Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2015 12:19:57 AM EDT
Been wanting one of these for years, but availability was always spotty and pricing was all over the place. Got an email from KVAR a few weeks ago saying they had some in stock, but with the poor service I've received from them in the past I refused to buy from them. It had lit a fire under my butt to find one though so I started the search. Found one on Gunbroker with no bids or reserve for $599 and won the auction. For less than $650 shipped and transferred it was in my hands. Taking it out to the range on Sat to try it out for the first time with some Tulammo and Hornady SST. Can't wait to put it through its paces and if it lets me down accuracy wise I'll drop a 6.5 Grendel barrel on it and go from there. I'm leaving it with iron sights so if it shoots 3 MOA or better with cheap ammo I'll be happy. The trigger is nice...both set and in standard mode. Review to follow.

This is what they mean by "micro Mauser"

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 12:39:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats I've always wanted one of those but other rifles have gotten in the way
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:56:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Looking foward to the review
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 4:32:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Such a great woods gun.  Now that they are more available this is awfully tempting.  Look forward to your review.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Huge 527 fan here (I have the .204)

One of the best off the shelf values in rifles available.

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Friend has one in .223.  Has a great set trigger.  To set, you push the trigger forward.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I liken very much.

They trimmed their catalog options a lot in the last few years. I want a compact in 22 hornet but the option is only in your caliber and 223.   Fireball would be nice but I won't hold my breath for that one to come back.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks great, I always wanted one in 6.5 Grendel but I just couldn't justify the cost.  I was still tempted to buy one and keep it in 7.62 X 39.  Looking forward to your range report.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#8]
There full-length stock and peep sight would make a sweet stalking rifle
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 12:14:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I liken very much.

They trimmed their catalog options a lot in the last few years. I want a compact in 22 hornet but the option is only in your caliber and 223.   Fireball would be nice but I won't hold my breath for that one to come back.
View Quote

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=501292704
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice pick-up.  I'd love to get one myself as I stock x39 for other rifles
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Tempting!!!

I am holding out for cz to add some options to their compact model.  I like the short lop.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome rifles...fun to shoot.

From what I know of them, you obtained a fairly decent deal on yours.

Congrats.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:48:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a 527 Carbine in .223 that I'm more than impressed with

CZ did good with these rifles
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Fantastic rifle.

My dream rifle would be that or a mini mauser. Peep sight, 10 rd mag, stripper clip guide and synthetic stock
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a Remington 799 in 7.62x39 from CDNN several years ago.  Rifle shoots great with Wolf black box HP ammo.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I bought a Remington 799 in 7.62x39 from CDNN several years ago.  Rifle shoots great with Wolf black box HP ammo.
View Quote

Lucky. Mine never extracted reliably enough to work on the accuracy. Sent it back twice.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Lucky. Mine never extracted reliably enough to work on the accuracy. Sent it back twice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No issues with my 799 either.  It has been a great little rifle.

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Convert one to grendel. You won't regret it.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:16:19 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

That was actually the original plan, but it's so cheap to shoot and surprisingly accurate (enough for iron sights anyways) that I'll likely pick up a second one for the Grendel conversion. Problem is I'll end up turning a $650 rifle into a $2800 project. I already have a barrel profile picked out (Bartlien #3). Then to top it off I'll need a matching AR....  Yes... Best to just stick with 7.62x39 for now. Details on your build?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:01:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Awesome rifles...fun to shoot.

From what I know of them, you obtained a fairly decent deal on yours.

Congrats.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 3:00:25 AM EDT
[#21]
How much of a pain in the ass would it be to convert one of these to 5.45x39?

totally useless but for some reason the idea of a 5.45 bolt gun just sounds interesting
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That was actually the original plan, but it's so cheap to shoot and surprisingly accurate (enough for iron sights anyways) that I'll likely pick up a second one for the Grendel conversion. Problem is I'll end up turning a $650 rifle into a $2800 project. I already have a barrel profile picked out (Bartlien #3). Then to top it off I'll need a matching AR....  Yes... Best to just stick with 7.62x39 for now. Details on your build?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Howa advised me via e-mail a few months ago they were going to sell their micro mini action chambered in 6.5 Grendel.  Still haven't been released.  Legacy Sports is the importer and they are advising 4th quarter 15 or early 2016.   The 223/5.56/204 micro mini actions look like nice rifles so I'm hopeful the 6.5 Grendel gets here soon.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

totally useless but for some reason the idea of a 5.45 bolt gun just sounds interesting
View Quote

Someone was making Savage model 10 barrels in 5.45 for a while. Apparently they had issues getting them to shoot well and ignite the hard primers.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Beautiful!

