do you have such a hard on for the m14? Does you or your employer have a vested interest in the m14?
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#27]
OK, I can't take it.  

Zak, lethal can mean different things at different times.  I'm not sure exactly what he said, but c'mon, have you seen a trapdoor or musket in military use in the last 10 years?  Why do you have such a hard time letting waterman be a big proponent for them?  They have obviously been used to some degree of proficiency in the last 10 years in combat.  Heck, there are a few guys on this site that actually used them.  One of them obviously isn't posting over here, and I don't think I want to drag him into this, or if any of them would really care to argue about it.  But an M1A/ M14 is going to be a whole heck of a lot more LETHAL in today's world than a musket or trapdoor for all of the obvious reasons.  If for no other reason than you could put more bullets into your target in a lot quicker time than the other two.  

Is that not a reasonable thing to say?  I think it's unreasonable to put it in the same category as the two you keep referencing.  Even if we're talking how LETHAL it is.  I guess we'd have to look up the word lethal but I think at this point we're splitting hairs.  I guess not for you though.  hehehehee
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OK, I can't take it.  

Zak, lethal can mean different things at different times.  I'm not sure exactly what he said, but c'mon, have you seen a trapdoor or musket in military use in the last 10 years? age doesn't matter, only if it can still kill matters Why do you have such a hard time letting waterman be a big proponent for them? refuses to answer my question why he is defending it so vehemently, also refuses to answer any of my other questions They have obviously been used to some degree of proficiency in the last 10 years in combat. perhaps you forget the purpose of the thread, there are people who could use a 1903 springfield with some degree of proficiency in combat, but why would you? Even as a civilian, you have access to far superior weapons  Heck, there are a few guys on this site that actually used them and? .  One of them obviously isn't posting over here, and I don't think I want to drag him into this, or if any of them would really care to argue about it.  But an M1A/ M14 is going to be a whole heck of a lot more LETHAL in today's world than a musket or trapdoor for all of the obvious reasons. so are you saying that technological improvements actually matter, and not just lethality? That just helps proves my point, if you wont take a trapdoor over an m14, why not take an ar10 over an m14?  If for no other reason than you could put more bullets into your target in a lot quicker time than the other two.   and with the ar10, you can do that, more reliably, more comfortably, faster, and with greater precision

Is that not a reasonable thing to say?  I think it's unreasonable to put it in the same category as the two you keep referencing.  Even if we're talking how LETHAL it is.  I guess we'd have to look up the word lethal but I think at this point we're splitting hairs.  I guess not for you though.  hehehehee
View Quote

do me a favor and look up the definition of "obsolete"

Here, ill do it for you

ob·so·lete
?äbs?'let/Submit
adjective
no longer produced or used; out of date.
"the disposal of old and obsolete machinery"
synonyms:outdated, out of date, outmoded, old-fashioned, démodé, passé, out of fashion

The ar10 does everything the m14 does, and it does it better.

That is obsolete.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#29]
In case you missed it.

Quoted:
It's cool how some can make up their own definitions of the
word obsolete, or reinterpret how it's actually defined. 'merica.

Merriam-Webster
Definition of OBSOLETE

no longer in use or no longer useful

Hundreds of thousands of M1As are in use, and their owners find them useful.
The M1A is still being produced, and parts are available to support them.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#30]
So your side of the argument is that the AR-10 made the M14/M1A obsolete.  Because you can mount optics easier?  Oh wait, I remember you saying other reasons.  Easier to maintain, etc etc.  OK.   Those are valid points.  But in a general view of them their both semi auto .308 guns.  And using new stocks does make it more optic and gadget friendly.  But I see what you're saying.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In case you missed it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
In case you missed it.

Quoted:
It's cool how some can make up their own definitions of the
word obsolete, or reinterpret how it's actually defined. 'merica.

Merriam-Webster
Definition of OBSOLETE

no longer in use or no longer useful

Hundreds of thousands of M1As are in use, and their owners find them useful.
The M1A is still being produced, and parts are available to support them.

