Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2015 1:17:22 AM EDT
My kit consist of odds and ends I've collected over the last 40 years.  I have supplies from over 6 different manufactures.  It's frustrating trying to clean any gun.  I do have the right parts somewhere but it takes time to get the right combination.  What I need is a new kit that will do all caliber and gages for both pistol and rifle that are contained in an organized box.  Also, are Bore Snakes effective and useful? I've never used them before.  What do you guys suggest?  I shoot .17, .22, 5.56, 7.62,  40 and 45 cal and 12 gage.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:19:18 AM EDT
[#1]
CLP, AP brush, boresnakes.

I've always had good luck with boresnakes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:36:24 AM EDT
[#2]
What.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:28:59 AM EDT
[#3]
There are plenty of options out there that are exactly what you're looking for. Midway USA and Brownells both have nice versions available. Be prepared to spend around $100 or more. I have a nice one from Midway and it keeps all my goodies in one place and accessible. This looks like a good option:
http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/cleaning-kits/universal-cleaning-kits/extreme-duty-cleaning-kit-prod75001.aspx?psize=96
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:03:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If you've already got stuff, don't buy more stuff!  Take a look at what you have and don't be hesitant to throw stuff out.   Do you have stuff that is half worn out but still good?  Toss half of that away, keeping only the best.  

If you want, treat  yourself to one big new tacklebox and put everything in there, or buy a small, simple plastic toolbox and organize by caliber.  

The .17 will need to be separate, the .22 and 5.56 can go together, probably the .40 and .45 can go together, 12 ga. will need to be separate.  

Numerous cleaning rods?  Toss 'em and keep only the best one of each caliber.  Boresnakes  do work well; I use Sweet's on the bristle part, and wash by hand with warm water in the sink when they get dirty.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CLP, AP brush, boresnakes.

I've always had good luck with boresnakes.
View Quote

This is all I do anymore.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:29:29 AM EDT
[#6]
To complicate things I have some one piece rods I kind of like.  Bore Snakes would solve so storage problems.  I never used them before, how do you clean them?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:37:25 AM EDT
[#7]
IDK, never have cleaned any of my snakes  But they are supposed to be machine washable. Considering they pick up a lot of gunshot residue which includes lead ans mercury I'd be hesitant to.

If I were to ever clean them, I'd probably hit them with some dawn and soapy water, rinse them out real well and let them air dry fully.

Also...  dawn and hot water make for an additional resource for cleaning parts.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:40:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I use bore snakes

I really don't use them that much, so i really don't need to clean them
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:56:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
To complicate things I have some one piece rods I kind of like.  Bore Snakes would solve so storage problems.  I never used them before, how do you clean them?
View Quote

Just put them in an old Gatorade bottle with a little dish soap and water. Then rinse in the sink and hang them up to dry.

I honestly don't remember the last time I used a cleaning rod. Foaming bore cleaner, Ballistol and boresnakes, that's pretty much all I use nowadays.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 5:13:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a bore snake for each caliber I use (.22lr, 9mm/38/.357, .45acp, 12ga shotgun).  I'm starting to use a Patch Worm for my .22lr and .38/.357 pistols and 10/22 and AR-15 rifles.  I also have nylon bore brushes with the twisted wire handles for my pistols.  All of this is much easier to use and organize.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:03:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Just put them in an old Gatorade bottle with a little dish soap and water. Then rinse in the sink and hang them up to dry.

I honestly don't remember the last time I used a cleaning rod. Foaming bore cleaner, Ballistol and boresnakes, that's pretty much all I use nowadays.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hand-wash them in the sink and hang them up to dry.  

I don't use my cleaning rod much, but I keep it around.  As useful as bore snakes are, you can't use one to remove a stuck case or a bore obstruction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top