Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2015 9:27:57 PM EDT
I have been slowly modding this beast for the past few years, and I finally got around to removing the faux flash hider.  We made a custom jig to hold the barrel, out of aluminum bar stock.  I'm not sure if the aluminum wrecked the park or if it's just been deposited onto the barrel.  Should have put a piece of leather or a rag in between the jig and the barrel I guess.
 We had to get the device cherry red hot with an oxyacetylene torch and then use a pipe wrench on the faux device.  it took three rounds but finally spun off.  The threads are very long.  
I threw on an AAC flash hider and there was still 1/2"+ of threads--it took three crush washers to fill the gap.  What should I use to fill this gap?  I plan on suppressing this rifle, so crush washers are a no-go.

What I wish someone would make:  A nice aftermarket grip or AR grip adapter, and a stock adapter that is not as big as the gun.  I'm glad for the adapters we have, but look at the back of the gun.  It looks cobbled together.
 Barrel after being fastened in aluminum jig and some super wrenching action.  You can see the barrel still moved before the Faux muzzle device did.

After faux device has been removed and threads cleaned up with a die.  Normal AR thread.  just super long.  You can still see some shiny brazing in the threads.

Before crush washer spacers, then after.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, that's beautiful.

One day I will have one
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I took the original muzzle thing that came with it and cut off the bottom portion and screwed it back on.  I ground it down until the remaining threads were the proper length for an A1 flash hider.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks better if you shorten the barrel to the minimal legal length:

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#4]
14.5"?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:07:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I took the original muzzle thing that came with it and cut off the bottom portion and screwed it back on.  I ground it down until the remaining threads were the proper length for an A1 flash hider.
View Quote

Nice idea.  Any accuracy changes?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not trying to hijack your thread but what length stock is that. I'm in the process of deneutering mine.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:50:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
14.5"?
View Quote

Pinned 16"
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:45:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Check out Daewoo Rifle Parts.He sells the jamb nut you need to fill the gap.The flash hider was silver soldered,not brazed.That's why it was so hard to remove it.Sweet rifle,looks like aluminum stuck on the barrel.Try a brass brush to remove it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm not trying to hijack your thread but what length stock is that. I'm in the process of deneutering mine.
View Quote

It was the shortest one, or the next to shortest,  once the adapter is on it adds length plus the shorter stock and it was about right for me.  I'm 5'9".  If it's not right you can change out the butt pad.

I had an AK with this stock and I went with the longer stock and the stock plus external AK adapter made LOP way too long.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Check out Daewoo Rifle Parts.He sells the jamb nut you need to fill the gap.The flash hider was silver soldered,not brazed.That's why it was so hard to remove it.Sweet rifle,looks like aluminum stuck on the barrel.Try a brass brush to remove it.
View Quote

I'll check him out--that's where I got my safety from.
Isn't silver solder a much lower melting point than a brazing rod's?  that is what I recall from HVAC soldering.  No matter, it was a difficult removal.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shot the same as before.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Isn't silver solder a much lower melting point than a brazing rod's?  that is what I recall from HVAC soldering.  No matter, it was a difficult removal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had two of the Daewoos I took the faux flashhider off of.   They used a shit ton of silver solder on them.  Had to unscrew the flashhider fast before it rehardened.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top