And the ar10 has rendered it obsolete.

Now answer my question, why are you white knighting for the M14?
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So your side of the argument is that the AR-10 made the M14/M1A obsolete.  Because you can mount optics easier?  Oh wait, I remember you saying other reasons.  Easier to maintain, etc etc.  OK.   Those are valid points.  But in a general view of them their both semi auto .308 guns.  And using new stocks does make it more optic and gadget friendly.  But I see what you're saying.
View Quote

The only thing the M14 does better than an ar10 is trigger nostalgia.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#33]
The one size fits all AR10 is a good choice for some, but what if you don't like a pistol grip?

I owned a nice Armalite AR10, but I prefer the flexibility & commonality I get with the M14.
All M14 type rifles share the same parts & magazines, and you can switch in & out of different
stocks as you please. This makes it possible to customize the rifle to better fit the end user.

Standard stocks, chassis stock with, or without a folding butt stock, and even a bull pup kit.
You would have to try really hard to NOT find an M14/M1A configuration that fits your needs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The one size fits all AR10 is a good choice for some, but what if you don't like a pistol grip?

I owned a nice Armalite AR10, but I prefer the flexibility & commonality I get with the M14.
All M14 type rifles share the same parts & magazines, and you can switch in & out of different
stocks as you please. This makes it possible to customize the rifle to better fit the end user.

Standard stocks, chassis stock with, or without a folding butt stock, and even a bull pup kit.
You would have to try really hard to NOT find an M14/M1A configuration that fits your needs.
View Quote

Congrats! Lipstick on a pig that died in 1943!

Still, you have not answered my question.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#35]
You just quoted my answer.

Read it again, it's ALL there.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know where the info on ditching the SCARs is coming from; SCAR H is loved in the US Navy and Marine MEU. The MK14 is soldier on for years in the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines. The M110 and its shorter version will also soldier on for years but I di believe and have heard in many circles the SCAR DMR model will most likely pause out the M110 and MK14 types. The M39 will be around for years till each weapon is worn out or broken beyond reasonable repair, same with Army M21 types.

I'm tired of the semantics argument. So please answer this question.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You just quoted my answer.

Read it again, it's ALL there.
View Quote

You did not answer my question, which was, why do you have such a vested interest in the M14?

Are you employed by a company that builds m14's/m1a's? Or accessories for said rifles?

You didn't answer a damn thing
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, bless your heart.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Well, bless your heart.
View Quote

Is that all you have?

Normally, "well, bless your heart" is normally reserved for people of simple mind, and given your inability to answer a simple question, you insulting me in that manner is quite ironic.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#40]
I get the feeling Zak has his mind made up, no answer will satisfy him.

It's AR10 or the highway, so I'm heading down the road, and out of this thread.

As for the civilian M1A

Obsolete? NO!
Worthless? NO!

Anyone that says otherwise is wrong, or you just don't understand the question.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Im not even talking about the ar10 anymore, I'm back to the first question i asked.

Which you STILL have not answered.

But hey, keep making snide little comments, it makes you look REAL mature
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Zack,

I am guilty of owning several M1As and have run them for 25 years. I don't believe they (M1As and M-14s) are obsolete. Neither has the US military who have used them since they went into service, although they where replaced by the US Army for widespread use after a relatively short time. But the USMC used them for a longer time, and the USN and Spec Ops have continued to use it because it met needs that the M16 and M4 didn't. We all know it went back into widespread use in the Gulf Wars, and Afghanistan.

While I have M1As and also FALs I've thought about getting .308 ARs since I've run a few but concluded why, since these "classic" MBRs I have meet my needs. .308 ARs date back to the same time period as the M-14 when the AR-10 was developed by Eugene Stoner in the mid-50's but we all know the AR-10 was rejected by the US and had very limited use in its original configuration.

Do you have one (or M1A) or have used that platform?  If so and you don't like the platform that's OK but it doesn't mean its obsolete until it goes out of US service, which it hasn't.

