Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2015 1:10:32 PM EDT
Local shop has one in .243 . I really wanted something in .308 , but am considering this .
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#1]
The Zastava Model 70, is a commercial rifle built on a Mauser 98 design action that dates from, surprise, surprise, 1970.  They've been making Mauser rifles since 1925 when they stared making the M24 under license from FN.

Zastava uses hammer forged barrels that are very smooth, very durable and thoroughly stress relieved.  I've owned two Mk Xs (in .243 Win and .308 Win, and two M85s (both in .22 Hornet) and all of them are sub MOA rifles.  The action and floor plate assembly are well made and the metal work in general is very nicely finished with a wonderful deep blue.  Zastava switched from a traditional mauser floor plate release to an easier to use cross bolt style release in the 1980s, but the design as otherwise remained unchanged.      

Interterms imported the M70 from 1970 until they closed their doors under their label as the Mk X, and after it was introduced in 1985, they started importing the short action M85 (chambered in .22 Hornet, .223, ,22-250, 7.62x39) as the Mini Mk X.  Interarms imported the Mk X and Mini Mk X as both complete rifles and as barreled actions and as such they formed the basis for many custom Mausers   The Interarms stocks were walnut in both classic and monte carlo with tenite cap designs and were nicely finished, although the checkering was pressed rather than cut, but nice for pressed checkering.  

After Interarms folded its tent, KBI started importing them under their Charles Daly banner, although with composite stocks.  

Remington also sold the Model 70 and Model 85 as the Remington 798 and Remington 799 respectively, this time with laminated stocks.

More recently Century Arms International has been importing them as the Zastava Model 70 and Zastava M85.   They order them with rather basic stock finish with all the charm of shoe polish, and checkering that is about half finished. The good news though is that under the preservative, the metal finish is as nice as ever and they are still very well made and very accurate shooting rifles.   Plus, given the Interarms Mk X/Mini Mk X and Remington 798/799 history, there are lots of aftermarket full inletted stocks available.

The Model 70 / Mk X / Rem 798 uses standard Mauser scope bases, while the M85 / Mini Mk X / Rem 799 uses it's own style but it's still available from Leopold and Weaver.  

The only negative I have involves the .22 Hornet versions which use an external magazine as spare magazines are incredibly hard to find.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Remington also sold the Model 70 and Model 85 as the Remington 798 and Remington 799 respectively, this time with laminated stocks.

View Quote

I have a Rem/Zastava 799 in 7.62x39.  A nice looking and well made rifle, I really like it.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#3]
So is this a good buy at under $400 out the door ?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd go for it.  I have been rolling around the thought of picking up a Zastava M808 myself.  Been thinking about it for the last 6 months or so, close to pulling the trigger.  I just like them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:55:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Local shop has one in .243 . I really wanted something in .308 , but am considering this .
View Quote

If you really wanted a thing in "x", wait for "x".
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I recently picked up a Zastava Model 70L (left hand) in 6.5 X 55 SE (6.5 Swede). It's marked with an import company's name I've never heard of before, "FIME Group, Las Vegas". Can anyone shed some light on this outfit? TIA for any answers submitted. Regards, Gary
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I recently picked up a Zastava Model 70L (left hand) in 6.5 X 55 SE (6.5 Swede). It's marked with an import company's name I've never heard of before, "FIME Group, Las Vegas". Can anyone shed some light on this outfit? TIA for any answers submitted. Regards, Gary
View Quote

http://www.fimegroup.com/home.php

I came very close to picking up a Zastava M808 in 6.5 Swede, ended up getting a Tikka T3 in the same caliber instead.

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have seen these rifles show up from time to time at a local gunshop but never really paid them much mind. I am looking at maybe starting to get into hunting deer and stuff, would they make a decent rifle for a newb hunter?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have seen these rifles show up from time to time at a local gunshop but never really paid them much mind. I am looking at maybe starting to get into hunting deer and stuff, would they make a decent rifle for a newb hunter?
View Quote

It would make a fine hunting rifle in my opinion. I'll admit that I'm partial to these types of rifles since they are based on the Mauser 98 action, and are well known to be rugged and reliable. The design is dated at this point, but still sets the standard in terms of reliability.

