Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2015 12:07:28 PM EDT
It's a cool rifle for sure but is it the cats meow?

At the current price drop to $1,200 (if you shop around) this rifle is probably worth another look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6lrI5oTXGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6lrI5oTXGA
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw this review the other day, I even thought about putting a link to it in my big ARX thread but I had to go throw some hay.

I don't really disagree with anything said in the review.

I think the ARX is a great buy for $1200.00. The ARX is not really a "should I get this or an AR" type of gun, it's more of a "should I get this or a SCAR" type of gun.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw this review the other day, I even thought about putting a link to it in my big ARX thread but I had to go throw some hay.

I think the ARX is a great buy for $1200.00. The ARX is not really a "should I get this or an AR" type of gun, it's more of a "should I get this or a SCAR" type of gun.
View Quote

I really like SCAR's ... more so the SCAR 17 though.

I agree it's not really a ARX vs Ar type of gun.  I see this as something to go up against the ACR more so than the SCAR16, mostly because of the price / quality gap between the ARX / ACR and the SCAR.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I agree it's not really a ARX vs Ar type of gun.  I see this as something to go up against the ACR more so than the SCAR16, mostly because of the price / quality gap between the ARX / ACR and the SCAR.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a hard time deciding between all of these 3rd Gen rifles at first but price is not so much of a factor for me as features are. If the ARX never came down below MSRP I still would have bought it over either the SCAR or ACR.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What quality gap? The ARX is a very high quality rifle.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#5]
My take is that it isn't really a quality gap between the ARX and SCAR so much as difference in repairability.

The stud for holding the stock closed and the stock hinge are two examples that come to mind. On the SCAR those are removable items, while on the ARX they are molded parts of the receiver. Break one and you're replacing the ARX's whole receiver, while on a SCAR you could replace only the affected part.

OTOH, given the price difference, is one SCAR more durable long term than two ARXes? I suspect not.

Plus, you could buy a ARX and two spare barrels for the price of one SCAR.

AJ
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't implying the ARX wasn't a quality rifle, I simply think the SCAR is a higher quality.  One example of that would be accuracy.

One could certainly argue that the SCAR 16 isn't worth twice as much as a ARX-100 but the SCAR 16 is a higher quality rifle.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wasn't implying the ARX wasn't a quality rifle, I simply think the SCAR is a higher quality.  One example of that would be accuracy.

One could certainly argue that the SCAR 16 isn't worth twice as much as a ARX-100 but the SCAR 16 is a higher quality rifle.
View Quote

I don't think that the accuracy difference between the two is a quality issue, I think it's because they use two completely different quick detach barrel systems.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 5:22:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't think that the accuracy difference between the two is a quality issue, I think it's because they use two completely different quick detach barrel systems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Accuracy is a function of design features related to bbl retention, profile, etc.  While both rifles have end-user removable bbls, only 1 of them is truly QD.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 7:06:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Accuracy is a function of design features related to bbl retention, profile, etc.  While both rifles have end-user removable bbls, only 1 of them is truly QD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never taken a barrel off a SCAR... How involved is it?
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Six captive Torx screws and the barrel lifts right out. Takes maybe two-three minutes.

AJ
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Six captive Torx screws and the barrel lifts right out. Takes maybe two-three minutes.

AJ
View Quote

Thanks for the info. So the ARX (and ACR) are definitely way faster but may sacrifice some precision in the process.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:57:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. So the ARX (and ACR) are definitely way faster but may sacrifice some precision in the process.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AJ

maybe, maybe not.  no point in speculating
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Personally I'd suffer a longer swap-out process if it meant better accuracy.
As an owner of both Beretta and FN firearms I'd be surprised if either of these wasn't very good quality platforms.
But the current price points makes the ARX look very good. Wish one of my local ranges had either of these to rent.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AJ

Hence the use of the word "may".