Current M-14s/M1as and .308 ARs are more versatile today than the original designs with either platform. The difference I see is there is no standard .308 AR platform with a multitude of different manufacturers with their variations on the theme. The only standardization is roughly with the magazines and some components. But the ones that the USA has acquired (in small numbers) meet a need, just like the M-14 has/does, albeit with some more versatile ways to mount optics.

So you're entitled to your opinion that that M-14s are obsolete. But in the fine tradition of arfcom we all know the old saying about opinions.

My .02
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're right.

He's been here one year with a lot of posts, and 0% feedback. Adds up to being a producer of a lot of green house gases.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Zack,

I am guilty of owning several M1As and have run them for 25 years. I don't believe they (M1As and M-14s) are obsolete. Neither has the US military who have used them since they went into service, although they where replaced by the US Army for widespread use after a relatively short time. But the USMC used them for a longer time, and the USN and Spec Ops have continued to use it because it met needs that the M16 and M4 didn't. We all know it went back into widespread use in the Gulf Wars, and Afghanistan.

While I have M1As and also FALs I've thought about getting .308 ARs since I've run a few but concluded why, since these "classic" MBRs I have meet my needs. .308 ARs date back to the same time period as the M-14 when the AR-10 was developed by Eugene Stoner in the mid-50's but we all know the AR-10 was rejected by the US and had very limited use in its original configuration.

Do you have one (or M1A) or have used that platform?  If so and you don't like the platform that's OK but it doesn't mean its obsolete until it goes out of US service, which it hasn't.

Current M-14s/M1as and .308 ARs are more versatile today than the original designs with either platform. The difference I see is there is no standard .308 AR platform with a multitude of different manufacturers with their variations on the theme. The only standardization is roughly with the magazines and some components. But the ones that the USA has acquired (in small numbers) meet a need, just like the M-14 has/does, albeit with some more versatile ways to mount optics.

So you're entitled to your opinion that that M-14s are obsolete. But in the fine tradition of arfcom we all know the old saying about opinions.

My .02
View Quote

There are multiple definitions of obsolete.

The ar10, amd fal and g3 have rendered the m14 obsolete.

No i do not own an m14, nor does it matter.

And the us military is replacing the m14 with an ar10, the only reason why the 14 is still used is because the military loves to drag their feet

You should read the thread
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You're right.

He's been here one year with a lot of posts, and 0% feedback. Adds up to being a producer of a lot of green house gases.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right.

Really? this is a tech forum dude, if this is what you come with, you should stay in GD.

at least i support this site

I also find it funny that you say i am full of shit, while agreeing with a guy WHO HAS A FINANCIAL INTEREST IN THE M14/M1A
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I have yet to hear an actual argument, people have just flung poo and tried to discredit me based upon join date, post count, and EE feedback rating.

This isn't GD
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 12:20:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Obsolete? YES! Worthless? NO

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agree. Only reason to own one now is for looks or for the history.

Worthless as a 308 platform compared to the ar10 or more so the scar 17 and scar ssr

Still has the best iron sights out there if you're looking to shoot sans optic....

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 12:50:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Still has the best iron sights out there if you're looking to shoot sans optic....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agree. Only reason to own one now is for looks or for the history.

Worthless as a 308 platform compared to the ar10 or more so the scar 17 and scar ssr

Werd homey.  That's what I was tryin to say earlier.  Although I do admit that an A2 sight with the ghostring is nice in low light, even if it is really blurry for me now......   But line up those things (M14/M1A/Garand) in broad daylight and my eyes feel like they're young again.....  
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

When you brought up Arfcom Tradition, I really expected to read, "Get Both"   Not differing opinions....
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:11:06 PM EDT
[#50]
I think the word I'd use for the M1A is "obsolescent".

It was a nice rifle for its time, but has since been outpaced in any number of important areas - controls, weight, ergonomics, and accuracy. Yes, it's reliable and has great sights, so it's a fun gun to shoot... but I can say the same for any number of other guns.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top