Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2015 5:01:05 PM EDT
I am wondering if a buyer can get a copy of the 4473?  I have an ar pistol w a sig brace and in ohio I can legally carry this concealed or leader in my car. I never do but if I would carry it less in my car and get pulled over I find it hard to believe a cop would just believe me that it's legal. Should I worry?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#1]
A 4473 isn't going to change his mind
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A 4473 isn't going to change his mind
View Quote

ESPECIALLY if you have the sig brace on the buffer.  If it's suppose to be a pistol, make it look like a pistol . No form of butt stock that
"someone" might interpret as a stock. 3/4 of LE out there have no clue when it comes to pistols that look like AR's or AK's, all they see is ASSAULT WEAPON.

You want to carry something that can verify it's a pistol. How about the ad from the mfg or distributor. An LE has No Business looking at a 4473. You might as well allow a vehicle search when they ask.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't give a customer a copy of his 4473 and most of the dealers I know wouldn't either.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wouldn't give a customer a copy of his 4473 and most of the dealers I know wouldn't either.
View Quote

Honest question  - why not?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wondering why as well. I feel like I should snap pics of it with my phone. I'm signing a document that I have no record of. Seems odd.

Carrying an add from Daniel defense is a good idea. I'll do that just in case.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Because of all of the information that is filled out below the customer signature line with respect to the background check, etc.  If pressed, would probably be okay with the first page and the signature/date block on top of the second.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
As a dealer, I would (and have). In any industry, if someone's signing something, they should be able to obtain a copy of whatever they just signed. Why wouldn't they? There's nothing secret about background check responses. Don't you tell them all that information anyway?

That being said, I don't see how a 4473 would really help the OP in any way... It doesn't prove anything. It can be wrong.

I think some printed information from the BATFE would be a better document to show a cop. (I'm a cop.)

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

As a dealer, I would (and have). In any industry, if someone's signing something, they should be able to obtain a copy of whatever they just signed. Why wouldn't they? There's nothing secret about background check responses. Don't you tell them all that information anyway?  

That being said, I don't see how a 4473 would really help the OP in any way... It doesn't prove anything. It can be wrong.

I think some printed information from the BATFE would be a better document to show a cop. (I'm a cop.)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you for bringing sanity back to the idiot who said he never would.  If I can't get a copy of a doc I signed with you that is instant shady.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why not?  It's just a form...
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Why I think the form would help is because they would see it listed as a pistol.  Right?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:12:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Why I think the form would help is because they would see it listed as a pistol.  Right?
View Quote

Again it won't likely help you.  Many in law enforcement aren't gun people, nor do they really know the rules and regulations regarding pistol vs rifle and regulations regarding NFA firearms.  

Get a copy if you really absolutely want to, or if it'll make you sleep better at night.  In your proposed scenario though it'll do you jack squat.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seeing how you're a newer member. If that's what you want to believe, go for it. To a LE it's a piece of paper, they'll tell you. Your lawyer can present that in court. I don't care to read it, i know the law.

Which most of them don't. Unless they're a real gun owner. Like say 1/2 dozen guns, maybe even reload. Those I own a gun and this don't look like something you hunt with permeates a lot of agency's.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Many rebate programs want a copy of the 4473.  There's nothing on there that's a state secret.  I've gotten copies a couple of times over the years.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:30:55 PM EDT
[#15]
If you can carry concealed LEGALLY, why would you poke the bear? The IDIOTS
who pushed the "open carry" envelope DID NOT help the cause. An AR or AK pistol is dicey anyway; even to
pro gun folks so I don't understand what the attraction would be.

I'm not trying to be a spoiler here, just want to understand why?

And before the flame I'm out here behind the lines in Kalifornastan and own a PAP 92 w/ a Sig brace that is a blast!
bullet button and all
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:08:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  If you can carry concealed LEGALLY, why would you poke the bear? The IDIOTS
who pushed the "open carry" envelope DID NOT help the cause.
An AR or AK pistol is dicey anyway; even to
pro gun folks so I don't understand what the attraction would be.

I'm not trying to be a spoiler here, just want to understand why?

And before the flame I'm out here behind the lines in Kalifornastan and own a PAP 92 w/ a Sig brace that is a blast!
bullet button and all
View Quote

OCT got an issue on the ballot & passed in one session - that's a win in my book.  In a lot of states SBR isn't legal, hence the attraction to AR & AK pistols.  One should ALWAYS first build a new AR receiver as a pistol first anyway, before putting the stock on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top