Realistically, most of the new budget rifles, like those by Ruger and Savage are fine shooting rifles, and may even out shoot the Zastava by a small amount. But these budget rifles have plastic stocks and trigger guards, and other cost saving parts. The Zastava will have all milled steel parts. I have a recent Zastava, and most parts on it are interchangeable with a sporterized 1914 Mauser 98 I also have. No contest for me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Brian252, I believe these would suit me just fine then. In don't need anything too fancy and if they are sturdy, even better. Are they hefty enough that recoil isn't too bad, in say like a 30-06?  
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#11]
We probably think alike then. I have the Zastava in 30-06. It weighs around 8 pounds with a wood stock, and the scope and mounts add another pound. So it is heavier than most of the plastic stocked rifles out there. The weight makes the recoil pretty reasonable for 30-06. If recoil was an issue, the stock rubber recoil pad could be replaced with a $30 thick, spongy one, like from limb saver. They definitely help. Most of the budget bolt actions have alot more plastic parts, so they do weigh a pound or two less, but you feel the recoil more.

I have an entry level Savage in 308 that is lighter, but it does include a very spongy recoil pad that makes shooting it tolerable. But weight is weight, and a heavier rifle will be easier to shoot. I put lots of 30-06 through my M1917 Enfield with no problems, but that rifle weighed close to 10 pounds and mil-spec 30-06 is not loaded hot.

Overall, I am very pleased with my Zastava. It's a little heavier than some rifles, but all the parts are very solid, and my rifle is completely reliable.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 7:57:17 PM EDT
[#12]
The only Zastava longguns I had any experience with were some full auto RPK clones.  I didn't care for the weapons, but they came with magazines that had a little projection on one side that would catch the magwell and to guide the magazine in without getting hung up.  I thought that was slick.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:49:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It would make a fine hunting rifle in my opinion. I'll admit that I'm partial to these types of rifles since they are based on the Mauser 98 action, and are well known to be rugged and reliable. The design is dated at this point, but still sets the standard in terms of reliability.

Realistically, most of the new budget rifles, like those by Ruger and Savage are fine shooting rifles, and may even out shoot the Zastava by a small amount. But these budget rifles have plastic stocks and trigger guards, and other cost saving parts. The Zastava will have all milled steel parts. I have a recent Zastava, and most parts on it are interchangeable with a sporterized 1914 Mauser 98 I also have. No contest for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know... the Rem 700 action is also based on the Mauser action (I've been told). A Rem 700 SPS Tactical (20" barrel in 308win) is only about $600 shipped. For $200 more you get a gun you can easily enough get customer service for, aftermarket parts are EVERYWHERE, most any smith can work on it, and I think it'll be a LOT easier to set up with an optic and anything else. Also, should be sub-MOA out of the box.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You know... the Rem 700 action is also based on the Mauser action (I've been told). A Rem 700 SPS Tactical (20" barrel in 308win) is only about $600 shipped. For $200 more you get a gun you can easily enough get customer service for, aftermarket parts are EVERYWHERE, most any smith can work on it, and I think it'll be a LOT easier to set up with an optic and anything else. Also, should be sub-MOA out of the box.

Just a thought.
View Quote
They are very distant relatives.  

P14 and M1917 Enfields were based on the Mauser 98 and Remington made a bunch of them just before and during WWI.

In 1921, Remington started making the Model 30 as a sporter rifle based on the M1917.  Remington eliminated the sight ears from the M1917, and straightened the floor plate which improved the looks of the Model 30, and they shortened the barrel to a more practical 24".  

The Model 720 replaced the Model 30 in 1940.  It was again based on the M98/M1917/Model 30.

In 1948, Remington replaced the 720 with the 721 and 722 (long and short actions respectively).

The 721/722 was significantly redesigned to reduce the cost of production with:
- a  round profile receiver machined on a lathe rather than milled from a billet;
- a steel plate recoil lug sandwiched between the barrel and receiver;
- a small extractor in the bolt face, rather than the Mauser style claw extractor;
- a plunger ejector in the bolt rather than a blade on the bolt release;
- a multiple piece bolt; and
- a new trigger and safety.

In short, it was no longer a Mauser 98 in any sense of the word other than having a pair of forward locking lugs at the front of the bolt. .

The Rem 700 replaced the Remington 721 and 722 in 1962.  It was a refinement of the Model 721/722  to make it even more amenable to mass production.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top