Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2015 1:11:23 PM EDT
So the other day I went to my local ffl and asked about ar pistols. He stated the Atf no longer approved ar pistol building. I am in PA by the way and I'm having a hard time believing him on this one. So has the ATf really made a statement that a private citizen can no longer build an ar15 pistol or is he just giving me the run around?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So the other day I went to my local ffl and asked about ar pistols. He stated the Atf no longer approved ar pistol building. I am in PA by the way and I'm having a hard time believing him on this one. So has the ATf really made a statement that a private citizen can no longer build an ar15 pistol or is he just giving me the run around?
View Quote

Well considering receivers are classified under "other" on the 4473, and can only be sold to someone 21 years of age or older since they CAN be built into a pistol... I'm calling BS
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Guy is full of shit dont you know you should always come  here for legal advice
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Time to find a new dealer.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#4]
He wants to sell you a Judge.

Thats all you need
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats what I thought short of me shooting off my own letter to the ATF. I was just hoping I didn't miss something cause of the crap about the aft possible want to reclassify it as a sbr/aow.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#7]
not sure where you are in PA, but I would recommend finding another FFL.

my guy operates out of a hardware store built in the 1800s, $30 transfers.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Gun shop guy says...

I just smile and look at prices.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Im in SEPA, just found it really strange since he has been good about not BSing me, or may be he just wants me to but the DDMK18 pistol. It's nice but I'm not dropping $1,4 and some change in it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:38:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Im in SEPA, just found it really strange since he has been good about not BSing me, or may be he just wants me to but the DDMK18 pistol. It's nice but I'm not dropping $1,4 and some change in it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm guessing this is it
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:43:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Hmmm I'm interested in which dealer this is
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#12]
He is wrong.  The transfer is done as 'Other.'  It's up to you to make it a pistol first, if it will ever be a pistol.

There is no rule prohibiting pistol builds.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:10:35 AM EDT
[#13]
It is funny this thread came up.  I had a dealer here in Virginia tell me the same thing a few weeks ago.  He told me the change was being reclassified.  I haven't seen anything about this myself.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#14]
dealer is full of it.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#15]
For some reason there is wholesale bullshit spewing from PA FFL's concerning building AR pistols.

You do have to be 21. You can build a rifle or handgun with it. You do not have to fill out the PSP handgun form (for the sales database that is somehow not registration) because a lower is not a handgun.

If the FFL wants to argue or try to tell you different, go elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Some of them are so full of shit.
when i did a sbr and a sbs a couple c3's told me i couldnt chop my own bbl. Had to pay a sot to do it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I can't buy lowers anymore in CT and not claiming to know anything about this, but do you need a pistol permit to buy an "other" lower?  If a person didn't have a pistol permit, I can see building a pistol would be no go.  I'm only referring permit states.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I can't buy lowers anymore in CT and not claiming to know anything about this, but do you need a pistol permit to buy an "other" lower?  If a person didn't have a pistol permit, I can see building a pistol would be no go.  I'm only referring permit states.
View Quote

I just bought a stripped lower in PA.

No pistol registration form needed. It transfers on 4473 as "OTHER".

SEPA gun shops are full of fucking morons on both sides of the counter.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Never go back.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#20]
No prohibition on the Federal level. I know nothing of PA law.

Your dealer is probably confusing the various official and unofficial opinions regarding the use of the Sig Brace (also not illegal) and AR pistol builds.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Theres a lot of worthless gun shops in the western part of the state too.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#22]
There can be that's why it's such a pain in the a$$ to get an answer for a question.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:28:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:03:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thats what I thought short of me shooting off my own letter to the ATF. I was just hoping I didn't miss something cause of the crap about the aft possible want to reclassify it as a sbr/aow.
View Quote

God, please dont write letters to the atf.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:05:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!  Read the current regulations (published on the web), but for the love of all that's holy, don't write them a letter!!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:22:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top