Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2015 10:36:46 AM EDT
Dumb question, I know, but most lowers say mil spec and don't know if "MIL-A-8625F Type III Class 2 Hardcoat Anodized Finish" is the same thing as "mil spec"

http://www.spikestactical.com/lower-multi-forged-pirate-parley-plunder-and-arr-p-564.html
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Same thing, Type III is the thickest anodizing I think they offer on lowers, I believe Class 2 just means it has a dye. All the spikes lowers should be "mil-spec" or better in every aspect.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#2]
This guy would beg to differ on whether Spikes lowers are milspec.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless the parts are government inspected, it's not milspec. It's a totally overused, inaccurate word.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless the parts are government inspected, it's not milspec. It's a totally overused, inaccurate word.
View Quote

This.

And I have yet to find a mil spec for a semi-auto AR15.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Umm, what? Inspections have nothing to do with it. It just means it meets US Military Standards(MIL-STD-961, 962 and 967 mostly). Actual inspections have nothing to do with anything. And I hate to break it to you, the vast majority of "milspec" government property is never inspected by anyone in the government. They will be QC'd by the non government manufacturer and that's it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dumb question, I know, but most lowers say mil spec and don't know if "MIL-A-8625F Type III Class 2 Hardcoat Anodized Finish" is the same thing as "mil spec"

http://www.spikestactical.com/lower-multi-forged-pirate-parley-plunder-and-arr-p-564.html
View Quote

No.  Spike's has their stuff made to surpass mil-spec.  So they are SpikeSpec.  Don't you know???????????
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

What are you talking about?

You think the government gives white glove inspection to every m4 they get in?

Mil spec means built to military specifications, nothing more.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No semi-auto receiver meets mil spec. They can claim to be, but they aren't. As someone has already said, show me the mil spec for a semi auto receiver. A mil spec lower will be market "Property of US Government" and will have the auto sear hole.

If the OP is concerned of meeting the mil spec for finish, which is the lowest acceptable standard, OK. If he wants a mil spec lower receiver, you can't legally own one.

Sorry about the whole inspection thing. I guess I can't believe what I read in magazines. But I do know for a fact nobody can own a true mil spec lower.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No semi-auto receiver meets mil spec. They can claim to be, but they aren't. As someone has already said, show me the mil spec for a semi auto receiver. A mil spec lower will be market "Property of US Government" and will have the auto sear hole.

If the OP is concerned of meeting the mil spec for finish, which is the lowest acceptable standard, OK. If he wants a mil spec lower receiver, you can't legally own one.

Sorry about the whole inspection thing. I guess I can't believe what I read in magazines. But I do know for a fact nobody can own a true mil spec lower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd beg to differ.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'd beg to differ.

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/rbdub474/media/DSCN0851_zpsf427aa43.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac212/rbdub474/DSCN0851_zpsf427aa43.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd beg to differ.

<a href="http://s901.photobucket.com/user/rbdub474/media/DSCN0851_zpsf427aa43.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac212/rbdub474/DSCN0851_zpsf427aa43.jpg</a>

I've never seen milspec for an AR-15 marked rifle. I might be wrong at that, but last I knew the military weapons were marked M-16 or M-4.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:46:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've never seen milspec for an AR-15 marked rifle. I might be wrong at that, but last I knew the military weapons were marked M-16 or M-4.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd beg to differ.

A lot of the early ones were marked AR15.  Here is a link with some more info:

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=23&t=351482

I had my registered receiver engraved with US Prop markings.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#14]
So you don't have a real, what everyone is calling "milspec" lower. You created a replica of one.

Someone can engrave "Property Of US Government" on an Alexander Armament lower, does that then make it "milspec"?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So you don't have a real, what everyone is calling "milspec" lower. You created a replica of one.

Someone can engrave "Property Of US Government" on an Alexander Armament lower, does that then make it "milspec"?
View Quote

I think his intent was to show the full auto capability.  Not the rollstamp or engraving.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
It is mil spec.  It came from the same factory with the same materials, specs, finish and full auto capability as any other Colt of the time and was built per the technical data package which is what provides the military specifications.  The only difference is mine went into the civilian world as opposed to going to the military, which last time I checked didn't affect any specifications that Colt was adhering to.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are quite a few transferable US property marked M16's for sale.  They are over runs sold to LE and later traded/sold to SOTS.

There are a few listed here ....

Example .....

Example .......
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#18]
OK. 29 years ago, a private citizen could purchase a new milspec M16. There are no currently manufactured lowers, like the Spike's, that are available to someone who is not a manufacturer, NFA dealer with a demo letter, LE agency or military, that are milspec.

I'm assuming the OP is not an SOT, or else he probably wouldn't have asked that question.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It is mil spec.  It came from the same factory with the same materials, specs, finish and full auto capability as any other Colt of the time and was built per the technical data package which is what provides the military specifications.  The only difference is mine went into the civilian world as opposed to going to the military, which last time I checked didn't affect any specifications that Colt was adhering to.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if you really want to nitpick, since the engraving was not done at the factory, it did not fully meet the milspec requirements. The manufacturing part of the specs,yes, but it's not completely "milspec". Very nice replica of a true milspec M16, though.

I can't afford a Colt 16 until the ATF finishes their background and sends me our 07 and we pay the SOT. After that, I'll gladly pay $850+/- for an LE trade-in milspec Colt M4!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top