I'm mounting optics on my ARX in the next few weeks so I can get a true feel for how accurate it is.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:38:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup. And I got a SCAR.
I would like to get one of these though
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:58:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Actually there is an answer about the SCAR16s durability. The owner of Battlezone, a high volume gun range/experience in Vegas, has posted the most fascinating thread over in the AR section where he documents all the failures of rifles with hundreds of thousands of rounds through them. Every rifle, especially ARs have suffered parts failures at many intervals through their life. One exception, their FN SCAR 16. For 3 years of heavy use, not a single failure or breakage. Until last week, the bolt finally broke!

The owner of the range said he did not care for the SCAR when it first came in. Mostly looks. But it is now his go to rifle. I don't own a SCAR, but after reading this thread I will be buying one soon and it will replace any of my ARs as my go to rifle.

Here is the thread. Well worth reading the many pages and posts. It is full of invaluable info. There is no one else in the world who runs more rounds through the same rifles in such a short period of time that I can think of.

I also sincerely doubt the ARX, or any other rifle out there right now can hold up like the SCAR. I own a few FN firearms and they are incredibly well built and engineered.

High round count AR/M4's (over 100,000 rounds) and how they have handled on our range
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Can anyone point me to a site with them for sale for $1,200.00?  

I would buy one today for that price, but all I see is Botach, who shows as out of stock on the 16"ers.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I would buy one today for that price, but all I see is Botach, who shows as out of stock on the 16"ers.

View Quote

I can not. Other then Botach they are still $1500-$1600 Rifles

I am not sure how this has become what folks believe they sell for everyday.  Lowest on GB is $1499 + $35 shipping and 2-3% for cc fees.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I am not sure how this has become what folks believe they sell for everyday.  Lowest on GB is $1499 + $35 shipping and 2-3% for cc fees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got mine for $1350 and it wasn't from Botach...
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Cool gun, but can't run all AR mags due to the goofy magwell.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Cool gun, but can't run all AR mags due to the goofy magwell.
View Quote

They operates with all the stanag mags types I own, the mag well isn't "goofy" - its magpuls "goofy" Gen 3 mag with that stop on the spine that prevents it from locking in .

-All USA GI mags (all types)

-Magpul Gen 1 & 2

-Troy

-Hexmag

-Mission First Tactical (MFT)

-Lancer

I believe it would be easy enough to put set the lower up on the mill and removing some material to allow the gen3's to lock in if it make someone lose sleep OR just Dremel the stop of the spine so its like every other AR mag.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Threw a wrench into my next gun purchase. $1200? Seems like a great deal.

What's the deal with the top rail though? I heard somewhere that it's polymer, or that it's only held in place with pins?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What's the deal with the top rail though? I heard somewhere that it's polymer, or that it's only held in place with pins?
View Quote

Top and side rails are aluminum. The top rail is held in place with 4 screws threaded into 2 steel press fit hexagonal inserts and one roll pin. Top rail screws have a high strength red threadlocker applied to them before installation.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
There not $1200 that was special at Botach.  Go on to GB and watch. More like $1500-$1600 on average, sure someone may score one for less but thats not the norm.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We had one in the shop and I like the concept but just couldn't get behind the execution.  

I really wanted to like it, but just couldn't and eventually we sold it.
View Quote

What did you not like about the execution?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#27]
If you already have a huge stash of Pmags I'd probably just mod the lower. They are $30 from Brownells: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/lower-receivers/lower-receiver-arx-100-prod68673.aspx?psize=96

AJ
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:18:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

If you already have a huge stash of Pmags I'd probably just mod the lower. They are $30 from Brownells: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/lower-receivers/lower-receiver-arx-100-prod68673.aspx?psize=96

AJ
View Quote
I really hoping some will make another lower that takes 3rd gens and takes AR grips.
Just like the way the scar lower is set up.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:33:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Personally I'd suffer a longer swap-out process if it meant better accuracy.
As an owner of both Beretta and FN firearms I'd be surprised if either of these wasn't very good quality platforms.
But the current price points makes the ARX look very good. Wish one of my local ranges had either of these to rent.
View Quote

My gripe with the 6 torx screw setup is that it relies on a tool & they can strip (which has happened).

