Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2015 3:24:20 PM EDT
...and the answer isn't "Get an Aimpoint"!

I've seen both sides of the Aimpoint v EoTech debate and that's not the purpose of this thread.

For those of you who use them--which do you prefer? Why? What features made you pick one over the other?

Your feedback is appreciated!

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#1]
In before Aimpoint is best.

Depends on what you're looking for, but the latest and greatest is the EXPS series.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had great luck with the regular 512s. I don't use a magnifier so i don't need a bunch of extra rail space. It's also nice to be able to use AAs. You can pick them up used on EE for a little over $300.

I used some beat to shit ones in the army too and liked those. The only problem i ever had was when we turned in our weapons and optics to get inspected and replaced, the battery compartment of the replacement optic had rust on the battery contacts from sitting in a muggy arms room for too long. I was able to clean it up without problems, but that has been my only setback.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had great luck with the regular 512s. I don't use a magnifier so i don't need a bunch of extra rail space. It's also nice to be able to use AAs. You can pick them up used on EE for a little over $300.

I used some beat to shit ones in the army too and liked those. The only problem i ever had was when we turned in our weapons and optics to get inspected and replaced, the battery compartment of the replacement optic had rust on the battery contacts from sitting in a muggy arms room for too long. I was able to clean it up without problems, but that has been my only setback.
View Quote

The battery compartment seems to be the most frequent point of failure on some of the older units. I had an older SU-231 and the little rubber circles with the spring leads in them kept falling out.

The models that use the models that have a single CR123 perpendicular to the rail don't have those issue.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 The perpendicular 123A battery models should be the least prone to battery housing problems.

I think the best model is the 555, but good luck finding one. It uses common AA batteries, and has A.R.M.S. QD throw levers. I've never had a battery problem (or any problem) with my 553.A65 (which is the 123A version of the 555).
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#5]
EXPS series:  Factory QD mount, side controls, short(er) overall length, lower 1/3 co-witness.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#6]
EXPS3-0 has served me very well.

The EE is a great place to pick up used optics at a discounted price.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
EXPS series:  Factory QD mount, side controls, short(er) overall length, lower 1/3 co-witness.
View Quote

This but i still have my original 512 an i love it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Especially after Ron's post. I bet there will be a bunch of eotechs for sale
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 6:22:32 PM EDT
[#9]
XPS2-0 or XPS2-0(side mounted on/off buttons)-they use the 123 batteries, so I have battery commanilty with my optic, weapon lights and handheld lights
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?

I assume R0N told someone the truth about eotechs?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I think mine is the XPS2. I love it but I also love my Aimpoint. I should shoot both on the same day at various targets.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 12:16:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I use the 516 (now is the 518...same with QD). I went with it for the easy to find AA. Side buttons for using a magnifier.

FWIW, I went with the EOTech because my right eye is a bit wonky. Aimpoint dots become angled dashes. The circle reticle stays right for me. As a bonus, for close quarters, the bottom of the circle is my holdover (but I have a high height over bore).
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 12:27:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
...and the answer isn't "Get an Aimpoint"!

I've seen both sides of the Aimpoint v EoTech debate and that's not the purpose of this thread.

For those of you who use them--which do you prefer? Why? What features made you pick one over the other?

Your feedback is appreciated!

View Quote

1 aimpoints suck

2.it depends on how you like your setup & what battery you want.

3 do you need nvg compatible?
4 do you want the 300 blk out reticle or a 5.56 BCD reticle
5. do you want a QD mount

the biggest thing IMO is battery & button placement if you have room the 511 aa bat with the buttons on the back is a great red dot opticI have used one since 04 never a hiccup but if you want a BUIS or other thing like a magnifier  then you have the button on the side set up - I prefer the buttons on the back where I could get to them without fumbling around to much.   I find it hard to push both buttons simultaneously when in the side position. it's easy on the back.

the cr123 versions take up much less rail space than the aa versions

so in conclusion for a basic no frills optic I would go http://www.eotechinc.com/holographic-weapon-sights/model-xps3

buttons on the back uses the cr123 so less rail is taken up  more space mor BUIS or a magnifiyer & it is not QD

I had specific wants when I purchased for my last build I bought a xps 2-0 I wanted the QD mount and the cr123 battery my goal was only one battery for all accessories light lasers optic & night vision and to be able to remove or add all accessories with no tools no allen wrenches no screw drivers.  I did it.  

buttons onthe back uses a
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 12:35:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Link?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?

No, Henderson Defense Ron did another one of his "High Round Count" posts, this time optics.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No, Henderson Defense Ron did another one of his "High Round Count" posts, this time optics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?

Thanks, thats what Iwas talking about
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I appreciate the responses. Unless I were to acquire some sort of clip-on NVD, I don't really see the point in the NV setting on any optic. I've got my NVD on my helmet and a DBAL on my rifle...

It'll be going on a SBR, so I suppose I'd need a EXPS or XPS model since its got to share rail space. I also dislike the on/off buttons on the back (front?) of the unit, so that narrows it down to an EXPS.

Also, +1 with respect to the bottom of the circle as a holdover for CQB.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll put my vote in for the XPS and EPXS models, because of their battery orientation.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#18]
XPS3-0, I hate the QD mounts
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
+1 The perpendicular 123A battery models should be the least prone to battery housing problems.