Who cut your stock for the riser?
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:25:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some years ago Savage said they were going to make their Model 25 (I think that was it) in 5.45x39.  That plan may have been scrapped after the 7N6 ban.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#26]
What's the bore mic out to on these?  Will Russkie/Chicom ammo shoot well?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#27]
300 Black out ?....
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What's the bore mic out to on these?  Will Russkie/Chicom ammo shoot well?
View Quote

Yes.  They're built to shoot .311 diameter bullets....not like the Rugers with bores designed for .308 bullets....
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:03:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I found the rifle to be extremely handy and fun to shoot, but I had some really mixed results shooting it with irons, even at 25 yards.

I put a scope on mine. This is what happened the first range trip-

That's regular Wolf black box ammo at 100yds. (The two holes at the top of the paper are punched for hanging the targets.)
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:32:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I found the rifle to be extremely handy and fun to shoot, but I had some really mixed results shooting it with irons, even at 25 yards.

I put a scope on mine. This is what happened the first range trip-

That's regular Wolf black box ammo at 100yds. (The two holes at the top of the paper are punched for hanging the targets.)
View Quote

Typical results with the cheap stuff, throw in some quality rounds and I can often get all five touching
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:56:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Howa advised me via e-mail a few months ago they were going to sell their micro mini action chambered in 6.5 Grendel.  Still haven't been released.  Legacy Sports is the importer and they are advising 4th quarter 15 or early 2016.   The 223/5.56/204 micro mini actions look like nice rifles so I'm hopeful the 6.5 Grendel gets here soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wallet did not need to know this.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:02:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

great, now if they would sell those without the Hogue stock
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:35:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Second range trip was yesterday.  After a box the I discovered the floor plate was 1/2 way removed.  I slid it back on and it didn't want to lock.  Finally got it to lock and shot two more boxes.  It did it again at some point towards the end of the second box.  Going to contact CZ about the magazine and see if they'll hook me up with a new one.  Otherwise been great.  I almost hated to post it, but in the spirit of being unbiased I figured I would put it out there.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I have one in 7.62x39.

Cool little rifles.

I traded with a friend who liked one of my other rifles.

I have noted that I had some fails to fire with UBER cheap Tula ammo, and accuracy was mediocre.

My buddy said that with high quality ammo (factory and reloads), his was a tack driver. I don't intend to reload for this cartridge, but I may pick up some factory "match" ammo.

I was very surprised to learn that Lapua makes match ammo for this cartridge.

These are fun little guns and the set trigger is amazing.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have one in 7.62x39.

Cool little rifles.

I traded with a friend who liked one of my other rifles.

I have noted that I had some fails to fire with UBER cheap Tula ammo, and accuracy was mediocre.

My buddy said that with high quality ammo (factory and reloads), his was a tack driver. I don't intend to reload for this cartridge, but I may pick up some factory "match" ammo.

I was very surprised to learn that Lapua makes match ammo for this cartridge.

These are fun little guns and the set trigger is amazing.
View Quote

There's an easy fix for the light primer strikes.  It's a burr on almost all of the earlier rifles inside the bolt.  Let me see if I can find the thread...
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Been wanting one of these for years, but availability was always spotty and pricing was all over the place. Got an email from KVAR a few weeks ago saying they had some in stock, but with the poor service I've received from them in the past I refused to buy from them. It had lit a fire under my butt to find one though so I started the search. Found one on Gunbroker with no bids or reserve for $599 and won the auction. For less than $650 shipped and transferred it was in my hands. Taking it out to the range on Sat to try it out for the first time with some Tulammo and Hornady SST. Can't wait to put it through its paces and if it lets me down accuracy wise I'll drop a 6.5 Grendel barrel on it and go from there. I'm leaving it with iron sights so if it shoots 3 MOA or better with cheap ammo I'll be happy. The trigger is nice...both set and in standard mode. Review to follow.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/cms81586/image_zpsx9eblp65.jpg
This is what they mean by "micro Mauser"
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/cms81586/image_zpstt9u04lm.jpg
View Quote

Awesome....ALWAYS wanted one.  Will get some day.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Just got one a few weeks ago for $640 and still haven't had time to go try it out so I'm hoping for next week.  It's light and handy and if it shoots the 154gr Tula decently to 200m, it will be my deer gun this year.
With a CZ550 varmint 308/Bushnell 4200 6-24x40, 527 has a Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I just put 40 rounds through mine yesterday.

Mine wears a 1-3x  Weaver. Perfect sized scope for a smaller rifle like this.

The triggers are awesome!
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#39]
The 527 is one of my all time favorite 7.62x39 rifles

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here ya go.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=515135677
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here ya go.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=515135677

Those SSG's had a tendency of breaking extractors, with no replacements in sight. A company made Savage Axis barrels in 5.45 a year or so ago.  

ETA: It was CMP Armory...

Here you go...

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/14-general-discussion/140094-5-45-bolt-gun-update-range-report.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top