I would prefer the stock & grip were removable, but in the case of the stock, that probably isn't possible because the upper is poly material.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:45:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Stiff safeties, under trigger guard mag release never worked properly, non picatinny standard rail under lower handguard cover, adjustable stock too short even at maximum extension, somewhat flimsy and cheap feeling construction were the main issues.

The stock and underside rail can be attributed to a dedign meant for miunting an Itslian undetbarrel grenade launcher and stock is meant for troops in body armor.

It worked fine, but for $1500+ there are a lot of other more refined and solid rifles out there. It felt like it was designed more for show and flash than real world hard use. Lots of nifty ideas but I have to wonder what level of actual field testing and feedback went into the actual design process.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We had one in the shop and I like the concept but just couldn't get behind the execution.  

Stiff safeties, under trigger guard mag release never worked properly, non picatinny standard rail under lower handguard cover, adjustable stock too short even at maximum extension, somewhat flimsy and cheap feeling construction were the main issues.

The stock and underside rail can be attributed to a dedign meant for miunting an Itslian undetbarrel grenade launcher and stock is meant for troops in body armor.

It worked fine, but for $1500+ there are a lot of other more refined and solid rifles out there. It felt like it was designed more for show and flash than real world hard use. Lots of nifty ideas but I have to wonder what level of actual field testing and feedback went into the actual design process.

All things that have been mentioned by a lot of people that have handled the ARX since it came out. I just find it odd that I have had none of the same issues with my ARX... I'm starting to wonder if maybe I love the ARX so much that I may have subconsciously turned on the blinders to these negative aspects of the design???
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the other hand, companies have gotten a lot of flak in the past for civilianizing their rifles too much.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally haven't had a problem with the underside mag release not working, but it could have more travel for a more positive feel.  I know there have been some reports of pic-rails breaking with mounted GL's, so I'm guessing, but the lower proprietary rail looks more stout, & probably is built that way specifically for that reason.  Of course, there's the accessory pic rail that mounts over the proprietary rail.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#34]
I've found the center mag release to be iffy with the HK translucent mags, which are my favorite in that rifle.

So I just use the left side mag release with my left thumb.

AJ
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

]
View Quote

The safety issues was a tough one, I wanted to give a good shake before deciding on it, so I ran it in a carbine class.  By the end of the class the safety was significantly easier to operate. I hate to say it needed to be broken in, but apparently they do.

The non standard rail underneath isn't that big of a deal to me, I really don't add much to the front underside of my rifle and if I felt so inclined, they make a full rail you can throw on if you need more space.

Even as a taller guy, the stock at full extension isn't that bad IMO.  I like getting a very forward check placement on my rifles though.  It's an easy swap out for the longer stock and I wonder if Beretta makes the longer one standard and the shorter one a secondary item at some point, since there have been so many complaints.

The more time I spend with it, the more I like it.  

All that said, it's predicated on the fact I got mine for $1,200 plus shipping and xfer.  They seem to be back up to the $1,500+ range (and no I didn't buy mine from botach when they had their sale, a bunch of places had them) and at that price point I would have bought another Tavor instead, lol.

In addition to being a shooter, I'm also a collector.  I look at the ARX100 not as the first (or only) rifle someone should buy, but something, that while being a novelty of sorts, can serve a serious purpose as well.

**** for those who don't believe they were "everywhere" for $1,200 recently, go to gunbroker, go to completed auctions, search for "arx100" and for price put $1,100 - $1,300  
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/Completed%2FBCI.aspx?Keywords=arx100&Timeframe=1&MinPrice=1100&MaxPrice=1311&Condition=2

There were at least 100 from various sellers and with buy it nows and/or no reserve.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 2:47:36 AM EDT
[#36]
not a huge fan and pretty much back up everything Manticore Arms says...   That said, gotta collect them all.   However, I will need to find a good price on a used one.   Overall it just seems like a $800 rifle at govt. prices (and that assumes Italian euro markup) on sale for us civvies at a much higher price.

But I just got this email, $1355 shipped:

http://grabagun.com/beretta-jxr11600-arx100-223-rfl-30rd.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top