Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2015 5:26:27 PM EDT
I would like to have a bolt action prefer 308 but can be something else close,  I like the sights on my M1A and AR rifles would like something close to that.  I have a no 4 enfield and will be selling that, the  ruger gunsite would probably be the one but sights need a tool to adjust and the peep is rather large.  Does anybody make a bolt action 308 with and ar15 a2 type sight system.  Prefer something still in production and that takes mags.

Snowman357
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Savage has a scout rifle with detach mags and peep sight in their LE line.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know if this is what you are looking for but the Williams Foolproof model receiver sight can be had with adjustment knobs for windage and elevation.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Could always go big and get an AI rifle with iron sights
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Not going to spend the money to get an iron sighted AI, thought of the Williams sights but was hoping for a total package magazine fed rifle with sights.  The savage and ruger look good but don't care for how the sights are adjusted.  May still work with no sight adjustment shooting 50 to 300 yards(mostly 100 and 200) may look at ballistics and zero points.

snowman357
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 7:41:20 AM EDT
[#5]
double clicked
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#6]

How much are you wanting to spend?

Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle (GSR)

Mossberg MVP Scout

Steyr Scout

Savage Scout

Those are the others that come to mind as production guns which have peep style iron sights (granted they're not all great peeps...more like backups...but peeps none the less).
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Alternative idea: find a nice fin m39 and install a set of aftermarket peep sights--there are a couple available that I know. Relatively inexpensive gun that shoots well + cheap ammo= win
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:10:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Alternative idea: find a nice fin m39 and install a set of aftermarket peep sights--there are a couple available that I know. Relatively inexpensive gun that shoots well + cheap ammo= win
View Quote

I think this is a great idea - I have 5 M39's and all are very accurate.  You can't beat the price of surplus for cheap shooting.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#9]
If you can track down an Australian International Arms 7.62x39 M-10 carbine, you'd have a handy bolt-action Enfield carbine that takes AK mags.  They were only sold through Gander Mountain for a brief time.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't know if this is what you are looking for but the Williams Foolproof model receiver sight can be had with adjustment knobs for windage and elevation.
View Quote

You at still need a screw driver to adjust them. The knobs aren't like the old Lyman that you can adjust at will. The Williams have a set screw that must be loosened before adjusting and they are not designed to be shot with the lockin screw loose.

Advntrjnky
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just don't get one of the peeps that mount in the stock location. They defeat the purpose of a peep.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Does Tech-sight make a click adjustable rear for the GSR?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:21:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Looked into a 1903a3?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How much are you wanting to spend?

Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle (GSR)
Mossberg MVP Scout
Steyr Scout
Savage Scout

Those are the others that come to mind as production guns which have peep style iron sights (granted they're not all great peeps...more like backups...but peeps none the less).
View Quote

I own three of those guns
the steyr
the GSR
the savage

if you're willing to drop the coin. the steyr is worth it. it's my favorite rifle
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looked into a 1903a3?
View Quote

One of my favorites but OP wants .308 and removable box mag. I think GSR with click adjustable rear would fit the bill perfectly. I would want controlled feed for a scout rifle not center feed so a milsurp or the 77 action is perfect though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#16]
My suggestion: Turn the gas valve found on your M1A OFF, and shoot it as a straight pull.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I wonder if Tikka will sell those Canadian rifles they're making.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#18]
This would be my choice.    Madsen 47    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqzqYQ7OPIo#t=175
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Spanish FR-8
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't select your entire rifle around whether it has a receiver peep sight.  That is too limiting.  Just get the bolt gun you want with the features you like.  If the receiver is drilled and tapped for scope mounts and the barrel for a front iron sight, you are good to go.

Then go to Brownells or similar and get a Williams receiver sight.  Williams makes one for just about every bolt gun ever made.  They are extremely rugged, and not expensive.  If the rifle does not have a front sight Brownells can help you sect the right height to match the Williams and a blade width for how you shoot - wide for combat, fine for target.  Some have interchangeable blades and protective hoods, too.

Here is a Williams rear peep on my single shot .45-70.  For fast shooting you unscrew the aperture and have a ghost ring.  You screw in the aperture for target shooting.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Savage also has the hog-hunter with rifle-sights...

~$400-500...
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Thinking differently here....

Swedish mauser with Elit Edstrom diopters.
Tanker Garand in .308
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:59:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I wonder if Tikka will sell those Canadian rifles they're making.
View Quote

Hell yes, that would be awesome.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Honestly, other than for the cost of ammo, that Enfield is probably your best bet.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

~$400-500...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~$400-500...

I want one of those

The sights look great for fast close up shots.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Pretty rugged sights on the Lee-Enfield.   Use the money you'd spend on a new rifle and get a cheap Lee hand loader and some factory ammo to reload after you shoot it.  And shoot it.  
Although, not sure if the No 4 Lee-Enfield will stand the test of time?
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I want one of those

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

~$400-500...

I want one of those

I just got a hog hunter. Took the open sights off before I ever fired a shot.

Which is weird cause I love iron sights. I paid for a front sight installation and a necg peep for my ruger m77. A peep sighted 7x57 makes a great stalking rifle.

I got the savage for a precision rig build
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#28]
CZ 527 in 7.62X39  Add a Williams peep sight.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
CZ 527 in 7.62X39  Add a Williams peep sight.
View Quote

awesome little gun
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Savage Hog Hunter?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top