Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2015 6:23:04 AM EDT
I know that OA has a reputation for poor quality, but I must say that the new OA-93 piston pistol has my attention.

I've always thought that AR's with short barrels and buffer tubes should have stocks on them.  The ATF makes acquiring one an intrusive process.  So people buy AR 'pistols' that are really nothing more than SBR's without a stock.

A piston gun (like RRA's LAR-PDS Pistol) is, to me, a true AR pistol, and I've thought a lot lately about acquiring one.  I own an Adams Arms 7.5" 'pistol' and I like it, but it has a buffer tube - which sucks in 'pistol' mode.  I have an SBR lower, so I can at least put that upper on my lower and have a nice little compact 5.56 SBR.  (And I have no interest in the Sig Brace, for that very reason.)

Does anyone have an OA-93?  Or does anyone want to chime in and tell me to stay away from Olympic guns altogether?

I'm considering buying one.  I know RRA probably makes the better gun, but I hold a long-standing grudge against that company, and I won't give them a penny of my hard-earned cash.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:31:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never owned an OA-93 but I've thought about getting one also. I have owned a 16" carbine and it shot just as good as my Colt 6920. Don't believe everything you read about Olympic quality being poor.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:12:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never owned an OA-93 but I've thought about getting one also. I have owned a 16" carbine and it shot just as good as my Colt 6920. Don't believe everything you read about Olympic quality being poor.
View Quote

This. The QC issues were a thing of the past. My Olympic 16" carbine shoots very well. The automatic versions of their rifles are well received from the people I know who operate them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:12:09 PM EDT
[#3]
John Clark says, "good choice".
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Why not an MCX pistol?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Why not an MCX pistol?
View Quote

I need to look at it.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a friend who owns an OA-93.  Great little pistol.  He said he has never had any issues with it, if that matters to you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#7]
For that barrel length, you would be just as good shooting a .22 lr.

Waste of powder.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This. The QC issues were a thing of the past. My Olympic 16" carbine shoots very well. The automatic versions of their rifles are well received from the people I know who operate them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were never any QC issues with Oly, aside from the Plinker, a cast frame AR.  You have to go back to the old board to get the run down on Oly and the AR world.  In brief, Oly made some subtle changes to the design, mostly cosmetic.  The Bushmaster Mafia started a pissing match with the sales director of Oly about who made the most "mil-spec" AR.  It quickly degenerated and Oly told arfcom what they could do with their website and left, never to return.  After that everyone piled on Oly.  My first AR was an Oly and it ran like a champ.  Oly has been making AR's longer than anyone except Colt and are one of the few than make everything in house.  Their barrels in particular are very good.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Tight chamber on mine had few extraction problem when new but after about 100rds runs like a sewing machine and VERY accurate. Cons: weights as much as an M240b and cannot be easily field stripped. Having said that, I like it very much for its uniqueness.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:01:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There were never any QC issues with Oly, aside from the Plinker, a cast frame AR.  You have to go back to the old board to get the run down on Oly and the AR world.  In brief, Oly made some subtle changes to the design, mostly cosmetic.  The Bushmaster Mafia started a pissing match with the sales director of Oly about who made the most "mil-spec" AR.  It quickly degenerated and Oly told arfcom what they could do with their website and left, never to return.  After that everyone piled on Oly.  My first AR was an Oly and it ran like a champ.  Oly has been making AR's longer than anyone except Colt and are one of the few than make everything in house.  Their barrels in particular are very good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^This^^. I had an Oly 20" SUM (1:10) SGW Lower  thing was a prairie dogs nightmare, with irons!. Their factory AR triggers were very smooth. The wife's AR's ran them till i switched them out for ALG's.   I'd buy one for another suppressed SBR. IF i wasn't saving coin for one of those Ruger Precision's.
The only issue i had with them was their 93 pistol made to meet 94 AWB specs, where someone took a drill and went to town punching holes any and every where. Looked like a cheese grater

The OLY bashers seem to have (conveniently) forgotten the 1999 BM debacle of over torqued bbls. . Among other mfg issues with their guns.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is correct. The Plinker was a freaking joke, but every Oly I ever had shot damn good and was reliable.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 1:17:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I started building and working on AR's in the 1980's (before it was cool, before this site, before the internet). Olys (along with SGWs and PWAs) were the most problematic, piss-poor, POS AR's  I ever dealt with. Nothing in recent memory comes close except the trash that idiot ross rogio was cobbling together in Fayetteville, NC a few years back (2009-ish?) It got to the point that I didn't even want to assemble kits from those companies that other people got me to put together for them that they were buying from shotgun news or wherever they were getting them (which I would typically do for a case of beer if I knew you) all in the name of saving a little $. The guns would almost always have problems and it would look like I put it together wrong. Uppers and lowers that didn't fit right, plastic buffers filled with bird shot, crappy BCGs and components, gas tubes of inferior gauge metal, on and on. Even if Oly worked out their problems and totally changed EVERYTHING, I still have nothing for them. I would advise you to get with someone who really knows what he's doing and build a DI pistol AR with a 10" barrel and carbine gas tube out of quality components, if you want a pistol. Just my 2 cents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top