I think the best model is the 555, but good luck finding one. It uses common AA batteries, and has A.R.M.S. QD throw levers. I've never had a battery problem (or any problem) with my 553.A65 (which is the 123A version of the 555).
View Quote

I agree the aa battery in my 512 would turn off when mounted on a shotgun from the recoil. Had to get an update with stronger springs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 3:04:56 PM EDT
[#20]
The one without battery drain issues.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a 511 model that accepted N batteries. I hated the battery life, kept going dead. I would like to have one that didn't have battery drain issues and accepted common batteries.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The one without battery drain issues.
View Quote

I've had battery drain exactly once on my 512.  One of the OEM Energizer Industrial batteries took a shit and started outputting negative voltage.  I put a set of lithium's in there and it's been in the safe for years without drain.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#23]
My 512 let me down a couple times with it's known history of contact and battery drain issues. After EoTech sent me a rebuild kit it's held up so far. However I don't trust it any more after that.

I rolled the dice on a EXPS for my Tavor and it's been rock solid so far.

FWIW, I've never had a problem with any of my Aimpoints.

Edit to add: 11/29/15 Got my Tavor out of the safe. Haven't shot it in a couple months so I checked the flashlight and EoTech. EoTech EXPS doesn't fire up. Dead. 10 hours tops on this thing and eats the battery. It did turn on with a battery change but man that's pretty unimpressive. I have a couple cheapo Vortex Strikefire that are over 2 years old on the original battery. Going to give it one more chance. It does it again and it's gone.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#24]
EXPS2, or EXPS3 if you want nv capable.

Side mounted buttons, qd levers, lower 1/3rd, etc.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm stuck in 2002.

511 N-Cell Models
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In before Aimpoint is best.

Depends on what you're looking for, but the latest and greatest is the EXPS series.
View Quote

FPNI
I have a few EXPS, I like the 3-0 or the 2-0, the difference being NV capable.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:18:04 PM EDT
[#27]
If I HAD to use a Eotech, I would look at the EXPS models with the CR123 battery mounted sideways...

Luckily I don't have to use an EoTech.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#28]
The only EOTech I own is an EXPS model with the CR123 battery mounted sideways.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:59:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The only EOTech I own is an EXPS model with the CR123 battery mounted sideways.
View Quote

We just broke of these at work. Or an EXP2. Something about a lens breaking loose, and NOT from external use/abuse like the lens getting punched out. And sick of how often we change the damn batteries on sights that spend most of the time turned off, and replaced monthly regardless. Those are 512 types that eat the AA's. DO NOT LIKE.

Aimpoint. Maybe Trijicon MRO but time will tell. I'm trying to get one to try out for myself.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Well THAT sucks.

I love my Aimpoints, and I would like to see an Aimpoint with a reticle similar to the EOTech.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:32:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well THAT sucks.

I love my Aimpoints, and I would like to see an Aimpoint with a reticle similar to the EOTech.

https://savannaharsenal.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/holoreticle.jpg
View Quote

Ironically I have a hard time finding the EOTech ret than an Aimpoint dot when I don't have it shouldered. But that's just me, and how the tube makes it easier to find center.

When shouldered and coming up from the low ready, either ret is right there, so I'm not searching for either. That's not exactly chaotic battle conditions, but still.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#32]
With the news of Eotechs suffering permanent, irreparable shifts in zero, up to several inches, in extreme cold, and living in Minnesota, I'll have to change my answer to "there is no best Eotech."
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:26:49 AM EDT
[#33]
I have been issued both and owned both.

The Eotechs shit the bed.

I will NEVER own another POS Eotech.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#34]
I've got a 511 I use on my AR-15 with dedicated 22 LR upper.  Only time it has failed me is when I left it in a hot car on a 95+ degree day.  The sight came on but just wasn't bright enough.  I just used my BUIS that day.  I have two 512's and have always used Lithium AA batteries.  Never had an issue with either 512.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#35]
There's some issues with EOtech that is shown HERE.

On 14 September, the SOF Weapons Program Management Office at NSWC Crane released a Safety of Use Message regarding issues with EOTech’s Enhanced Combat Optical Sights (ECOS), which is how they refer to HWS. So you may want to stay away from the specific models listed in this report.  YMMV
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:02:57 AM EDT
[#36]
I ditched my Eotech for a scope. At 1x power it essentially works like a red dot but it also gives me the ability to 6X for longer ranges. Also crosshairs work fine when battery dead. 5 min auto off when undisturbed and instant on when moved. Bad MOFO.

Leupold VX-6 Rifle Scope 30mm 1-6x 24mm (CDS) FireDot Circle
Aero Precision Ultralight 30mm SPR AR15 Scope Mount
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:47:57 AM EDT
[#37]
If you really like the circle dot reticle and larger window of the EoTechs but don't like the reliability problems*, the Meprolight M21 deserves a look.

Pluses:
1) No battery.
2) Always on, uses sunlight in the day and tritium at night.
3) Auto adjusting reticle brightness.
4) Available with a variety of reticle patterns: bullseye, empty X, triangle, dots of various sizes.
5) It's general issue to the IDF, who aren't known for using fashionable gear that doesn't get the job done.
6) The projected reticle doesn't have a much sensitivity to astigmatism**.

Minuses:
1) Washout can when shooting from dark into light can make the reticle hard to see.
2) Reticle can bloom in bright sunlight (fixable by taping over some of the fiber light collector).
3) Tritium has a 12.5 year half life, so it's going to need to be refurbished eventually.

Every optic involves compromise, what's best for you depends on which compromises you're willing to accept.

AJ

*I've personally seen three EoTechs fail. Two were the older model where the reticle ran away into the corner. Both were reset  pulling the battery for five minutes. The third was a CR123 battery type that had a dead battery when the owner pulled it out at the range.
**At least for me. I see Aimpoint reticle a as a starburst or Nike swoosh. The M21 reticle doesn't have the same effect.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#38]
I've had 3 EOtechs and I still have 2 Aimpoints.  My official answer is, "get an Aimpoint."  That said, if you must get an EOtech, don't get anything with more than the single center dot.  The "BDC" extra dots are distracting and too close together to be of any use.  Also, only get a new/current model.  The battery drain issues were not myths.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top