Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2015 12:12:47 PM EDT
How was the process? Are you happy with the result? Where did you purchase your parts kit?

Pics are also appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes = UZI built with McKay receiver and a RTG parts kit. Works perfect. Well over 1000 rounds with no problems. Works fine with all kinds of ammo.  I use it regularly in matches.

Easy build. Except for welding the blocking tab into the trigger group the rest is just plug and play.

I SBR'd it it so $40 for engraving
$40 to parkerize
$225 welded up receiver
$225 Semi bolt
$120 barrel
Parts kit $140
almost forgot $200 stamp

You gotta want to build it as it does not save money. After you finish it sure is nice to shoot something you put together yourself.

The wood stock with the inlayed UZI is something I do myself.

The wood stock which is quick disconect, with a 16 inch barrel makes the overall length 25.5 with the stock removed. So be careful you do not end up with an SBR unless you get the stamp.
The folding metal stock is fine to use as length is measured extended.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Not an Uzi-owner, but link to Uzi thread.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I did one with the already welded up receiver.

Much like most AR's, not so much a "build" as an assembly.

The blasting and parkerizing were both new to me, so they were a bit challenging, but uneventful.

Shoots great. Easy hole in one groups at 25 yards. Very reliable at over 500 rounds. Lost count.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=124025.0;nowap

Really need to get this SBR'd...

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Any special tools needed to do this?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:09:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been debating an UZI build for the past couple of weeks. Kinda hesitant because you don't see many of them out there. Waiting on McKay to get the semi auto bolts back in stock.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any special tools needed to do this?
View Quote

For the already welded receiver, you will need a welder to weld in the denial feature in your lower.

Other than finish tools ( ex: sandblaster,  stainless tank and electric stove-top heater for parkerizing), the rest is just common stuff like punches, maybe files, and screwdrivers.

Highly recommend sandblasting prior to paint or park finish. I made a sandblasting setup for less than $50. It's stickied in the finishing forum.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been debating an UZI build for the past couple of weeks. Kinda hesitant because you don't see many of them out there. Waiting on McKay to get the semi auto bolts back in stock.
View Quote

Nothing to be hesitant about. Pistol caliber carbines are just not super popular, and the UZI is considered more of a novelty since there are lighter, more practical options available.
Well, that and everyone here is caught up with their AR's

But if you love the classic look of the UZI, and want a fun shooter with little recoil, go for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top