Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2015 4:34:21 PM EDT
An old-timer at the rifle range admired my vintage Sako .308, dug around in his shooting box, and gave me a box of ammunition, since he no longer has a .308.

About the seventh or eighth shot, I got kicked like a Missouri mule and sprayed with hot gases. The scope recoiled into my face, then came right out of its dovetails and fell off the rifle. (Sako integral rings.)

The case was ruptured and stuck in the chamber and the primer was flattened.

I took a closer look at the ammunition. The headstamps were Remington, but the box was Winchester. I’m going to guess that they were reloads.

Morals of the story:
1. Accept neither candy nor ammunition from strangers.
2. Wear shooting glasses.

I've looked the rifle over with a magnifying glass and can't find anything obviously wrong with it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Be glad you didn't post this in GD.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got nothing here...
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 6:33:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Most bolt guns are rather rugged.  You could try to contact Sako and see what they think.  I'm sure they proof test them at pretty high loads.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I suppose you could call a dentist and see if they cant x-ray it for cracks?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#5]
It's probably fine. Sako's are well-made. Check closely where the rupture occurred. That's the point of the highest gas pressure which could cause damage, but if you don't see anything obviously stretched, bent, or cracked, then I wouldn't worry about it. The bolt still feels the same (empty and on newly-fired rounds), right? If so, carry on.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I took the bolt apart and looked at everything with a magnifying glass. I can't see any damage at all. The escaping gases obviously came out the gas relief hole instead of blowing out the extractor or something.

The scope seems a little out of focus until I undo the locking ring on the ocular lens and "tilt" it a bit. Then it's miraculously clear. Not sure what's going on with it or if there's a fix. I think that I either bent the tube or did some internal damage.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, scope is probably toast. I'd send it in. If you don't like the quote, you'll probably just be out the shipping. Optics companies are usually really great on service.

Glad the vent hole functioned as intended!
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#8]
i'd at least take it to a good gun smith and have him look it over just to be safe.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:48:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i'd at least take it to a good gun smith and have him look it over just to be safe.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:58:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Yikes! Glad you're OK.

#1. Never shoot anyone else's reloads. (Unless you really, REALLY trust them.)

#2. Contact Sako, let them know what happened, and send it in to be examined/fixed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:47:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
... #1. Never shoot anyone else's reloads. (Unless you really, REALLY trust them.)
View Quote

It didn't even occur to me that they might be reloads until afterwards.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#12]
You can look at the bolt all you want, but a set of actual headspace gauges would be a better idea.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a Sako L-579.  It is about 50 years old.  Beautiful rifle, superbly accurate.  The action is strong.  Do you have headspace gauges?  Go, no-go, and field? Its a good idea to invest in them.  Over time, headspace will gradually increase.  Hot, overpressure loads can do this quickly.  I don't know if a single overpressure load can do it.  Did the case rupture?  Where? What does the case look like?  Pics would be nice.  Some of the other loads he gave you may have been too hot, too, but not enough to vent the gasses.

Excess headspace stretches the case and leads to case separation just ahead of the head.  Also, if the guy's brass was not only too hot, but also had the shoulder set back too far, then there was excess headspace even if your bolt and chamber are in spec.

I would check headspace.  Any good gunsmith will have those gauges if you don't.  It would be cheap peace of mind to verify that the bolt and chamber are still in spec.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a Sako L-579.  It is about 50 years old.  Beautiful rifle, superbly accurate.  The action is strong.  Do you have headspace gauges?  Go, no-go, and field? Its a good idea to invest in them.  Over time, headspace will gradually increase.  Hot, overpressure loads can do this quickly.  I don't know if a single overpressure load can do it.  Did the case rupture?  Where? What does the case look like?  Pics would be nice.  Some of the other loads he gave you may have been too hot, too, but not enough to vent the gasses.

Excess headspace stretches the case and leads to case separation just ahead of the head.  Also, if the guy's brass was not only too hot, but also had the shoulder set back too far, then there was excess headspace even if your bolt and chamber are in spec.

I would check headspace.  Any good gunsmith will have those gauges if you don't.  It would be cheap peace of mind to verify that the bolt and chamber are still in spec.
View Quote

The case ruptured lengthwise beginning at the base and heading towards the neck for about half an inch, and the primer was flattened.

I had a gunsmith look it over. He gave it a thumbs-up.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The case ruptured lengthwise beginning at the base and heading towards the neck for about half an inch, and the primer was flattened.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why Sako rifles have the reputation they do.  That rupture description also makes me feel better that headspace was not an issue.  The case couldn't handle the pressure and the Sako action's pressure relief system and action strength saved it and you.

The scope might still be ok.  I'd not give up on it just because the mounts detached.  That must have been quite an overpressure recoil.  Sako dovetails slope from wide in the front to narrow in the back.  Recoil should make them tighter rather than looser.  I hope the dovetail grooves on the receiver were not damaged.  Rings can be replaced.

Glad you are ok and that your "take away" from the event is a heightened awareness of the dangers associated with shooting anyone's reloads except your own.  My reloads are also chamber specific.  I will not shoot them in any rifle other than the one they were worked up in, even if the other rifles in the same caliber are my own.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
...The scope might still be ok.  I'd not give up on it just because the mounts detached.  That must have been quite an overpressure recoil.  Sako dovetails slope from wide in the front to narrow in the back.  Recoil should make them tighter rather than looser.  I hope the dovetail grooves on the receiver were not damaged.  Rings can be replaced...
View Quote

I think it came off the dovetails asymmetrically, and torqued the tube or something. Or maybe it was simply the fall. Or hitting my hard head. It's blurry now, unless I loosen the lock ring for the ocular lens and "bend" it a little - then the clarity is normal. but as soon as I tighten the lock ring again, it goes blurry.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think it came off the dovetails asymmetrically, and torqued the tube or something. Or maybe it was simply the fall. Or hitting my hard head. It's blurry now, unless I loosen the lock ring for the ocular lens and "bend" it a little - then the clarity is normal. but as soon as I tighten the lock ring again, it goes blurry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...The scope might still be ok.  I'd not give up on it just because the mounts detached.  That must have been quite an overpressure recoil.  Sako dovetails slope from wide in the front to narrow in the back.  Recoil should make them tighter rather than looser.  I hope the dovetail grooves on the receiver were not damaged.  Rings can be replaced...

Yeah, sounds like it is damaged.  If its a decent scope you might check with mfg about sending it in for warranty or repair.  I'll avoid the whole story, but the only scope I ever had fail in the field had its occular lens shattered against a boulder in a fall.  I contacted mfg, was honest, got repair estimate and sent back with credit card info.  It was repaired and returned no charge, even though it was not their fault.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top